5.2
January 26, 2018

I have been Called many Names—but my Name is Woman. {Poem}

“I was born in the middle of a storm
You won’t find me under the sun
My feet are chaos
I belong to the wild things” ~ Evy Michaels

~

I Am. Woman.

See me

Rising like Venus from an ocean of dreams.

The whispers of the ancients have woken my soul.

I am woman—birther of galaxies, mother to stars.

I am woman. The magic that knits souls into flesh within my womb.

I am woman, shedding blood that heals; the blood of the Divine Feminine Being.

I rise incandescent, in my power yet humble, divinely She.

Hear me…

“F*ck equality!” I shout at the sky. I am tired of fighting a patriarchal war.

I embody my fullness, Priestess, Mystic. I am the Sacred Song.

My strength is etched within the marrow of my bones.

I have been called by many names—Saint. Sinner. Witch. Whore.

Comfortable in my skin, comfortable with my color, comfortable with my tears.

Comfortable with the words that fail to describe my Wholeness.

I am shadows and light, beauty and terror.

Unashamed, uninhibited, sensual, seductive, intuitive, emotional, raw.

I am Woman. Goddess. Gaia. The incarnation of Pacha Mama.

I am Fire and Water and Soil.

F*ck equality…because I know who I am.

You can’t gift me something that is already mine.

Perseverance and wisdom course through my veins.

I am Sister to every woman ever born. Embracing. Encouraging. A container for Love.

See my feet on the ground

My drum in my arms

Wilderness in my howl

The moon in my blood

Sorcery in my cauldron

Wisdom in my heart

I will not be silenced, I will not be burned.

I am not too much.

I will not be told what is womanly or not.

Shakti. Magdalene. Maiden. Mother. Crone.

Temptress. Creatress. The sound of the Wind.

I am Woman.

I am All.

~

Author: Monika Carless
Image: Karen Cantu Q/Unsplash
Editor: Lieselle Davidson
Copy Editor: Nicole Cameron

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

Monika Carless Apr 4, 2018 7:56pm

Thank you Jessica!

Jessica McGowan Jan 29, 2018 6:44pm

This is so beautifully written and I am in love with the contact of light and dark I feel present within the words. I feel the divine feminine power rising up, shaking free from centuries of being told to shut up. Yes! They can't give us something that is already ours :)

Michael Mitchell Jan 29, 2018 3:55pm

If mankind and womenkind knew their potential and lived even a small percentage they would drop to their knees in awe. Women have so much power and been oppressed by men who are afraid of the feminine in women and the sacred feminine in themselves. One day with Gods help the earth will be filled with beings who fully understand this. Paradise.

Monika Carless Jan 29, 2018 6:21am

Thank you Anna!

Anna Kelly Jan 27, 2018 5:24pm

Hell YES! Beautiful Breathtaking And so bloody true ❤️

Wendy Corkum-Boudreau Jan 26, 2018 11:28am

Beautiful words my dear friend!

Read Elephant’s Best Articles of the Week here.
Readers voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares:
Click here to see which Writers & Issues Won.

Monika Carless

Wild Woman, Witch, Intuitive Coach, Monika Carless lives for the moments where words meet spirit. A daughter of change, she lives on the magical shores of Vancouver Island, B.C. guiding kindred spirits on their sacred journey through life, sexuality and relationships. She is the creator of the “Healing Mother Wound through Divine Feminine Wisdom” Workshop leading women worldwide to their sovereignty and empowerment.
This Scorpio loves nothing more than to wander the Underworld and cast spells under a full moon. Monika is also the author of The Dark Pool Trilogy, a delicious tale of erotica, pagan mysticism, and polyamory available through major online book outlets.

She can be reached for coaching and mentor-ship via her websiteInstagram, or Facebook.