Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 6.0
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
263
726.8k

This video will do in five minutes what takes your meditation two hours.

What separates “boring” from “peaceful”?

Arguably it is the magic and beauty of innocence that emerges when we are truly open. Anyone who has practiced sitting meditation for more than a few minutes knows that you have to sit through a lot of “boring” (and sometimes worse) before the peace and magic begins.

This video of a baby’s first bath, on the other hand, cuts straight to the chase!

Bonus: How We Can (Quickly) Wake Up Our Minds to the Present Moment.

~

Read more:

15 Special Tips for My Pregnant Friends.

The Pregnant Goddess is an Electrified Being! ~ Carole Westerman

~

Editor: Tanya L. Markul, Photo courtesy: Kristin Luce

A mindful tip for a morning to determine our day:

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 6.0
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
263
726.8k

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Apr 5, 2016 3:33pm

Thank you. Thank you so much.

anonymous Mar 29, 2016 11:15am

this made me cry and want a baby at 56….so very gentle, kind and loving….everyone deserves this

anonymous Mar 29, 2016 11:14am

I am having an immense urge to be the nurturer and the receiver from watching this vid. There is no question. But there is an answer.. These 2 beings are both. Blessings. 🙂

anonymous Mar 26, 2016 9:49am

If this video doesn't warm and open your heart nothing will. I was deeply moved by the unconditional love of the nurse as she nurtured and caressed the amazing gift of life expressed through the child.

anonymous Mar 26, 2016 9:49am

Sadly, not all babies enjoy water around them or over them, but most of them love a gentle massage (make sure the room is very warm).

anonymous Mar 24, 2016 6:43pm

Wooow This is amazing

anonymous Feb 2, 2016 1:41pm

anonymous Nov 18, 2015 5:49am

Beautiful and veryyy inspiring thank you so much

anonymous Oct 2, 2015 10:33am

So After This Article I will ever never skip my morning meditation

anonymous Sep 14, 2015 4:59pm

I don't know what's more touching the softness of the baby or the gentle caress of the woman…beautiful human contact.

anonymous Sep 8, 2015 8:32am

yes im sure correct and i will share it.

anonymous Aug 28, 2015 3:56pm

Wow so touching. You reminded me of a day when I wanted to bathe my baby and I submerged her thinking that she will hold her breath, she almost suffocated.

anonymous Aug 18, 2015 12:09pm

Mothers! do not allow this. This is part of what’s causing our increased lack of connection. It is important to the development of a baby, physically and psychologically that such an important, intimate bonding moment happen between mother and baby. It does more harm than good for this nurse to steal such an important, experience from both mother and baby. If she thinks it’s a valuable experience, let her show the mother. How DARE she do it herself!

anonymous Jun 4, 2015 4:53am

I get that she's simulating the womb experience with all the water, but it made me nervous too. I just would worry about covering the baby's face with water like that and she seemed obsessed with submerging his/her head under the water.

anonymous Jun 1, 2015 6:12am

Thank you for sharing.

anonymous May 27, 2015 6:55am

thanks so much for that greatarticle and usefull information.
Jobs In Saudi Arabia

Solutiondots

Jobs In Riyadh

Jobs In Jeddah

Electrical Engineer Jobs in Saudi Arabia

anonymous May 16, 2015 10:50am

Gorgeous, tender, calm, loving. I am so grateful to witness. Thank You.

anonymous May 16, 2015 10:48am

Beautiful. I wish every baby's first bath was like this. Pure love.

anonymous May 5, 2015 2:08pm

Beautiful and inspiring thank you

anonymous Mar 2, 2015 11:39am

Wow this is great! Thanks so much for sharing this

anonymous Feb 2, 2015 7:18pm

thank you for the awesome article i do like it so much

anonymous Jan 28, 2015 12:45am

I have shared this on my page for my baby shop, absolutely wonderful and brings me back to when my children were small, my daughter loved the bath my son the shower, He loved the water running over him,….still does. Beautiful!

anonymous Dec 24, 2014 8:50pm

I wish I lived in a society where grandmamas passed this kind of loving, nurturing, and reverence on to their daughter and sons when they had babies

anonymous Dec 11, 2014 7:55am

I meditate to help me to clear my mind of 5 lost babies and the blame I have put on myself and the feelings of failure at not being a mother so to see this as a comparison to meditating was actually upsetting for me and not what I expected to see at all. Be kind for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind. Maybe I am unusual to not be able to ‘skip my morning meditation and watch this instead’ but this is due to loss and grief not something critical. It’s just not what I expected that’s all.

anonymous Dec 11, 2014 9:20am

Dear Sharon,
    I'm sorry to hear about your babies. This video is not for everyone. We have many other great articles about meditation. Give a different one a try please.

anonymous Dec 5, 2014 2:17pm

Beautiful and inspiring thank you

anonymous Aug 22, 2014 6:06am

Thank so much Mrs. Kristin Luce . This article is very amazing. I am newly married when i will get baby i want to see this video. I keep up this site .

anonymous May 20, 2014 6:38pm

Perfect transaction!

anonymous Jan 26, 2014 9:31am

fell in love with all through this thanks

anonymous Jan 9, 2014 7:47am

SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL, AND HEART WARMING…THANKS!!!

anonymous Dec 7, 2013 4:39am

anonymous Oct 26, 2013 9:52am

just beautiful.. 🙂

anonymous Oct 24, 2013 10:17am

YES …… Peace.

anonymous Aug 30, 2013 6:47pm

Unless water is your fear

anonymous Aug 3, 2013 3:36pm

Some days I just can't deal with people who need to find fault with everything, even something as beautiful as this. It makes me beyond weary. Really people? The expression on the baby's face alone says she's having a blissful time. Let's appreciate both the love from the nurse and the exquisite relaxation and joy in the baby's body language. If it made you nervous, or made you want to criticize, there's something for you to look at.

anonymous Aug 2, 2013 8:00am

I'll stick to meditation thanks

anonymous Jul 12, 2013 10:41am

This is awesome, thanks !!

anonymous Jul 8, 2013 12:12am

I loved the video, yet, as a mother, it makes me incredibly sad because a nurse was granted this priviledge of giving my baby the first bath, while I, as a mother, was not.

anonymous Jun 15, 2013 2:13pm

What a beautiful representation of tapping into the present, and remaining so calm. Thanks for sharing.

anonymous May 30, 2013 10:37am

Thank you for this. We can all hope to find such peacefulness and serenity within ourselves.

anonymous May 28, 2013 7:01am

Nice article for those who Meditate regularly
🙂

anonymous May 19, 2013 5:24pm

wow that was amazing, thanks for sharing!

anonymous May 5, 2013 12:41am

very very inspiring, certainly a must watch.

anonymous Mar 5, 2013 12:54pm

What an amazing wee video! I had a good wee greet 🙂

anonymous Feb 26, 2013 1:56pm

Courtney may enjoy this beautiful baby" first bath by a midwife

anonymous Feb 21, 2013 4:44am

[…] […]

anonymous Feb 2, 2013 9:05pm

[…] erstes Babybad. Ein Video, daß vor einer Weile schon durch Netz ging und mir wieder begegnet ist. So schön anzusehen! […]

anonymous Jan 8, 2013 1:28pm

Wow it's really beautiful. Thank you so much!

anonymous Jan 8, 2013 8:57am

anonymous Jan 4, 2013 10:10am

So amazingly beautiful. Think what the world would be like if we all started life this way. I am filled with joy and peace after watching this.

anonymous Jan 1, 2013 8:35am

[…] […]

anonymous Dec 16, 2012 5:02am

I appreciate loving, nuturing baths, however this made me really nervous lol. Im definately NOT skipping a meditation after that. I don't understand why so much submerging was happening, or the babies head under water. Im sure she knows what shes doing, just not quite how I bathe babies.

anonymous Aug 17, 2015 4:32pm

They never fully submerged the babies head, the nose is always out of the water. Because they are used to being in liquid in the womb (hence water births) it’s quite natural and very comforting. As long as they have an airway it’s safe and great!

anonymous Nov 13, 2012 8:01am

[…] http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/04/skip-your-morning-meditation-watch-this-instead/ GillaGillaBe the first to like this. […]

anonymous Nov 10, 2012 9:45pm

I do not find this either peaceful or relaxing. Some of us simply are not enamored of children. Ever. So no, this by no means issue suitable meditation replacement for everyone.

anonymous Oct 21, 2012 7:27pm

I've watched this 3 or 4 times…I love it. Thank you!

anonymous Oct 18, 2012 11:33am

Actually, it does not even take me 5 minutes, usually less than 1 minute. In the deepest level, am producing high levels of Alpha/Theta brainwaves.. recorded on the computer by the Toomin Institute Alpha Pacer. Within six weeks of meditation, could go to very deep levels. How? Practiced meditation in an Isolation Tank, once a week for six weeks. From then on, just close my eyes, and think of how it felt after an hour in the tank. In seconds, am in deepest levels of alpha/theta that was achieved in the Isolation Tank.

anonymous Oct 14, 2012 2:43pm

[…] to step back, appreciate the many things you do have and channel all that pent-up frustration into relaxation, to breathe, to make a step forward. It can be an eye-opening occurrence in which we come to see it […]

anonymous Oct 13, 2012 4:51pm

Incredible video. I am going to share it with my sister and his new born.

anonymous Oct 6, 2012 3:28am

I think the point is not that it's his first bath, but that he's deaf – and the massage and touch are important sensory experiences for the baby. The setting is the "Clinic for the Deaf".

anonymous Oct 4, 2012 2:31pm

Precioso…cuánto amor y empatía hacia el bebé. Cuánta dulzura y respeto…se me han saltado las lágrimas de emoción y efectivamente, aunque no reemplazaría mi meditación, me ha relajado ver este video.

anonymous Oct 2, 2012 11:41pm

[…] Does all the art in the world come close to this? […]

anonymous Sep 24, 2012 2:45am

Heartwarming, thank your so much

anonymous Sep 23, 2012 5:34pm

Very calming and beautiful video!

anonymous Sep 13, 2012 6:00pm

[…] my recent meditation class I asked this question of participants. “Feeling warm, protected, being held closely by a loved one, a hot bath, free from harm.” These were common […]

anonymous Sep 12, 2012 5:36pm

Wow, who would not like just to sit down not knowing you are already doing an important thing. Having a peace of mind is truly amazing and sometimes, not easy to achieve in this busy world. A good idea to achieve it as well, is to visit a new place and stay in a place where you can find peace, which is why barcelonasuitesabq.com is created.

anonymous Sep 11, 2012 8:33am

[…] Article "Le Courier" Récupération post-césarienne> Femina – Microcrédit solidaire> 5 minutes de méditation […]

anonymous Aug 15, 2012 5:53am

Beautiful. It really shows how wonderfully aware a newborn is. But baby's first bath should be given by mom. Nurses steal a lot of the first intimate moments that belong to the mother and father of the new born. For example, the first time the baby gazes into the face of another human being it should be the mother, not a nurse. In the delivery room, the baby is whisked away from mother at birth to be rubbed vigorously, sucked, immunized, and inspected. Newborns cry because they are being traumatized! We need more conscious midwives and natural home births.

anonymous Aug 15, 2012 3:58am

Peaceful to the mind…

anonymous Aug 12, 2012 6:36pm

[…] was lovely, sparklingeyes!! Here is another link, don't know if it works? here goes: This video will do in five minutes what takes your meditation two hours. | elephant journal This video will do in five minutes what takes your meditation two hours. | elephant […]

anonymous Aug 7, 2012 7:43pm

I Love It. I have done it to my son too,when he was 1 week old. It´s fantastic.
I was ralaxing too,when I saw it.

anonymous Aug 6, 2012 11:43pm

I work labor and delivery and offer to do the baby's first bath with the mother the first time she bathes after delivery. This would be a great alterntive for the baby whose mother had a cesarean and can't bathe! Thank you.

anonymous Aug 6, 2012 10:56am

This was so beautiful and relaxing. Thank you.

anonymous Aug 4, 2012 6:33am

I thought the same! I guess I will watch this almost every day from now on!

anonymous Jul 26, 2012 11:28pm

The sheer fact that this is such a popular blog is testament to how many women out there are baby crazy!

anonymous Jul 26, 2012 8:47pm

[…] a wonderful mess without worrying about your keyboard. If you are in the bathtub, just be there and let it be like liquid meditation. If you are making love, you better not be anywhere near that damn iPhone, please, for the love of […]

anonymous Jul 18, 2012 10:39am

precious

anonymous Jul 12, 2012 10:32am

How wonderful. The music and the beautiful pictures of that baby are just mind blowing. I put it on just to relax and enjoy special moments.

anonymous Jul 8, 2012 12:06pm

People, defending meditation or analyzing every bit of video with a critical eye might be why this is akin to meditation. It's important to know yourself to find out why a moment of peace and love between this little trusting being and caring hands who obviously watched out for the well being of this child would cause you to have such a defensive attitude. Meditation is not a chore to be quiet, it's moving inner knowledge, it's alive and free. Letting yourself be moved by the now is more important than how many minutes you sat down today.

anonymous Jul 6, 2012 8:25am

I wish my babies first bath would have been like this. Instead they were wiped with a cold, hard wash cloth! It is obvious that the babies felt very comfortable and safe! Put them right to sleep!

anonymous Jul 6, 2012 7:53am

[…] […]

anonymous Jul 5, 2012 10:17am

I have been so moved, I cried recalling my 1st baby’s 1st bath. I remember having been terrified, not knowing..unsure…new Mom. The woman who sent me this was that baby. I did this and my baby taught me about total trust for the 1st time in my life, and with it, total vulnerability and total responsibility, just the beginnning of what being a Mother is. That new identity is rarely spoken about, rarely described or taught, mostly instructed in a dry, emotionless book or class. This video, worth 10,000 words, says what cannot be told. Thank you for this very precious memory. Thank you Anne, for sending it to me. Love, your Mom

anonymous Aug 3, 2012 9:13pm

Unbelievably beautiful post. Thank you. Your heart must have made such a perfect Mama…

anonymous Jun 26, 2012 10:54am

It’s cute and all but I just don’t get why this is such a popular post/video. But then, I’m 35 and have never wanted to have a baby and I’ve never been a “kid person,” so perhaps the warm fuzziness of it is lost on me. 🙂 There seems to be a lot of concern about the nurse getting the water so close to the baby’s nose, but she’s clearly very skilled.

anonymous Jun 19, 2012 6:37pm

She was very skilled at what she was doing. My son had a similar bath after his water birth he loved it. I was not as confident as her to get the water so close to his nose. But she surely get a lot of practice. Beautiful video!

anonymous Jun 19, 2012 4:13pm

[…] Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead 0.000000 0.000000 Share this:TwitterFacebookPinterestLinkedInTumblrEmailPrintLike this:Like3 bloggers like this.Tagged as: Buddha, Children, David Gray, dining out with children, Operation Homefront, Plum Dandy, Saratoga Springs, sibling rivalry « yoga anywhere; right on! […]

anonymous Jun 19, 2012 6:31am

[…] we set about bringing this image to fruition. The desire for a warm bath is suppressed by our obsession with finishing that last stack of paper work; the need for a long, […]

anonymous Jun 16, 2012 6:45pm

[…] Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead. (elephantjournal.com) […]

anonymous Jun 16, 2012 4:04pm

anonymous Jun 15, 2012 8:06am

what a wondeful video…it touched me so moch i had to weep…and wanting to be a baby for a moment …while
a loving person cared for me….yes love is all there is!!!!

anonymous Jun 13, 2012 9:30pm

[…] 2012 Another Jesus moment Tweet RSS feed for this post (comments) TrackBack […]

anonymous Jun 10, 2012 4:13pm

Oh to be a baby in this woman's hands!

anonymous Jun 10, 2012 7:02am

[…] […]

anonymous Jun 8, 2012 3:33pm

What makes this video a great meditation is that you can learn a lot about yourself by observing your own reaction to it. Those who reacted with fear or even pity(!) for the baby, for example, could learn a powerful lesson about how fear (and all the "dos" and "don'ts" we're inundated with in our society) can limit your ability to access or appreciate some of the most amazing and beautiful moments life has to offer. It's also interesting to observe how people are projecting their fears onto the nurse and baby, as if something wrong was being done, instead of owning their own fear as something that originated within (and thus was caused by) themselves.

Also, I don't think the author was suggesting replacing your regular meditation practice with this video. But as a one-time swap? MORE than worth it, if you have the ability to open yourself to what this video has to teach you.

anonymous Jun 9, 2012 3:47pm

Beautifully articulated, in my opinion! Thanks, Summer.

anonymous Jun 8, 2012 12:24am

Thank you.

anonymous Jun 6, 2012 8:42am

[…] how simple it was, and that it was not about achieving some amazing, transcending experience—even though I experienced a few remarkable states. And whenever I meditated, it certainly quieted things down for a bit. A 10 out of 10 stress day […]

anonymous Jun 4, 2012 5:56am

[…] takes your meditation two hours. | elephant journal Posted on June 4, 2012 by joedep1964 This video will do in five minutes what takes your meditation two hours. | elephant journal. Share this:FacebookTwitterMoreDiggPrintEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This […]

anonymous Jun 3, 2012 11:08pm

Don't make a claim about something being better than meditation, unless you make that claim to folks who regularly meditate and they all agree with you. Otherwise you are just someone else who thinks they know about the effects of meditation and don't have a practice themselves. Don't just do something, SIT THERE!

anonymous Jun 1, 2012 1:08pm

I think this video is the perfect learning tool. It teaches us to let go of our panic and trust. I found myself relaxing after 1 minute realizing baby will be fine. Mouth & nose were not covered at all. How relaxing for baby's first bath and massage after was wonderful for growth & digestion.

anonymous May 30, 2012 8:48am

Thanks for posting ♥Kristin,
Sharing my blog post with my response to seeing this video: http://susiesheartpathblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/
Sending LOVE♥

anonymous May 29, 2012 1:35pm

That was stressful to watch. I'm not sure why most of baby's head had to be submerged. Why is a nurse bathing the baby rather than his/her own mother?

anonymous May 26, 2012 8:20pm

This is an incredibly beautiful video. I had no idea that this goes on in the world; it makes me happy to know that someone, somewhere practices such gentleness on babies.

anonymous May 26, 2012 7:36pm

Thank you. Thank you so much.

anonymous May 24, 2012 8:58am

anonymous May 22, 2012 5:53pm

anonymous May 21, 2012 9:54am

Watch ;Water the Great Mystery. Nearly all water, especially tap water in every country in the world is de-natured and harmful. The sentiment and idea is beautiful, however I have to wonder, andI certainly would not recommend subjecting a new born to standard water. Pure water without chlorine, flouride negative imprinting,that has been re-structured, ionized and negatively charged is the waves of the near future. For your information see http://lightwon.enagicweb.info/.

anonymous May 21, 2012 8:30am

Am i the only one wondering whether this woman is using chlorine-free water and worrying that the babies ears are getting full of water that could lead to an ear infection? Hmm, no wonder I have trouble meditating….

Yes, I see the raw beauty of the child- I have two of my own one of whom was 3 lbs at birth. This really was a sacred and special bath that I was obviously not refined enough as a parent to share with my own kids. There is an artfullness to everyday actions when one has complete awareness of the truth and beauty of the present moment. I forget that most of the time, good reminder.

anonymous May 16, 2012 8:31pm

anonymous May 16, 2012 7:03pm

it made me cry as well! why is everyone so fearful? this baby just came from being in fluid for nine months. it is much more accustomed to that than the cold harsh world. and she is a nurse…who looks quite talented in this regard. i wish this was the reality in the US but i dont think it is. it was beautiful.

anonymous May 27, 2012 9:10am

When I saw this video it reminded me of this pre-birth memory of being in my other's womb, the most amazing feeling of my life! I felt loved and connected with everything and everyone! I did not want to leave the womb. Every since then I have been trying to re-create that experience in my life, as an athlete, dancer, massage therapist, yoga teacher. Then, I figured it out, by allowing myself to go back in time reclaiming that connection with myself and noticing me as that being inside the womb is me! Getting more and more of myself back, as I feel all those feelings of being in love with my existence!

anonymous May 15, 2012 3:54pm

I'm a man who's never fathered a child (in this life) and I'm so glad this made me cry. It was achingly, and yet simply, beautiful. The caring, the simple-ness, the utter human-ness, the "this is all that matters" ness of it. The moment. The world can go away. This is real stuff.

anonymous May 14, 2012 9:54am

[…] […]

anonymous May 13, 2012 10:47pm

[…] […]

anonymous May 13, 2012 9:27am

wonderful

anonymous May 11, 2012 7:37am

Wondrous footage, but I would have found it more interesting to hear the soundtrack of the woman’s voice (presumably French) as she bathed the infant than the new-age music.

anonymous May 10, 2012 11:26pm

There is something quit natural and instinctive in this for someone who is a mother. I remember well giving my child her first bath and it was quite similar. As for watching this replacing meditation, like a sort of meal replacement situation, give me a break. The spiritual materialism just never ends, does it. Making meditation continuously in to an objective to succeed at and to obtain, or as a cure with a goal has become the Western meditation jinx. Seeking for a meditation that ‘works’…is the bane of our current age. The bio of Kristin Luce says she has done 20 years of retreat practice…no she hasn’t…maybe a week here and a week or two there. Enough with the credentials already.

anonymous May 12, 2012 7:57pm

You are right, Lola. I don't mean 20 years of solid retreat practice, but rather 20 years of engaging in retreat practice whenever I am able–and in my case that has been more than a week or two here and there. I apoligize if my bio is misleading.

anonymous May 10, 2012 5:50pm

I don't remember ever seeing anything so beautiful in my life. and I am 89 years old.

anonymous May 10, 2012 5:34pm

Me, too, Carol. I have been practicing TM for 30 years and nothing replaces it! It is simple, effortless
and really works. Try it! You'lllike it! JS

anonymous May 10, 2012 12:59pm

this is the most beautiful thing ive ever seen

anonymous May 10, 2012 8:30am

[…] […]

anonymous May 8, 2012 9:43pm

[…] depth of our existence and try to venture back in time when life itself was nothing but a speck, when a ‘soul’ was piecing itself together, when the uncomplicated earth was giving way to complicated […]

anonymous May 8, 2012 4:42pm

It made me very afraid. I was filled with fear that the water was going to go up the baby's nose. Instead of evoking peace, it made me fearful.

anonymous May 7, 2012 4:21pm

Perhaps the suggestion to watch this instead of your regular mediation is a good one. Life circumstances change. How nice to have another experience in finding peace of mind when your regular method is not possible. Easy to be full of mind, peace, and thought when in your routine, but how lovely to get there in another way.

anonymous May 6, 2012 9:55am

boring shit

anonymous May 6, 2012 9:29am

FIRST RELAX AND SPA BATH!!! WHAT A PLEASURE FOR THE BABY AND THE DOCTOR!!!!

anonymous May 5, 2012 8:53pm

Why don't more people know about babies ability to hold their breath? It's a survival instinct when they get water on their face….

anonymous May 5, 2012 5:49pm

Was this really the first bath? The first Childs umbilical cord had fallen off and I remember that happening several days after birth…

anonymous May 5, 2012 8:50am

I wish this bath for everyone twice everyday … once as the baby and once as the nurse.

anonymous May 4, 2012 11:10am

A really nice video. I wanted to offer a comment as a long time mother/baby nurse. I just wanted to clarify that this baby is not a brand new newborn. She is probably a few days old as evidenced by the jaundiced tone of her skin and her drying umbilical cord stump.

anonymous May 16, 2012 3:43pm

glad i'm not the only one who noticed! i felt cynical thinking it 🙂

anonymous May 4, 2012 8:37am

This video is wonderful. I have a question though. Is there some special technique she is using to bathe the baby? I have never seen anyone cup a baby's head like that in a bath tub. I realize it is a fairly new infant (hospital bracelet), but it seems like she has some kind of technique that she is doing. I saw the little infant massage at the end when the baby was in the blanket, but the bath itself looked amazing. Would love to know if there is any information out there about what she was doing! Thanks!

anonymous May 3, 2012 11:49pm

That was awesome. So gentle and soothing.

anonymous May 3, 2012 5:20pm

Isn't one of the points of meditation to relax despite distracting or discomfiting stimuli? Watching the video, I found myself fearing for the baby, but I realized the fear was mine, not the baby's, and it was not "caused" by the nurse, or by the video. The nurse seemed to know exactly what she was doing, and was doing it with love and skill. The baby seemed to experience the whole situation in deep peace.

anonymous May 7, 2012 2:34pm

This is the clearest response I have read to the several comments about fear for the baby! Beautiful.

anonymous May 3, 2012 5:04pm

Absolutely beautiful. And you're right this video "zonked" me… very relaxing 🙂

anonymous May 3, 2012 1:38pm

What a wonderful caregiver !! I wish all caregivers could watch the loving gentleness she gave these babies. So thorough, so careful and gentle. We all would want a nurse like that caring for our new borns. Beautiful !!

anonymous May 3, 2012 6:56am

My French isn’t perfect but I understand this is a result of many years of observation and reflection, and a technique she has developed. I had a little nervousness around the water on the face, but the babies were so calm and clearly enjoying every moment….I guess it is not long after emerging from a watery environment. I do wish the parents were involved in some way though.

anonymous May 2, 2012 11:08pm

What is she trying to do? Drown the child?

anonymous May 2, 2012 6:33pm

But it should be the new parents who have the pleasure of giving their new child its first bath!!!!

anonymous May 2, 2012 2:56pm

anonymous May 2, 2012 2:46pm

Was nobody else panicking that the baby was going to drown? I know they can breath underwater but i still panicked :/

anonymous May 2, 2012 12:14pm

AMAZING! Is there someone in the Uk that is trained to do this? thanks!

anonymous May 2, 2012 4:39am

i want that bath.

anonymous May 5, 2012 8:40am

I was thinking the same thing.

anonymous May 2, 2012 12:17am

Does anyone know the name of this music, just beautiful

anonymous May 1, 2012 6:54pm

This was the most beautiful and peaceful experience I have ever witnessed. Oh for all of us to have had a start like this.

anonymous May 1, 2012 2:59pm

Hi I was just wondering if this is a particular method used on babies, I have never seen anything quite like it before. Was she just an amazing nurse or is it some sort of relaxation exercise. Does it have a name? I hope you all know what I am trying to say!

anonymous May 1, 2012 12:59pm

its amazing …n unbelievable

anonymous May 1, 2012 11:06am

Beautiful. The ancient ritual bath, or abhishek, is done multiple times a day to the deities at nearly every temple in India, and every time its as magical, as it is the ritual of life itself. That why we go practice in the temples of India. its way different than we think, expect, as in India practice does not usually include asana but other remarkable rituals.

anonymous May 1, 2012 5:27am

As a midwife I found this deeply moving. It makes me wonder how differently we usually do this in our hospital. The uttermost respect towards the new baby was really thought provoking.

anonymous May 1, 2012 1:42am

Love this! ..and I love the music. Who are the musicians?

anonymous Apr 30, 2012 4:35pm

[…] – RE BIRTHING BATH -Amazing must watch video […]

anonymous Apr 30, 2012 8:42am

I was a little nervous watching this too, but I could see that the baby was loving it and the woman giving the bath was obviously so tuned in and loving. I think those of us who felt nervous likely did not have the most loving upbringings, at least it is true for me. I think watching this video could be healing for us. And as far as water on the face and head, think about taking a nice hot shower, I love feeling water streaming down my head and face! I hope since this video was in France too, that the water isn't super chlorinated like in many American cities, that would sting the eyes! thank you so much everyone for sharing here.

anonymous Apr 29, 2012 8:37pm

yes, what a a perfect transition from the womb into embodiment. if only every baby could begin their life on earth in this way!
I agree, not a substitute for your morning meditation at all. If meditation is something that is difficult for you, or you find yourself having to "make yourself do it", then may I suggest looking into Transcendental Meditation – TM.org – for an effortless natural technique. I learned TM when I was 13, (36 years ago)

anonymous Apr 29, 2012 2:52pm

Was a little nervous about the water running over the babies face and in her ear. But as it went on it seemed more relaxing for the baby and me

anonymous Apr 29, 2012 10:51am

Very soothing and I felt the love there, thanks for sharing

anonymous Apr 29, 2012 6:33am

Yes, this made me very nervous, and I thought maybe she was training the baby to be one of those babies that swim underwater and hold their breath at an early age. For one moment the open mouth was under water, and only the nostrils were left out of the water. The baby could have choked any instant if it wasn't breathing from its nose.

anonymous May 10, 2012 12:21pm

but that's the point – all infants are nose breathers

anonymous Apr 29, 2012 3:35am

Aaah how beutifull life is moving meditation to all the very pragmatic yogis comments up there, lighten up yoginis each moment is meditation dont get all caught up in judgement, allow life to flow, just like the water over the babys body so so moving I loved it, thank you that I could witness,

anonymous Apr 28, 2012 2:27pm

It’s interesting to read all of the different reactions to watching this video. I personally found it extremely moving – I think that all babies deserve to receive such tender, respectful, loving touch. At no point was the baby’s full face submerged in the water and at no point did she appear to be distressed. Babies will most certainly let you know if they’re uncomfortable in any way.

We are surrounded by fluid in utero. Why would a baby be afraid of water? People are simply projecting their own fear.

anonymous Apr 28, 2012 10:57am

Thanks for sharing, this video is going round the world very quickly but I think proper credits should be given to Sonia Rochel, here's her blog with the most amazing baby pictures, including twins!

anonymous Apr 28, 2012 8:04pm

Thank you for sharing the source of this magnificent video, and the beautiful heart who holds these babies.

anonymous Apr 30, 2012 8:38am

thank you so much Kristin, I didn't know my French was that good but I found that if I read her post out loud I could understand most of it, just looked up a couple of words! like 'robinet'…guessed right, faucet! beautiful.

anonymous Apr 28, 2012 4:51am

wonderful, peaceful – thank you so much!

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 10:47pm

Funny how each of us responds to this video, personally I was jumping every time she poured water over the baby's head! I didn't find this relaxing at all and actually felt I NEEDED to go do my meditation practice afterwards. I was taught not to pour water over infants' heads like that and watching it just makes me flinch!

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 11:41pm

I love your openness to you and others having different responses. I too, at first, flinched a little, and then gradually relaxed as I saw that everything was fine– nurse knew what she was doing, baby obviously blessed out 🙂 Thank you for this post!

anonymous Apr 28, 2012 6:44pm

Kristin,
      first thank you for posting this and your kind comments to everyone.
      And I imagine it was a typo, but I totally love the phrase "blessed out" and am so stealing this! And what a perfect phrase to describe the baby's experience in this video….

anonymous Apr 28, 2012 7:45pm

Perfect! Yes, it was a typo, and it's all yours. May we all be blessed out… 🙂

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 7:39pm

They have to be the most relaxed babies I have ever seen. This video speaks to the power of human touch. Look how firm but careful hands allowed the babies to enjoy the sensations they were getting and feel completely safe. How I wish I’d seen this before giving my kids their first baths…what a complete contrast! I even got peed on!

This was beautiful.

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 11:56am

Wonderful video. Thanks.

But there is no substitution for medidation – and if a meditation is boring, it is not done right.

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 7:24am

oh ME, me next! wonderful.

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 6:07am

This is a stunning unfolding to witness. I was brought to tears as I also viscerally felt the potent.sea of babies (sensitive/sentient skin) contact with water as well as the obvious skill and intention with which this woman held this young being. It seemed that she was also facilitating a healing @ deep levels and perhaps addressing somatically some of the birth trauma of this being. I don’t mean to imply that this baby had a traumatic birth…but simply that the journey through the birth canal is in most cases an intense one both emotionally and physically. I interpreted one of how she held and moved with this baby to be addressing or assisting in the ‘unwinding’ process of both body and emotional tension. Simply Exquisite!
Thank YOU.
Grace Murdock
Founder/Director, School of Sentient Birth.

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 12:27am

[…] […]

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 11:02pm

This made me so nervous, found myself trying to take big breathes as though I wasn’t able too…I get what she was doing but it didn’t relax me at all.

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 2:14pm

Isn't it amazing to see the sense of relief and calm come over the baby's face at the beginning when it is introduced to the water? I wish I had seen this video before I had my children. I always concentrated on the cleaning of their skin more than on the pleasure of the experience.

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 1:21pm

The world would be a more tranquil and loving place if we were all treated this way at birth. what a blessing for these babies.

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 12:10pm

Igualito al baño que le dieron a mi hija recién nacida en la maternidad en la que nació. Solo ver esto me acuerdo de la enfermera que sin saludar, la cogió y la bañó con más brusquedad de la que cualquiera pueda imaginar. Ver esto me gusta, pues quiere decir que -quizá- esa enfermera pueda verlo y aprender a tratar a seres tan indefensos. En España nos hace falta un poco de amor …

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 10:39am

If only all the world's people could experience something like this in their own lives! We might be able to love each other.

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 9:15am

simplemente maravilloso, namaste

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 7:13am

Every baby in the world should be treated this way.

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 5:23am

[…] apocalypse in my nightmares. Instead, it redirected me to me. The end of the world has this way of turning you into a baby by stripping your mind naked and taking you back to where you first […]

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 4:53am

[…] […]

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 2:42am

This is soooooooooooh beautiful, I wished I had done it with my babies, Thanks.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 9:57pm

I'm with you. I never submerged my baby's face like that.

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 9:20am

Yes it made me nervous at times too. The water being so close to the nose and mouth freaked me out!

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 4:20pm

So unlike the pictures people post on fb of their baby screaming during their first bath. This is a bath done right. I think the babies that someone pointed out that don't necessarily like water aren't being bathed right. They just came from a place of pure comfort and security, surrounded by water, why would they not like it now that they're out of the womb? I have seen lots of reasons why. Waters too hot, too cold, room is too cold, the horrible bath tubs that are supposed to ergonomically correct are just plain stupid… I could go on and on. This was awesome. Everyone with a new baby should watch this before they attempt the first bath.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 4:12pm

The baby loved it!! Of course the baby survived!!!!???!,

You could see how relaxed it made the baby. I am a maternity nurse and I do this to all my babies I look after and teach the mums.

I have never had one baby that did not like it. 🙂

anonymous May 18, 2012 7:15am

Hi Vicki, Can I ask you where you learned your techniques? I am beginning my journey into nursing (working on an RN degree) and would love to work in maternity some day. Were things like this part of your maternity training or did you have to go elsewhere? Another reason for my interest in learning is for my own baby… I'm due in a few weeks 🙂
    Thank you!
    Laura

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 3:26pm

That was scary….who wants water in there face? I’m glad the baby survived.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 9:59pm

See my comment above (about two up). I had the same concern at first… Thanks for you post!

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 2:34pm

This video brought back precious memories of bathing my two babies many years ago very similar to the way the nurse is bathing this sweet baby. It was wonderful to see this baby settle into the peaceful reminder of mother's womb. Watching this video also made me cry. Partly because I miss the days when my children were babies and needed me completely, and also because I miss the days when I was once more peaceful within myself. Life brings many stressful situations to each day. Just seeing this baby so peaceful brought focus and peace back to me for at least five minutes.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 1:23pm

Thank you for sharing. It brings sweet memories of my two boys first baths…14 and 11 years ago! Can't believe they were ever such tiny little peanuts. Infant massage is a wonderfully therapeutic way for new mom and baby to bond. Find a warm sunny spot near a closed window (no draft) – helps jaundice too – and savor the skin on skin contact. For boys, a cotton cloth in the midriff prevents you from getting a pee facial (good for a laugh and not the end of the world.)

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 12:19pm

Maybe b/c my biggest fear is drowning, but I didn't find this relaxing at all. I got a panicked feeling every time she poured water over the poor child's face!!

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 12:54pm

That's what meditation is for…to learn to relax, to come back from panic! It's not about escape.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 9:58pm

I had the same initial fear, about water on her face, and then I saw that no water was going over her mouth and that she could obviously breathe just fine, no stress. In fact, the opposite seemed to be true, she seemed to become more and more calm (and of course she had just spent 9 months living in amniotic fluid). You may want to watch again and pay close attention to the baby's experience, and just notice what you see, without the worry that she is going to drown (which obviously, she doesn't) 🙂 Hope this is of help.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 11:41am

What a beautiful baby. Such a lovely film.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 6:37am

Question the music score, who is the artist, i would love to but some of their music

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 5:50am

Beautiful and inspiring thank you

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 3:47am

Posted to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 2:45am

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 12:38am

Teach me… would love to learn how to do this for when I have precious babies of my own.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 5:01pm

I read somewhere that this is actually a very specific technique (not to be tried by an "amateur"). I don't know if that is true or not, and when I looked I was unable to find the source that I found before. Perhaps someone out there knows the name of this technique, or where to find more info? Thank you for your post!

anonymous May 8, 2012 3:41am

They wrote under the video parents should not try to do this themself this is a thing that only trained proffesionals can do

anonymous Aug 6, 2012 10:58am

I used to do this years ago with my babies, and I wasn't trained (or even saw this before). You use your mother instincts and common sense.

anonymous Aug 7, 2012 7:54pm

Sorry, I don´t think so. What does proffessionals can do better than the true love of the parents? It´s just relaxing !(?)

anonymous Aug 7, 2012 7:45pm

I think, it´s only true and sensible love what you need to do this.You feel it.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 12:22am

Thank you so so much, this is just what I needed. I am going to counter many of these commenters by reminding them that this IS meditation! Many of us associate the term with zen meditation, which aims to completely clear the mind of thought. However, if we look at yogic meditation, as is alluded to in the Sutras, it is really just being able to focus your mind on one object–the sensations in your body, your breath, a candle, or yes, even a beautiful video of the gift of life and love shared between a baby and a nurse. Even as a yoga teacher, I am still human, and often struggle to get into my meditation seat. This video is just the stepping stone I needed right now in order to be able to cultivate that level of mindfulness in my meditation, and what a powerful meditation it is.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 4:32pm

Premies (and this baby looks tiny) are usually hyper sensitive to touch especially the stroke type. I was bothered by the tap water running over the baby like it was a dish in the kitchen sink. The baby kept rooting for the breast. Where was it? Newborn babies tend to check out when they are overstimulated and can look so peaceful and asleep because they have left their bodies from the stress. Newborn babies are not dirty. How about skin to skin with Mama? Bath with mama. Not like a dish in the sink.

anonymous May 3, 2012 11:34am

Seriously????

anonymous May 16, 2012 2:48pm

You aren't familiar with babies or you would know how relaxing that particular bath was to that
      full-term baby. He/she was thoroughly enjoying the
      experience.

anonymous Apr 24, 2012 11:45pm

I get that she's simulating the womb experience with all the water, but it made me nervous too. I just would worry about covering the baby's face with water like that and she seemed obsessed with submerging his/her head under the water! Am I the only one?

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 7:57am

I thought so too for a moment, but then I could tell that she was very trained in this technique. I was thinking "don't try this at home" unless you've had this training.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 8:38am

Yeah, nervous indeed — what about not getting water in the ears!?

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 7:52am

I didn't see her submerge the babies head under the water at all. She was quite careful when the water was around the face. I think you watched a different video. 🙂

anonymous Apr 29, 2012 6:31am

She definitely submerged the face, only the nostrils were left out of the water- the open mouth even was under water- everything was except for the nostrils, for a moment.

anonymous Apr 29, 2012 1:21pm

yes, i was nervous about that too. Since she seemed to be running water over the babies head and face and putting it's head in the water over and over, and nothing else, it almost began to look like an obsession!

anonymous Apr 29, 2012 1:22pm

or some point she was trying to make?

anonymous May 1, 2012 11:28pm

I agree!

anonymous May 4, 2012 9:30am

looks like the crazy "omg my baby needs to live in a bubble" moms appeared on this post. I knew they would!

anonymous May 11, 2012 10:50am

Twenty-five years ago, I did this for my son (and myself) though admittedly I was in a bigger hurry. (LIFE!) I did it from day one, water right over the top of his sweet head and down his face. He never objected. From there, at 2 months, he went into the shower with me (for efficiency) and I swaddled him up and placed him in his carrier while I finished my shower. It just seemed a very natural concept considering where he had spent the previous 9 months.

anonymous May 18, 2012 12:02am

Yes, this is very simular to Watsu, and while the head was partially submerged there was at no point a time when the infant did not have access to air. If you think about the environment this little being just spent the last 9 months, this experience is the most natural and peaceful it knows.

anonymous May 26, 2012 8:23pm

I also thought that for a moment, but it was clear to me that the woman performing the procedure had a trained and confident hand. She seemed to know perfectly how to maneuver the baby and the water so that the baby could always breathe. It was incredible how much the baby trusted her and how the two worked together in the process. Truly remarkable, I think.

anonymous Jun 10, 2012 8:13pm

I agree yes it made nervous especially submerging the ears with too much water Thank you

anonymous Jun 26, 2012 7:58am

I agree with you. I couldn't finish watching it.

anonymous Jun 28, 2012 6:55am

No, she was extremely careful with supporting and positioning the baby's head so their nostrils were never under water. She was in full control and knew what she was doing.I was not nervous at all, after I realized that.

anonymous Jul 11, 2012 12:40pm

i agree with you, although it does not seem that anyone else does! also, maybe a liittle too much massaging?? seems a bit odd to me……

anonymous Oct 16, 2012 8:21am

I found it hard to breathe when watching this. I was not fearful for the baby, and could see the beauty of it's response to the nurse. It was all very lovely, but I could not breath and felt as though I was drowning. I expected the baby to object at any moment. I definitely wanted to! Interesting.

anonymous Oct 29, 2012 8:40am

Must say I felt nervous also…

anonymous Apr 24, 2012 5:14pm

Watsu and similar techniques offer the same for adults. If you've never tried then you're missing out. Lovely video by the way, but definitely won't be replacing my meditation practice any time soon.

anonymous Apr 24, 2012 5:04pm

great video, I just have no idea why a yoga site would suggest to skip meditation or compare anything to a long meditation which is also yoga practice. Sort of suggests nice videos or anything else could replace the practice of meditation. I’ll pick meditation even though I like nice videos like these.

anonymous Apr 25, 2012 12:53pm

We're not a yoga site, friend. We're a site devoted to life. That said, yes, I don't skip my morning meditation for nothing!

anonymous Apr 24, 2012 5:00pm

Beautiful. I wish every baby's first bath was like this. Pure love.

anonymous Apr 24, 2012 6:23am

This video actually made me nervous. I can appreciate the gentleness, love, and care the nurse showed during the bath and the massage was extra sweet.

anonymous May 2, 2012 2:01pm

"Dive" reflex ladies….the cue to hold their breath – should they be submerged….and the baby was never submerged….the water just ran close…you could tell the practitioner was being careful…..

anonymous Jan 20, 2013 7:12pm

this made me nervous also. I don't think the baby liked the water on the face. IMHO I give babies baths almost every day, they love the water and relaxation and usually fall asleep while I'm putting their jammies on.

anonymous Apr 23, 2012 4:10am

[…] video I just watched had began with this: Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead. This Video Will Do in Five Minutes What Takes Your Meditation Two […]

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 1:37pm

[…] This video will do in five minutes what takes your meditation two hours. | elephant journal. […]

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 1:26pm

Wow, so beautiful. Not like my baby's first bath, I cried and panicked because her lips turned blue. Sigh. :O)

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 1:52pm

And they get so slippery!

anonymous Apr 28, 2012 12:18pm

With my first, the same thing happened. With my second, my midwife told me to make the water a comfortable temperature that I'd like to swim in! They just came out from where it was 98.5/99°!! LOL We tend to make bath water for infants around 80-85°! That's COLD to them!! LOL

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 1:13pm

Truly Lovely, but don’t skip your morning meditation. Surely there’s time to include both!

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 1:45pm

Amen. Now it's my turn to touch beauty and innocence through my sitting practice. Thanks, Scott.

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 1:06pm

Really lovely.

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 12:55pm

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the brand new Elephant Family and Education Homepage.
Also posted to the Elephant Journal main page on Facebook.

Lorin Arnold
Blogger at
The VeganAsana
Please "like" Elephant Family on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 12:50pm

Wow – simply wow 🙂

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 12:31pm

Thank you. Thank you so much.

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 11:24am

omg… imagine if everyone knew kindness, compassion and love like this. so obvious why we all need tranquility and gentle understanding in our lives. thank you. namaste

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 10:44am

Watch this every day. Never gets boring, always incredible.

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 10:44am

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 12:02pm

in this video, they are one and the same

anonymous May 3, 2012 4:24pm

I believe this is how gently God's – continually – holding each and every one of us.

anonymous May 22, 2012 6:58am

i dont know which of the bird is more important – the left wing or the right wing

anonymous May 25, 2012 4:33pm

I'm a midwife, mother of a preemie and have worked in sensory processing for many years. My comments reflect my experience and observation.

Adam Kito Jul 11, 2016 12:32am

so magic

Read The Best Articles of March
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON