6.0

There is one good thing about a President Trump.

Clinton Trump Debate

Three Things we must do right now in view of a Trump Presidency:

1. Face the facts (see below). Don’t ignore or whitewash.
  2. Don’t push away the pain. Allow yourself to feel the feels.
  3. Find your purpose through service that is joy. This is our silver lining.

Mindful bonus from Waylon & elephant community, today:

Tonight we lost four years of fighting climate change. And we’re already out of time. Trump has promised to build a wall that would cost billions, that experts and local ranchers alike say isn’t possible and won’t work, anyways. He’s promised to undo the agreement with Iran to cease their nuclear program. He’s promised to tear apart Obamacare, and with it end coverage for 20 million folks. He’ll seek revenge against everyone who’s ever slighted him. In an era of fake news vs. real facts, he’s promised to loosen laws protecting journalists from lawsuits by powerful monied interests like his donor Peter Thiel, an expert in that arena. Trump and his supporters are no fan of equal rights. Enjoy that < 5% unemployment, ’cause now it’s back to trickle-down economics. His penchant for wars on twitter will now extend to his role as commander-in-chief—he could make Bush’s Iraq war, with death and economic devastation and terrorism in its wake, look like nothing.

I’m a writer, and I like paragraph breaks, but I’m just getting going through his basic to-do list.

Tonight, we voted to bend the arc of history backward. If we were a little nation, it’d be our loss. But this is the world’s loss. Fascists and dictators everywhere are, tonight, heartened. We could have had Hillary. We just had Michelle as first lady. Instead we’ll have Donald, and Melania—who modeled nude, illegally in the US, and plagiarized her speech from our beloved do-goodering fun first lady. Ironic doesn’t cover it.

The only silver lining: in the wake of any great tragedy, it is impossible, as it would have been, to take a liberal platform and competent leadership for granted. It is now on you, and me, to do more than we wanted to do.

So cry. Dream nightmarish dreams. Meditate. Breathe deep. Then—get up and get out there and work and play to create a kind world. Let’s Make America Better and Better, Again.

The only silver lining: millions of decent Americans will wake up tomorrow inspired to do more good than we would have been, otherwise. For we are now living in the shadow of a bad man.

Thanks, Obama. I’ll miss you. You were the President of a lifetime.

~
Mindful bonus:

~
Mindful bonus: now, more than ever:

We might need this right about now:

Or, this:

Now, more than ever—help locally.

From earlier today:

Get involved:

Timeless talk:

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

Julia Cynthia Kent Nov 13, 2016 5:25pm

Fantastic. On the beach in pdc. Mexico. Very inspiring but am not going back to the USA. Not with Trump at the helm

Jim Pyacek Nov 11, 2016 3:36pm

Sleazy is as sleazy does. This is a first lady? No class. Poor roll model. Illegal immigrant. I think was his point, but won't presume to speak for Waylon.

Nicole Rowan Nov 10, 2016 9:34pm

You disagree with what exactly? Since the results of the election have increased my urge to understand how anyone could support the "journey" that we are now being dragged along, I am asking you. No pressure, but if you can articulate what part you found innaccurate - i would be deeply grateful.

Nicole Rowan Nov 10, 2016 9:31pm

Thank you for the first part of your article. It was so very called for and necessary. SInce this election happened, I have felt very out of touch with humanity. How could "we" have made this choice. My entire world view crashing down around me. Thanks for reminding me that I am not alone. It means more to me than you can imagine (and I know you have a great imagination).

Courtney Leivers Nov 10, 2016 4:50pm

You speak the truth.

Courtney Leivers Nov 10, 2016 4:47pm

Hmm...what do you subscribe to this community for?

Read The Best Articles of March
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Waylon Lewis

Waylon Lewis, founder of Elephant Journal & host of Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis, is a 1st generation American Buddhist “Dharma Brat.” Voted #1 in U.S. on twitter for #green two years running, Changemaker & Eco Ambassador by Treehugger, Green Hero by Discovery’s Planet Green, Best (!) Shameless Self-Promoter at Westword’s Web Awards, Prominent Buddhist by Shambhala Sun, & 100 Most Influential People in Health & Fitness 2011 by “Greatist”, Waylon is a mediocre climber, lazy yogi, 365-day bicycle commuter & best friend to Redford (his rescue hound). His aim: to bring the good news re: “the mindful life” beyond the choir & to all those who didn’t know they gave a care. elephantjournal.com | His first book, Things I would like to do with You, touches on modern relationships from a Buddhist point of view. His dream of 9 years, the Elephant “Ecosystem” will find a way to pay 1,000s of writers a month, helping reverse the tide of low-quality, unpaid writing & reading for free online.