I Promise to Touch You.

Via Andy Charrington
on Jan 23, 2015
get elephant's newsletter

Rob/Flickr

If I ever marry again, I’d want my vows to be something like this.

I promise that I will always try to see you. That even when our bodies bend and our hands wrinkle, I will still see your true beauty.

I promise to listen, but I won’t be quiet. I want to hear your heart. I will always speak up because you matter more to me than the keeping of the peace.

I will be brave enough to be me as often as I can. For some crazy reason you fell in love with me and I want to keep it that way.

I promise to touch you. Every day.

I promise to always be there for you. I will have your back and always catch you.

I promise to support you where I can. I don’t want to solve your problems, but I do want to hold your hand while you do.

I promise to be your most diligent of students. I will go to the college of you and look forward to the graduation party.

I promise to never let you sleep unless you know that I love you. Whatever it takes, I will show you that I love you.

I promise to be honest. You will know me and have nothing to fear. For you will know my greatest fears.

I promise to take on all of you. Your fears, your dreams, your hopes and your loves. What made you so beautiful to me was the combination of all those things.

I promise to remember who you are. And to never make you anything else to me.

I promise to excite you. A rut is no place for two love royalties such as ourselves.

I promise to be in the moment. It’s all we have and it’s better with you in it.

I promise that once our time on earth is finished, even then I will still love you and if I can, will find you and hold you once more.

As a token of my love.

I give you this heart.

Until love do us part.

Now can I kiss the bride?

Relephant:

How to delight in eachother:

11 Ways to Maintain a Healthy Marriage

5 Reasons I Got Married & Why We Should Stop Criticizing Marriage.

The Truth About Marriage, Monogamy & Long-Term Partnership.

~

Bonus: The one Buddhist Red Flag to watch out for & how you’ll know if he or she is The One.

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Author: Andy Charrington

Editor: Emily Bartran

Photo: Rob/Flickr

1,203,777 views

About Andy Charrington

Andy Charrington loves to write, works for himself, has three sons and lives in Birmingham UK.

You can read more of his writing on his Facebook page where he is spending a year writing and publishing something every day as part of his "Adventure".

You can also support him on his Patreon page here.

Comments

47 Responses to “I Promise to Touch You.”

1. kimberly says:

This encompasses what love truely is. You have left me speechless!!!!!

Beautiful

2. Eva Webb says:

This brought tears to my eyes. Truly moving. I hope that one day a man will promise me these things.

3. Stop it Andy, I just can’t bring myself to re-read this…it’s too dead on.

As a 30-something male 6 years out of a divorce, I often try and find the words to explain to partners what I’m looking to give and receive before I commit again…and you just said it, every little word of it.

Great post man, this alone is worth my membership.

4. catherine says:

Truly beautiful…

5. Janet says:

Now those are vows I could get behind. What are you doing for the next 50 years, Andy?

6. This is truly amazingly awesometastic. LoVE LoVE what more is there!?

7. Starr MEdia Designs, LLC. says:

LoVE LoVE what more is there….

8. Amy says:

Wow!!! These should be EVERYONE’S vows. So beautiful, honest, and fulfilling of both hearts, becoming one, on their special day!! You are an amazing writer!! I am left speechless, also! ❤

9. Francoise says:

Soulmate love…. When you love yourself like you are you are your own soulmate, which makes you ready for your "soulmate". Thank you for this.

10. Gosh, thanks Kimberly 🙂

11. I hope so too Eva 🙂

12. Ah man, thank you. That means so much. 🙂

13. Thanks Catherine 🙂

14. Hopefully spending it with the most intriguing, mesmerising, beautiful girl I have ever had the pleasure and challenge of meeting. And hopefully one day within those 50 years saying something like this straight in to her eyes. 🙂

15. Except maybe truth 😉

16. Xan says:

Before I say that this is as amazing as everyone else, may I ask why the first vows were broken in the first place?

17. Philip Bond says:

With adhering to these vows, the ritual of marriage is redundant. Sensitive and worthy

18. Lyn Rozier says:

Amazingly beautiful….I doubt I'll ever marry again for many reasons but these vows would have to be a part of any future relationship 🙂

19. edy says:

Purely beautiful, I’m speachless…thank you!

20. Megan Wilson says:

This is amazing. Thats everything that I am looking for in a relationship. Thank you for this

21. Maria says:

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever read.

22. Janet Hobbs Purser says:

Omg. This is very special if only everyone's vows could be this. It is everything you should have in a marriage. Amazing and thanks for sharing.

23. Karla says:

It's so great that I'm already mad at all the other women who read it.

24. Nicole says:

You failed to honor your original vows … who in their right mind would ever believe that these vows are sincere let alone honored?!

25. Claudia says:

This brought tears to my eyes. I was married before and I made the same mistake many married people made…underestimate how important communion and everyday closeness are. Just by having experienced the painful experience of separation I think one start appreciating that love is an everyday act – never for the sake of just commitment but for he sake of the relationship – a commitment without the connection is an empty vase. Thank you Andy for reminding me how beautiful vows can be when one understand the future challenges.

26. Adriana Sanchez says:

I am going through my own divorce, so your words fill my heart with tears. Of knowing I deserve all that you mention. Because in my relationship I gave everything and more so I was left with nothing else.

I don't have the words right now I only have tears finally… I wasn't able to cry for almost 2
    Years.

27. vanessa says:

Stunned. You nailed it and took my breath away, tears down my face.

I am so stealing this, and then altering it, if I ever decide to get married again.

28. Eileen Ricci says:

When i that special one comes into my life I will modify this slightly a womans touch.. I

will use it in my vows to the man I Love. Thank you so much.

29. natasha says:

Lovely gorgeousness

30. Jamie says:

I love as a vow to another, but I love this even more when I read it as a vow to myself.

31. Kate says:

Good Lord. That’s fantastic. Exactly.

32. Lorna strey says:

Beautiful just how I feel. I hope you don’t mind me using some of this as my vows to the best man I’ve ever know. The trauma he’s been through is atrocious. This means a lot.

33. Mae says:

I cannot help but get teary-eyed because its so beautiful and sincere. May there be more sincere guys like you out there with such a beautiful soul.

34. Kim says:

Most beautiful and noteworthy. The recipient of such vows is amazingly blessed!

35. rodelcasio says:

Beautiful! I think I am going to write a vow similar to this in italic calligraphy of you dont mind. =)

36. Arlene says:

You're assuming things in which you know nothing of the circumstances. You don't know how the previous marriage ended.

37. Jolene says:

Absolutely beautiful!

38. Michele says:

Hi!! I recently got divorced after having left a very abusive marriage. Recently I have been shown so many examples of what love is meant to look like. I can honestly say that although I experienced the absolute worst I have such hope that one day the best will come into my life. It is reading things such as what you have shared that gives hope. It inspires. Leaves one wanting more 🙂 I feel it is like a butterfly that has escape the cocoon after working tirelessly to break free. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us what is on your heart. I hope you have an awesome day!!

39. Mary says:

granted souls that intertwine to that beauty are magik, but if that kind of love exists I am bewildered, and might learn to dream again. Wow.

40. cristina says:

I promise to love you, and in loving you, to allow you to be yourself– to speak in your voice and to dream your dreams…

I shall honor your individuality and glorify your uniqueness as different from mine and love you just the same…

I shall meet you halfway when you touch me and kiss you to please you as well as to please me in the meeting of our lips, our hands, our bodies, our souls…

And when you smile, I shall glory in the light of it, and when you cry, I shall listen to you and be strong for you even as I weep in silence that you have to suffer so…

I will love you in your everyday changes and I promise to keep up as you grow in grace and wisdom…

I promise to touch you in places you allow me to and I will remember everyday– that the you I had fallen in love with will remain the you apart from me yet with me…

I promise to listen to what you say and be silent in the spaces between without assumptions.

I promise to learn you and from you and to share with you my thoughts and feelings inasmuch as you would let me be me.

I promise to love you and love me with you until the end of this life…and the others after that.

41. rudedog4 says:

Love this!

42. Jasmine says:

Made my heart long for the one person who I truly belong with……wherever he may be.

43. Rachel says:

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read

44. Vanessa says:

I do, forever and always. That would be my truthful and deeply affectionate response to these vows.
    It never fails for me to be so shy in expressing how deeply I feel about love. I'm almost embarrassed for anyone to know.

45. Lucy says:

Truly beautiful. I am in my second marriage and i doubt i am going to be loved like this.

46. Kristin says:

I’ve read this several times and it’s just so beautiful. If I ever marry again, or if I don’t, I’ll think of your words and what is most important.

Thank you for sharing this.