View this post on Instagram
When we’ve set the bar here, and it feels like we’re all the way down there.
When there isn’t enough time in the day. When we fall back into our old coping mechanisms. When we feel like we have to keep pushing and our tank is empty.
Here are 10 quotes from Brené Brown that remind us it’s okay to fall apart—to feel our feelings:
1. “Understanding the difference between healthy striving and perfectionism is critical to laying down the shield and picking up your life. Research shows that perfectionism hampers success. In fact, it’s often the path to depression, anxiety, addiction, and life paralysis.”
2. “Perfectionism is a self-destructive and addictive belief system that fuels this primary thought: if I look perfect, and do everything perfectly, I can avoid or minimize the painful feelings of shame, judgment, and blame.”
3. “I want to be in the arena. I want to be brave with my life. And when we make the choice to dare greatly, we sign up to get our asses kicked. We can choose courage or we can choose comfort, but we can’t have both. Not at the same time.”
4. “Worthiness doesn’t have prerequisites.”
5. “Sometimes the bravest and most important thing you can do is just show up.”
6. “Here’s what is truly at the heart of wholeheartedness: worthy now, not if, not when, we’re worthy of love and belonging now. Right this minute. As is.”
7. “When I let go of trying to be everything to everyone, I had much more time, attention, love, and connection for the important people in my life.”
8. “We cannot ignore our pain and feel compassion for it at the same time.”
9. “We live in a culture of never enough: never good enough, skinny enough, popular enough, never enough Twitter followers […] And there’s only one way out of scarcity and that is enoughness. At some point, we just need to say ‘enough’: I am enough. What I’m doing is enough.”
10. “Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.”
Read 14 comments and reply