The Pregnant Goddess is an Electrified Being! ~ Carole Westerman

Via on Apr 14, 2012

We all know that pregnant women glow, but do you know why?

Think about it. The average Yogini has about 72,000 Nadis, or energy channels. The pregnant goddess has double that, 144,000 Nadis—she is literally glowing with energy! And all that extra energy courses through her veins making her one hot mama with super powers!

Let’s take a tour through the Chakras, or vortexes of energy, of the pregnant goddess, and see what we’re talking about here. Get ready to have your mind blown and be ready to see women, in general, as powerhouses of awesome-ness!

1) Let’s start with the foundation of our Chakra system, the Muladhara. This first Chakra is related to the earth element and is considered to be our root system connecting us to our past. While pregnant, the Goddess becomes much more aware of her family history, ancestry and literal family tree. Thoughts shine back into the mother-daughter and/or mother-granddaughter relationships. During this time of great change, feeling the earth element through rooting, anchoring and stabilizing is important for balance. Earth is expressed through the Goddess by her growing size, belly and breasts. She literally begins to take on the characteristics of Mother Earth, and she begins to really own her experience and grow into the role of a mother.

Photo: AndyKali

2) Moving up the Chakras, we find ourselves in the watery tide pools of Svadhisthana. This chakra is as you guessed, related to the element of water. By our nature, humans are very watery creatures. We are all about 70% water, and when pregnant, this increases drastically. I’m no math wizard, but let’s look at what’s happening. While pregnant, a woman’s blood volume increases by up to 50%. In addition to that, there’s the amniotic sac and fluid, which is the baby’s own personal jacuzzi. Put all that together, and that equals lots of water! This means the pregnant Goddess takes on the reflective qualities of water, and is very sensual, fluid, and adaptable during this time. It’s not all rainbows and butterflies though, because there can be a down side to all that water-fluid retention. But ironically swimming can help take care of that, as can some yummy watermelon (which is a natural diuretic).

Photo: AndyKali

3) Our next Chakra is our fire center, Manipura—the power of transformation. As you can imagine, this center is certainly all lit up as the Goddess literally transforms herself into a baby garden! Not only does she transform herself into this fertile soil and home for growing her baby, at the end of her pregnancy she must transform into a Warrior-like Goddess in order to push that baby out! After her baby arrives, wham-bam, she transforms again into a loving and nurturing creature who nourishes her baby with her own milk. It doesn’t get any more kick-asanathan that.

4) As we move into the element of air, we find Anahata, the heart center. This element expresses itself through love and through our breath. Breath is life. And through yoga we know that breath is the link between body/mind/soul. During pregnancy mother and baby share their breath. That miraculous umbilical cord, which Mama created all by herself, gives the baby everything they need to grow and thrive. It’s literally a life line, the baby’s first taste of being an astronaut!

5) Moving up the Chakras, they become more subtle. Subtle doesn’t mean less awesome, let’s be clear! Because as we enter Vishuddha, the element of space, we can see how important it is for the mother to share her space (her body) with another being. I mean, it’s hard enough to share a bathroom with someone. Let alone your body! Try having a six pound creature hanging out in your stomach for awhile. Or maybe love-tapping your ribs. Believe me, it’s the most magical thing ever, but it is sharing space and it takes some getting used to!

Photo: dragonflyriri6) Ajna is our third eye center, the whisper-thin element of ether. Mother’s intuition. That unbelievable way that Mom’s can touch a child’s forehead and know instantly if they are even 1.08 degrees warmer than usual. You think you’re intuitive now, wait until it really kicks in with pregnancy hormones! Superpowers, activate! It’s like you grow a Mama antennae and you can almost read minds!

7) Our last destination on the tour today, is Sahasrara, the crown. Check it out. Best case scenario, baby enters the world crown first right through Mama’s root! I mean talk about things coming full circle! Talk about what comes around goes around. Makes me think of that lyric from a Semisonic song, “every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end”. The cherry on top is that the crown chakra is right where babies have their “soft spot” when they’re born. Their crown’s are literally wide open. So amazing.

Just so you know, I’ve experienced all this myself—three times. Not only survived but loved every minute of it. I sometimes even think I might wanna do it all again.

~

Editor: Kelly Brichta

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For Carole, yoga and her family are her true passions! She strongly believes in the mind-body connection, and uses her experience as a Psychologist to help bridge the two through heart-centered teaching; weaving together body, breath, and mind through the power of movement and the vibration of music. Carole is a happy and joyful member of Shiva Rea’s Prana Flow® Yoga Tribe, and am a mentor in her Teacher Training Program as well as an assistant for both Shiva Rea and Twee Merrigan. Anyone that knows Carole, knows that she whole-heartedly believes in the power of Shakti! Therefore she is dedicated to empowering women through their female life cycles and birthing experiences, and is honored to be a Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Prenatal Yoga Teacher. You can find out more about Carole and her Prenatal Yoga Trainings on her website: www.CaroleWesterman.com And keep an eye out too, as Carole is currently working on a Prenatal Yoga DVD and book with r.r. Shakti!

About elephant journal

23 Responses to “The Pregnant Goddess is an Electrified Being! ~ Carole Westerman”

1. Lorin Arnold Lorin says:

Posted to Elephant Family on Facebook and Twitter.

Lorin Arnold
    Blogger at The VeganAsana
    Editor for Elephant Food and Elephant Family.

2. Guest says:

A master's degree in psychology does not make one a psychologist– this requires PhD. It is both illegal and unethical to represent self as psychologist when one is not, per APA ethical guidelines. Please edit bio.

• myriamsofialluria says:

Boo, and where is the thumbs down icon?…. Having recently gone through three PhD's, who have been able to do nothing to help one of my daughters, I dare say a PhD means nothing, it is the person who holds it that matters!!

• jojolalala says:

I would be so disappointed if I went to a Psychologist and got a chakra rant. What about the scientific or theoretical rigor which tertiary degrees are meant to ensure? Leave the magical wuwu out of clinical practice please… Don't present chakra balancing in a medical context, it is a spiritual construct which suits some but has no place in a clinic.

• Carole says:

Thank you for your feedback.
          No worries. I am a full-time yoga teacher right now, and so no chakra rant of mine goes unwelcome. ;)

• West Anson says:

If you are looking for a "strictly" scientific answer to psychological issues you should visit a Psychiatrist as their primary solution is the use of pharmaceutical drugs to solve your psychological issues. However, a Psychologist has other non-medicinal methods to deal with your psychological issues. Carol's discussion of "Chakra balancing" is a well known theory, has a basis in body science, and has been demonstrated to be effective with regard to many MBS (Mind, Body, & Spirit) issues.

• jojolalala says:

This depends on which country you are in.

• Carole says:

Dear "Guest". Thank you for your feedback.
      I certainly did not intend to represent myself as a currently practicing psychologist.
      Simply that I was a Child & Family Therapist, Behavior Interventionist, Social Worker, etc. for many years and I draw on that experience now to make my yoga classes nurturing places with potential for healing.
      Your feedback is dually noted, and I can see how it would be interpreted differently than I intended.
      Back in the day when I was working in the field of psychology, that was my title, and so I had no ill intent when that was placed on my bio. Re-wording it is probably a good idea though, as to avoid any confusion in the future. :)

3. Hi Carole, just beautiful. Glad to see you thinking outside of the box. Hope to see you soon and keep writing!

4. Valerie Carruthers ValCarruthers says:

Loved this, Carole. Especially your comment about Baby's crown to Mother's root chakras in #7 Sahasrara, plus the song quote, "every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." I think you'll appreciate what EJ writer Simon Hollington describes in his recent post: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/03/counterbal

"Every single cell in your body has seven chakras, every one of their crown chakras unite to form your base chakras, if you link up all life forms crown chakras on earth, they form the base chakra of the planet; all the crown chakras of the planets form the base chakras of the stars, and the crown chakras of the stars form the base chakra of the the galaxy -ad infinitum."

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Spirituality Homepage.

Valerie Carruthers
    Please go and "Like" Elephant Spirituality on Facebook

5. myriamsofialluria says:

I never felt more beautiful (from the inside out), better or more sacred, purposeful and powerful, than when I was pregnant with each of my four daughters. Thank you for this empowering take on pregnant women!

6. This is beautifully written! I will share it with all my pregnant students.

7. Carole says:

Thanks for your support Val!!!
    I love that quote too!!!

8. Valerie Carruthers ValCarruthers says:

Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Spirituality Homepage.

Valerie Carruthers
    Please go and "Like" Elephant Spirituality on Facebook

9. 1z2ns says:

I loved this walk through the Chakras goddess-style. My favorite is the Manipura "Warrior-like Goddess". With my three pregnancies I enjoyed that wonderful surge of warrior energy in the third trimester.

10. [...] The Pregnant Goddess is an Electrified Being! ~ Carole Westerman ~ Editor: Tanya L. Markul swfobject.embedSWF("http://www.youtube.com/v/OPSAgs-exfQ&rel=0&fs=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=0", "vvq-325586-youtube-1", "425", "344", "10", vvqexpressinstall, vvqflashvars, vvqparams, vvqattributes); [...]

11. Radka says:

So beautifully said:-). Thank you Goddess for sharing your wisdom and inviting us to see the miracle of life in yet another way! My heart is full!

12. [...] I had my first classes at a hall in the middle of town, but there weren’t that many qualified students. With only a couple students in a big hall it just wasn’t worth it. I encouraged my regular students to get busy so they could meet the steep pre-req (in a word, pregnancy). [...]

13. Clem Clarke says:

Lovely. Forget the naysayers. Show your light. Everything is energy. Many old style science trained people like me have "untrained" myself enough to understand. You might like to join other similar people on my site http://www.connectinglightworkers.com Namaste Clem

14. [...] http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/04/the-pregnant-goddess-is-an-electrified-being-carole-westerman Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Filed under Uncategorized | Leave a comment [...]

15. rOSY says:

It is an enormously inspiring post. This article is very helpful for pregnant women. Bye the way this article is very beautiful.
    Thank you for this empowering take on pregnant women.