Atomic Love (Which Love Explosion are You?)

Via on Feb 10, 2010

Love Explosion #3

Love is nebulous. Love is a vapor, a puff of smoke, a fiery explosion. And like an explosion, every love begins with a spark.

Maybe it’s an atomic explosion or maybe just a single firecracker. Maybe it’s a slow burning ember, or a dark cloud of smoke. Love is such an indescribable experience, unique to each lover, that sometimes words are hard to find.

So instead, I painted love.*

Atomic Love.  Not evil love or bad love, just intense love. Let’s admit it. Love is super powerful. Life-changing. Some love can burn on and on for an eternity. That is beautiful. And some love just burns. But that too, is beautiful.

Because without love, without that BIG BANG, what are we doing here?

HERE”S WHERE YOU COME IN… Let’s talk about Love, Baby.

Look through my twelve “Love Explosions” and tell me which one relates to you…and why? It’s like a Rorschach Test for relationships. I’m trying to encourage more people to talk openly about love, so let’s start sharing! It could be a past love, a friendship love, a head-over-heels love or an unrequited love. Talk about it’s beginning, middle, end(?) or how it makes you feel. Talk about what it taught you, or why he/she was an asshole in the end. Talk about how funny or pure or brilliant it was.  Thank you!!!

[I did this experiment live at an art opening here in San Francisco and asked people to vote in person. If no one was around, people would freely approach the work and vote, even write their story on a slip of paper, but as soon as a crowd filled in, NO ONE wanted to talk about Love! Somehow, we are embarrassed to talk about Love. It's so personal! It's so vulnerable. But it is also SO REAL. So let's try to create a dialogue here!]

*All paintings are watercolor on paper with a sprinkle of magic. 2009

Rachel Znerold is an artist and independent fashion designer living the good life in San Francisco, CA. www.rachelzart.com

Love Explosion #1
Love Explosion #10
Love Explosion #11
Love Explosion #11
Love Explosion #12
Love Explosion #12

About Rachel Znerold

Growing up in the Colorado countryside, Rachel Znerold knew early on that she was different…she saw dazzling beauty in decomposing logs and expressed her individuality with wild drawings on her sneakers. Now, as a prolific painter, eco-fashion designer, performance artist and writer, Rachel makes a life out of making art. With a degree in Fine Art and Advertising from The University of Colorado in Boulder, Rachel began to pursue her art career full time. Aiming to share her awe of the world and the art of the everyday, she has taught painting, fashion design, and performance at a variety of schools, museums, and non-profits. Rachel has been commissioned to paint murals in Colorado, New Zealand and Mexico, and eventually landed in San Francisco, becoming a part of the Mission District’s vibrant art scene. Rachel believes art is instrumental in building strong community and a culture of social activism. www.rachelzart.com

10 Responses to “Atomic Love (Which Love Explosion are You?)”

1. For Example…

#11: This painting immediately reminded me of a past relationship…I think the explosion kind of looks like a brain, and with this lover, I was intellectualizing the relationship. I had gotten stuck in a place where logically the relationship made sense, but there just wasn't any passion left to feed the fire. In the end, I decided life was too short to have an OK Love when I really knew I deserved a FABULOUS love. It is easy to settle into what is comfortable rather than push ourselves out of our box to seek something truly exceptional.

2. Breanne Joy says:

so I think I am like #10. The big explosion is a relationship, and the little explosions represent that I lose a little piece of myself or my heart, with every relationship. Give it back! My guy deserves to be loved by all of me :)

3. MissCory says:

#3 looks like my current relationship– a very blissful and passionate beginning represented by the yellow and pink. as time moved on, we became more entwined, more comfortable and started to fight. the blue mass is the loving, torturous side to our relationship that you can only get when you love someone so much that they have become a part of your inner workings. I'd be interested to see what happens beyond this deep explosion.

4. I think I'm number 10, which seems rather spacious and bold and simple. Generally I'm not in terribly serious relationships, though they're pleasant and all, no huge fireworks. I'm in this interim period where I've had a few serious, fireworky relationships, and before I get serious for reals, where all I want to do is get to know people, have some fun company, and don't want to go too deep—because then folks get hurt, or at least it takes a long time to extricate oneself.

5. Sugareemama says:

I'm a little #8 – it's all- encompassing- but warmer in the center- our home and the love we share there with each other is our safe haven- outside in the 'world' where we interact with our people and not just each other – it's a little cooler- still love but different from what we share at our core. I also feel a little #5- 2 wholes coming together to make an even bigger thing together. These are awesome!

6. Via FB:
    Dana
    my last love … atomic explosion. unexpected. fiery. short duration. lingering effects for some time to come (but luckily, not life-threatening).

Ann Liederman

Rob
    A glowing,l smoldering ember

Chris
    it's like one of those Pennsylvania underground coal fires that never really goes out, chars the land, kills all the wildlife, poisons the air, until everyone finally just moves away

Rose
    atomic explosion, firey, intense, consuming with lingering aftermath…the smoke is clearing

Jenny
    Love Explosion #5. Karmic, been here before, still here after all these years.

7. Tee says:

#9 speaks to me in the pattern of a powerful new relationship I am forming in my life. It waxes and wanes, goes from one extreme of being a romantic, intimate relationship to the other extreme of having an instant best friend for life, a possible split-apart twin soul. Back and forth, drifting lazily higher, no pressure for it to be anything more than it is…

8. lula says:

What a beautiful concept. Thank you for bringing more love into the world.

9. ARCreated says:

this is awesome!! seriously I found several that connected.
    currently 5…as it feels like we are on equal footing and growing together
    9 made me think of my late husband as it seems like a dancers…with one lifting the other
    12 made me think of my children…held close to my heart

each one made me feel something…what a divine gift you have shared.

10. Im pleased I discovered this web site, I couldnt get any knowledge on this subject matter prior to. Also operate a website and if you wish to ever interested in a little bit of visitor writing for me you should feel free to let me know, im always look for people to check out my weblog. Please stop by and leave a comment sometime!