The Hidden Side of the High Vibe Tribe & 3 Ways to Avoid It.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 2.8
Shares 10
Hearts 10
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 7.8
47 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
2.2k

The high vibe tribes are on the rise right now.

In spiritual circles and social media groups, there’s talk of “raising your vibe,” short for vibration, which is the invisible energy that comes from a person, place, or thing.

In these circles, keeping your vibe high is considered a sure ticket to a better life. It’ll supposedly have you moving toward an ascended way of being, where you rise above the struggle and the pain of the world, headed to the land of good karma.

I think it may be time to break the wave on this high vibe stuff. Without a few adjustments, we’re bound to crash into the shore.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m all about living well, helping others, and connecting with the light. In my 20s, I managed a metaphysical store that served people who were exploring spirituality and healing. As a healer and mentor, now with two decades dedicated to helping others, I’ve learned a thing or two about spiritual trends.

I tried to ride the high vibe highway for awhile, but realized I’d need to ditch the idea of ascending past everyone else if I wanted to make a difference in the world. What I learned is that spiritual practice leads us to a healthier place, but not when it involves trying to escape or ignore perceived “lower” vibrations.

In my early years, I took many classes on healing, energy, and meditation. Some teachers I encountered were down-to-earth, while others seemed to be detached from earth. I didn’t know the difference between the two back then. I remember having a real hard time with something that happened in my life, and I went to one of the high vibe teachers to get a healing session.

When I got there, I was visibly upset.

Instead of offering compassion or validating my feelings, this teacher belittled my emotional response and told me I should know better than to put myself in a low vibration where I would experience such strong emotional reactions. I felt hurt, confused, and disappointed. I was a good student and this was the first time I asked a teacher for help and was getting criticized for my emotions.

Needless to say, I never went back to her. Since then, I’ve observed many teachers and people in the healing field using the high vibe approach like she did to separate themselves from their own pain and the pain of others. Their rationale is that if you put yourself in the correct mental state, you won’t need to experience any lower vibrations and you won’t need to feel anything but joy.

What I found is keeping our vibe high isn’t doing what we think it is. It’s not connecting us to our joy—it’s creating a habit of avoidance. This leads to a spiritual superiority complex, where ascending the lower realms to bypass human pain and suffering becomes priority. When we do this, we’re leaving part of our human family out of the picture—and that’s dangerous.

Emotions are normal and natural and should be recognized as part of a healing process, not an indicator that someone is in a lower vibration than others. In fact, anyone who tries to convince someone that emotions are bad could cause potential harm.

Here are three simple things to avoid the dark side of the high vibe tribe:

1. Reconsider the idea of higher and lower when it comes to personal growth. Try viewing other people as if they’re traveling a labyrinth, one that moves in and out, with everyone positioned in a different spot as they travel. No one is higher or lower, they’re simply going in and around versus up and down.

3. Reframe our language to be inclusive. We need our language to be inclusive of all people as part of one human tribe, whether or not they meet our personal criteria for evolution or fall into a category that’s unfamiliar to us.

3. Focus on our own personal work. Be willing to look into our own shadows, to meet with parts of ourselves we don’t like, the places in us that scare us. And begin to accept them.

And for the love of all things sacred, let’s discontinue thinking that we’re better than everyone else because we walk a high vibe path. We’re here on earth to be in our hearts, to help one another move past what separates us.

Let’s make the best possible choices, learn from our mistakes, and lead with compassion. And remember: if we’re all one, we don’t need to try to fly higher than everyone else.

We just need to fly.

author: Brighid Murphy

Image: Ramille Soares/Unsplash

Editor: Naomi Boshari

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 2.8
Shares 10
Hearts 10
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 7.8
47 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
2.2k

Read The Best Articles of November
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Brighid Murphy

Brighid Murphy is a modern shamanic practitioner, women’s
empowerment teacher, healer and sacred mentor for the next
generation of awakening leaders. As the founder of Spiritworks Healing
Arts, her passion in in facilitating deep transformational experiences that align her students with their inner fire so they can be of higher service to the world. You can connect with her on her website or Facebook.

Awaken Your Medicine FB Group: [https://www.facebook.com/groups/awakenyourmedicine]

Website: [https://www.spiritworkshealingarts.com]

Facebook Page: [https://www.facebook.com/SpiritworksHealingArts]

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

Emily Jean Dec 8, 2018 10:43am

The high vibe thing is also incredibly problematic who people who suffer from mental health issues.

I’ve a friend who has been a devout yogi, meditator, and volunteer for most of her life…but also suffers from chronic pain and depression.

A lot of her ‘spiritual community’ were not exactly helpful, unfortunately.

I’ve even seen community housing here looking for roommates ‘high vibration people only’.

We’re in a part of the country that is known for its long rainy winters….and high rates of seasonal depression.

cultivatewellness22 Dec 3, 2018 3:34pm

Well done my friend. I am excited to see this topic finally getting some attention. Can’t think of a better person to bring it to the light. ?

Brighid Murphy Dec 3, 2018 6:59pm

It’s time. I think soon we’re going to see more spiritual leaders and teachers stepping up to take responsibility on this one. Thank you for your post!

bbrak Dec 2, 2018 4:49pm

Beautifully put. A great reminder we are all in this life together.

Brighid Murphy Dec 2, 2018 5:09pm

Yes! No matter how “evolved” we think we are. Anyone whose so evolved, well then they wouldn’t be here anymore, right? Thanks for reading!

terryberry426 Dec 2, 2018 4:48pm

I agree that it’s foolish to try to avoid “lower” emotions. We have them for a reason. They tell us things. When I’m sad or anxious, I like to tap (EFT) to process the feeling and move it out of my energy system, which is quite a different thing from denying, suppressing, or ignoring it. You have to be able to acknowledge a “lower” emotion before you can move on to one that feels better. I’m sorry about your experience with the high-vibe bully! Thanks for writing such a thoughtful piece.

Brighid Murphy Dec 2, 2018 5:13pm

Terry, I really like EFT. The practice of it has shown me we can bring ourselves out of acute and often debilitating emotional states, and back down to manageable ones. And through that, we learn a lot about ourselves. Why would we want to deny ourselves of that? Thank you for posting!

sylvia_reed2 Dec 2, 2018 3:31pm

This is brilliant, Brighid. And I completely agree; we are here as humans to experience being human.

Brighid Murphy Dec 2, 2018 5:11pm

And that’s why other people can connect with us as teachers, because we act like normal human beings and don’t pretend to be above everyone else. Thanks for commenting, Sylvia <3

yoginikala Dec 2, 2018 2:34pm

Hi Brighid, very interesting, pithy article. Funny I just a few days ago introduced someone to a person I thought they would become friends with. They had much in common. Sort of what you are saying- the older friend feels that the newer one (who has had a lot of negative things happen around her,) is maybe gonna attract “negative vibes.”
It hurts because this new friend is very sweet and has made huge changes in her life to not be around those who can be harmful. And she is now wanting friends. But here I”l have to tell her that friend A is a bit scared of interacting with her.
It’s tricky and sad as both did have fun spending time, and I think could be a positive in each others lives. Yet I understand friend B’s hesitation.
I mean can someone almost attract negative energy? Or is it that they are so open/lacking boundaries and are such a bright Light, that some “lower” energies cling on to them. I can’t share what has happened to A as it’s quite personal but lots of bad things to her, and around her. Which is why both my friend and I are worried.

Brighid Murphy Dec 2, 2018 5:17pm

Hi Kala, thank you for your post. I have so much to say about this one! I wish I had the space here to fully comment. I did a full segment on this, in my Facebook group. If you’d like to find it, you can go here and I’ll tag you in that segment: https://www.facebook.com/groups/awakenyourmedicine/

ivinseleanor Dec 1, 2018 6:49pm

Accepting others as they are, and accepting ourselves as we are with no judgements gives us a clearer vision, plus the power to heal and move forward.

Brighid Murphy Dec 1, 2018 7:10pm

Agreed! In the high vibe movement, though, there can be a lot of judgement and there’s sometimes even a bit of a bully thing that happens. I’ve been seeing it for years.

t-shayne Dec 1, 2018 5:32pm

It’s all about balance, we can’t have one without the other.

Brighid Murphy Dec 1, 2018 5:47pm

Yes! Anyone who’s not able to acknowledge feelings is not honoring the whole picture of who we are. And there’s nothing spiritual about that!

mullen.laurie Dec 1, 2018 5:28pm

To love our own shadow sides to ride this rollercoaster called life with everyone. Up and downs but the carts are not on even ground some are up when other are down and at the same time up excels down as down climbs up. But in the end we are all on the same platform

xtinemccaull Dec 1, 2018 5:12pm

If I feel badly, overwhelmed or judgy, I don’t avoid looking at it or feeling it personally, but I often don’t tell the world- why spread that to other people? This sometimes results in feeling alone at the worst times. Self editing for low vibe virus. What do you think?

Brighid Murphy Dec 1, 2018 5:50pm

I hear you! Although I think a little bit of telling… sharing our true, human self, helps to get us to the other side of those feelings. Ya know?

leahturtle2 Dec 1, 2018 5:08pm

Helpful article! Adds a perspective we all need to hear! Thanks xoxoxo love and light!

Brighid Murphy Dec 1, 2018 5:51pm

Leah, this is topic that keeps coming up, up, up and we need to talk more about it. Thank you for reading with us!