For deep cleaning and whitening my teeth, I’ve found that the Ayurvedic remedy called “oil pulling” works better than going to the dentist.
An expert weighs in on how to do it…in-depth:
I first discovered this process about seven years ago on the website for natural remedies called earthclinic.com. It requires only a tablespoon of sesame oil (supposedly sunflower oil works too), so it’s easy enough to try. Since my first time, I’ve been blown away by how well it works–it whitens my teeth and draws phlegm from my body with dramatic effect.
Supposedly, oil pulling has other health benefits too–various websites claim that it doesn’t just whiten our teeth and draw out phlegm; it draws out toxins as well, leading to clearer skin, among other things. But I can’t vouch for anything other than what I’ve seen: whiter teeth, clearer lungs.
I’ve had many friends try it, and all but one have had wonderful, similar effects (the one friend didn’t notice much difference.) If you’re curious, here’s what I do:
- Brush your teeth and floss.
- Pour one tablespoon of sesame oil (or sunflower oil) into your mouth.
- Swish the oil around in your mouth without swallowing it for 15-20 minutes, and pull the oil through your teeth as you swish. If your jaw muscles become sore while swishing, you’re working too hard. Relax your jaw. While swishing, the oil will become white and foamy. This is normal.
- After 15 or 20 minutes, spit the oil (now white foam) into the sink drain or toilet. If you choose the sink, be sure to clean it afterward; the substance contains toxins.
- Finally, rinse your mouth out 2-3 times with warm water, followed by some form of mouthwash. (Sometimes I brush my teeth again instead of using mouthwash.)
Here’s a video that explains the exact same process:
hot on elephant
How I stopped Speed Dating my Passions & finally Committed. 235 shares She Smiles as she Cries: the Story of High-functioning Depression. 5,058 shares New Moon in Scorpio: Only those who Believe in Magic will Find It. 3,295 shares A Homemade Buddhist Ritual for Letting Go. 614 shares 10 Things to Know about Dating a Scorpio (& Why they Love Sex). 599 shares Living with C-PTSD Following an Abusive Relationship. 2,434 shares Why we must Break to Heal. 1,039 share Stop Ignoring these Connections, they can Turn your Day (or Life) around. 932 shares To my Diego: 4 Poems by Frida Kahlo that Demonstrate the Exquisite Nature of Love. 633 shares Why it’s Okay we Won’t ever have Sex. 280 shares