We’re Breaking this One: Fox censors Tiger Woods’ Buddhist remarks.

Via on Feb 20, 2010

Intro via elephant editor Waylon Lewis:

Fox News—home of Brit Hume (“Tiger Woods should leave Buddhism for Christianity”) censors Tiger’s Buddhist remarks in Apology.

Naughty, Naughty Fox.

The above Buddhist section of Tiger Woods’ apology for his affairs was carried live by Fox News.

Here’s CNN’s unedited video of the apology.

Fox’s official version, however, saw all Tiger’s mentions of Buddhism deleted. This might be a coincidence—were Fox not the home of Brit Hume, who only weeks ago infamously remarked that Tiger ought to leave his Buddhist tradition for Christianity if he wanted to see himself forgiven, and in America’s good graces once more.

We were alerted to the discrepancy after I emailed my initial post re Tiger’s remarks to the Shambhala Buddhist community. And, credit where credit is due, Tyler Dewar, on twitter, was already on top of the story.

One heads up was particularly detailed…via my friend Ken:

Hi Waylon,
Tiger DID say those words on tv—Fox edited it out.  He spoke the “B” words at 11:11:58 Eastern Standard time (according to the tape log and my own ears). If you look at the upper left of the YouTube clip at 8:54 in, the clock jumps from 11:11 to 11:13…another reason not to watch Fox.  Anyway, I’m sending this only to you to correct.
Yours in the Vision of Truth Justice and the American Way, Way,
Ken

I can’t wait for Jon Stewart and/or Colbert to have fun with this latest blatant omission via Fox “News.”

tiger woods buddhism buddhist fox brit hume

Via our contributor John Pappas:

I don’t expect much from Fox News and I can completely accept when they take an obvious political or religious leaning.  Looking back at Brit Hume’s commentary on Tiger’s adultery, I can sit back and say “Well, it’s an opinion…and ignorant, insulting and blindingly stupid opinion…but still an opinion.”  And I can even respect Brit Hume for having the balls to air said opinion. I would have had even more respect for him if he came out afterward and admitted he was mistaken…but we can’t have everything.

However, with the current resurrection of the Tiger Woods debacle, Fox News has succeeded in completely misrepresenting Tiger’s own words by selectively editing the parts where Tiger talks about Buddhism completely out of the video they posted on YouTube.

This is news reporting? Taking what is a personal choice in spiritual path and just chucking it.  Well, Eff Man, if it ain’t Christian we ain’t reporting on it.  You take a medium such as YouTube with millions of hits daily, do a few minor edits and boom you have information for the masses that not only entertains and informs…but also lies. Lies of omission are still lies.

Or better yet, we can just skip it and pretend in never happen.  Right?  Bravo, Fox News, Bravo!  This way you can still cover a story and make sure it is twisted to your own religious value-set and dogmatic attachment.

Read the following transcript from the New York Times and then watch the video from the Fox News YouTube channel.  In the unedited video and in the transcript, Woods make remarks about  his reaffirmation to the Buddhist path.  Yet, in the edited video from Fox News, we have a miracle!  The Buddhism has gone away! Has it ascended into heaven?  Did the Lord God spirit it up into a higher realm?  Was it effing reincarnated into a garden slug?

Well, Fox News?  Where did the Buddhism go?  Are you so insecure in your own spiritual path that you can’t accept and report fairly on an affirmation that doesn’t deal with Christianity.  Sorry, everyone, but when a news agency edits an important part of a news piece (say Tiger Woods saying he is Buddhist) and then never mentions the edit, it smells of disinformation to me.

I mean there isn’t even a qualification on the video that states that it has been edited.  To me this is deceptive and exceedingly embarrassing—that in an enlightened society we are so scared that someone has a different belief than the majority.  If you don’t like what the news says, then feel free to edit the truth out.

How about a new slogan Fox News?

Fox News ~ Edited and Corrupted into Digestible Morsels for the Christian Majority

Desktop/Tablet banner

About John Pappas

John Pappas is a struggling Zen practitioner with a slight Vajrayana palate (but he won't admit it) stumbling between the relative and absolute through the Buddhist Purgatory otherwise known as the Great Plains of South Dakota. Emerging writer, librarian and aspiring hungry ghost, John spews his skewed perception of the dharma all over his personal blog, Subtle Dharma Mouth Punch as well as on the ephemeral Elephant Journal and occasionally (while having no artistic ability to speak of) on Dharma/Arte. John also loves tacos, homebrew, yoginis and obscure Cthulhu references. You can follow him on twitter under the handle @zendustzendirt

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

26 Responses to “We’re Breaking this One: Fox censors Tiger Woods’ Buddhist remarks.”

1. Don says:

Weird. It is 2010.

2. Doreen Hing Doreen Hing says:

Thanks – I was reading it via your twitter post. Absurdities of absurdities, who advises these people…
    No pun intended, but the kids are asking me to meditate on the Wii… maybe with a clearer mind I will be able to add my two pennies…

3. Dr Who says:

I think this is also about reifying racial categories. Faux Noiz does not want to admit of multiculturalism, and not muddy the narrative that Woods's failing has to do with his being "black."

4. Seeing a ton of retweets, best tweet yet is:

I don't care about Tiger's affairs;I do care about censorship.RT @elephantjournal Fox censors Tiger's Buddhist remarks http://bit.ly/9CUJa9

Amen.

…and some good comments on http://www.facebook.com/elephantjournal

5. Tom says:

That is the video from Foxnews, nothing was edited out.

• Nathan Smith smithnd says:

Check out the embedded video at 8:45 and following. Also, watch the clock in the upper left-hand corner. What's weird is that their ticker mentions Buddhism, but the portion of the speech is omitted.

This may be a case of an editorial decision that went halfway through.

• On youtube, it seems to have been edited out, check the video above.

6. Who's channel is that? Fox News has a Youtube channel here http://www.youtube.com/user/FoxNewsChannel

I'm trying to find if "Fox News Update" is affiliated officially with Fox News, but not finding anything so far.

7. Greg says:

So on the News it was not edited but on a YouTube feed it was edited?

The digital portion of Fox is in terrible disarray.

How was it carried on Beliefnet, which is also Fox owned?

Will make a comment to a friend in Fox News legal once I know the situation.

8. Shelli Meyers says:

Did you guys forward this on to any news outlets, especially The Daily Show?

9. just curious says:

Does Fox News get any credit for this article posted today on foxnews.com?

10. Jon Katz says:

I have carefully analyzed this situation in the Addendum to the following URL, and it seems unlikely that FoxNews did any of the editing on the YouTube video displayed in your blogposting. See http://katzjustice.com/underdog/permalink/Did-Fox… . I benefit much from Buddhism, but find nothing in Buddhist teachings favoring the zeal with which your blogposting and Twitter posts seem to go for Fox News's jugular on this "censorship" claim. Na Mu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo. Jon

11. Panchenlama says:

Britt Hume is racist.

12. Panchenlama says:

Faith is free. Religious freedom is for all. For Tiger Woods, too. Racist Britt Hume should be in jail.

13. Panchenlama says:

The New York Times does not lie.

14. fsbo says:

15. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon

16. Yong Tammaro says:

Let me tell ya, if u really into this stuff, u should check out this Hypnosis & NLP course

17. Mike says:

People give him a hard time but can you imagine doing this with all those people watching you there. At the same time he realizes that this video is going to be on television and many other places. The guy made a mistake as we all do. At least he has purpose and passion in his life. People that give him a hard time are just jealous of his success.