I have always been strongly committed to family but also pursuing my professional goals and a successful career. Working full-time, being a wife, raising two boys and on top of all of that pumping at work has its challenges, but in the midst of it all I still have time to laugh. Below are not only some tips for stay-at-work nursing moms, but hopefully information that will provide a good laugh and some “Uh-huh’s” from “The Amen Corner. ”
1. Never wear white to work. NEVER! Milk stains and will create funny-looking circles on your shirt.
2. Bring a separate bag to work just for your nursing supplies. Spilled milk can stain the inside of your purse and cause a strong odor.
3. If nursing, pump in a private and quiet room to allow your milk to flow. If distracted, bring a picture of your child to allow your milk to come down.
4. If you feel comfortable, you can tell your colleagues that you are nursing and throughout the day you will need to be excused to pump. Involving them will create a support system.
5. Eat solid meals and drink lots of water throughout the day, not only to maintain your energy but to keep up your milk supply!
My colleague and I returned from maternity leave about the same time, and I found it difficult to pump in the ladies’ room. In an effort to make it easier for other new moms, we approached the vice president of our institution and requested the establishment of a lactation room. The university responded positively by creating a comfortable private room. If you’re having difficulty pumping at work, then ask your supervisor for suggestions on a private space to pump. Hopefully, he/she will be able to accommodate your request.
Just for Laughs:
1. Locking the pumping room is like locking the bathroom!
2. I think forgetting your pump is a good excuse to go home early!
3. Spilled Milk. Nuff Said.
4. Messing with the pumping room handle is stopping my milk production.
5. My milk can not substitute as a creamer for your coffee!
Version published in Divine Caroline.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 375 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 165 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 383 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 991 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 9 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,695 share The Fourth Kind of Love. 1,909 share What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 1,578 share “I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers.” 1,378 share How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 2,205 shares