The Year of New Traditions.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
25.2k

elephant One

Recently, I decided that 2014 is The Year of New Traditions.

If I remember correctly, this decision was made about a month ago. Of the new traditions I have recently created, the best and most eloquent is this:

“If something appears to be unpleasant, I will do everything in my power to make it pleasant by doing whatever it is I have to do to make it so.”

In keeping with this new tradition, I decided to get an incredibly wacky updo and make up job to get my new driver’s license. Why? Well, think about spending an hour or two standing in line at the DMV and you will have your answer.

I went to my favorite hair salon in my local shopping mall and I told my stylist to make me look crazy, but not just-got-out-of-bed or sloppy crazy. I wanted to look intentionally crazy, which, as most of us know, is a completely wonderful and entertaining form of crazy. Especially when considering who we are entertaining: ourselves.

It was a huge success. Especially considering how entertained I was by all the people looking at me like I was crazy. I am almost certain I felt the exact same way Jennifer Aniston feels when she walks through a mall; like everyone is pointing at her and talking about how amazing she looks.

Where, you might ask, did I get the inclination to do such a thing? The place where every great idea comes from: Mary Poppins.

“In every job that must be done there is an element of fun. Find the fun and snap! The job’s a game.

Yes, I added a spoon full of sugar to my DMV experience and I, in return have a gift that will keep on giving for the rest of my life if I choose, an ID that will make me chuckle every time I am asked for it.

So far, I am killing it in 2014.

Relephant reads:

The Best New Year’s Resolution I Ever Made.

The Year of the Unicorn: 8 Magical Ways to Celebrate.

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Editor: Catherine Monkman

Photo: Author’s own.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
25.2k

Read The Best Articles of November
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Sara Young

Sara Young is a writer, artist, cyclist, amateur yogi, and avid poetry appreciator.

Originally from Chicago, Illinois, Sara is presently undertaking a project which she hopes will turn the tide and inspire people to love, accept, and show compassion for themselves and each other. She is traveling the US handing out love stickers and telling people they are awesome, and when she can, talking to people about the importance of remembering that love unites everyone.

She is a Freedom Fighter, a Creative Adventurer, a bringer of light, and the owner of Eloquent as Fuck, a company whose mission it is to help people live boldly and confidently in their own skin, loving the ride as they go through their wild and wonderful lives. http://www.eloquentasfuck.com/

You can follow A Love Rebellion at www.aloverebellion.com

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Feb 20, 2014 5:34pm

Smiling!!!

anonymous Feb 10, 2014 1:19pm

I love, love, love this…It made me laugh on a day I couldn't find much to laugh at….I bet you have lots of fun in your life….♥ ♥ ♥

anonymous Feb 10, 2014 8:43pm

Oh, yes, I do. Even on days that are not that awesome.

anonymous Feb 7, 2014 12:13am

This is precisely why I consider you one of the most AWESOME people I know!

anonymous Feb 7, 2014 6:41pm

Oh John! I love you so! Thanks so much for the wonderful compliment. We should really see each other soon!

anonymous Feb 4, 2014 10:23am

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! Last year was a very hard year for so many of my friends, illness, divorce,loss of employment. Even for myself I couldn't avoid crap from a year I call craptastic and was diagnosed with ms. So I decided to start have fun and making my friends and Family have fun as well. Some Family members have not enjoyed it but I feel if I keep working hard at it they too will pull the stick out of their ( you know what) and join the fun. Life should be silly, fun and full of laughter!!!!

anonymous Feb 4, 2014 9:02am

Love it – a great reminder 🙂 And the Mary Poppins quote should be framed and hung up on my wall!!!!

anonymous Feb 4, 2014 9:26am

Yes indeed. Mary Poppins is my new Guru.

anonymous Feb 3, 2014 9:18pm

LOVE this! Last time I had a photo taken for my passport, I happened to schedule it right after a new haircut. I liked the cut, but the way the hairdresser styled it was finger-in-a-socket, mental-asylum-escapee c-r-a-z-y! I did my best to smooth it down but just ended up making it look like crazy-that-has-been-slept-on-a-bit. This, coupled with the fact that you're not allowed to smile for passport photos, resulted in the most disturbingly demented-looking image I have ever had the displeasure to have to show to customs officials. Seriously. Whenever I tell people about it, they're all, "It can't be THAT bad," and then they see it and they're all, "………………Oh. Wow."

I have had to live with this embarrassing passport photo for the last four years, but now, inspired by your post, I am going to pretend it was intentional and display it to airline officials with glee. THANK YOU!

anonymous Feb 3, 2014 6:17pm

Yes! Whenever I get my picture taken for use on photo ID, I make the goofiest smile possible (think Tom Cruise in Risky Business: "Looks like University of Illinois!"). Even better, the last couple of times I've renewed or replaced my license, I've been able to do so online—meaning I've been able to use the photo they took of me in 2005. Never fails to get at least a giggle from bank tellers and store clerks who ask to check my ID.

anonymous Feb 3, 2014 11:25am

AMAZING!!!!!!

anonymous Feb 3, 2014 4:31am

Adorable! What a truly fun idea! Fun approach and can be applied in different ways to many situations…

anonymous Feb 3, 2014 9:13am

Thank you so much. I apply it to every aspect of my life. I will be posting about all the little things I do to make my life wonderful all month long.

anonymous Feb 2, 2014 9:47pm

<3 it!

anonymous Feb 2, 2014 8:55pm

Wow-love this! Most of us end up hating our drivers license photo anyway. So what a great way to have fun with it!

anonymous Feb 2, 2014 9:42pm

Exactly! Instead of dreading pulling out my license, I giggle every time I am asked for it! It is a constant source of entertainment. Thanks so much for the compliment.

anonymous Feb 2, 2014 3:34pm

Thanks so much! I will post the final photo tomorrow. I am doing one blog post a day for elephant journal. It is one of my other New Traditions.

anonymous Feb 3, 2014 8:54pm

let us know where you will post the final pic 😉 your story made me smile. Congrats on all the traffic you're getting too!

anonymous Feb 2, 2014 2:41pm

How great this is! Thank you for sharing! I’d love to see the final photo!

anonymous Feb 2, 2014 2:07pm

this makes me really happy. nicely done.

anonymous Feb 2, 2014 3:33pm

Thank you so much!! It makes me happy too!

anonymous Feb 2, 2014 2:07pm

You are braver than I!

anonymous Feb 2, 2014 3:33pm

I am quite sure that you are brave too. Just in your own awesome, quiet way.