Ever wonder how to begin a meditation practice? Or maybe rekindle a forgotten one?
Since I have an 8-year history of doing both, I consider myself an expert on this matter. I’d like to offer you these really simple steps towards building your own practice.
1. Go to a new acupuncturist who asks you if you meditate.
2. Say yes.
3. Feel guilty that you either don’t or haven’t for at least three months.
4. Forget that conversation.
5. Remember it about a week later.
6. Check Twitter.
7. Check Facebook.
8. F*ck it, check Google+.
9. Look at your iPhone and decide to set your timer. Seven minutes is good ’cause it’s probably longer than you can hold your breath underwater.
10. Close your eyes. (Some say you should keep your eyes slightly open but I find that too distracting.)
11. Think of something you can repeat over and over so you don’t freak out. I like to think of the words clear or God, but Justin Bieber will work too.
12. Marvel at your fortitude and decide you should write an article about this.
13. Remember how nice it feels to meditate. And then wonder if you should get your hair cut.
14. Get excited when your timer goes off. You did it!
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 2,287 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 9,780 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 12,298 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 19,546 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 3,043 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 210 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 3,596 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,137 shares A Cure for our Single Status. 514 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 91 shares