Scaring Cats is No Laughing Matter. {Funny Videos}

Views 10
Shares 0.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 4.3
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
53.8k

scared cat

Maybe you’ve spotted the latest cat video trend?

It’s scaring the living bejaysus out of them by placing a courgette behind them while they’re eating. When they turn around and see the unexpected veggie (but, maybe a snake in their eyes), they tend to jump sky-high in fright.

It’s funny, for sure, to watch cats almost jump out of their skin.

And, as it happens, watching cat videos—both funny and sweet—have been endorsed by science as being good for our health. Yep, they reduce feelings of sadness and anxiety and boost positive emotions.

However, that doesn’t mean we have free rein to deliberately upset our animals in order to create amusing videos in our own interests. Animal psychologists are tut-tutting over this latest trend. And, as an animal lover and cat servant, I’m inclined to agree.

Please don’t jump on the videoing-your-scaredy-cat-for-the-laugh bandwagon.

It may be amusing to watch, but cats can be anxious creatures and they already provide us with enough spontaneous laughter to earn their keep. It’s not fair to deliberately add to their woes.

In fact, according to animal psychologists, it’s detrimental to their well-being. Animal behaviorist Jill Goldman says, “If you cause stress to an animal that’s probably not a good thing. If you do it for laughs it makes me question your humanity.”

The cats react so bizarrely because the cucumber appears from behind them so unexpectedly. They go to eat and when they’re done and turn around, there’s this unfamiliar creature lying in wait behind them. (At least, from their perspective.) They jump high to escape the potential predator and escape to a safe distance to observe whether there’s a real threat.

And if repeated several times, for the amusement of humans, it can have the effect of undermining the cat’s sense of safety in their own home. Is that fun?

And, if nothing else will convince you, consider that whatever upsets your cat’s peace of mind can wind up costing you money in vet and cleaning bills. I know that when my cat is upset, I have a lot of extra washing and cleaning to do as she piddles anywhere and everywhere but the litter tray. And duvets are expensive to have laundered.

So, I definitely won’t be scaring Riley with a cucumber or any other veggies surreptitiously placed in her eating area.

But I do enjoy watching the odd cat video. And to thank you for taking the time to read my rant, here are some cat videos for your own amusement and pleasure.

Biggest cat fails:

Views 10
Shares 0.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 4.3
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
53.8k

Read The Best Articles of December
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Hilda Carroll

Hilda Carroll is a certified meditation teacher who is passionate about making the benefits of the practice accessible to all. With that in mind, she has created a 28 day beginer’s ecourse which is specifically designed for busy people with not much spare time.

An eternal student, Hilda is currently focussing on interior design from the perspective of creating sacred spaces. If you want to turn your home into an everyday sanctuary, why not join her free 30 day decluttering challenge.

Follow her business or writing pages on Facebook or connect with her on Instagram.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Dec 15, 2015 1:11am

I loved cats all my life and growing up our cats were always so well behaved, socialized, loving, etc. Then .. I moved into the city. I won't stay over at my gfriends because of her cat, it's his job to do everything in his power to keep you awake all night, then marches around your head at 6 AM and jumps on your chest because he wants his can of wet food, you know .. right now. We just didn't let the animals run our life. If the dog wants to lick my hand in the morning to wake me to take her out I am so cool with that, what a gentle and loving way of communicating a need, but jeez some people have no idea how to socialize or train their animals, and the video's, although funny show the darker side of people. I have another friend who has a barn cat, bit him, gave him an infection, and had to go on intravenous antibiotics for a month. I have never seen such destructive animals, I would have euthanized the animal personally, this same cat bit me and I probably have bartonella from this, it's just sad. This lady who lives next to me, she won't take her dog more than ten feed away from the door of our condo to go pee, can't even take a walk around the block, poor animals. The best time I ever had was dog sitting Welsh Corgi's, what a riot, such troublemakers, they would fight over who got to lay at my feet, but they loved being taken out for long walks. Love your animals but give them some structure, they need it.

anonymous Dec 10, 2015 7:32am

I agree with the article about not pranking your cat for humans amusement.

anonymous Dec 1, 2015 10:58am

Dear Hilda,
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to us all, as well as being big enough to admit that you made a mistake. A lot of people would not have bothered to address our concerns and confusion over your choice, let alone admit to an error on their part…so, I for one thank you.
Kindest.
Niki

anonymous Nov 27, 2015 1:01pm

Dear all,
I more than take all your points on board and did in fact request a change in the video this morning (which has since happened). It took a lot of searching to find videos that didn’t involve owners deliberately scaring their cats for laughs. I saw the bath video as different from those as it’s more recording their cats disliking their baths. However, you are absolutely right – the cats are in distress and it was a poor choice on my part. I regret it.

Regards,
Hilda.

anonymous Nov 27, 2015 9:16am

Dear Hilda,

I felt my heart leap with joy at reading your objections about this cruel trend of scaring your cat with a cucumber. I too felt it a really unfair thing to do and have, for a very long time, been disturbed by some of the things people inflict on their cats in the name of entertainment. With this in mind, I just cannot get my head around the fact that you then go to post several videos of cats in similar situations of stress – for, and I quote…our ‘own amusement and pleasure’.

Now, if I’m missing something here, or simply being an ‘oversensitive animal lover’, I’d be more than open to learning of your reasoning behind this decision, however, to be honest, I’m not sure what you could come up with to convince me that your choice of follow up vids are just harmless entertainment as opposed to something that ‘deliberately upset our animals in order to create amusing videos in our own interests’. To me, it kinda feels akin to writing an article stating you feel it cruel to throw your pet from a bridge, just to have a laugh at their freak out, (so please don’t do this) but, hey, isn’t it really funny to watch them totally spin out when they’re thrown into a lake!

Anyway, as I’ve said, I’m always open to hearing things from all sides….

Kindest.

Niki

anonymous Nov 27, 2015 7:48am

It’s down right crewl torchering. Cats even worse laughing histaricaly.Then you wonder why your cat is neurotic.

anonymous Nov 27, 2015 5:52am

That compilation of cats being held down for baths or laughed at while they try to escape a bath or shower was so heart-breaking. Those people weren’t trying to calm their cars and they were putting their through unnecessary stress. How HORRIBLE of people to do it that way and then appalling that people sit and laught at it. What a crap article. I don’t like the cucumber videos either, but the water ones were so much worse. 🙁

anonymous Nov 27, 2015 5:41am

I agree with the article about not pranking your cat for humans amusement. I get no gratification from such treatment to animals but I strongly disagree and object to the posting of your video of the cats that do not like baths. This is not funny and quite obviously very distressing to the cat. It’s down right disgusting that they are filming there “beloved” pet in such distress and I have found it gut wrenching to watch.

You Elephant Journal are contradicting yourself here and I do not agree with these videos either!!!

anonymous Nov 27, 2015 5:07am

Wait, what? She rails against the cucumber thing, and then posts an alternative “funny” video of cats being doused in water?? Sorry, but Ms Carrol is not reading what she just wrote. It is common knowledge that cats should never be “bathed” unless there is some extreme circumstance, like they got oil on themselves from a car or something, that would be dangerous for them to clean off by themselves. Most cats hate and fear water, and should NEVER be dunked in a bath, and even less should they be soaped. This clueless cat owner should be ashamed of herself.

anonymous Nov 26, 2015 9:25pm

You post about the cucumber being bad then you post ‘funny’ cat videos where some people are actively being mean to their cat and laughing about it. WTF??!!

anonymous Nov 26, 2015 9:22pm

I read your post and thought, 'Finally, now there's someone who speaks honestly about treating cats humanely.' Everything you wrote rang true to me. Then you post the horrific compilation of cats that hate water. Did it ever occur to you they're exhibiting fear? Why on earth would you think a cat–in complete panic mode–being held down and sprayed with water, a stress relieving video to watch for our enjoyment??? I'm disgusted.

anonymous Nov 26, 2015 7:58pm

That’s the whole point of a prank. It would be cruel to actually put a snake or a dangerous thing near the cat but the whole point is the fact that it’s an overreaction. Humans are also anxious creatures so that means we should ban all pranks on humans! No one is allowed to ever be upset!

anonymous Nov 26, 2015 4:46pm

I completely agree with what you’ve written in the article, however, I am struggling to see how the video you have posted of a terrified cat being sprayed with water is any different?

anonymous Nov 26, 2015 2:44pm

*nods* and how many beloved kitties have actually hurt themselves trying desperately to get away from the scary thing behind them? It says a lot about a person. My cats are family; we play, but we try to keep it safe.