Eight (ashta) reasons why ashtangis make the best friends.
- Reliable: Ashtangis are nothing if not consistent. One doesn’t just fall into a six-day a week practice. Ashtanga yoga requires reliability and dedication. Slackers need not apply.
- Loyal: Ashtangis are loyal, sometimes to a fault. Many ashtangis have been practicing with the same teacher, in the same room, and usually in the same spot (down to the floorboard) for years. But this translates to devoted friends, too.
- Punctual: Crowded shalas, busy modern day schedules, and long programs mean that ashtangis are not only time-sensitive, but also time-efficient. Ashtangis will be right on time for your events, most a good fifteen minutes early.
- Great for Parties: OK, so the party will have to be on a Friday, but when conversation gets boring there is nothing more entertaining than a little leg-behind-the-head or karandavasana. Plus you don’t have to worry about ashtangis drinking all your alcohol.
- Self-sufficient: There is no coddling in the Mysore room. This makes ashtangis a fiercely independent bunch. Your Ashtanga friends will give you your space and be grateful when you are able to connect. After all, life is about sangha.
- Great wing-people: Can you say designated driver? Not only do ashtangis look good (and you know what they say about bird’s of a feather), but you also won’t have to worry about them overstaying welcome when you meet that special someone, since ashtangis usually have to get up at five in the morning the next day.
- Worldly: Many ashtangis have travelled the world for their practice. Most go to Mysore, the home of Ashtanga yoga, but with incredible teachers around the globe, the travel destinations and the accompanying stories are endless.
- Strong: There are over 30 chaturangas in Primary series alone. Holy upper body strength. This makes your ashtangi friend the best candidate for moving day and any other physical errands you need help with.
Be kind to your ashtangi friends.
We work hard every day in our practice and if we miss a few events or nights on the town for our early morning sadhana, it is not because we don’t love you. We are doing this practice to be better people for you, our loved ones.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 74 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,094 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 28,038 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 12,404 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 3,480 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 4,016 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 225 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,239 shares A Cure for our Single Status. 514 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 109 shares