Update: Unparalleled collection of photos at Boston.com. Video at bottom. Toll approaches 50,000 according to NY Times (Huff Post was throwing around 100K yesterday!).
Over at Under Solen we thought it would be a good idea to compile ways that people can reach out and help Haiti earthquake victims. Even if you can’t travel to Haiti, or don’t have lots of money to donate to relief efforts, there’s a lot that can be done simply by spreading the word. Here’s our original post with some added ways you can help out.
An earthquake registering 7.0 on the Richter scale hit Haiti yesterday. Centered just outside of the populated capital, Port-au-Prince, the quake’s effects have been devastating. Within less than 24 hours the outpouring of international support has been impressive. So how can you take part? Here’s just a small collection of what’s out there.
1. Huffington Post has an ongoing list of relief efforts and how you can get involved that it is going to continue updating. Check it out here.
2. Matador is trying to use the power of its network of passionate travels to make a difference. They’re trying to get Jet Blue to sponsor a flight of volunteers to provide on the ground support. They need help with exposure, logistics and simply spreading the word. Take a couple of minutes to help out and re-tweet this message:
@JetBlue: If @MatadorNetwork could fill a plane with volunteers, would you fly them to Santo Domingo to help #quake vics in #Haiti?
3. CNN has compiled a list of organizations that will be providing support to the estimated 3 million people that have been affected by the earthquake.
4. Many people are engaging the Twitter community to raise awareness, as well as funds. Search “Haiti” and see what the latest updates are.
5. Musician Wyclef is asking people to raise money for Yele Haiti by texting Yele to 510 510 and donate $5. You can pass the message along via Twitter:
RT @wyclef: Haiti is in need of immediate AID please text Yele to 510 510 and donate $5 toward earthquake relief.
6. President Obama has pledged his support, and you can follow the Administration’s recommendations on how you can help via the Whitehouse.gov blog. Families of Americans living in Haiti are encouraged to contact the State Department at 888-407-4747
7. Help the Red Cross out by donating on the website or texting “HAITI” to 90999 to donate $10. Help out my re-tweeting this message
RT @redcross You can text “HAITI” to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts in #haiti.
These are only a few of the ways that you can help… know of more? Leave them in the comments below.
[Photo: Huffington Post]
hot on elephant
A Letter to my Children: You do not come from a Broken Home. These People are Rare Gems—Keep Them, Fight for Them, don’t Give Up on Them. Mom, can I Call her Mom, Too? Waylon shares 10 transformingly beautiful Quotes about Love. My Marriage had to End—for my Life to Begin. The Day I Stopped Running. Why your Yoga Goals are (Probably) Irrelevant, if not Downright Dangerous. Dear Woman in the White Car at Margaritas Mexican Grill in West Memphis, Arkansas on July 15th, 2012. Overcoming the Storm by Becoming the Storm. A Toast to PTSD: The Solution Starts with One Question.