Interested in developing my own eco-textile business, I stumbled upon this article on TreeHugger outlining the important criteria of a sustainable fabric. So what makes eco-textiles sustainable? TreeHugger tells how.
1. Is it recyclable?
2. Is it made of recyclable materials?
3. Is it easily biodegradable?
4. Is it produced using green manufacturing processes without harmful chemical byproducts?
5. Does it follow McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry (MBDC)’s Cradle to Cradle principals?
6. Does the finished product off-gas harmful chemicals having a negative effect on indoor air quality?
7. Does the manufacturer have a company-wide sustainability policy?
New to Colorado, eco-textile innovator CoCoNa, has emphasized the importance of the eco-revolution by using discarded coconut shells to develop a new fabric weave.
hot on elephant
Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. Join: Elephant’s Fall 2016 Academy. How Sleeping with the Lights on (Literally) Changes our World. When you’re Stuck, Remember to ask yourself this Question. To the Man who Ruined me. Welcome to September’s Eclipse Season—Anything is Possible.