Buddhist Celebrities. {Nudity}

Via on Dec 16, 2010

pema chodron funny fear

Bonus:

Bondi Hipsters take the P*ss out of Miranda Kerr’s GQ Photoshoot. {Nudity, Video}

Two parts Miranda Kerr in a bikini, one part Buddhism.

She’s Buddhist.

takei

ginsberg orlovsky poet beat generation

So are these other 20 first tier celebuddhists—celebs including the Dalai Lama (!), Aung San Suu Kyi (!!), Jet Li, Goldie Hawn, George Takei, Yvon Chouinard, Allen Ginsberg, Steve Jobs, Tina Turner, Herbie Hancock, John Cage, David Bowie, Oliver Stone, David Lynch, Orlando Bloom, Jeff Bridges, Adam Yauch, Tina Turner Philip Glass, Governor Jerry Brown and Richard Gere.

jeff bridges tricycledalai lama quote qotdDavid Lynchleonard cohen

Not that it matters, ’cause everything is empty. But everything is also form, luminous, awake…and fame can be an opportunity to bring attention to good causes, to meditation, to mindfulness, and to being of benefit.

richard gere tibet sexy hot

[galleria]

“…Kerr practices Nichiren Buddhism and believes “we have a responsibility to bring peace and harmony to our lives and the world.” As part of her Nichiren beliefs, Kerr reportedly chants every morning and night for 20 minutes, practices yoga, meditates, and reads widely on spirituality.”[7]

About Waylon Lewis

24 Responses to “Buddhist Celebrities. {Nudity}”

1. Padma Kadag says:

You know it's funny, speaking for myself and this is a first impression thought, celebrity buddhists or any other buddhist…I just don't take their "Buddhist-ness" seriously when they are describing themselves or others as such. First of all when I am told that someone is a Catholic or a Jew my tendency is to believe them, that they have a history in Catholic-ness or Jewish-ness, etc. Buddhists are a dime a dozen…we don't need to go into all of the reasons why I feel that way. I guess maybe the fact that Buddhists advertise their Buddhist-ness and articles like this one promote Buddhism as some kind of Hip fad. Yes I "rejoice" for their Buddhistness…But why do we feel a need to identify Buddhists? I know many people that regard themselves Buddhist and have never received any teachings or know the life story of the Buddha. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer

• Blake Wilson Blake says:

Kind of like people who call themselves yogis when they've only been to the yoga class at their 24 Hour Fitness?

• elephantjournal says:

All good, and good points! I wouldn't argue that this article is some sort of serious journalism…but it's fascinating to know that Philip Glass, Steve Jobs, Miranda Kerr etc are finding solace and mission through mindfulness…and it's safe to imagine that their varying degrees of practice influence their work in the world, which is by definition as a "celeb" influential. So that's all good, and ought to be celebrated—these are individuals who are interesting to millions of folks who have never practiced meditating on the present moment. ~ Waylon

• The Pupil says:

I seriously doubt that their Buddhistness and yoga and meditation had anything significantly to do with their accomplishments and success. Most of them are/were typical westerners, working their butts off, chasing dollar, until they succeeded. Not only but, most of them succeeded before they even knew what a yoga mat looks like. Their adopted Eastern practices were just a nice addition to their celebrity image and the general idea of coolness which in the West is somehow always linked to the East which people find mystical and unknown.

• iain says:

Miranda Kerr is probably not the best example of a Buddhist to be promoting – she is a member of Soka Gakkai, which I would describe as basically a Buddhist cult. I recommend reading a bit on this organization's beliefs and methods, particularly their history of aggressive proselytizing (called shakubuku – literally means "break and subdue") and belief that all other religions, including any other form of Buddhism, are inferior. They also have a fanatic-like obsession with the "nam-myho-renge-kyo" mantra. The first time I encountered a Soka Gakkai Buddhist, I knew something was a little off, especially when after finding out I practiced Tibetan Buddhism he started saying really negative things about the Dalai Lama (like seriously?) and proceeded to explain to me why other forms of Buddhism were not "real" Buddhism. After reading up on the group, it was clear my experience was not unique – its how they do things. Just thought you should know.

2. If Miranda Kerr will just agree to marry me, I'll become a Buddhist, too…

3. Padma Kadag says:

Wow…reading comprehension is a lost art. Look…my comments are meant to be casual commentary on the fad of Buddhism with celebrity and mostly about the need to identify those celebrities as such. I am not taking a stand here…lighten up. As I said I rejoice at their Buddhism…But you can't tell me….Viraya, Jenny jenjen.. you don't know what I am talking about???!!! Certainly we can comment on subjects just because. Not because it is important?

4. Ella Lauser Ella says:

As long as we're commenting and making statements… I wear my japa mala like I used to rock my backwards saggin' jeans, 108 ways to be trendy and then some (just kidding)! But in truth, I have a cornucopia of sacred treasures and am proud to represent. Three cheers for wearing a glow in the dark rosary from a Roman Catholic grandma while rubbing a happy buddha belly figurine on my Balinese alter after reading Siddhartha and burning sage while calling the four corners. If you can be a cafeteria Catholic, why not a polytheistic one love star swinger?

5. Kathi Kizirnis says:

Thanks for making me laugh, Ella! And is that a Bikram knee-lock on that chick or what?!

6. Lindsey Wolf lindsey says:

Miranda helped me out with my half-moon pose a couple years back in a SoHo yoga class. She was kind to assist me in class and as I recall in a down-to earth, approachable sweet manner- the girl walks the talk!

7. melissa says:

kerr may be gorgeous and buddhist but she really needs to drop that left hip.

8. Bud Wilson Bud Wilson says:

Hey Way, Maybe your post could be linked with my encouragement to join the "give away" bandwagon – perhaps with all the celebrities listed as Buddhists and Yogis, our 1 degree of separation society can get this message of generosity to them and the world will be a better place because of their practice and all that brings to their awareness! http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/12/how-about-

9. @MsCruella says:

David Lynch is not a Buddhist. He was raised Presbyterian and does not consider himself part of that faith anymore. He has been known to say he does believe in some form of God that is more abstract and now practices Transcendental Meditation which not associated with a religion nor is it a religious practice. The TM technique of meditation is VERY different from the mindfulness meditation practiced by some Buddhists and draws much of its knowledge from Hinduism.

10. Dreamy Travels says:

NAMYOHO RENGE KYO " Winter always becomes Spring" – Daisaku Ikeda, Nichiren Buddhism <3

11. coqui says:

Clowns to the left of me,
    Jokers to the right, here I am,
    Stuck in the middle with you…YAY! http://youtu.be/surb8FzjWfg

12. Viraya says:

Succinctly stated, thank you. I am an acquaintance of one of the "celebrities" mentioned, and I'm sure s/he wouldn't care what anyone thought of their practice of Buddhism, especially @Padma Kadag. This "celebrity" has been a sincere practitioner of Buddhism for years and it manifests in their personal and professional life. (This "celebrity" never advertised their "Buddhist-ness" to me, I learned of it inadvertently. ) And, now I'll announce I'm a Buddhist, but no celebrity!