For the Creative Souls who Hide Themselves.

Via Katie-Anne Laulumets
on May 4, 2015
get elephant's newsletter

Woman writing

Warning: adult language below!

This is for you, shy dreamer: stuffing sketchbooks under the bed and slamming journals shut when a floorboard creaks, lest anyone catch a glimpse of your talents.

This is for you, self-saboteur: preferring rejection to accolades, clinging to obscurity rather than risking success.

Listen, you fucking extraordinary soul: somewhere along the way, someone lied to you. Do you remember? Someone said don’t do this thing (which you were clearly born to do). Someone made you think you had to fail.

Was it bullies?

With barbed words and hard hands, did they teach you that you were stupid, weak, and hideous? Did they teach you that the worst thing in the world was to be noticed? Did they teach that magnificent soul of yours to hide?

If so, these were lies, my love; all lies, as preposterous as they were cruel. You know this, do you not? Of course you do! Just as there was a part of you which knew it back then, when the monsters first carved those scars onto your beautiful heart.

Still you ache. I know you do! But you,, my love, are that sacred thing called Survivor. Hero! Phoenix! Rise, now, upon your hobbled foot! Open your blistered mouth and speak truth! Whisper it, croak it, scream it fists-in-the-air:

Those bullies were full of shit.

That is a good start.

But perhaps you had instead (or also) deceivers who loved you.

Perhaps the ones who spun the lie cared for you, truly and powerfully. Damn it, child! Perhaps they loved you so much that the very thought of you falling and skinning your soul terrified them. These types would rather have died than seen you hurt.

Perhaps they looked at you, shining one, and recalled their own bitterest disappointments, the agonizing death of innocence, the horrible sight of dreams lying splintered upon a trash heap. And with all the love in their dear broken hearts, they swore they would save you.

Because you, beloved, should never know such things!

So they told you not to walk the path which called you; they told you it was not safe. They frightened you with tales of all the gravest dangers in the world. They suggested you keep your sacred gift as a hobby, but nothing more.

Dear love! They misled you!

But you, precious child, could be the restorer of hope. Even now, you hold great power to show what is possible. Rise. RISE. Every piece you publish, every work you display, every song you sing is a demonstration of the miracle. You must take those well-intended liars and show them what a little hope can do.

Do this, and you will make their day.

No matter how the lie was wrapped around you, darling, the time has come to cast it off.
Because despite all you have been told, the truth is that your voice is beautiful.

The truth is that your art is an awesome strength, designed to empower you; it is not a weakness.

The truth is that this gift of yours, this thing you hide with such ferocity, is precisely what you were born to do.

The truth, darling, is that you’ve got fire in your soul, and your light is leaking; you’d best just let it out.

The truth is that it matters.

The truth is that it’s needed.

The truth, dear one, is that you are loved.

Relephant Reads:

8 Ways to Make This Your Most Creative Year Yet.

Author: Katie-Anne Laulumets

Editor: Renée Picard

Photo: April Nicole via Flickr

About Katie-Anne Laulumets

Katie-Anne Laulumets has a background in law, politics, and a variety of hard knocks, but these days she prefers the company of trees. She can often be found wandering battlefields, wading through creeks, or lounging among ruins, armed with a pen, an open heart, and a blank page. Connect with Katie-Anne via Facebook, Google+ or Twitter.

Comments

11 Responses to “For the Creative Souls who Hide Themselves.”

1. odaciuk54 says:

Your piece offered me an intriguing glance of my reflection in the creative puddle of desires. Thank-you! Well-written.

2. suzannebrazil says:

Found you on the WWWB group introduction on FB. Your words inspire both as an artist and as a parent…hoping I don't do this to my kids (adults)! Thanks for a fiery piece that rewards courage. I'm white-knuckling my own creative birth over the last year or so. It's daunting so every little nourishing bit like this stokes the fire. Thank you!

3. Marcus Clark says:

This is one of the most powerful articles I have ever read!

The timing is perfect as I am the start of my creative journey – just starting to sell my photographs at art trails/fairs but I know in my heart of hearts that being creative is my calling and I am capable of so much more, if only I had the belief in myself….a belief that has grown several times since reading this article.

I’m going to print it out and re-read it as often as I can.

4. Marcus Clark says:

This is one of the most powerful articles I have ever read!
    I felt my creative soul growing as I read it.
    I'm going to print it out and re-read it as often as I can.

5. @okatieanne says:

What an amazing compliment…..Thank you so much for including my words in your journey. Wow. I wish you the best of luck!

6. Lisa says:

simply beautiful, caring and nurturing. I needed to read your powerful and honoring words today. Thank you for writing this and thank you for caring for those who feel their voice has needed to stay hidden. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

7. Marcus Clark says:

This is now definitely the most powerful article/poem I've ever read.
    I can't read this to myself without being deeply emotionally touched by it.

I read this out at a late night storytime (for the adults kids!) at Sacred Arts Camp last week (a wonderful week-long gathering in the UK where people camp in circles around a fire and there are various events/workshops over each day like dancing, singing, yoga, mindfulness, creativity, women's & men's groups and many others).
    We were invited to bring poems, songs and anything else we would like to share. I immediately thought of this article.

Being a quiet person, I'm not a natural 'performer' (though the camp helped me think again about that, but that's another story!) but so strong was my desire to share this poem, the nerves which I thought would be there didn't really appear even when stood up and realised that there were a lot more people there than I thought, stretching off into the darkness.

When reading it, I had to stop a couple of times and gather myself as my voice was starting to quiver and break with emotion. It seemed very well received though.

A few others went up after me and shared their songs and stories, two of them at least seemed as though they were just stepping out into their own light, perhaps for the first time.

Afterwards, three people, including the storyteller said how powerful it was for them. The storyteller said that me reading that piece had really changed the dynamic of the evening and gave permission for others to come up after me and share their songs and stories. Another person said that I was like a mother, "birthing" the creativity that followed. Both compliments deeply touched me but I noticed the normal doubtful voice inside me saying "Me? I did all that? naaaa, I'm sure those people would have got up anyway"…I'm still unsure as to which one to believe but I think the acceptance of what those people said is starting to gain strength, especially as I received more compliments over the days that follows (including the storyteller who repeated two more times what he had said that evening).

I read it again in my camping circle the following evening and felt even more of an emotional connection and it was equally well received by that audience.

8. Ev_Angel says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! <3

9. Ev_Angel says:

Criticism is a well-rooted habit and the sources of encouragement so rare and precious. Thank you, thank you, thank you. <3

10. Lori says:

You very well may have just saved my life. Blessings to you and all.