A creamy, hearty soup to warm us as the cold weather approaches:
3-4 C of fresh broccoli florets, broken up
1 small sweet onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, shaved
2 fresh cloves of garlic, chopped
2 C of vegetable stock (I make mine from scratch but premade will work just fine)
2 C of heavy cream
1 tbsp of unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
2 C of sharp cheddar cheese
1. Over medium to low heat, melt butter and cook onion until it is translucent, roughly 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. About 30 seconds.
2. Place all the vegetables in a crockpot, pour in the vegetable stock, and add salt, pepper, and spices. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
3. Mash or puree the vegetable mix. I prefer more texture in my vegetables, so I use a potato masher.
4. Add in the heavy cream and stir thoroughly.
5. Gradually add the cheese to allow it to cook down. Let the soup cook about 15 minutes longer to incorporate the different flavors.
Serve with extra cheese, crackers, and my favorite: a bread bowl!
Author’s note: Land O’ Lakes is my preferred brand for butter, cream, and cheese. Store brand does not tend to blend well for reasons unknown to me.