I Promise to Touch You.

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 1.0
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
86 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
1.5M

Rob/Flickr

If I ever marry again, I’d want my vows to be something like this.

I promise that I will always try to see you. That even when our bodies bend and our hands wrinkle, I will still see your true beauty.

I promise to listen, but I won’t be quiet. I want to hear your heart. I will always speak up because you matter more to me than the keeping of the peace.

I will be brave enough to be me as often as I can. For some crazy reason you fell in love with me and I want to keep it that way.

I promise to touch you. Every day.

I promise to always be there for you. I will have your back and always catch you.

I promise to support you where I can. I don’t want to solve your problems, but I do want to hold your hand while you do.

I promise to be your most diligent of students. I will go to the college of you and look forward to the graduation party.

I promise to never let you sleep unless you know that I love you. Whatever it takes, I will show you that I love you.

I promise to be honest. You will know me and have nothing to fear. For you will know my greatest fears.

I promise to take on all of you. Your fears, your dreams, your hopes and your loves. What made you so beautiful to me was the combination of all those things.

I promise to remember who you are. And to never make you anything else to me.

I promise to excite you. A rut is no place for two love royalties such as ourselves.

I promise to be in the moment. It’s all we have and it’s better with you in it.

I promise that once our time on earth is finished, even then I will still love you and if I can, will find you and hold you once more.

As a token of my love.

I give you this heart.

Until love do us part.

Now can I kiss the bride?

Get our Podcast:

Relephant:

11 Ways to Maintain a Healthy Marriage

5 Reasons I Got Married & Why We Should Stop Criticizing Marriage.

The Truth About Marriage, Monogamy & Long-Term Partnership.

~

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Author: Andy Charrington

Editor: Emily Bartran

Photo: Rob/Flickr

Bonus:

The one Buddhist Red Flag to watch out for & how you'll know if he or she is The One.

How to delight in each other.

Loneliness, Love, & Making Friends with Hot Boredom.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 1.0
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
86 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
1.5M

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

Kimberly Robyn Mar 3, 2019 3:28pm

Just as I am, this is beautiful, soul ytouching & inspiring! Thank you for sharing. ♥️

Kimberly Robyn Mar 3, 2019 3:26pm

Just as I am, this is beautiful, soul touching & inspiring! Thank you for sharing. ♥️

anonymous Aug 9, 2015 1:05pm

I’ve read this several times and it’s just so beautiful. If I ever marry again, or if I don’t, I’ll think of your words and what is most important.

Thank you for sharing this.

anonymous Aug 7, 2015 3:12pm

Truly beautiful. I am in my second marriage and i doubt i am going to be loved like this.

anonymous Aug 6, 2015 3:03am

I do, forever and always. That would be my truthful and deeply affectionate response to these vows.
It never fails for me to be so shy in expressing how deeply I feel about love. I'm almost embarrassed for anyone to know.

anonymous Jul 31, 2015 10:36pm

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read

anonymous Jun 3, 2015 7:45pm

Made my heart long for the one person who I truly belong with……wherever he may be.

anonymous May 28, 2015 8:03am

Love this!

anonymous Apr 23, 2015 12:25pm

I promise to love you, and in loving you, to allow you to be yourself– to speak in your voice and to dream your dreams…

I shall honor your individuality and glorify your uniqueness as different from mine and love you just the same…

I shall meet you halfway when you touch me and kiss you to please you as well as to please me in the meeting of our lips, our hands, our bodies, our souls…

And when you smile, I shall glory in the light of it, and when you cry, I shall listen to you and be strong for you even as I weep in silence that you have to suffer so…

I will love you in your everyday changes and I promise to keep up as you grow in grace and wisdom…

I promise to touch you in places you allow me to and I will remember everyday– that the you I had fallen in love with will remain the you apart from me yet with me…

I promise to listen to what you say and be silent in the spaces between without assumptions.

I promise to learn you and from you and to share with you my thoughts and feelings inasmuch as you would let me be me.

I promise to love you and love me with you until the end of this life…and the others after that.

anonymous Mar 30, 2015 2:39pm

granted souls that intertwine to that beauty are magik, but if that kind of love exists I am bewildered, and might learn to dream again. Wow.

anonymous Mar 27, 2015 7:11am

Hi!! I recently got divorced after having left a very abusive marriage. Recently I have been shown so many examples of what love is meant to look like. I can honestly say that although I experienced the absolute worst I have such hope that one day the best will come into my life. It is reading things such as what you have shared that gives hope. It inspires. Leaves one wanting more 🙂 I feel it is like a butterfly that has escape the cocoon after working tirelessly to break free. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us what is on your heart. I hope you have an awesome day!!

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 9:10pm

Absolutely beautiful!

anonymous Mar 5, 2015 7:02am

Beautiful! I think I am going to write a vow similar to this in italic calligraphy of you dont mind. =)

anonymous Feb 22, 2015 9:59am

Most beautiful and noteworthy. The recipient of such vows is amazingly blessed!

anonymous Feb 19, 2015 9:28pm

I cannot help but get teary-eyed because its so beautiful and sincere. May there be more sincere guys like you out there with such a beautiful soul.

anonymous Feb 19, 2015 7:58pm

Beautiful just how I feel. I hope you don’t mind me using some of this as my vows to the best man I’ve ever know. The trauma he’s been through is atrocious. This means a lot.

anonymous Feb 19, 2015 3:27pm

Good Lord. That’s fantastic. Exactly.

anonymous Feb 19, 2015 8:59am

I love as a vow to another, but I love this even more when I read it as a vow to myself.

anonymous Feb 11, 2015 4:47pm

Lovely gorgeousness

anonymous Feb 11, 2015 9:40am

When i that special one comes into my life I will modify this slightly a womans touch.. I

will use it in my vows to the man I Love. Thank you so much.

anonymous Feb 3, 2015 1:03am

Stunned. You nailed it and took my breath away, tears down my face.

I am so stealing this, and then altering it, if I ever decide to get married again.

anonymous Feb 2, 2015 10:27pm

I am going through my own divorce, so your words fill my heart with tears. Of knowing I deserve all that you mention. Because in my relationship I gave everything and more so I was left with nothing else.

I don't have the words right now I only have tears finally… I wasn't able to cry for almost 2
Years.

anonymous Jan 27, 2015 8:13pm

This brought tears to my eyes. I was married before and I made the same mistake many married people made…underestimate how important communion and everyday closeness are. Just by having experienced the painful experience of separation I think one start appreciating that love is an everyday act – never for the sake of just commitment but for he sake of the relationship – a commitment without the connection is an empty vase. Thank you Andy for reminding me how beautiful vows can be when one understand the future challenges.

anonymous Jan 26, 2015 11:22am

You failed to honor your original vows … who in their right mind would ever believe that these vows are sincere let alone honored?!

anonymous Mar 7, 2015 11:23am

You're assuming things in which you know nothing of the circumstances. You don't know how the previous marriage ended.

anonymous Jan 26, 2015 12:07am

It's so great that I'm already mad at all the other women who read it.

anonymous Jan 25, 2015 10:12pm

Omg. This is very special if only everyone's vows could be this. It is everything you should have in a marriage. Amazing and thanks for sharing.

anonymous Jan 25, 2015 6:31pm

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever read.

anonymous Jan 25, 2015 1:33pm

This is amazing. Thats everything that I am looking for in a relationship. Thank you for this

anonymous Jan 25, 2015 11:28am

Purely beautiful, I’m speachless…thank you!

anonymous Jan 25, 2015 5:47am

Amazingly beautiful….I doubt I'll ever marry again for many reasons but these vows would have to be a part of any future relationship 🙂

anonymous Jan 24, 2015 7:21pm

With adhering to these vows, the ritual of marriage is redundant. Sensitive and worthy

anonymous Jan 24, 2015 5:44pm

Before I say that this is as amazing as everyone else, may I ask why the first vows were broken in the first place?

anonymous Jan 24, 2015 12:22pm

Soulmate love…. When you love yourself like you are you are your own soulmate, which makes you ready for your "soulmate". Thank you for this.

anonymous Jan 24, 2015 11:02am

Wow!!! These should be EVERYONE’S vows. So beautiful, honest, and fulfilling of both hearts, becoming one, on their special day!! You are an amazing writer!! I am left speechless, also! ❤

anonymous Jan 24, 2015 9:09am

LoVE LoVE what more is there….

anonymous Jan 24, 2015 9:08am

This is truly amazingly awesometastic. LoVE LoVE what more is there!?

anonymous Jan 23, 2015 10:53pm

Now those are vows I could get behind. What are you doing for the next 50 years, Andy?

anonymous Jan 24, 2015 12:46pm

Hopefully spending it with the most intriguing, mesmerising, beautiful girl I have ever had the pleasure and challenge of meeting. And hopefully one day within those 50 years saying something like this straight in to her eyes. 🙂

anonymous Jan 23, 2015 9:49pm

Truly beautiful…

anonymous Jan 23, 2015 8:47pm

Stop it Andy, I just can’t bring myself to re-read this…it’s too dead on.

As a 30-something male 6 years out of a divorce, I often try and find the words to explain to partners what I’m looking to give and receive before I commit again…and you just said it, every little word of it.

Great post man, this alone is worth my membership.

anonymous Jan 24, 2015 12:44pm

Ah man, thank you. That means so much. 🙂

anonymous Jan 23, 2015 8:43pm

This brought tears to my eyes. Truly moving. I hope that one day a man will promise me these things.

anonymous Jan 23, 2015 6:14pm

This encompasses what love truely is. You have left me speechless!!!!!

Beautiful

anonymous Jan 24, 2015 12:43pm

Gosh, thanks Kimberly 🙂

Read The Best Articles of March
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Andy Charrington

Andy Charrington loves to write, works for himself, has three sons and lives in Birmingham UK.

You can read more of his writing on his Facebook page where he is spending a year writing and publishing something every day as part of his “Adventure”.

You can also support him on his Patreon page here.