1. Cheaters never prosper.
Truth: “the rain falls on the just and the unjust fella—most mostly on the just, for the unjust has got the just’s umbrella.”
2. The customer is always right.
Truth: Most of the times, customers are just crazy. And some businesses do good business because they have a healthy sense of self, and don’t bend to complaints. “In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
3. “No offense, but…” [Followed by an offensive statement]
4. “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”
Truth: Often, it makes you considerably weaker
5. “Nothing is impossible.”
6. “It all happens for a reason.”
Truth: No, it doesn’t. Tragedy befalls the innocent, and luck attaches itself to the privileged. Karma is not what we think it is…it’s interdependence, not justice. If there is a reason, usually that reason is rooted in our passion, aggression, or ignorance. Or, physics. Not the stars.
7. “God never gives you more than you can bear.”
8. “Money can’t buy happiness.”
Truth: studies have shown this to be true for the rich, but the difference between poor and middle class has a significant effect on happiness.
9. “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.”
Truth: Anyone who’s ever been on the receiving end of a rude, anonymous internet comment knows this one is a half-truth. “Psychological abuse can cause more damage than just about anything else, and you can’t just heal up and move on like you can with physical injuries.”
10. “We only use 10% of our brain.”
Truth: No, we don’t.