Even though it’s getting warm out I’m still craving this cheesy, “bacony” goodness!
It’s perfect for a BBQ get-together, potluck or impromptu picnic. The best part is if you have leftovers, no need to re-heat it’s even better after all the flavors have had a chance to get to know each other and marinate a little!
As a vegan who’s roots are planted firmly in the Dairy State (I’m talking about Wisconsin here, NOT California, you Dairy-State-title-stealing-jerks!), it was hard to give up cheese, but my search for delicious, cheesy substitutes lives on.
This recipe for Mac N’ Cheese is one that I think fits the bill and it tastes great without having to compromise my health or harm any animals.
So, here’s what to do.
- 8oz pasta
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 4 cups “bacon” mushrooms
1) Make the “bacon” first because it’s the most time consuming. Just follow this easy recipe from my last recipe blog. Make and set aside.
2) Preheat oven to 350F.
3) Cook 8oz of your favorite pasta. I prefer elbow macaroni and I use a gluten-free version. Cook according to the package but leave slightly al dente because we’ll be cooking them in the oven with the rest of the ingredients and we don’t want to over-cook. Drain and set aside.
4) Mix tahini, pumpkin puree, coconut milk, nutritional yeast and salt together in a bowl. Mix until all ingredients are blended and there are no lumps.
5) Cut tomatoes into small cubes.
6) Mix pasta, sauce, “bacon” and tomatoes together until the pasta is well coated with sauce. Pour into an oven dish and bake for 15 minutes.
I like it seasoned with salt and pepper with some avocado on top!
So, my fellow vegans, cheese on and be happy!
(This recipe has been adapted from Sketch-Free Eating.)
Love elephant and want to go steady?
Editor: Travis May
Photo Credit: Author’s Own