8 Quotes for Wild Ones Lost in the Unknown.

Via Bryonie Wise
on Apr 8, 2014
get elephant's newsletter

"where the wild things are" movie

These days, the path ahead is not clear; the only thing I can see is the unknown and through my own practice and my relationship to the God of my own understanding, I know that this place, the land of I-don’t-know and what-comes-next and how-will-I-pay-my-rent is one that I must allow myself to settle into until it is time to move from this place.

And so, as I sit, in this place of uncertainty, of worry of my own financial security, of my ego saying Hurry up, we’re falling behind, the only thing I can do is listen to my heart rediscover her rhythm.

I read and sleep and rest and walk and play and practice in my tiny apartment in a big city, surrounded by love, getting personal with the unknown and I turn to those that have come before me and walked their own paths for inspiration:

~ Jack Kerouac

***

“I made it the mantra of those days; when I paused before yet another series of switchbacks or skidded down knee-jarring slopes, when patches of flesh peeled off my feet along with my socks, when I lay alone and lonely in my tent at night I asked, often out loud: Who is tougher than me?The answer was always the same, and even when I knew absolutely there was no way on this earth that it was true, I said it anyway: No one.”

~ Cheryl Strayed

***

“I exist as I am, that is enough,
If no other in the world be aware I sit content,
And if each and all be aware I sit content.
One world is aware, and by the far the largest to me, and that is myself,
And whether I come to my own today or in ten thousand or ten million years,
I can cheerfully take it now, or with equal cheerfulness, I can wait.”

~ Walt Whitman

***

“Whatever you are physically…male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy—all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.”

~ Cassandra Clare

(Thank you, Sara Rodriguez, for this one.)

***

“A kind of light spread out from her. And everything changed color. And the world opened out. And a day was good to awaken to. And there were no limits to anything. And the people of the world were good and handsome. And I was not afraid any more.”

~ John Steinbeck

***

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”

~ Paulo Coelho

***

“Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it’s yours.”

~ Ayn Rand

***

“But secretly I knew I had been transformed, moved by the revelation that human beings create art, that to be an artist was to see what others could not.”

~ Patti Smith

***

“Remember, remember, this is now, and now, and now. Live it, feel it, cling to it. I want to become acutely aware of all I’ve taken for granted.”

~ Sylvia Plath

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Editor: Rachel Nussbaum

Photo: elephant archives/courtesy of the author

About Bryonie Wise

Bryonie’s life is rooted in the belief that when we come from a place of love, anything is possible. When not teaching yoga or writing her heart to the bone, she can be found frolicking in the sunshine with her camera & her dog, Winston, living her yoga. Stay in the loop of all her magical happenings, connect with her on Facebook, TwitterInstagram—& maybe even add her first book, HEART ROAR: A Book of Tiny Prayers to your collection.

Comments

29 Responses to “8 Quotes for Wild Ones Lost in the Unknown.”

1. This has touched me in just the right way and at just the right time. I love you. Thank you. (From a fellow quote lover/seeker/collector.) xoxo

2. krista says:

I saw Patti Smith in concert, in Prague, so close to the stage because Europe is more at ease with the whole being close to stars thing. You continue to be a divine inspiration through your words, and I just want you to know, I miss you at Ej as editor. You're a true gem, now, then, always. Keep shining, dear.
    xox
    P.S. “I promise I shall never give up, and that I’ll die yelling and laughing, and that until then I’ll rush around this world I insist is holy and pull at everyone’s lapel and make them confess to me and to all.”

~ Jack Kerouac
    I must remember this, and will, Thanks for the reminder.
    Everything that lives is holy. -William Blake, (one of my all time favorites. ) Bless.

3. Mary Frankos says:

beautiful collection of quotes, thank you…
    keep writing.

4. @Jonika8 says:

I know something is true when the hairs on my body stand up straight and I get goose bumps. Thank you, Bryonie, for your courage and your vulnerability. So precious, so rare.

5. KB says:

Freaked out for a second when I couldn't find this article again; I read it earlier today at my work place. I'm an Actor who works at a Law Firm, and I'm sure you can imagine that, for someone like me, this place is pretty quiet… Too quiet. I'm not sure if it's because the nature of the work or because of the amount of stress some of us are under, but I make it a point to try and brighten up everybody's day by striking up conversations here and there. Whether it's a simple 'hello,' or a, 'How was your weekend?' I try… And it works.

Simply because, for the most part, no body really shares anything (Unless it's work related) with anybody here and that to me just seems a little strange. Something about being cooped up in an office for 8 – 12 hours a day just seems unnatural, not to mention unhealthy.

A long point drawn short, I just wanted to say thanks for posting these incredible quotes. Today they reminded me that although I'm not in the exact place I want to be, I'm doing what needs to be done to get there.

Thank you, Bryonie (And Elephant Journal).

– KB

6. karlsaliter says:

Nice one, Bry. I liked "I want to become acutely aware of all I’ve taken for granted.”"

7. elephantjournal says:

Oh, thank you love. xoxo

8. elephantjournal says:

Oh, thank you, thank you. xo

9. elephantjournal says:

Thanks Mary!

10. elephantjournal says:

I felt that shiver go down my spine! xo

11. elephantjournal says:

Much love to you xo

12. elephantjournal says:

Ohhhhhhh.

13. Beth says:

Love all but Paulo Coelho is my fav!! Thanks soo!!!

14. Felina says:

My mother recently died at only 54 years old. I am only 32. I still feel like a child who has lost her mommy despite being an adult with a steady job and child of my own. She died the day my divorce was finalized. Yet, I remain strong. And quotes such as these show me that others have known the suffering I now feel, and have grown from it – learning to have a new appreciation for life and a deeper connection to our universe. Love this blog, thank you for sharing.

15. elephantjournal says:

Thank you for reading!

16. elephantjournal says:

Oh sister, sending you much love. xoxoxo

17. Jules says:

I cannot lighten your burden and perhaps I should not, even if I could, for men grow strong thru bearing burdens. If I can, I will show you how to acquire strength to meet all your difficulties and face the duties of the day. –Elbert Hubbard

My favorite. jules

18. elephantjournal says:

Oh, so beautiful. Thank you. xo

19. surprised says:

Yikes, I hope you didn't realize it, but the Ayn Rand snippet you quote as 'inspiring' is from her extreme right wing manifesto Atlas Shrugged. The book depicts well meaning industrialists being plagued by workers demanding fair wages, who she deems to be "looters" and "moochers." The novel is a blueprint for the Tea Party, reviling "parasites" as anyone who wants to tax the rich, defend unions, or calling for regulation of big business. The book goes further, belittling spirituality and extolling the virtues of monetizing everything: "Whenever destroyers appear among men, they start by destroying money, for money is men's protection and the base of a moral existence." Do you really find that inspiring?

20. Coco says:

Exactly! I switched off after that.

21. Lucy says:

I was moved and inspired by the quotes in this article. But even more so by everybody commenting, and their connections to what you posted. I am grateful… for the article, the comments, everything. Everything.
    Thank you.

22. dlransom says:

Lovely…love love love. Thank you for sharing.

23. Mikayla says:

Thank you. My husband was recently given a terminal diagnosis, and we’re slowly growing into acceptance. A part of our journey is grief, but we also strive to recognize the beauty of sharing it, the strength we are gaining within our spirits, and the joy of each moment of mutual encouragement and support. We shared these quotes, along with tears and laughter. Thank you for the gift of our finding our “right now”, and being present for it.

24. laydowninthetallgrass says:

Oh Mikayla: sending you both so much love xoxo

25. laydowninthetallgrass says:

xoxoxoxo

26. laydowninthetallgrass says:

Thank you Lucy.

27. laydowninthetallgrass says:

I found the words of hers I shared inspiring—we can find value and benefit where we choose to look for it, I guess. And not everyone will agree.

28. laydowninthetallgrass says: