Gita Talk #2: Greetings, Gita Geeks. How is your reading coming?

Via
on Apr 26, 2010
Get Elephant's Newsletter

Bhagavad Gita MitchellGreetings, Gita Geeks.  How is your reading coming?

Starting on Monday, May 3rd, we’ll begin discussion on our first reading assignment, which runs through page 35.   (see Gita Talk #1: First Assignment–Read the Introduction ).  Hopefully you all have your book by now.

We’ll keep things moving with a reading assignment and discussion blog every Monday.  I’m guessing some things will generate so much discussion that I’ll put out some special topic blogs as well.  We’ll see how it goes.

I hope you will ask questions, comment, and reply freely as we move forward.  We’re depending on your enthusiastic participation.

We welcome questions and comments at all levels.  We have a wide variety of experience, from first time readers to veteran devotees.  That should make for some really interesting discussions for everyone.

Right now, tell us about your impressions of the Gita going in and anything else you’d like to ask or discuss before we get rolling in earnest on May 3rd.

Thanks for joining us.

Facebook and Twitter

I’ve set up a Facebook group for us called “Gita Talk at Elephant Journal”.  It will allow us to send each other direct messages.  I hope you will all join this group, but it’s not required.  It’s an optional group for us to get to know each other better and to attract more participants.  The Elephant Journal blogs will be where all the action is.

I’ve also created a hashtag #gitatalk on Twitter.  This is another optional way for us to talk to each other.  Just include #gitatalk whenever you write a tweet you want us to see and keep an eye on #gitatalk so you’ll see any tweets that we write.  Again, this is entirely optional.  (Since this online book discussion is an experiment, I’m experimenting.)

Please see
Welcome to Gita Talk
for all Gita Talk blogs and general information.
Jump in anytime and go at your own pace.

About Bob Weisenberg

Bob Weisenberg: Editor, Best of Yoga Philosophy / Former Assoc. Publisher, elephant journal / Author: Yoga Demystified * Bhagavad Gita in a Nutshell * Leadership Is Like Tennis, Not Egyptology / Co-editor: Yoga in America (free eBook) / Creator: Gita Talk: Self-paced Online Seminar / Flamenco guitarist: "Live at Don Quijote" & "American Gypsy" (Free CD's) / Follow Bob on facebook, Twitter, or his main site: Wordpress.

Comments

50 Responses to “Gita Talk #2: Greetings, Gita Geeks. How is your reading coming?”

1. Tracy says:

I've never read the Gita before and am looking forward to it. I'm committing to reading a few more pages tonight!

2. Greg says:

What is the planned format and timing? A one day post fest? Or once we hit the start line we post all week on one thread and then a completely new thread is started on week two?

3. I still have to buy my book! I'm on it.

4. Kaoverii Weber Kaoverii says:

Love it! The Gita rocks. So glad you're helping others to connect with this sublime text. Hare Krishna!

5. Susan N-S says:

Can't wait to get the discussion going! As you know I always have questions, especially on the Gita.

6. Me, too, Susan. We've had over a hundred people say "yes", 85 people have joined the Gita Talk on Elephant Journal Facebook group alone, in just two days. Now if we can just get everyone comfortable jumping in and participating, it'll be great.

7. Vanita says:

Got my book. Looking forward to the discussion. The introduction was beautiful!

8. […] Talk #2: Greetings, Gita Geeks. How is your reading coming? (This is copy of the “Gita Talk #2″ blog on Elephant Journal.  You are welcome to comment below, but I prefer that you click over to Elephant so we can keep […]

9. Jim Tolstrup Jim Tolstrup says:

Did you ever see Bagger Vance, the movie featuring Will Smith as a golf caddie? It's totally the Bagavad Gita, or at least the part where Krishna is explaning the nature of existence to Arjuna.

10. Hi, Jim. I saw the movie, but it was many years ago before I was into the Gita, so it went right over my head! Now I'll have to go see it again. Great material for a blog. Perhaps a supplemental activity for "Gita Talk"?

Steve Rose wrote a whole book about this "Gita on the Green" and there are good link athttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Bagger

Thanks for reminding me about this connection. I'm going to explore it further.

Bob Weisenberg
    YogaDemystified.com

11. Starting May 3rd??!! But I have things to say now!!!!! How the hell am I supposed to wait ’til Monday????!!!

Hmmmm…could it be I’m missing the point of the Gita already?

12. Brenda P. says:

Must get cracking…but it's time to brush up. I'm looking forward to this…

13. Thanks for writing, Lisa. I hope you'll share your thoughts with us when we get rolling Monday.

14. Medea says:

Hi Bob,

what an excellent idea! I've tried to read the BG a few months ago (another, not so good Dutch translation), but didn't finish. This seems a great opportunity to start over. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming discussions. Props for you!

Warm greetings from the other side of the ocean.

15. Welcome, Medea. Great to have you here. Watch for first discussion blog, "Gita Talk #3" on Monday, and, of course, you can also follow the goings-on at Facebook & Twitter from the links in the blog above.

16. Lola says:

I am currently in my first 200-hour yoga TT (at Reflections Yoga in NYC with the amazing Paula Tursi) and we have been reading parts of the Gita but I think I will join this group to get another experience and to deepen my understanding of this text. Thanks Elephant Journal for doing this. This is so very cool!

17. Hi, Lola. Glad to have you join us.

18. Margann says:

I’ve read the Gita before, and am disappointed in my own reaction. To me it feels like a “guy book” based on a belief in the caste system and reincarnation. As a 72 year old female, I find I have to dig for the inspiration. But I do love the concept of work without thought of reward. I will work hard on this reading, because I know millions have been inspired by it.

19. Greg says:

As we have discussed previously, when it comes to reincarnation the issue is not one of belief. Rather it is a matter of practice and awareness. Either one has come to an awareness of reincarnation in the practice or one has not. There is no amount of argument and belief that will lift one over the threshold and argument or belief will not be an issue for those who have firsthand knowledge.

Thus, in our discussion, there may be a dual-track approach. There will be those who approach the material from the point of view of not having a personal basis for engaging the concept of reincarnation and there will be those who will approach the material from the point of view of firsthand awareness of reincarnation. I know that I, for one, will need to be very aware of other posters' sensitivities in this regard. And I imagine the favor will be returned.

20. tanja says:

i was reading about this thinking "great i really must follow this" it'll be a great chance to re-read the gita which i've been meaning to do for a while, so i looked up the mitchell edition to buy it asap – only to think; wow, this cover looks familiar, it turns out this was the first version i ever bought years ago, which since then has been sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be re-read – so i'm ready and excited to start! it's such a great idea to do this as a community, thank you, bob!

21. What a pleasant discovery. Glad you're here.

22. Karen Maresca says:

The Gita means so many things to so many people. This is really exciting. This translation is wonderful.

23. You're right, Karen. That's one of the things that makes it so interesting to talk about.

24. You're right, Karen. That's one of the things that makes it so interesting to talk about.

25. […] is great preparation for our first Gita Talk discussion blog, which will be posted Monday morning at 10am […]

26. Ted Bagley says:

Sorry I didn't get bad yesterday, Bob, so tired from work.
    Now the question for the rest of the text would be when is Shiva speaking for Shiva and when is he speaking for someone else.

27. paramsangat says:

Hi Bob,
    now I have the book , got it today :)
    I've been reading other transalations of the Gita as part of yoga trainings, first one over 10yrs ago…but I've never liked them. Too hard and time consuming to comprehend…
    I've heard this one should be lighter and now when I have it in my hands and started the introduction.. I can see that I am acctually enjoying it, I really do love the cove, the fonts, the layout, the language and so on…I understand it :) so I think this time will be a real pleasant read :)
    I'll continue on the next, where we discuss the Intro.
    Thank you for doing this Gita Talk :)

28. masil says:

I brought Stephen Mitchell's translation of the Gita f few months ago !! I am pleased to have found company as I once more take it off the bookshelf. thank you.

29. Girish_M says:

Hi Bob,
    I have read upto Page 35. Isn't it a contradiction that Krishna recites the poem about love and fruits of action in a battle field. How can the lord Krishna give such a magnificent discourse on life and yet be involved in the war. More than that Lord Krishna bends or even breaks the rules of engagement to help win the war. Does being a karma-yogi mean that the ends justify the means ?
    I am curious to get your take on this (If you've already talked about this, can you point me to the relevant thread ?)
    Regards