What happens when you do Yoga: part 1: Asana.

Via on Oct 21, 2010

9 amazing benefits of regular asana practice:

Asanas are the physical positions, or postures, of yoga. Asana is a Sanskrit word. Sanskrit is known as the language of the Gods. It is ancient, subtle, and complex. The word asana means seat, or position: literally, the relationship that your body has to the earth. Sanskrit being Sanskrit, there is also an implied meaning: steadiness, and comfort.

So asana is a position that is held steady and comfortable.

Petra, my wife, in King Cobra; Poorna Bhujangasana

What happens when you practice these positions in the right way (holding them steady, and relaxing into them) is that you (1) breathe deeply. Since any time you remain steady and relax deeply, your breathing will also deepen as a natural consequence.

As your body lets go of unnecessary tension (which is absolutely inevitable with practice, because it’s simply not possible to hold an asana whilst also holding on to stress) there is a deep (2) ‘letting go’. Emotional stress that was locked away in the muscles and tissues of the body, especially the fascia, dissolves. This is why people sometimes cry or feel emotional during yoga practice; usually however the ‘letting go’ is on a more subconscious level.

As the body breathes more and more deeply, the lungs expand and contract more fully, gently and rhythmically (3) massaging the internal organs and glands. They are toned; toxins are released; and all the systems in the body – the endocrine system (hormones); nervous system (stress + relaxation); circulatory system (energy) digestive system, and metabolism – are balanced.
As well as this internal massage, the yoga postures are also well known for the wonderful (4) external massage that they give: stretching. The muscular skeletal system is rebalanced completely; the main reason why yoga is known to be quite simply the best remedy for a bad back. Problems with alignment are corrected automatically, as the body remembers it’s proper relationship with all it’s various parts.
Another reason why yoga helps to fix a bad back, apart from the stretching aspect of the exercises, is that it (5) strengthens the body, especially the core of the body. The core muscle groups are the ones that hold the body internally, maintaining good posture and balance. Look at an experienced yoga asana practitioner, and you’ll see physical poise, balance, and lightness of limb. Yoga is known as ‘skill in action’, and certainly physical mastery is one of the results.

Inverted postures (such as shoulderstand and headstand) reverse the effect of gravity on the blood flow in the body, bringing (6) much needed nutrition and energy to parts of the body that may lack them, rejuvenating the upper regions – heart, throat, and brain.The heart is especially benefited by these inverted postures due to the effect known as ‘Starling’s Law’, which states that the more the heart muscle stretches, the more it in turn contracts. The large volume of blood entering the heart (carried freely by gravity from the legs, pelvis, and abdomen) stretches it greatly so that it then contracts strongly, and is given wonderful exercise; without any stress on the nervous system and knees, which other more aerobic cardiovascular exercise is guilty of.Heart disease, formerly thought to be irreversible, has been demonstrated to be not only reversible but also cure-able with the help of yoga.
I mentioned hormones above. Most people don’t realize how important the endocrine system (system of glands which produce hormones to regulate many of the functions of our organism) is: it is responsible for our moods. That’s why we sometimes put unpredictable behavior down to someone being ‘hormonal’!In short, when you practice yoga, the endocrine system is balanced, toned, and stimulated, so that (7) the correct levels of specific hormones are produced: to dissipate stress, and induce relaxation.

I don’t mind telling you that before I became a yoga teacher many years ago, I was a party animal, living a fairly hedonistic lifestyle in London.One of the things that ‘hooked’ me to yoga was that I realized the wonderful feelings and experiences I had using recreational drugs then, could be reproduced without the drugs.To be specific: I attended a wonderful yoga class, and left the class one Autumnal evening feeling as if I had taken MDMA (ecstasy). My vision was sharp; my body felt as light as a feather; my thoughts were ‘crystal clear’; and my mood was one of calm, ecstatic, joy bubbling up and over me… in short, exactly the same experience I had had ‘partying’. As I walked home that evening through the streets of London, the streetlamps seemed as beautiful as the trees. The air I breathed was like nectar, and each person hurrying past was a being towards whom I felt infinite compassion. In one word: I  as pure love. The next day there was no ‘come-down’; I knew I could tap into that feeling anytime I wanted, because the source of it was not something external – a drug – but something inside of me. My love affair with yoga continued on from there… and one of the reasons I teach it is that I want to share that incredible internal experience with others.

Yoga also brings our attention to any issues that we have – physical and emotional. It’s very hard to do a full yoga class and not notice tension in the body, or anger in the heart. The nature of these postures is that they (8) bring problems, weaknesses, and stress to our attention. By way of example: if you have a weakness in your knee, which may well go unnoticed until you run for the bus and damage the joint, practicing yoga will undoubtedly bring the problem to your attention. You will then have to adapt your practice to accommodate the injury, and soon you will find that the problem is gone, as the postures soothe, stretch, and strengthen the ligaments, muscles, tendons, and tissues around the problem.

Locust / Shalabhasana; don’t try this at home!

Finally, practicing the physical aspects of yoga brings clarity, focus, and balance to the mind. Asana practice is really meditation too. It brings us mindfully into the present moment, with ease and grace, so that (9)magic happnens: our body and mind integrate again. While most people think of themselves as a mind and a body; or perhaps a mind in a body; the truth is that the mind and body are one. There really is no separation between the two: they are like two sides of the same coin.The reality is that human beings are pure consciousness, pure vibrational energy. The body is a dense manifestation of that consciousness. The mind is a subtle manifestation of that consciousness. Both are essentially pure consciousness. So what happens when we practice asana is that in some kind of magical way, perhaps as a result of the cumulative effect of all the above points together, we suddenly feel ourselves more integrated; more comfortable ‘in our own skin’.

There are in fact way more than 9 benefits. I picked the number 9 out of a hat (not literally) before I started, and worked around it. There are actually so many benefits to a regular yoga practice that I could write on and on about it for the rest of my life… but I don’t have time for that, and neither do you. But you get the picture. The only other thing I feel I should mention before I leave you is ENERGY: I mentioned consciousness before, and pure vibrational energy… well, that’s what you are. Sometimes, that energy gets kind of ‘twisted’, or blocked, and then we feel… well, not so good. Yoga practice gets the energy flowing properly. The consequence of that is not only that we feel better, but that our evolution is accelerated. That’s right, we become more evolved. Our consciousness is raised. You can put this a number of different ways: for example, you can say that the higher chakras are awakened, or balanced; you could say that the kundalini is awakened (for my own experience of chakraas and kundalini see here); or you could simply say that the vibration is raised. Either way, the effect is unmistakable. I’ll talk more about the energetic effects of yoga practice in part 2: pranayama.

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston almost joined the army when he was 18. When he was 32 he almost became a Swami. *** Now he is a healer, Reference Point Therapy teacher, and advanced Yoga instructor in the Sivananda tradition . His work as a healer acknowledges trauma as the underlying cause of almost all human problems, and resolves trauma at the causal level: gut-based survival instincts. The intention behind all his work is to empower others. *** Ben splits his time between his busy international practice, training therapists, and writing. As an experienced Yoga and Meditation teacher he also runs retreats, usually on the beautiful Croatian coast. *** Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his blog Grounded Spirituality.

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

31 Responses to “What happens when you do Yoga: part 1: Asana.”

1. Howie says:

Thanks for the article Ben!

2. AMO says:

I wish you were my yoga teacher…

3. Ramesh says:

Ben,
    wonderful article and insights and just about the same way I practice…which shows that our practices draw from the same source–hatha yoga as practiced within the tantric tradition, where balancing the hormones and the endocrine system and the chakras is essential, and slow breathing and holding each position at certain intervals, etc is part of basics. Many fitness type of yoga practices which are practiced rapidly will not get those deep benefits, since originally asanas were developed to prepare the body and mind for meditation, for spiritual growth, not for physical fitness only. Would be interesting to compare this slow, more subtle form with the others in a scientific way….
    Thanks so much for this, Ben!

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

"Many fitness type of yoga practices which are practiced rapidly will not get those deep benefits"
      Agreed. These types of yoga are great for 'general fitness', and also have some spiritual benefits in that they are a kind of halfway step between yoga and other types of fitness, but they are very limited compared to the traditional style practice of hatha yoga.
      Ironically, many people think that simple 'hatha yoga' is somewhat boring; I feel it has a bad image. The reason I feel it's ironic is that it's far more challenging to hold a pose for an extended time than it is to move through the poses in 'flow'.
      Still, to each his own and all that. I love teaching people pure hatha yoga though when they're used to the more fashionable stuff – you really sense a massive shift in their awareness. To that end I feel that the other 'styles' are a good preparation.
      Thanks Ramesh!

• Ramesh says:

Good points, Ben…. agree!

• ARCreated says:

and never discount moving meditation…I recently led 108 sun salutations and several of the participants said it was the deepest meditation they had ever experienced. I wouldn't recommend moving that quickly as your only practice but when you are "in the flow" there is a meditative quality that can be amazing.

• Ben Ralston Ben Ralston says:

Hi ARC (is that Aminda?)

Hmmm, I’ve never done 108 sun salutations before… I think my most is 10 or so (pretty lame huh?!)

You’ve inspired me, and I think I’ll have to give it a go :)

4. Dylan Barmmer Dylan says:

Agree very much on the challenge/insight that comes with holding poses longer, going real deep, both into the pose and your own heart, mind, soul.

Great stuff. Peace.

-The Mad Yogi Poet

5. candicegarrett says:

love love love. As usual!

6. Blissful Girl says:

Printing this article and putting in my "keeper" binder. Will share excerpts with my students this weekend. Thank you.

7. rachel says:

i do yoga everyday, have done for years, and while it has a lot of benefits i have never experienced for example, permanent joy, in fact i get in touch with a lot of negative emotions generally speaking, as do a lot of folks i know,

as far as i can see from the yoga teachers i know what comes up is THE SHADOW, truly I get a lot of things out of yoga, i do really hate it when it is touted as a pancea for all ills, instant enlightenment and so, i hope we can be more honest about the whole of the yoga experience, and not pretend that it is always, or even often a miracle cure, and own that it still has a lot of benefits – lolx

8. Helene Rose helene_rose says:

Hi Ben,
    I enjoyed reading this very much. I have not been practicing yoga these days, but I find that I connect with much of what you say in my dance practice. When I dance, I breathe deeply, let go, empty my body and mind and allow what needs to come through. I definitely feel emotional/hormonal balancing as my body fills with oxytocin, the hormone of love. I do hope to get into a regular yoga practice soon though. It feels so good! Great info~!
    (PS- some yoga poses of Petra in pregnancy would be interesting to see! What do *those* poses look like?)
    Enjoy!

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hihi Helene,
      At the moment Petra's pregnancy yoga poses look like someone who swallowed a large watermelon desperately trying to move some parts of their body at least! She is very limited now in her yoga (only two weeks left!), but she still does it almost every day. Her discipline is astonishing, and puts me to shame.
      I agree that dancing by the way is absolutely wonderful. I love it too, and somehow don't do it enough. We did go through a dancing phase – I used to take my dog and my ipod up onto the hill nearby and dance to the stars occasionally, but it's been a while… thanks for the reminder :)

9. rachel says:

thanks ben, – again, saying it will never come up again, is just plain wrong, even with acceptance, (at least in my experience). There is always more, and there is nothing wrong in that. Suggesting that practising yoga gives you perfect health, and perfect joy, as the lead in to your article on elephant journal did is a typical claim ,however, it is also misleading and naive,.Yoga can give you better health and make you feel better, it also can do is help you on a path of self-growth. Still, on its own, it is not the panacea that some folks make out, i just want to make that clear to people who maybe are still not experiencing perfect health or joy all the time, even with a regular yoga practise – thats because its a marketing claim…. lolx

10. RRT says:

"I don’t mind telling you that before I became a yoga teacher many years ago, I was a party animal, living a fairly hedonistic lifestyle in London.One of the things that ‘hooked’ me to yoga was that I realized the wonderful feelings and experiences I had using recreational drugs then, could be reproduced without the drugs."

Ben – I appreciate this article, especially the part in which you shared your experiences. Thank you for posting this.

11. [...] each day smiling at my toes. By the time I have gotten to Adangusthasana Padahastasana, my practice is its own reward. I discovered yoga last May; I still consider myself a very inflexible person even as I smile as my [...]

12. [...] to the origins of yoga–descending from the imported western version at least–the Indian yoga asanas, or postures, were all developed by the men, for the men and about the [...]

13. [...] How effortlessly it persuaded me to remain under my blankets instead of rising to embrace my yogasana practice. Practice? What practice? Frankly, there wasn’t much of one left. My yoga routine, (which I had [...]