Cold & Flu Ginger Turmeric Tonic.

Via Anne Ricci
on Nov 18, 2014
get elephant's newsletter

cold and flu photo author's

Want to protect yourself from winter colds? This tonic is for you:

It’s my favorite drink throughout autumn and winter. It is deliciously warm and it boosts the immune system to protect us against colds and flu.

You’ve probably heard about the amazing health benefits of both ginger and turmeric. Ginger contains several antioxidants that help prevent and fight many diseases, and turmeric has especially powerful anti-inflammatory properties.

This combination of lemon, ginger and turmeric has an alkalizing effect on the body. Plus, it promotes glowing, radiant skin.

If you’re having food cravings or you’re feeling hungry in between meals, you can also drink this tonic as well as lots of water before you reach for a snack.

I make this tonic once a day in fall and winter, usually in the afternoon. But, it’s also great to drink first thing in the morning, about thirty minutes before breakfast. It will help cleanse your liver and give you more energy for your day.

What you need for one person:

1 ½ cup of hot water
3 slices of fresh ginger
½ tsp turmeric powder or one slice fresh turmeric root
½ lemon
1 tsp raw honey

What you do:

Place ginger slices and turmeric in a mug, and add the hot water. Let it steep for five minutes.

Squeeze in lemon and stir in raw honey.

Enjoy this warm, golden tonic!

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Author: Anne Ricci

Editor: Emily Bartran

Photo: Author’s Own

About Anne Ricci

Anne Ricci is a nutritionist and weight loss coach with a dietician training. She is a multilingual mom of two who has lived and traveled in more than 40 different countries and is now dedicated to helping women make healthy food choices and feel good in their body. Visit her website,AnnesHealthyKitchen.com where you can sign up for her 5-Step Healthy Weight Loss Solution. You can also connect with her on FacebookYoutube and Twitter.

Comments

8 Responses to “Cold & Flu Ginger Turmeric Tonic.”

1. NamasteB says:

Hi Anne,
    Thanks for this great reminder. My question is this: Can you weigh in on the cost/benefits of using fresh vs. bottled lemon juice? I'm naturally quite sceptical of e.g. Realemon, but when one is time-pressed (haha) & on a budget, using bottled lemon juice (either for this recipe or the morning lemon+water routine I used to do to support my liver) makes sense. As a dietician, what are your thoughts on this?
    Grazie!

2. Anne says:

Hi NamasteB, this is a great question. Fresh lemons are not created equal, and bottled juices aren't, either. Fresh lemons grown without pesticides and chemical fertilizers (usually, organic lemons) are the best you can use. When I have them in season, which is in winter here in Spain, I definitely use them. When they're not in season, the next best choice is bottled (glass bottles) organic lemon juice (pretty hard to find though, mine are imported from Italy). I understand your skepticism with brands like the one you mentioned, and I don't recommend them at all; the lemons are not organic, they usually add citric acid (which should not be necessary), plus the plastic bottles are really a bad idea as you may end up with chemicals in your juice.
    I have the same morning routine as you, it's really great for the liver, and I usually use my bottled organic juice on weekdays and fresh lemons on week-ends when I have more time (aren't we all caught in the morning rush?!).
    Hope this clarifies.

3. joe Sheils says:

Just read an Ej article that suggested not heating honey. What's up?

4. Anne says:

Hi Joe, yes, exactly.

Honey that has been industrially processed always gets heated and loses all its beneficial nutrients and enzymes. That’s why we always want to buy raw honey. Then, in the kitchen, it’s the same, we don’t want to heat it. In this drink, you add the honey after 5 minutes and after adding cold lemon juice, so it doesn’t have time to lose its properties.

For people who already have a cold, I also recommend simply making a paste with ginger, turmeric and honey, and eating a teaspoon of this a few times a day.

5. Oswald says:

For centuries via my grandmother we here in the netherlands always use the next receipt at the first signs of cold or flu.
    Juice of 2 yellow lemons in a large cup.. add 1 part of garlic cut into smallest parts.. add 3-4 soup spoons of unprocessed sugar (dark brown) fill the cup with hand warm water. Mix, but do not use metal. Drink quickly just before going to bed for the night. Sleep a bit warmer. During the night you sleep but next morning you feel your body sweated. Shower and one must feel better. Or repeat next day.

6. Gillian says:

Hi there I read the recipe for the turmeric tonic that recommends using honey, I am a diabetic so can you recommend a natural diabetic sweetner for me

7. Shannon says:

Can anyone recommend a substitute for lemon in all these drink & cold/flu recipes that are so good for us? I’m allergic to all citrus 🙁

Thank you!

8. MiMi says:

I have Type 2 Diabetes and count carbs. There are about 5.6 grams of carbs in 1 tsp of honey. I use raw honey and have not had any issues with my blood sugar. Additionally, I recently read an article that suggests there is medical research that supports turmeric as a way to help regulate blood sugar. You may want to search for information about the possible benefits of adding turmeric to your diet, if you are diabetic.