There are many wonderful teachers available to us through books, video and seminars.
For years I’ve been reading and watching Pema Chodron, Eckhart Tolle, Ram Dass, Byron Katie, Wayne Dyer, Abraham Hicks and a number of others.
I’ve incorporated their wisdom into my life in eclectic ways. And I keep learning these things over and over again:
- I can notice my thoughts and feelings without getting caught up in them.
- Paying attention to my senses–like deliberately noticing my fingers and toes, feeling the breeze touch my face, listening to an insect chirping–helps me tap into the unlimited now. And it relaxes tension, fear and other negative emotions.
- I can’t save the world, but small things matter, like buying a stranger a sandwich or watching a friend’s dog for a day.
- No experience is wasted. I grow from it all.
- Laughter cannot be overrated.
- The void is fertile.
- Appreciation works magic.
- In a marriage–and in life–letting go is 95% of the work.
- I don’t have to partake in booze/drugs/rich foods to have fun. I can party with the best of them without these substances.
- Saying no to one thing (such as a drink) is saying yes to something else (feeling great the next day).
- I can choose to focus on lack or abundance.
- Saying “I don’t know” softens me–and opens up new doors.
- Suffering can burn away the hard shell.
- And yet, most suffering is unnecessary. It’s a story we tell. Once we let go of the story, we can feel relief.
- If someone wants to go, let them go.
- When someone pushes my buttons, it’s time to look at myself.
- Things usually aren’t personal. You never know where someone is really coming from.
- The future doesn’t exist, but it’s fun to play in the field of possibilities.
- The body has a wisdom of its own.
- We are so much more than we (usually) know. Infinite intelligence flows through us; we are connected to everything.
- Dying is perfectly safe. As Ram Dass says, it’s like taking off a too-tight shoe.
Author: Kate Evans
Editor: Erin Lawson
Images: Flickr/Benjamine Balazs
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 80,198 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 11,084 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 14,986 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,693 shares We can’t Break Up with a Soulmate. 3,175 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 13,020 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,284 shares This Venus Retrograde could bring you a Fated Love. 1,142 share This is what Happened when I Started taking French Baths. 1,696 share