5 Lessons in Trusting the Universe. ~ Megan Casten

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 2.6
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
195.7k

We never know what the Universe has in store for us.

As hard as it is to not know what’s going to happen from one moment to the next, we must trust that there is a force greater than us. This force, the Universe, is guiding us and looking out for us, even in the moments we feel all alone.

This has been my experience in life and after making the decision several years back to change my life completely, I have learned to have patience and trust and that all is going according to plan. The plan may not have ultimately been mine, but I know that the Universe has wonderful things in store for me and that’s a comforting feeling to be sure.

Throughout my journey I’ve learned some very valuable lessons that I would like to share with you.

Two years ago everything changed for me. I ended my marriage and moved from my safe, cozy, familiar life to a city where I knew virtually no one. A clean slate, I thought. A new life.

I knew that I was was starting fresh, but I didn’t really give my new life much thought as I made my plans. When I say I didn’t give it much thought, it wasn’t in a naive or irresponsible way.

I had a job and a place to stay, but beyond those things I just knew and trusted that everything else would fall into place and that it was all going to be okay.

How did I know this? Well I believe in a little—no, a big thing, called the Universe. I trusted its guidance when I made the decision to separate from my ex-husband and start fresh and knew there was a plan for me. A plan that was much greater than what I had in mind.

I didn’t know all of the details of that greater plan but could feel it inside of my heart. My heart—that loving voice that told me there were bigger and greater things out there for me.

Lesson #1: Have a basic plan.

When I made my decision to move, I started by looking for a job. I knew I would not move without being employed as I was not in a financially stable enough position to do so, so I scoured the online job sites until I found a job that appealed to me.

I ended up flying to two interviews—both on my own dime!

I could feel in my heart that this was going to work out and that the job was going to be mine, and it was! Three weeks before I moved I found out I got the job! I felt so strongly that the Universe had my back on this one that I had actually booked my ticket without knowing for certain the job was mine. It was a risky move, but the feeling was so strong, I went with my gut and took the plunge and it paid off.

I also knew that having a place to stay was a pretty important piece of the plan, so after telling close friends about my plans to move, they offered their home to me for a few months until I got on my feet. These happened to be the only people I knew in the city and what a blessing it was to have them open their home to me and to have their support to make the transition that much easier.

Lesson #2: Go with the flow.

It’s good to know where your source of income will come from and to know where you will sleep at night but as for the rest, I suggest that you throw the map out the window and go with the flow!

It can be hard to just “see what happens”—especially if it’s not in your nature to have such a carefree spirit—but trust me, it’s for the best.

I had these big, amazing plans based on making lots of money, loving my single life and meeting a close group of friends straight away. I think because I had a plan in place, I was that much more disappointed when the plan failed. With no set plan there are no expectations, and thus you will not be as disappointed with the situation (or with yourself) if it doesn’t go quite how you thought it would.

I planned that I would live on my own (for the first time in my life!) and love it…which couldn’t have been further from how it actually turned out. Living on my own for the first time in a city where I knew virtually no one was a pretty tough thing.

I hated all of the alone time I had with myself. I had never had time to get to know me. Who was this stranger I was living with?

“Who am I?” was a question I asked myself quite a bit, and I had no solid answer.

In addition to having expectations of loving my bachelorette lifestyle, I had great plans of attaining a close group of girlfriends immediately. Little did I realize that it’s a heck of a lot harder to meet “bffs” in your thirties! I managed to befriend a woman from Chile, with whom I spent most evenings and weekends. But in the end she was not such a great bff after all: there were lots of tears and one-sided conversations.

Needless to say I was thoroughly disappointed with myself because I had had such a hard time with it all. I was left feeling like a failure in the grand life I envisioned. I came very close to packing it in, admitting defeat, and moving home. And then what? I’d have to show my face to family and friends and say to everyone I left behind, say “Yeah, you were right. I made a mistake. Can I come home now?”

No. I decided that was not going to happen and so I stayed.  (Although…as you’ll see in the next lesson, admitting defeat is not always a bad thing. We do sometimes have to experience defeat for one reason or another.)

Looking back on everything now, I would not have put as much time and energy into the visions and the planning. Instead, I should have let the Universe guide me and see how it all unfolded. This leads me into the next lesson…

Lesson #3: Know when to admit defeat (and when to recognize that you are being tested or challenged by the Universe).

For me, this life experience was a challenge of growth and determination, so I rose to the occasion and accepted the invitation to grow. And it paid off!

Alternatively, had I risen to the challenge, stuck it out for another year and still ended up unhappy and miserable, at least I would have been able to look back on that experience and proudly say, “I made the move, made tough decisions along the way and although I experienced much growth, it is time to return home.” I would have been okay with that.

I had to know that I truly gave it my all and gave it the best shot I could. At that time, a year and a half ago, I hadn’t reached that point yet, which was why I stayed. So, if one thing fails, be open to trying it a different way, and so I did.

Lesson #4: Never say never!

I recognized that living on my own was not the most beneficial situation for me to be in so I sought out a roommate. Did I think my ‘roommate’ days were over? You betcha!

I knew it had to be though, and so the woman from Chile and I moved in with one another and all was going wonderfully. During this transition time, I looked at my experiences up until then and when I say ‘looked’, we’re talking Sherlock Holmes with a magnifying glass!

I am in tune with the Universe and recognized these tough moments not as setbacks or failures, but as moments of learning and growth. There were certain things I needed to experience and the situations I was finding myself in were providing that growth that I so desperately needed.

Be open to what comes your way, even if it something you thought you would never do. It might be happening in order to teach you something valuable.

Lesson #5:  Be in tune.

Recognize that what you may see or feel on the outside is often disguised as deep spiritual and emotional growth on the inside.

Had I not been in tune with my Self and recognized my experiences as opportunities of growth, I would have likely found myself back in the city I left and you wouldn’t be reading this right now.  Fortunately that is not the case, however.  I pride myself on being in tune with my Self, and with the Universe, and so I saw that my time here was not complete and I had much more learning to do than I had originally thought.

I am thankful for that awareness and so I continue to listen to my inner guide and watch for the signs, which continue to point me in the right direction.

The above was my situation about two years ago and it’s been about two and a half years since I made my move.  Within the past year and a half, as the Universe unfolds in the magical way that it does, I now find myself married to an amazingly warm, open, generous and loving man and we just welcomed our first child into the world five months ago.

Had I sat here a year and a half ago, in the apartment I shared with my roommate and wrote to you about my thoughts of how my future looked, being in an amazing relationship and having a child could not have been farther from my mind.

The Universe always has a greater plan for us but we tend to suffocate or extinguish its plans with our own. We often believe that we know what is best for us when, in my opinion, we often don’t.

There is a plan in place for each and every one of us and whether or not we are privy to all of that Divine information in the beginning is the Universe’s decision. We are on a need-to-know basis with the Universe and we must trust that there is a higher power guiding the way. The one thing that I love about myself is the same thing that I dislike about myself and that is: I follow my heart. Yes, it can be very frustrating sometimes and can get in the way a lot, but ultimately, that is what I trust and that is what I know to be the truth.

That Divine feeling in your soul that whispers, “You know the way”, that feeling of love and certainty, well, that’s the Universe making itself present to you and reassuring you that it’s all going to be just fine.

Relephant reads:

Do You Trust The Universe?

Let Go & Trust the Process: Unveil Your Gift.

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Assistant Editor: Renee Picard

Photo: Wikimedia Commons (NASA)

x

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 2.6
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
195.7k

Elephant:Now
is a new feature on Elephant Journal—enabling you to instantly share your mindful ideas, photos, art, YouTube videos/Instagram links & writings with our 5 million readers. Try it Now.

Write Now

Megan Casten

Megan Casten is a lover of life and adventure. A regular contributor for elephant journal and the love and inspiration behind www.megancasten.com, she gains strength and confidence in sharing her own life experiences with others in hopes that she might touch someone’s heart who may need it. Megan’s passion is to inspire and motivate others and being able to do this full-time is, well, a dream job come true! Her adventures are far from being over and she embraces each day with arms wide open, all while doing so with compassion, love and grace.

Comments

28 Responses to “5 Lessons in Trusting the Universe. ~ Megan Casten”

1. 619peace says:

I needed to read this post. It spoke directly to me right where I am at this moment…and gave me hope to stay strong, and stay the course. Thank you

• Megan says:

I'm so glad it resonated with you… The course isn't always an easy one but know that you ARE strong and can do it 🙂

• JayJay1980 says:

It also resonated with me. At the beginning of the year I sold all my possessions and left my apartment to wander the world hoping to relocate and begin working to help and serve others. All because my inner voice, heart, intuition told me to do it ( it was practically screaming it by the time I finally listened a year and half later ). Well none of that's manifested quite yet and I'm practically out of money and haven't found a place that's resonated with me to live and work yet…. So keep me in your thoughts and thank you for this article… Bless

2. Grace says:

Yes, thank you for this post. I am at a point in my life where i thought i would be more settled. Yet, here i am, 50, facing divorce, looking for work and scared silly. BUT! I feel like finally, FINALLY, i am letting the universe do its magic. I am letting go of a marriage that was lifeless, and changing careers to one i think i am much more suited to. Honestly, i am so excited to allow all the good the universe has in store for me and i am ready to receive it (knowing that doesn’t mean sit back and do nothing…) anyway- thank you for this post. You have confirmed what i feel is right in my gut. Thank you.

• Megan says:

You are most welcome… As it sounds like the next chapter of your life is beginning to unfold, I am glad that my words have confirmed what you feel to be true. Interesting thing, the gut feelings always seem to be the ones that speak a truth we don't always want to listen to. That said, I am so happy to hear that you are loosening the reins and allowing space for growth, a little bit of fear and a whole lot of love to seep in. Nothing but good will come even if it means a little bit of temporary discomfort. Know that the fear will subside only to be replaced by a happiness you didn't know existed…<3

3. Grateful2be says:

Thank you for this post. I too am right where you were 2 years ago. It gave me hope and inspiration.

• Megan says:

Know that I am cheering you on and as living proof, you will be a stronger person for having gone through such an experience. It's hard sometimes, to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you are in the midst of darkness. Know though, that there is a light shining brighter than you could have ever imagined, waiting to greet you at the other end 🙂

4. Trevor Hogan says:

I believe me finding this article was planned. 6 months ago I reached the bottom of hell with my job and life. I had lived in mountainous states for the past ten years. I now reside by the Deep South. Anyway, I made a short plan, submitted my resignation, and ms heading to CO for the great unknown. I am looking forward to starting over. I’ve been great flu to have traveled all over the world and purchase/design camping product.

To those lost souls, push and receive.

Cheers,

T

5. Mathilde says:

So true! Thank you for sharing.

6. C.P. says:

Thank you so much for this post! I'm only 21, but I feel as if I had had to grow a lot more than my peers in the past 2 years. After facing many struggles in my personal, financial, spiritual… pretty much every aspect of my life… I feel as if I am finally getting somewhere. I am studying what I am passionate about, I am making friends where we have a mutual respect for one another, I am getting along better with my family, and I finally have a stable job among other things. It's only been recently that I realized that I had to let go of a relationship I was in to finally grow as a person. While that was the last step in finally cutting ties with my old self and old life where I wasn't doing anything to benefit myself, it was probably the hardest and one that still causes me a bit a pain months later. While I do miss this person in a way and had much different expectations about how my life was going to turn out, I feel as if I can "breath" now instead of stressing so much about the little things. I do feel as if I am on a pathway to becoming who I am, and I do feel the universe guiding me towards all of these great opportunities 🙂

• Megan says:

I'm so glad it resonated with you… The course isn't always an easy one but know that you are strong and can do anything <3 It takes much strength to do what you are doing and know that you will be so much stronger from the experience. Amazing, that you can and are, recognizing this time as an opportunity for growth and that you are staying so positive. The path is often a painful one but know there are others on the same journey and are here to support you. Thank you, you have inspired me… 🙂

7. Mindy says:

Yep – at 53 my husband decided he didn't want to be married anymore. Crushing – yes, Debilitating – only for a while. I decided it was time for a big change. Found a great job (or so I thought), moved to a town where I knew no one in another state and started over. Yes it has been difficult making friends and fitting in. The job has been a huge challenge and test of my emotional intelligence. So while the job is not working out and I want to move to a bigger city, I am trusting the Universe that this had to happen first so that I learned what I needed to know about myself. Living alone for the first time has been wonderful for me. I enjoy the solitude and not having to compromise and worry about another person. So now I have a number of applications in for really good jobs and I have finished the remodeling of the house I bought and am going to put it on the market. I am trusting the Universe that this will all work out as it should and I have never been happier.

• Megan says:

Wow, Mindy…I have so much respect for you and for your journey. It's amazing, what the Universe can surprise us with but even more amazing, that you are seizing this time and making it one of change and growth. Cliche perhaps, but everything DOES happen for a reason and it happens in exactly the way and time it is meant to. Thinking of you and sending lots of positive energy and love 🙂

8. Silver says:

Truly, thank you. It’s always so nice to be reassured that there are others who face what I’m going through! I am not alone! Yay! I moved to Hawaii 2 years ago to start fresh and heal. It was really hard, given the circumstances I was under. And disappointing because I’m normally very adaptable to newness. It’s just that point in my life where I am learning a tremendous amount about myself. Spending this much time alone has been a blessing in disguise.

• Megan says:

You are so very welcome! I always find it comforting too, to know that there are others in similar situations. I'm so happy to hear that you are in a space where you are able to see the blessings and not all of the negativity surrounding the situation. So happy for you and much love as you continue your journey…<3

9. Angie Jasso says:

Funny how the universe sync stories and moments: I am living right now pretty much your story.

As you, I surrendered to my limited-human plans and followed that sacred whisper within me.

I have been tested, it has been challenging, but I am completely certain that there is something bigger waiting for me.

You know what?

Following this voice made me feel empowered and above all:

Brave enough to discover the gifts the LIGHT is planning for me.

Thanks for sharing 🙂

10. KorinaLailani says:

Thank you! I'm going through this now and realizing how I have no control over the universe and that's a tough pill to swallow for someone that likes control. I've experienced tremendous growth over the last 6 months – going through a divorce, moving out of the house we built and uprooting me and my children to my parent's house. I'm facing a possible relocation and a job that I should know more about in the next week – so the waiting game has begun and I'm trying to maintain trust in the universe and all the divine actions I cannot see. It's not easy but your words provided me with comfort and peace and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

11. Jeff says:

End one marriage for another, giving up on people seems to be the theme these days. What happened to commitment…

• Dave says:

Commitment is a two-way street Jeff. Can't speak for Megan or anyone else, only for myself. For me marriage is about having a deep intimate connection with another person. To maintain this status qou it takes work. When one person drops the balls the other is there to give support and understanding. However and reiterating its supposed to be a 2-way street.

In my case, my soon to be ex-partner dodged, avoided and simple refused to address some deep-personal-issues she had which was making our relationship toxic. After many years of hope and broken promises, I resolved myself to the reality that she was not going to do a thing about these issues.

By this stage I was burnt out, unhappy and an empty shell. At 53 I woke up one day and had the epiphany, if nothing changes, nothing changes. If she wouldn't seek help to for her issues, then clearly the relationship and I weren't important enough to her to address her issues and get help.

My happiness, mental health and overall well-being is what makes me, me. I was sick and tired of feeling rejected, unapreciated and being in a relationship which was one-sided. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink – believe me I've tried many, many times.

Continuing like this, all I was doing was enabling my ex-partner to continue to live in denial and avoid facing her demons. One can only try so much, till eventually they too start getting sucked down the drain. Hence it wastime to call it a day.

12. Ashley says:

Thank you for this post. I'm currently in the 'should I leave my husband and this comfortable life, even though I'm unhappy but I love him stage.' It's so hard to make the decision, but I've gotta just trust the Universe that it will all workout in the end.

13. Anita says:

LESSSON 2#GO WITH THE FLOW 🙂

14. thequietlydeepsoul says:

Dearest Megan,

Stumbling upon this article in my facebook news feed today couldn't have made my afternoon any better!! Your words truly resonated deeply for me and I provided a few little giggles while I said the words "me too!" and "oh, so true" along with the smile to match. I love what you are expressing and preaching and I am a firm believer in going with the flow and trusting the order of life and the universe. I was recently meant to embark on my own solo journey overseas, after having spent the last year and a half of my life, putting it back together the best way I can. Through much trust and spiritual awareness, I was ready to go an deepen further into the unknown, but as the universe would have it, just as I thought I would be living this amazing single life, travelling the globe, doing whatever the heck i want when I want… In comes that wonderful man that ticks all your boxes and brings much excitement back into your heart that you never thought you would feel again. Sometimes when we believe one thing is going to be what we need, the universe knows what it is we TRULY need, and so, delivers. I perceived it as the worst timing in the world and reluctantly let him in for a little while, until finally my heart was singing its own love song and I couldn't fight was meant for me any longer. I am now in a relationship that in time so far, has exceeded all my relationships put together. When you do the work you need to do and trust in the higher order and your own intuition, you are attuned to the soul of the universe and together you can create such magic! Thank you for sharing this insight and wisdom! I could feel every word of what you wrote, and that is a beautiful thing. Much love and success to you, and congratulations on the beautiful family and on being a beautiful mother. May the universe continue to bless you xx

15. Natalie says:

In the same boat! Four years ago I moved to the Bay Area, SF- a city I’d always idealized only a year in to have a rough time with job which ended up laying me off and my heart got broken – a lot of solitude on unemployment led me to dig deep and heal my past even tho I battled with depression and isolation. I did get a scholarship for grad school in a diff city and unexpectedly am back for a second round in the Bay! Had a well paying job but negative environment so I took a risk and left with 2nd interviews lined up! I know the Universe is guiding me and teaching me patience, gratitude for daily progress, and to be lighthearted when I stumble. No need to fight these lessons this time!

16. christiepage says:

LOVE THIS!!

17. Justin K. says:

Hi, I really enjoyed reading this. It’s nice to read about other people’s experiences with the universe. It just reminds you that your trials and tribulations (or accomplishments) are not necessarily unique to you, they happen to everyone, in varying degrees. Anyway, I wanted to ask if you’ve ever heard of Mark Passio? He’s got a great podcast called “What on earth is happening”. He talks about a lot of interesting things dealing with the universe, among other topics. Check him out if you ever get a chance.

18. Loisa says:

Although I grew up in a religious ( the belief in God) household I have been saying myself lately, ” the universe is testing me.” It has been a hard few months with many more to go. I moved into my apartment this past February and by the end of March early April my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, and soon after our mom was in town. My mom’s first trip in town lasted about four months. She was living between my sister’s place and mine. Mostly mine. I do love my mom, but just dealing with our mom alone was tough. My sister is doing well. Her chemo is almost over and soon she will be receiving radiation treatments. Our mom has been back in town for a month now and I’m beginning to feel a little hopeless because she has a somewhat of a take-over personality, as Aries people tend to and I just enjoy peace and quiet. She will be here for about 8 months and right now that seems an eternity. It has been hard for me to enjoy my apartment to myself with her rearranging my things, buying and storing things, and just not having the peace and quiet when I come home from work. I set goals for myself and other personal aspirations but now I’m feeling like all those things just aren’t going to be happening and it’s hard.