Blowing your mind with facts is good for you! Training the mind to be open and present is as important as going to the gym to work out the body. So, here you go!
1) Since the 1950s, around 90% of the large predatory fish in the ocean are gone.
3) If your round trip commute to work is 1 hour / day then every 8 weeks you’ve “worked” another week.
If your round trip commute to work is 2 hours / day, then every 4 weeks you’ve “worked” another week.
If you’re like me with a 2.5 hour round trip commute then every 16 day or so you’ve “worked” another week.
I hate commuting. Unless it’s bike commuting.
4) There are more empty houses in the US than there are homeless people.
5) Lost Generation? The true cost of war:
80% of all Russian males born in the year 1923 didn’t live past the year 1945.
6) The world population has doubled since 1960.
In the year 1804 the world human population reached 1 billion.
In the year 1927 the world human population reached 2 billion. 123 years to reach an extra 1 billion people.
In the year 1960 the world human population reached 3 billion. 33 years. yes, one BILLION people in THIRTY THREE years.
In the year 1974 the world human population reached 4 billion. 14 years.
In the year 1987 the world human population reached 5 billion. 13 years.
On October 12th, 1999 the world human population reached 6 billion. 12 years.
Edit: 7 billion in 2011
7) 9 million children under the age of 5 die every year from treatable diseases and illnesses, the majority of which are Diarrhea and Pneumonia.
8) 800 million people did not eat today. A different 800 million people are overweight or obese.
9) Approximately one in twenty people you know do not have the biological father they think they have. This includes you.
From ‘Sperm Wars’:
On average, about 10 percent of children are not sired by their supposed fathers. Some men, however, have a higher chance of being deceived in this way than others – and it is those of low wealth and status who fare worst. Actual figures range from 1 percent in high-status areas of the United States and Switzerland, to 5 to 6 percent for moderate-status males in the United States and Great Britain, to 10 to 30 percent for lower-status males in the United States, Great Britain, and France. Moreover, the men most likely to sexually hoodwink the lower-status males are men of higher status. Anthropological studies have shown precisely the same pattern. Men of higher wealth and status obtain partners earlier, start to reproduce earlier, are less likely to have their partners impregnated by other man, and are more likely to impregnate the partners of other men. So in all ways, men of wealth and status have potential to be reproductively more successful than their lower-status contemporaries
The 10% figure comes from this source: Macintyre, S. & Sooman, A. (1992) Non-paternity and prenatal genetic screening. Lancet, 338, 839
10) 90% of Americans live within 15 minutes of a Walmart.
11) Bonus: this blog goes to eleven.
You are more likely to be killed by a toaster than a shark
12) Okay, wait, one more: The amount of American dollars spent on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars could have paid for solar panels on the roof of every house in America saving Americans billions in energy costs and help towards saving the planet.
The cost of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars since 2001 is about $1.467 Trillion.
There are about 132 million households in the US as of 2011.
This is about $11,000 per household that has been spent on the war.
The average household uses 11,280 kWh of power a year. at an average of 12 hours of daylight per day, each household would need to generate about 2.5 kW of power from solar panels.
A quick google shopping search shows 2.5 kW panels are about $10,000. This is obviously not taking into account weather issues or any other inaccuracies, but the math is correct.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 48,070 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,580 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 13,126 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,171 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 4,908 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 3,674 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 249 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,300 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 123 shares