How to get Elephant on your Phone.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 1.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
2 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
34.5k

elephant app phone smartphone elephantjournal

How to get the Elephant “App” on your phone etc—Free.

We finally have an App. But it’s not an app, and it’s not in the app store. It’s simpler: you click the up arrow in the square image (see image above), then click “add to home screen.”

On Chrome/Android click the Menu button (the three dots on the upper right of the browser window) and then click Add to Home screen:

Screenshot_2015-10-31-20-26-37

~

Over the last two months, Facebook changes have essentially crushed Elephant. Here’s an alternative.

We couldn’t find anyone to build an app and we can’t afford much. We’re indie media.

But we did this. Help us out by getting it, free, and using it: it’ll give us some way to connect with you outside of Facebook, which we desperately need.

WE FINALLY HAVE AN APP, okay it’s not an app but it’s basically an app!

It’s not an app, per se, but now you can add elephant to your homescreen—which will take you directly to our mobile site!

How to add the Elephant app to your iPhone:

1.Go to elephantjournal.com

2. Click that little blue square with an up arrow. (It’s at the very bottom center of the screen).

3. Swipe the list of “adds” to the right and click on “add to home screen!”

It’s that easy.

(Clearly, I’m super excited!)” ~ via Lindsey & Corti

Yours in the Vision of an Enlightened Society,
Waylon Lewis

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 1.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
2 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
34.5k

Elephant:Now
is a new feature on Elephant Journal—enabling you to instantly share your mindful ideas, photos, art, YouTube videos/Instagram links & writings with our 5 million readers. Try it Now.

Write Now

Waylon Lewis

Waylon Lewis, founder of Elephant Journal & host of Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis, is a 1st generation American Buddhist “Dharma Brat." Voted #1 in U.S. on twitter for #green two years running, Changemaker & Eco Ambassador by Treehugger, Green Hero by Discovery’s Planet Green, Best (!) Shameless Self-Promoter at Westword's Web Awards, Prominent Buddhist by Shambhala Sun, & 100 Most Influential People in Health & Fitness 2011 by "Greatist", Waylon is a mediocre climber, lazy yogi, 365-day bicycle commuter & best friend to Redford (his rescue hound). His aim: to bring the good news re: "the mindful life" beyond the choir & to all those who didn't know they gave a care. elephantjournal.com | His first book, Things I would like to do with You, touches on modern relationships from a Buddhist point of view.

Comments

21 Responses to “How to get Elephant on your Phone.”

1. Claire says:

Is this just for iPhone? I've made a couple of attempts but no luck with my Android.

• elephantjournal says:

Hi Claire,

It should work on Android phones as well. If you open elephantjournal.com in your Chrome browser, click the three dots adjacent to the URL and click add to the home screen. Let us know if you have any issues.

Cheers,

Caitlin

2. Pat says:

Excited about the “almost-app” – now I have to remember to check my Android phone!! Facebook isn’t only messing with elephant. A number of good causes in which I’m involved are having the same problem. It’s all about who has money to buy up the space.

3. Sevakjot says:

All I see is an add for audible

• elephantjournal says:

Hi Sevakjot,

Do you have an iPhone? If you open up Safari and head to elephantjournal.com, at the very bottom of the screen (part of the Safari browser on your phone) is a box with an "up arrow." If you click on that and scroll to the right, you'll see the option to "Add to Home Screen."

Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Kindly,

Caitlin

4. Marilu says:

I added to iPad! Yeah!!

5. Cristina says:

Got it, never will leave Elephant Journal….. keep going.

Cris

6. Former Subscriber says:

It's really a bookmark, not an app but I doubt that's the reason for the drop in readers and support. Some of it may be due to Facebook but you might do well to consider your own editorial decisions about content. That's why I let my subscription lapse.

• elephantjournal says:

The bookmark/app has nothing to do with any drop in readership—we just have "created" it, or publicized it, and as you say it's not an app. But it serves the same function, basically, as an app we'd create if we had the dough: simply allowing folks to get it on their desktop and read with easy access.

basically, we didn’t drop 45% overnight because of a sudden content switch. In fact, we’re more and more popular, reaching beyond the choir is part of our mission, and it’s a ton of work. As for the content issue, there are blogs I don’t like and you don’t like and we don’t like, but we’re fine to include views and stories we don’t agree with. We don’t need to belong to a club we always agree with everyone on.

But if you’re reading elephant via FB, you have another issue, in terms of the only content you’re seeing—and that, sadly, is mostly out of our control: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/09/why-elepha

As for your subscription lapsing, I’m sorry to hear that, but that’s up to you, and I appreciate your giving us a go. We’re genuinely inspired to share “the mindful life” and work hard every day. We hope you enjoy your free reads.

• Jason says:

Ask former subscriber to give you some examples of the content they don’t like. It might be useful. Whenever, I get a kind critique, I am more receptive to their opinion and when I engage them further, I find that I agree with them. It doesn’t necessarily make me change, but knowing a different perspective opens my mind .

7. Chris N says:

Since you use WordPress to publish your site, you may want to checkout https://wordpress.org/plugins/worona. It's a WordPress plugin that will create mobile apps of your WordPress site – and no programming required. For Apple, you have to pay $99 to publish the app to the AppStore, however.

8. Re: For iphone6 readers

1. Open Safari.

2. See the blue square with arrow at the bottom of screen.

3. go to elephantjournal.com

4. click blue square.

5. scroll to right to click on Add to Home Screen.

I’m sending these notes because when I first read your instructions about “at the bottom of the screen”, I mistakenly thought that you meant at the “bottom of the ElephantJournal page on the home screen”- so I was putting elephantjournal in Google and taking it from there. WRONG.

As you have added to notes, you need to be in a BROWSER to see the blue box with arrow at the bottom of your phone screen.

9. Jason says:

Hi Caitlyn,

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with FaceBook. I added your bookmark to my home screen. I get the newsletter and love the free reads. Tomorrow, I get paid so I am going to reward myself with a subscription. I use your website as a tool, to rebuild my life. Wait, not rebuild, but to recreate my life, the old life needs to be leveled to the ground to use as a base for a new life. Thanks for your help.

Jason

10. Jennifer says:

THANK YOU!!! Just added it to my phone!! Love you guys!

11. Gilgi says:

Got it! Did it – here is my elephant on iPhone 6.

Great, well done and thank you. Never understood why half the page was missing on FB.

I open Elephant when I go to bed. My treat before I sleep.

Tonight saw many jets flying above my garden northbound to Syria. The tail lights in red/blue/green marked the triangular shape and illuminated the long nose of them. My (snow leopard) all white one blue one green eyed male cat was also staring upwards with flattered ears; I counted 13 jets. They didn’t return my way. Ah. Ah guess will see it in the news tomorrow. Hope no one suffered!!

From somewhere in northern Israel – good nite Elephant!

12. lizakautaniuk says:

Yay! Got it for my iPhone! Super convenient! Wish you all the best, elephant!

13. Thanks for developing this app.

14. Dillon says:

At the moment ink wins for me over screen keyboards.

15. aryansao says:

Hello,

Nice post. Thanks for sharing such type of valuable article. Keep sharing this type of informative post.
    responsive website