5.1
April 6, 2018

How to defeat Stress & Busyness.

How to avoid Life & Get away from Suffering Forever. ~ Waylon Lewis

We can not defeat the problem by avoiding it—or conquering it. We can only defeat a problem by making friends with it.

Take social media. Or news. Or busyness.

Many of us—including myself—want to get offline and stay offline and avoid rushing around and avoid social media and avoid politics.

But—the world needs us. And unless we’re planning to go off-grid in Vermont (sounds okay to me), we’re not going to avoid the messiness of life. Even living alone in a cabin in the country, we’ll have to deal with the local delivery folks or the roof needing work or lyme disease or whathaveyou.

Life finds a way…to be a pain in the neck.

So we really have no choice but to have a sense of gentleness toward ourselves, and humor about ourselves, and empathy for others. We have no choice but to engage in this life and world—that’s the bad news, but it’s also the good news.

Because when we engage fully, as many folks do here in Boulder, Colorado—community happens. And it can be delightful, and healthy, and rich in a way that money can’t buy. Simple.

So find a way to connect to your community. Take a class. Read mindful, independent news and journalism. Support your favorite farmers and craftspeople. Spend less time on Facebook. Don’t get Alexa or Echo. Don’t shop on Amazon—shop local. I’ve left Google search for Startup Page & Duck Duck Go. I’ve left Chrome (Google) for Firefox (independent, respects privacy).

And, if 2.5 of our 5 million Facebook fans ever joined this newsletter, I’d leave Facebook and never look back. Try me.

Read the best article on Elephant, ever.

Bonus round:

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

Pam Gifford Apr 9, 2018 6:30pm

I would comment more but having to log-in to FB just to do so irks me. Hence, I comment rarely.

John Shearer Apr 7, 2018 7:56pm

Spot on Waylon! The world needs us! The world needs an army of mindfulness mentors. That way, doctors can refer the people who are struggling rather than medicate them. mindfullyMAD.org

Diana Eisiminger Apr 7, 2018 6:13pm

This article is great - I love your perspective. Thanks for the reminders and recommendations!

Linda Lewis Apr 7, 2018 5:28pm

Great interview w/ reggie Ray and Waylon--zig zagged through a great deal of dharma "territory" relevant to today.

Tracy Wiegman Apr 7, 2018 5:05pm

I love this! Thanks!

Camille Fashano-Daniels Apr 7, 2018 4:15pm

Hi This is inspiration to me, thank you. As soon as I start my new job and get "caught up" on finances I will definatly support indie journalism.

Read Elephant’s Best Articles of the Week here.
Readers voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares:
Click here to see which Writers & Issues Won.

Waylon Lewis

Waylon Lewis, founder of Elephant Journal & host of Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis, is a 1st generation American Buddhist “Dharma Brat.” Voted #1 in U.S. on twitter for #green two years running, Changemaker & Eco Ambassador by Treehugger, Green Hero by Discovery’s Planet Green, Best (!) Shameless Self-Promoter at Westword’s Web Awards, Prominent Buddhist by Shambhala Sun, & 100 Most Influential People in Health & Fitness 2011 by “Greatist”, Waylon is a mediocre climber, lazy yogi, 365-day bicycle commuter & best friend to Redford (his rescue hound). His aim: to bring the good news re: “the mindful life” beyond the choir & to all those who didn’t know they gave a care. elephantjournal.com | His first book, Things I would like to do with You, touches on modern relationships from a Buddhist point of view. His dream of 9 years, the Elephant “Ecosystem” will find a way to pay 1,000s of writers a month, helping reverse the tide of low-quality, unpaid writing & reading for free online.