Buddhist Celebrities. {Nudity}

Via Waylon Lewis
on Dec 16, 2010
get elephant's newsletter

pema chodron funny fear

Bondi Hipsters take the P*ss out of Miranda Kerr’s GQ Photoshoot. {Nudity, Video}

Two parts Miranda Kerr in a bikini, one part Buddhism.

She’s Buddhist.

ginsberg orlovsky poet beat generation

So are these other 20 first tier celebuddhists—celebs including the Dalai Lama (!), Aung San Suu Kyi (!!), Jet Li, Goldie Hawn, George Takei, Yvon Chouinard, Allen Ginsberg, Steve Jobs, Tina Turner, Herbie Hancock, John Cage, David Bowie, Oliver Stone, David Lynch, Orlando Bloom, Jeff Bridges, Adam Yauch, Tina Turner Philip Glass, Governor Jerry Brown and Richard Gere.

jeff bridges tricycledalai lama quote qotdDavid Lynchleonard cohen

Not that it matters, ’cause everything is empty. But everything is also form, luminous, awake…and fame can be an opportunity to bring attention to good causes, to meditation, to mindfulness, and to being of benefit.

richard gere tibet sexy hot

“…Kerr practices Nichiren Buddhism and believes “we have a responsibility to bring peace and harmony to our lives and the world.” As part of her Nichiren beliefs, Kerr reportedly chants every morning and night for 20 minutes, practices yoga, meditates, and reads widely on spirituality.”[7]

About Waylon Lewis

24 Responses to “Buddhist Celebrities. {Nudity}”

1. Padma Kadag says:

You know it's funny, speaking for myself and this is a first impression thought, celebrity buddhists or any other buddhist…I just don't take their "Buddhist-ness" seriously when they are describing themselves or others as such. First of all when I am told that someone is a Catholic or a Jew my tendency is to believe them, that they have a history in Catholic-ness or Jewish-ness, etc. Buddhists are a dime a dozen…we don't need to go into all of the reasons why I feel that way. I guess maybe the fact that Buddhists advertise their Buddhist-ness and articles like this one promote Buddhism as some kind of Hip fad. Yes I "rejoice" for their Buddhistness…But why do we feel a need to identify Buddhists? I know many people that regard themselves Buddhist and have never received any teachings or know the life story of the Buddha. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer

2. If Miranda Kerr will just agree to marry me, I'll become a Buddhist, too…

3. Padma Kadag says:

Wow…reading comprehension is a lost art. Look…my comments are meant to be casual commentary on the fad of Buddhism with celebrity and mostly about the need to identify those celebrities as such. I am not taking a stand here…lighten up. As I said I rejoice at their Buddhism…But you can't tell me….Viraya, Jenny jenjen.. you don't know what I am talking about???!!! Certainly we can comment on subjects just because. Not because it is important?

4. Ella says:

As long as we're commenting and making statements… I wear my japa mala like I used to rock my backwards saggin' jeans, 108 ways to be trendy and then some (just kidding)! But in truth, I have a cornucopia of sacred treasures and am proud to represent. Three cheers for wearing a glow in the dark rosary from a Roman Catholic grandma while rubbing a happy buddha belly figurine on my Balinese alter after reading Siddhartha and burning sage while calling the four corners. If you can be a cafeteria Catholic, why not a polytheistic one love star swinger?

5. Kathi Kizirnis says:

Thanks for making me laugh, Ella! And is that a Bikram knee-lock on that chick or what?!

6. lindsey says:

Miranda helped me out with my half-moon pose a couple years back in a SoHo yoga class. She was kind to assist me in class and as I recall in a down-to earth, approachable sweet manner- the girl walks the talk!

7. melissa says:

kerr may be gorgeous and buddhist but she really needs to drop that left hip.

8. Bud Wilson says:

Hey Way, Maybe your post could be linked with my encouragement to join the "give away" bandwagon – perhaps with all the celebrities listed as Buddhists and Yogis, our 1 degree of separation society can get this message of generosity to them and the world will be a better place because of their practice and all that brings to their awareness! http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/12/how-about-

9. @MsCruella says:

David Lynch is not a Buddhist. He was raised Presbyterian and does not consider himself part of that faith anymore. He has been known to say he does believe in some form of God that is more abstract and now practices Transcendental Meditation which not associated with a religion nor is it a religious practice. The TM technique of meditation is VERY different from the mindfulness meditation practiced by some Buddhists and draws much of its knowledge from Hinduism.

10. Dreamy Travels says:

NAMYOHO RENGE KYO " Winter always becomes Spring" – Daisaku Ikeda, Nichiren Buddhism <3

11. coqui says:

Clowns to the left of me,
    Jokers to the right, here I am,
    Stuck in the middle with you…YAY! http://youtu.be/surb8FzjWfg