The Truth about Milk. {Warning: You may Never Drink Milk Again}

Via Alex Myles
on Jun 13, 2015
get elephant's newsletter

DubC_SacredBond (1)

Cow’s milk is not intended for humans.

Nature’s intentions were for baby calves to drink their mothers milk, however, this is something that very rarely happens in the dairy industry.

Not many people would drink human breast milk if they were offered it, so why do they think it’s acceptable to drink the milk from cows?

Cows typically have a lifespan of around 25 years. However, their life is tragically cut short after they are sold for meat once they have existed for four to five years purely to be a slave to the milk industry.

Dairy cows are forcibly artificially inseminated once a year using a constraining device, which is known as a “rape rack.” The semen is inserted through the cows rectum and vagina into her uterus, with no painkillers.

Cows are mothers. Dairy cows spend pretty much their entire short lives pregnant so that they lactate with the intention of feeding their babies. They carry their babies for nine months, the same length of time as humans, however, they will never have the opportunity to nurse their young.

In factory farms, within hours of the calves being born 97% of them are stolen from their mothers, so that profits are at a maximum. The other 3% are ripped away from their mothers within days.

A dairy cow will lose her babies between approximately four and seven times, which causes extreme distress and anxiety that takes an enormous emotional and mental toll on the mother.

A cow has the same primal instincts to protect, nourish and nurture that humans do. Just as any new parents bond with a baby, mother cows are the same. Just as a human baby cries as its mother leaves the room, a calve will cry out for its mother too.

Those who have witnessed the traumatic scenes and heard the cries coming from dairy farms when mothers and babies are torn apart describe the noise as a deafening mixture of bellowing and whining with a desperate and frantic physical attempt to remain together. These cries are known to have been heard from mothers for up to six weeks afterwards, and sometimes longer.

Mother cows have been previously known to break out of fields to search for and be reunited with their calves that have been taken to auction.

Sometimes the mother and baby are tortuously placed at different parts of the farm so that they can still see, sense and smell one another, but are too far apart to touch and bond.

veau441

The majority of calves are seen as surplus to the dairy industry. Across the world 21 million dairy calves are slaughtered for veal or cheap beef every year.

At only a day or two old, many are taken to feedlots to await their slaughter, while others are kept in dark and tiny crates almost completely immobilized so that their flesh remains tender. To ensure the calves flesh stays white they are fed a low iron liquid diet with barely any nutrition. This makes them ill and many suffer with anemia, diarrhea and pneumonia.

Due to the illnesses calves endure, they are given huge doses of antibiotics and other drugs just to keep them alive.

Alone, terrified and sick the calves are then killed at only a few months old so that their flesh can be sold as veal. Without the dairy industry, the veal industry would not exist. This horrendous suffering is simply a by-product of the desire for milk.

Some of the female calves will begin the same life cycle of slavery their mothers endure.

As soon as the baby calves are taken from their mothers, the cows are then hooked up to machinery to produce milk for human consumption. Cows are also given hormonal drugs so that they are capable of producing far more milk than they would do naturally.

Over 90 percent of U.S. cows are confined to a life indoors, with 60% of them being tethered at the neck and unable to carry out basic behaviours, which are essential for their well-being. Many cows become lame due to poor restriction, damp and acidic housing from urine and feces and an enlarged udder.

11356077_15849758917565594_n

Every investigation that has been carried out by Mercy For Animals at dairy factory farms has exposed widespread and horrifically sadistic and needless acts of cruelty towards animals.

Thanks to these investigations, many of them conducted at random, various workers, managers or owners have received criminal charges or convictions after being caught viciously beating, kicking or dragging animals.

Change is happening, but sadly, very slowly. Please be aware before purchasing meat and dairy products and, where possible, carry out research beforehand to ensure that this systematic abuse and these practices become a thing of the past.

Apart from the cruelty aspect, various scientific studies have shown that cow’s milk is not even a healthy product for the human body. An assortment of detrimental health effects have been directly linked to the consumption of milk. I will cover more about this in my next article.

There are many alternative options available such as soy, rice or almond. Please try one. It is so simple to replace dairy products with cruelty free ones. The supermarkets are often stocked with various alternatives.

11304294_1584975895086999_6-2

People often think the alternative option is organic. However organic is not cruelty-free either. Whilst the cruelty is minimised, the bodies of the cows are often exhausted and emotionally traumatised due to the separation anxiety caused when they have their babies ripped away from them. They then still have to face the chilling doors of the slaughterhouse.

Often people are wary of dairy-free alternatives as they have gotten used to the tastes of their regular brands. However, alternatives available for purchase are deliciously flavoured and almost everyone I’ve ever spoken with who has chosen to make the change much prefers them. Besides, the feeling gained purchasing cruelty-free outweighs whatever small taste differences there may be.

For more information, check out this video that explains the true cost of dairy: (Warning: The video below has very disturbing scenes.)

Sources:

Got Misery?

10 Facts the Dairy Industry Doesn’t Want you to Know.

12 Frightening Facts about Milk

Weaning Stress

Relephant:

Do You Know What’s in Your Milk?

~

Author: Alex Myles

Editor: Travis May

Photo: Image 1—Chelsea Dub, Image 2—Stephanie Valentin, Image 3 & 4—Christian Adam (all images used with permission)

About Alex Myles

Alex Myles is a qualified yoga and Tibetan meditation teacher, Reiki Master, spiritual coach and also the author of An Empath, a newly published book that explains various aspects of existing as a highly sensitive person. The book focuses on managing emotions, energy and relationships, particularly the toxic ones that many empaths are drawn into. Her greatest loves are books, poetry, writing and philosophy. She is a curious, inquisitive, deep thinking, intensely feeling, otherworldly intuitive being who lives for signs, synchronicities and serendipities. Inspired and influenced by Carl Jung, Nikola Tesla, Anaïs Nin and Paulo Coelho, she has a deep yearning to discover many of the answers that seem to have been hidden or forgotten in today’s world. To purchase Alex’s paperback book or ebook please click here or click here to connect with her on Facebook, or click here to join Alex’s Facebook group for empaths and highly sensitive people to connect.

Comments

20 Responses to “The Truth about Milk. {Warning: You may Never Drink Milk Again}”

1. Karl W. says:

Almond milk has very little "almond milk" in it. A story on that was recently published on NaturalNews. I am horrified by this article, and now I must make a change that I don't really know how to make. I don't have a problem not drinking milk, but I have never gone long without cheese, ice cream, and sour cream. I don't know how I am going to get along without dairy but I am determined to try. I truly feel sorry for cows.

2. Reni says:

My doctor continues to tell me that dairy is exacerbating my auto immune symptoms and I need to give it up. There is nothing in this article that I did not know but it forced the information to the front of my thoughts. Thank you for the proper motivation I needed to give up dairy. It is hard when I am the only one to suffer but so much easier when it is a moral stance.

3. Sunflower says:

I've lived on a dairy farm much of my life, and much of this article is not true, the rest is highly exaggerated.

4. Leigh says:

Hi Karl, I commend you on your willingness to try going dairy-free. There are loads of alternatives available and you can even make your own vegan cheese, yoghurts and ice-cream. There's loads of information available on the internet and great support groups you can join like http://www.veganuary.com

5. Leigh says:

Hi Reni, good to hear there are doctors out there that understand how bad dairy products are for humans. I personally noticed a HUGE difference when I moved from vegetarianism to veganism and gave up dairy products. I used to have really bad asthma and yearly bouts of bronchitis. All cleared up, and even though I carry my inhaler around with me, I don´t need it anymore!

6. Leigh says:

Hi Sunflower, please be more specific – what exactly is untrue? What is highly exaggerated?

7. Leigh says:

A great article Alex, thank you.

8. Hevanss says:

I would say, a lot of this is extreme, and it isn't everywhere. I'm sure there are many pleasant homestyle farms that treat their animals with respect, but commercial dairy farms don't do the same thing. Big industry blunders. There's too much all at once, and not enough people or compassion in the industry to make the change until the public demand it- and follow through with that demand.

I'm giving up lattes. Done. I've been mostly off milk for a little over a year, and this tipped the scales for me. I will support local dairy farms, but not the commercial milk industry.

9. elephantjournal says:

There may be quite a few pleasant homestyle farms, but if you are buying milk at any grocery store you're not getting from mom & pop and their beloved Bessie. I'm not sure what the number is for dairy, but about 99% of meat in the US comes from factory farms. This article details the norm, not the extreme.

10. Brie44 says:

"On so-called humane dairy farms, the calves are taken away within an hour, as they believe this to be the least distressing solution." Where are you getting this information? I have grown up on a dairy farm and known plenty more and never once come across this. This entire article is questionable and has very few facts to back up your accusations. There certainly are farms that mistreat their animals but rather than cutting meat out of your diet, try researching and visiting your local farms. You might be surprised how many farmers actually care about their livestock!

11. Mark says:

I use almost no milk or dairy. My grandfather was a dairy farmer. He had, at most, 115 cows and they roamed the biggest part of 240 acres. I never saw anything that made me think his version of farming was cruel. They roamed green grass and were milked twice a day. He never used steroids or anything else. Of course that's been a few decades ago. A farm like that would never survive these days. His cows lived a great life. They rarely calved but, he did keep a bull around for those times when he wanted a calf or two. The calves stayed on the farm either for life or when they were well past weaning a neighbor might buy one as a milking cow on his farm. In my opinion everything changed when the government forced farmers to take loans back in the mid 1970s. The government's plan had un-intended results. They wanted more productive farms and buddy they got it. Now we get milk that isn't safe from animals who over produce in environments that are miserable. The days of cows roaming the fields and producing "healthy milk" are over. Of course, adults should never consume dairy. It has growth hormones that are harmful any weaned mammal IMO.

12. John says:

I use no dairy products or eggs and do not eat meat. I have seen videos of a mother cow losing its newborn and it is horrific. if you are a human being and feel anything, you would be affected. It saddens me that we use animals for profit and gain in anyway.

To Brie44, you have your experience, but I have seen too many videos and heard stories of animals being abused and tortured to want to have any part of it at all. Call me ignorant, but when I can survive in this world without inflicting my needs on animals, why should I?

13. Vigora says:

Thanks for sharing Alex!
    Many people just don't know what is going on inside the farms and what a cruel treatment these poor animals are exposed to, as a thank you for tasty and healthy milk.

14. Paul J says:

……………….Right up until the point that they herd them into overcrowded trucks and ship them off to their brutal unnecessary death at a slaughterhouse. Oh yeah, livestock farmers surely do love their animals!

15. Mike says:

From a dairy farmer who seems well-intentioned:

"Calves are moved to an individual house, called a hutch, within a few hours after birth."

16. Dawn says:

If they don't make money off these pigs, chickens, cows, who is going to feed and take care of them? Take the farming business out of the US and what do you have left? Who is going to feed America? Do you think that babies that are not breast fed by their mother a disgrace too. Should all people who breed dogs, not sell the puppies? What is your experience with farming other then these media stories? Maybe you all could buy some land and grow your own food and not depend on farmers for anything.

17. rushie says:

Cows would rather be free and cream makes coffee awesome. I don't care. My coffee wins.

18. Deshna says:

you can make your own almond milk at home, very easily!

19. Gopal says:

There are still some traces left in India, exalple Pathmeda in the state of Rajasthan. More than 300000 cows are there and not one of them goes to slaughter house. All are loved as mothers. Weather giving milk or not all are valued and cared for. One should visit this place to know real culter of love from India

20. katy says:

"semen inserted into the rectum" ??? There's not going to be many calves born that way