What You Don’t Know About Coffee. {Ted Talks}

get elephant's newsletter
Coffee Beans

“95 percent of the roasted coffee in the world is 100 percent old, stale and dead.”

I’m a tea kind of girl most days, but thought that all the fair-trade coffees were a pretty healthy, eco way to go.

Here’s what I didn’t know:


Like elephant food on Facebook.

is a new feature on Elephant Journal—enabling you to instantly share your mindful ideas, photos, art, YouTube videos/Instagram links & writings with our 5 million readers. Try it Now.

Write Now

About Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is a wellness cheerleader, yogini storyteller, and self-care maven. She also writes for Huffington Post, Yoga International, Mantra Yoga+ Health, a beauty full mind, The Good Men Project, The Green Divas, The Body Project, Project Eve, Thought Catalog and Soulseeds. Kate's books are now available on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com. She is passionate about helping people fall in love with their lives. You can connect with Kate on Facebook and Instagram.


8 Responses to “What You Don’t Know About Coffee. {Ted Talks}”

  1. RS says:

    This guy is brilliant

  2. toby m says:

    interesting article. Can anybody enlighten as to how he makes his claims. Coffee is 'dead' after 10 days? what is this based on?

  3. Asher Yaron says:

    My claims are based on 10 years of research, others and, more importantly, my own. Some of the words I use to describe coffee, e.g., dead, potent, vital, fresh living food, are usually not terms used when talking about coffee. We need to change the vocabulary we use when we talk about coffee in order to describe the revolutionary discoveries that I, and other home roasters, have made.

    Coffee literally dies about 7 days after roasting. During the roasting process, there are 1500 chemical reactions that take place. These reactions create chemical substances that, soon after roasting, are emitted from the porous coffee bean. Imagine the bean is breathing out these chemicals. Once the process of breathing out is finished in about 7 days, Oxygen can then enter the porous bean and destroy any freshness that is left, this is called oxidation which is the same process as when you cut open an apple and it gets brown. So I like to describe it as dying because the porous coffee bean has breathed its last breath (this, by the way, is the reason the vacuum sealed packaging have 1 way valves….it is to let these substances out of the bag otherwise the bag would expand).

    Now, just 24 hours after roasting 40% of these beneficial chemicals have already left the bean with the remaining 60% leaving in diminishing increments in the next 6 days. That is a huge number. And I say "beneficial" chemicals because in the tests I have conducted when more of the chemicals are present the reaction on the human brain and body is a very positive one. I believe that certain areas of the brain are activated that cause the following; the ability to focus our attention, happiness, an increase in Present Awareness, and an increase in energy.

    And, at the end of my talk I also recommend that everyone tries my theories out for themselves. I am not trying to convince anyone that I have all the answers…..I don't! I don't know exactly what brain chemicals are present in fresh roasted coffee, I just know how it tastes and feels in my body, and it's pretty amazing! We all must come to our own conclusions on what is best for each of us individually, I am just presenting a possibility that is counter to the conventional wisdom which treats roasted coffee as a stable commodity (like table salt) and not as a fresh living food!

  4. […] TEDx talk I gave on coffee was recently posted on elephant journal. A viewer asked the question, “Can anybody enlighten as to how he makes his claims? Coffee is […]

  5. frank hark says:

    have you ever seen the bullet proof executive? he says a lot of the same stuff.

  6. Julia M. says:

    Now I am thinking if I should buy coffee beans online or not. It is sad to know that too much nutrients has left the coffee already during the process of roasting it. I wonder how coffee beans taste like when it is not yet roasted that much.

  7. Shamica says:

    Now I realized that if someone is interested on having a business coffee machines then one should learn more about organic coffee beans. I really like the taste of pure roasted coffee rather than instant coffee powders.

  8. Segafredo says:

    My favourite coffee beans are from Segafredo Zanetti, i love Extra Strong and they also have a organic range

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.