It’s Time to Go Vegan AF.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10.0
Hearts 1.0
Comments 5.4
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 4.5
4 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
15.3k

What up, dawg, it’s been a minute, but I’m back to spit truth.
Listen up if you want to reclaim your vigor and youth.

We’ve been mindful, and grateful, and even went green.
Now it’s time to bring vegan AF to the scene.

If you shun meat already, sit back and relax.
If you don’t, buckle up for some hard-hitting facts.

Put down the beef jerky, Carol, it’s gonna be fine.
Your whiskey is vegan, and so is your wine.

This poem’s meant to bring awareness, not intended to shame.
I’m just a girl who gives f*cks, cause I know we need change.

The government backs sales of eggs, dairy, and meat.
Each year millions are spent to control what we eat.

Clever marketing slogans, it’s all one big lie.
Milk does a body good? Oh hell naw. Boy, bye.

Beef, it’s what’s for dinner—how about no?
We’re all being duped, time to question this, yo!

If we’re paying attention, we all should be pissed.
Factory farms kill our planet—it’s on top of the list.

They’re more harmful than refineries or that big diesel truck.
Thinking we need meat for each meal is just basic as f*ck.

We’re chopping down rainforests to raise cattle and crops.
If you think that’s sustainable, home-skillet, it’s not.

The abuse in these factories is horrendous at best.
And it’s time to take action, not sit back and rest.

Their living conditions are filthy, they all live in fear.
They’re abused and neglected, despite what you hear.

Most never see sunlight, it should be a damn crime.
If we treated our dogs this way, we’d be doing hard time.

Let that sink in, take all the time that you need.
We are disconnected from our food source, corrupted by greed.

Those farms you envision with green grass to roam?
It’s a big freakin’ lie, most call cages their home.

But then what do you eat? I’ve got you, homeslice.
You won’t be subsiding on rice cakes and ice.

Plant-based protein’s a thing, it’s more than legit.
Lentils, quinoa, and chickpeas—these foods are the sh*t!

Hemp seeds, beans, spinach, edamame, and nuts.
They all contain protein, I can hear all the “buts.”

“But tofu is nasty. I hate the damn taste.”
Then stick to your hotdog, but that sh*t’s made from paste.

“But I’m a manly man, and I love to lift weights.”
Mr. Gorilla is vegan, and trust me, he’s great.

“But what about cheese? That’s one I can’t live without.”
Simmer down, bro-diggity, here’s what that’s all about.

When they pasteurized milk, guess what they found?
Our digestive tracts are not meant to break that mess down.

Dairy creates mucus in our bodies, isn’t that neat?
Only one species needs cow’s milk, and that’s baby cows, G.

Beyond the food aspect, check the products you use.
Your makeup, your haircare, and even your shoes.

Research animal testing, yep, it’s still going on.
It’s sketchy as hell, and it needs to be gone.

We can take small, mindful action, be aware of what’s on our plate.
Yes, our ancestors ate meat, but not a 40-ounce steak.

We can vote with our forks, make our dollars our voice.
F*ck bacon and nuggets and all of that noise.

Take small steps each day and you’ll see what I mean.
When you start diggin’ deeper, it can’t be unfelt or unseen.

Check out “Forks over Knives,” “Earthlings,” “Cowspiracy,” too.
They will open your eyes to what you thought you knew.

For your heart, your libido, your waistline, and skin.
If you want to feel stellar, yo, it’s time to dive in.

For the animals, the planet, and health of your gut.
There’s no better time to go vegan as f*ck.

~

Relephant:

Tim Brod – King of the Bees.
~

~

Author: Rachel Dehler
Image: @elephantjournal
Editor: Emily Bartran
Copy Editor: Nicole Cameron

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10.0
Hearts 1.0
Comments 5.4
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 4.5
4 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
15.3k

Read The Best Articles of December
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Rachel Dehler

Born and raised in Billings, Montana, Rachel Dehler is a dance instructor, yoga teacher, writer, and mother of two feisty daughters. An AADP Board Certified Holistic Nutrition Coach with a double major in Elementary Education and Special Education, she’s a seeker of all things that expand her creative and spiritual side. Always learning, sometimes teaching, she writes with the muse of inspiring vulnerability, awareness and wholeness in others. You can find and connect with her on Facebook.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

Rachel Dehler Feb 9, 2018 4:20pm

Travis! I am your super fan. Thanks for being mine.

Travis May Feb 9, 2018 4:03am

You are the best. <3

Rachel Dehler Feb 8, 2018 4:16pm

Linda Lewis, I couldn't agree more. Some days I feel helpless because there is so much to be done. And frustarted because we can't force people to care. Thank you for reminding me that there are so many people who care and we simply need to keep connecting and uniting.

Rachel Dehler Feb 8, 2018 4:13pm

Linda Lewis, that's why I write. We never know the seeds we plant in others with our words. The seeds you have planted helped this once terrified writer grow tremendously. Much love to you.

Dalles Hayes Feb 7, 2018 9:43pm

Hi Rachel Dehler, I came across a series of videos called Stewardship with Vision, this one really caught my attention - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvYW1dlzVjg

Linda Lewis Feb 7, 2018 7:13pm

Rachel Dehler I think we have to start local and statewide (province-wide in Canada). The US federal government is hopeless right now. In Canada, however, the BC coalition NDP+Green party gov't is going against the Trudeau Liberal gov't's decision to increase Alberta's dirty oil export through provincial pipelines to Asia that could wreck disaster for BC's ruggedly beautiful coastline and all the fish and mammals in those waters. It's amazing what local-state-provincial people power can do!

Linda Lewis Feb 7, 2018 7:00pm

Rachel Dehler Now you're inspiring others! Inspiration is positively contageous! xoxo

Rachel Dehler Feb 7, 2018 4:38pm

Thanks Krista! And thanks for commenting as well. Tip-toe your way there. I honor you for your desire and for viewing this as a gentle reminder and not as being pushy. :) You are inspring and I thank you again!

Rachel Dehler Feb 7, 2018 4:36pm

Ahhh, Linda! Seeing a comment from you warmed my heart. You inspire me greatly and were hands down my favorite part of the group meetings in Elephant Academy. It's been a joy to be able to take issues I'm passionate about, add some humor, and hopefully reach outside the choir. Thank you again. <3

Rachel Dehler Feb 7, 2018 4:34pm

Hi Dalles! Yes, we sure can. Thanks for reading and acknowleding a fun and mindful poem even if you don't agree 100%. If we could only figure out to do this with politics. Haha. Also, I'd be interested to learn more about the conservation efforts you speak of.

Rachel Dehler Feb 7, 2018 4:33pm

Thanks for the comment Chris. When I back to school for holistic nutrition I experimented with several different diets and vegan was when I felt my best and also felt like I was aligned with my own views regarding animals and the planet. I do respect the concept of bio-individuality and understand it's not necessarily for everyone. With that being said, we can hopefully all agree that there are some takeaways for everyone and factory farming, animal testing, and the limiting beliefs surrounding a vegan diet need to go. Once again, thanks for chiming in. And being an Elephant reader!

Krista Burke Feb 7, 2018 3:42pm

love it. very well written. I am not a vegan, but i have wanted to be for a long time. A few more baby steps to go! Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Linda Lewis Feb 7, 2018 3:39pm

A rap speaking truth! And the planet thanks you!

Dalles Hayes Feb 7, 2018 3:26am

It was a great little ditty and we agree on one thing, the factory farms need to go. Some of the greatest conservation efforts around the globe are being driven by livestock farmers, not vegetable farmers.

Chris Rioux Feb 6, 2018 10:26pm

I'm just going to leave this here.. https://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=why+I%27m+not+vegan&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Shirri Naz Feb 5, 2018 6:43pm

Start generating very high financial gain over $15k to $18k monthly on-line from home. I even have received $20K last month by operating on-line from home. will be} terribly simple and straightforward job to try and do and even a toddler UN agency can login facebook can also try this job and makes more money on-line. everyone should do this job currently by simply open this link and follow directions to urge started........... =====>>>>> https://www.facebook.com/Beth-T-Olsen-150255415692757%2fapp_337680106275807/ :::::::