It’s easy to get sad as the carefree days of summer come to a close but before we go there, here are 10 bodacious quotes to reflect on the changing seasons.
And although I’ll openly admit that I’m slightly sad to see the days get shorter and to see leaves on the ground, it’s nice to know that we’ve got a few more weeks left and that the autumn months give us much to look forward to.
Let’s collectively and softly say goodbye to summer and hello to autumn—
1. “Summer was our best season: it was sleeping on the back screened porch in cots, or trying to sleep in the treehouse; summer was everything good to eat; it was a thousand colors in a parched landscape; but most of all, summer was Dill.” ~ Harper Lee
2. “Spring passes and one remembers one’s innocence. Summer passes and one remembers one’s exuberance. Autumn passes and one remembers one’s reverence. Winter passes and one remembers one’s perseverance.” ~ Yoko Ono
3. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” ~ Dr. Seuss
4. “August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time.” ~ Sylvia Plath
5. “Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.” ~ Sam Keen
6. “By all these lovely tokens September days are here, With summer’s best of weather And autumn’s best of cheer.” ~ Helen Hunt Jackson
7. “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” ~ John Steinbeck
8. “People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when they’re happy.” ~ Anton Chekhov
9. “One must maintain a little bit of summer, even in the middle of winter.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
10. “There is something deep within us that sobs at endings. Why, God, does everything have to end? Why does all nature grow old? Why do spring and summer have to go?” ~ Joe Wheeler
Love elephant and want to go steady?
Editor: Catherine Monkman
Photo: Author’s Own