View this post on Instagram
I am always looking for simple flavors that create an overwhelming feeling in your mouth.
These days, we don’t just overthink life in general, we also overthink in every domain in life—even when it comes to food.
I first discovered this amazing vegan dish in a Lebanese kitchen. Without many ingredients, I was curious and wanted to try it for myself. While preparing this dish, I first fell in love with the smell of it. And when eating it—oh!—In my mind, I was doing a happy dance.
And that’s what I want to share with you through this recipe: happiness.
This beautiful dish is called Maghmour. It’s a combination of two simple ingredients, eggplant and chickpeas. It is loaded with tomatoes, onions, and garlic. I also like to throw chili peppers in for an extra element of heat.
2 large eggplants
300 grams chickpeas
4 big tomatoes
4 small onions
6 cloves of garlic
1 red pepper
1 tbs tomato paste
2 tbs cayenne powder
2 tbs dried mint
6 tbs sunflower oil
1 cup water
salt and black pepper to taste
- Peel the eggplants and cut them into thick cubes.
- Chop the onions and the red pepper.
- Meanwhile, drop the tomatoes into hot water to peel and cut them afterward.
- Put a heavy-bottomed large pot on high heat and throw in the oil.
- Add onions and red pepper with a pinch of salt and sauté until translucent—about 15 minutes.
- Throw in the garlic and cook until tender and mushy.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and let is simmer again for five minutes on low heat.
- Drop the eggplant cubes into the sauce together with the tomato paste, cayenne powder, dried mint, and the chickpeas.
- Add 1 cup of water and black pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes on medium-high heat.
Follow my Instagram @fatgirlcooking for more inspiration!