Over the past decade, I have learned a lot about myself, relationships, compromise, pain, forgiveness, purification, happiness, regret, heartbreak, love, compassion and self-worth…amongst other things.
After a sleepless night of tears and reflection, I needed something to kick start my morning, my Monday, my month. So, I wrote a list for myself, which is something that I do every other day, just in a totally different way.
Something to focus on when I get lost along the way. Something to remind me of what is important to me. Something to remind me of how far I have come, how this is the only moment that counts and how simple life can be. Something to comfort me when the days are lonely and the nights are long, cold and difficult.
Something to remind me of what is truly important to me and what I have learned from the lessons along the way.
So, here it is…the way that I vow to live my life, every moment, to the very best of my ability.
For myself and the now and future of my children. (The four beautiful babes who chose me as their momma—they are sponges and will take all of my experiences, triumphs, tools and obstacles into the future with them…and I am bound and determined to pave a simpler path…one filled with confidence, clarity and an arsenal of tools to help them create their best life).
The Most Important to-do list I have ever created for myself:
1. Clearly ask for what you want/need.
2. Accept that everyone is who they are…in any moment and don’t expect anything else.
3. You can’t change anyone; be the change, and control your own reaction.
4. Give the benefit of the doubt, always.
5. Stay away from conclusion. If unsure, clarify.
6. Let go of the past. It no longer serves you.
7. Always choose love and compassion.
8. Know your self-worth. Your self-love is always the most important. 9. Listen to your heart – as cliche as that sounds. Your intuition is invaluable. Learn to trust it…don’t let anything get in your way of your truth…especially fear.
10. Be clear with your intention, your dreams, your focus. The universe and everyone else can see straight through your bullshit. If you want it, be crystal clear.
11. Be grateful—you only have so many trips around the sun, and no matter which way you look at it, your life is beyond amazing.
These seem to be the things that I lose sight of—not always and never all together, but after compiling the list, I felt the need to share. Maybe this will kick start your day, or initiate a change that has been building within you. Maybe it will help mend a broken friendship, or will end an abusive relationship.
Maybe it will inspire. Maybe it will just remind you that life is a truly magnificent gift, and you have the power, courage, and strength to live the best life possible.
Author: Lina Lewis
Editor: Renée Picard
Image: Christian Gonzalez at Flickr