How healing / personal development / therapy became super-fast & easy!

Via on Mar 19, 2011

Until quite recently the accepted view was that therapy takes time (not to mention money).

Now, for real inner transformation, only a few sessions are needed. Sometimes only one!

How is this possible?

Well, therapy evolved. It used to be psychological, or emotional, or ‘energy’ oriented. The problem with these approaches is that the root cause is (very often) not healed: because the cause of our problems is rarely, if ever, head, or heart, or energy based.

The root cause is almost always a deeply subconscious association that relates to survival, safety, or sexuality.

And that means it relates to the gut.

When you work on an issue (whether it’s a physical symptom or an emotional problem, or depression – whatever!), if you find the deepest feeling associated with that problem, and release it from the subconscious, the issue will usually just fall away. (It’s a little more complicated than that – sometimes there are other factors to consider – such as secondary gain – but essentially, it is that simple).

You always feel the deepest feeling associated with the problem in the gut, because that is our center; it’s where our survival issues originate.

The reason it’s so easy is that you are not your problems. Your issues are just ‘stuff’ that you carry around with you. Yes, baggage.

Another analogy is clothing: You are not the clothes you wear. You just wear or carry them. As easy as it is to drop a piece of clothing, so it is simple to release your blockages.

What are you then, if not your ‘stuff’?

Your stuff is just a part of your ‘story’. You can keep on telling your story, and holding onto your blockages, for as long as you like. But when the time comes that you’ve had enough of that, and would like to be genuinely, deeply happy and successful, then you can quickly and easily let it all go.

Because what you really are is pure consciousness. Pure consciousness is what the ancient yogis referred to as Satchitananda – pure existence, consciousness, and bliss.

The essence of everything is pure consciousness. It’s simply the creative power in the universe. It has also been called God; spirit; Tao… there are many names.

When we stop experiencing the joy and love of pure consciousness, it’s because our perception and experience of our own essential nature are blocked. Almost all of us have blockages, because our society is pretty badly flawed.

The good news is that it’s changing, and you can change too. If you want to experience deep inner peace; joy; bliss… if you would like to heal your blockages so that your life, and the lives of your children, can be better, get in touch.

Yes, this is shameless self-promotion, but I’m not a corporate banker. I am a healer. So I’m not in the least ashamed of promoting my work, because I love it, and I know that it is a powerful tool for inner transformation.

My therapy is based on the alternative healing technique of Reference Point Therapy, which I also teach.  You can find the RPT website here, the RPT blog here.

Inner transformation and powerful personal development no longer takes ages, costs a fortune, or has to be difficult.

When you’re ready to change, the change can now come very easily. It’s also fast and fun!

I know a lot of people will be skeptical about this. It seems too good to be true. However, I ask you, if you are skeptical, to keep an open mind. Look into it. You can start with my testimonials page on my website, which is just a selection of the many clients I’ve seen who’ve had amazingly fast results.

Whatever you think, I’d love to know. Leave a comment – can healing really be fast and lasting? Or am I just another snake oil salesman?! Do you have any specific questions about this technique, or how it works? I’ll be happy to answer them…

Oh, and while you’re at it, hit the facebook ‘like’ button so that together we can let as many people as possible know that life is meant to be fun!

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston almost joined the army when he was 18. When he was 32 he almost became a Swami. *** Now he is a healer, Reference Point Therapy teacher, and advanced Yoga instructor in the Sivananda tradition . His work as a healer acknowledges trauma as the underlying cause of almost all human problems, and resolves trauma at the causal level: gut-based survival instincts. The intention behind all his work is to empower others. *** Ben splits his time between his busy international practice, training therapists, and writing. As an experienced Yoga and Meditation teacher he also runs retreats, usually on the beautiful Croatian coast. *** Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his blog Grounded Spirituality.

115 Responses to “How healing / personal development / therapy became super-fast & easy!”

1. livingfrombalance says:

How do I find a practitioner in my area? It sounds great.. sure to good to be true, but what if it is? Then I am all for it!
    namaste

• Ben Ralston Ben Ralston says:

Hi,

Well, you don’t need to! Sessions are no less effective over skype. So if you’d like to work with me you can – you can get my email from my website – Prem Center – which is linked to from my bio (above).

Alternatively (if you don’t want me!) you can find RPT practitioners world wide on the RPT website (linked to in the article above).

Ben

2. HermosaYogini says:

I think think your photo is pretty cheesy but I like what you have to say-it sounds like you just may know what your speaking about. But the photo says you just may take yourself a bit too serious

3. HermosaYogini says:

I think think I won't edit that.

4. Ben Ralston Ben Ralston says:

You shouldn’t edit it Hormosa. I like honesty.

I’ll be honest with you too – I don’t have a lot of photos to choose from.

And I do take myself seriously. I’m a pretty serious person.

I also laugh at myself regularly.

So there :)

5. Monique says:

I'm sure your brand of healing works wonders for some people, but I don't think it's necessary for you to disparage other methods in promoting your own. As a graduate student training to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (and as a certified vinyasa teacher) I believe a combination of the cerebral, primal, and spiritual is very effective. Some people's consciousness resides more in the psychological, and these individuals tend to do very well with any one of the many modalities available in traditional talk-therapy. And, while some people can make great strides in any form of therapy in just a few sessions (indeed, some methods are designed to be short-term) others get greater benefit out of longer-term work. In addition, some people feel more comfortable seeing a practitioner whom they know has been trained to evaluate empirical support for treatments, accepted ethical treatment guidelines, etc. as a result of this practitioner having been licensed via an accredited program (I couldn't tell from your bio whether you have any credentials). So, more power to you for doing your work, but presenting it as the culmination of the evolution of therapy is misleading. And also makes you sound pretty arrogant, I might add.

Hi Monique,
      I disagree.
      You of course have an interest in long term 'more psychological' therapy (as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor).
      In my experience there is no benefit whatsoever in spending large amounts of money, time, and energy on a course of action that is less effective than a cheaper, faster, and easier way.
      I understand where you are coming from – it's very difficult for us to accept, having been conditioned (as most of us here in the West have) to believe that we must work hard for success, that we can do things quickly and easily, and that they can actually be fun. But I find that they can.
      Also, your comment that some people's consciousness resides more in the psychological is false (sorry, I don't take any pleasure in contradicting you, but it's simply not true).
      Consciousness does not 'reside' anywhere. What we are is consciousness. Someone whose awareness is psychologically oriented however needs therapy (if they want to be completely happy and successful). This is precisely the kind of misconception that makes the psycho-oriented therapies no longer relevant (in my humble – or perhaps arrogant – opinion).

6. Monique says:

Your opinion is most assuredly arrogant. I take great umbrage to your implying that I would steer people to long-term therapy for monetary gain (any more than you would steer them to your modality for similar reasons). Firstly, the mental health field is alive and well and needs no bolstering from me. Secondly, in my career as a mental health counselor in New York State I can expect to make between 35k and 50k (US) per year (the mean is actually 37k, as per the Bureau of Labor: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ny.htm#21-0000…. Now, compare this to the 70k I will have in student loan debt, and the years I will continue to spend in classes, workshops, seminars, doing research projects, completing my supervised practicum and internship, etc. and I assure you, you will not accuse me of being money-hungry. Especially considering that I want to use the skills I have gained to help under-served populations, which will mostly entail traveling to low-income, crime-ridden areas (not skyping from my chalet). So, forgive me if I am skeptical of self-proclaimed "therapist-healers" who declare from the mountaintops of Slovenia that they are more acquainted with human consciousness than I. I cannot speak for your clients, but hubris is not a quality I value in a therapist (credentialed or otherwise).

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

hehe, Monique, sorry but you've exposed yourself as the arrogant one.
      I am a 'self-proclaimed' therapist-healer.
      I 'declare from the mountaintops'…
      I 'accuse' and oh bla bla bla.

You base most of this on the assumption that something I said was to do with money, but that never entered my mind. I simply said that you had an interest. And you do. Who, after all the studying, training, research, internship, etc that you proudly mention, would like to admit that what they studied is outdated? You clearly would not, but it has nothing to do with how much you or I earn.

I suggest ( you will think arrogantly, but I suggest it with love, my dear ) that you would do well to value intuition over reason. It is far more powerful than what is in the head. Then you will understand me better.

With love, Ben

7. Monique says:

You are at best a well-meaning ignoramus, and at worst an opportunistic charlatan. I would suggest to you that you do not write about a subject on which you have clearly not bothered to educate yourself. Promote your style all you want, but stop denigrating something you do not understand. Your condescension does little to disguise vast, glaring deficits in your knowledge of the field. As the Dalai Lama said, "Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." Namaste.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Monique, I'm neither an ignoramus (whatever that is) nor a charlatan.
      But you'll never know what I truly AM, because you're too busy trying to justify your reaction to what I DO.
      I wish you all the best on your path.
      Ben

• TamingAuthor says:

Yea, Ben! Triple yeah, yeah, yeah.

The mental health profession is the most corrupt and inept field on the planet bar none. The preceding dialogue illustrated a tiny little (pretty much harmless) corner of that whacked out field. Bravo.

But the thought did occur to me that you wrote both your part and the Monique part as an illustration. Does not matter – it made the point beautifully.

Your philosophy is on the money. Totally agree with the premise you are putting forth. I have no real interest in RPT but no reason to challenge it either as your underlying foundation is sound, unlike that of the criminal mental health profession.

You may be doing something wise in terms of being located in Slovenia and offering advice through Skype. It will be getting crazy out here in the land where the mental health profession has destroyed the schools and an entire culture. Those clever Marxists and Communists from Germany and Russia launched a bomb (otherwise known as modern psychology) which has been detonating in small little pieces for the past fifty years until it has incapacitated and entire population. Quite clever.

Good luck with your efforts.

• Monique says:

Haha! EJ never fails to entertain.

From the Ej facebook page:
            Sandi Strong: I am a licensed mental health counselor, and after reading about RPT I chose to have an in-person session with a practitioner. It was powerful and very effective. I was also left with many questions over the following days, and experiences I thought needed further processing, but I was able to do this on my own. There has been a specific, lasting shift in the "issue" I addressed, and I made many new awarenesses that weren't really new as I had explored and processed them before (we had to do a lot of our own work and get to a certain peer and faculty reviewed level of differentiation and mental health, in order to graduate from the graduate program I attended). But this time it hit me differently. –I'm still finding it difficult to express into words. I'm assuming at some point I will have found the vocabulary for it. I've been using many of these techniques for years, but the structure and focus of the session was dynamic, deep, and powerful. I am definitely going to a training so that I can fully understand and use this process. I highly recommend it, but I'm not 100% certain that it is a "one time" quick fix process for all issues. – But I look forward to finding this all out and am open to the possibililty.

• It wasn't the Dalai Lama who said that. Learn quotes properly so you can requote them properly. Namaste. :)

8. ARCreated says:

1. I love your picture :) I think it's very handsome!
    2. I too work with methodologies that work faster and with less stress than traditional psycho therapy – but bare in mind we all need something different….so no matter how great or powerful your protocol is nothing absolutely nothing works absolutely for everyone all the time…and thing will only work when the person is ready — sometimes it will take some traditional talk therapy to prepare someone to be open to work

• ARCreated says:

3. the only thing I might squabble over is the "energy" word… as in the subconcious thought IS energy so even my hypnosis and yoga nidra is essentially "energy" work :)
      4. I have seen instant results with NLP, Hypnosis, Reiki, Yoga Nidra and a host of other therapies…I have NO doubt this methodology is powerful — I have NO doubt that eventually longer slower processes will become less used but they will still have their place….we each come to our path and are at a specific place in our journey and our healer is ultimately ourselves and when we are ready we will break through (with or without a healer)
      5. Ben I adore you, you know I do…I would still caution anyone in the healer mind set to always take the MOST humble of postions — because we are merely conduits and the moment anyone of us thinks WE have all the answers we have stepped into ego…
      6. finally I am excited to learn more about the technique, it sounds like it will fit nicely in my toolbox with my other techniques!!!

Hi Aminda!
        Wow, I could write for days to reply to what you wrote but I'll have to break it down and keep it brief…
        1. Thank you!! I was an ugly duckling (looked like an Orangutang apparently) at school. Nice to have people think I'm handsome now :)
        2. Of course, I agree, we all need different things at different times. Each person's path is unique. However, that said, the vast majority of people still think that a) therapy has to be hard work, expensive, and slow, and b) I believe that therapy has evolved. Whenever there is an evolutionary jump, people take time to catch up to it. Some clever dude (or a few clever dudes) figured out that Earth is *not* flat a looong time before it was officially acceptable to say so… likewise, there has been a big jump forwards in therapy; it can help many individuals, and our society as a whole, *enormously*; and my interest is not in maintaining the status quo / old paradigm… my interest is in sharing this work as quickly and simply as I can.
        (P.s. – my work is 'talk' based too!)
        3. By 'energy' work, I am referring to Bio-Energy healing. I agree with you – energy is a word that can be interchanged with consciousness. For true healing to take place, the blockage must be cleared on the subconscious level, so that pure consciousness (our essence; Satchitananda) can shine through (much like removing a rock from a stream allows the water to flow).
        4. Yes, it's possible that other therapies can give instant healings quickly and easily like RPT. I am not saying that RPT is the only way. Absolutely not! It depends entirely on the therapist. If they are working with consciousness, then there is no limit to the miraculous, instant healings that can happen. However, as a rule, any therapist that follows a methodology that is head, heart, or bio-energy oriented is missing the root cause of the problem, and most of the time the symptoms will persist (although sometimes in a different form). This is because head, heart, and bio-energy issues *are* only symptoms. So you can heal them, for sure… but the cause remains. And then problems will come again later.
        If we are *really* honest, the 'success rate' of most alternative therapies is very low. 10 to 30%. That's not good enough. That means that a vast majority of people are simply wasting their money and time on something that has a slightly lower success rate THAN A PLACEBO. My success rate with clients is somewhere around 90%.
        5. I think that humility is a prerequisite for this work. I am humble. I am also shy in many ways, and don't have a very high opinion of myself. If I sometimes appear arrogant or egocentric it may be because I am! (yeah, I'm human, and arrogance / ego is based on fear, and I didn't eliminate all my fears just yet). However, I couldn't give a hoot about what anyone thinks of me anymore. I'm genuinely passionate about my work – I love it. I know its' power. So when I write about it, I see no reason to protect people's sensibilities. Yes, a traditional psychotherapist, reiki practitioner, bio-energy healer, etc will read this article and be pissed off with me. But I don't care. I don't think it's my arrogance that makes me not care – it's because I have no interest in protecting people whose success rate is (often) 30%. My interest is, and has always been since I was a child, in the truth. And the truth here (my truth at any rate :) ) is that therapy should be fast and easy and highly effective.
        6. I honestly think that if you learn this (and can do it well), you'll throw away the toolbox :)
        Ps – I'll get back to you on the

• TamingAuthor says:

Oops. Energy should not be equated with consciousness. There are gross forms of consciousness that are not really consciousness but rather a lousy use of the term to refer to mind stuff — storehouse mind, karmic imprints, etc.

Actual or primary consciousness is not energy but may use energy or fabricate energy. The line is very narrow so it is easy to get into confusion on this point. The fabrication of spece-energy-matter by consciousness puts them so close that it is easy to overlook the razor thin discernment needed.

Hi T.A. – I simplify.
            I use the words energy, consciousness, and god interchangeably. I believe that our essence as human beings is divine (god) energy (pure consciousness).
            Of course consciousness is a tricky word – but I disregard all of the forms of the word that are used (as you rightly say) to refer to 'mind stuff'.
            Language, as you know, is very limited. Actually, every time we speak we contradict ourselves! However, we do speak, and we must try to convey meaning with as little confusion as possible!

9. ARCreated says:

PS — I am curious how it's different from NLP and Time Line Therapy —- ?????

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Good question. Here's the answer (lifted directly from the FAQ of the RPT website):
      "NLP, and specifically Time Line Therapy, is probably the only technique that has a passing resemblance to Reference Point Therapy. The resemblance is superficial, in that what goes on "under the bonnet" is fundamentally different.

In the Level 1 Reference Point Therapy we use a regression type technique similar to Time Line Therapy to find the origin of a person's blocks. However we get to a very different place than is reached by using Time Line Therapy. Our technique is loosely modelled on Grant McFetridge's Peak States work. Specifically, as with the McFetridge model, we find that nearly all blocks are caused by inherited trauma, most of which occurs or exists in the cell at conception. We have found (as did McFetridge's PhD) that Time Line Therapy does not get to the true origin of a person's condition. This explains why the results with NLP are not always profound and instantaneous. This is not a criticism of NLP, which is an amazing body of work, just a distinction in where we believe the origins lie, based on recent scientific research.

In the Level 2 Reference Point Therapy course we teach a much more intuitive approach to healing in which the practitioner "sees" for themselves the underlying trauma and allows it to change. There is no need to make the client to any regression, which is the slow aspect of Time Line Therapy.

Most importantly, the actual healing work bears no resemblance between NLP and Reference Point Therapy. There is no need for the client to use positive imagery, imagination or will power. Rather, the trauma is instantly cleared as soon as the true origin is found, by realigning the original anchor or reference point. The concept of anchors is not new, but we have found a way to clear them instantly. We guide the client to connect with their sense of "Being" and come back to alignment. Or, the practitioner does this for the client instantly. In either case the result is an instant and dramatic change.

The biggest difference is in the results. Reference Point Therapy clients usually experience an instant change or benefit. We have not seen this occur with any other healing modality."

10. Ben,
    Every time your write about this – RPT – I am intrigued. I am a yoga teacher and have also studied life and health coaching and the B1 Process that we use in health coaching sounds similar to RPT. I agree with all you said about it and I believe we need to hold the space for this type of healing in the world. Clearly Monique does not get the work you do – and that's ok. Ele is a forum for providing information and if someone doesn't agree – cool, a respectful 'interaction/conversation' can take place. That's not what happened with Monique…. by calling you arrogant – without really knowing your or your work – that was uncalled for. I don't know you other than through our Ele 'interactions' and I totally feel your essence (Satchitananada) in everything you write. I know I don't need to 'defend' you and you totally understand not taking anything personally – but I did want to add that I think you and your work are pretty fabulous.
    Keep on keeping it real.
    Peace,
    ~Maureen

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Maureen, thank you for the support. It means a lot.
      While it's true that I tend not to take criticism personally anymore I do take praise from people I respect (such as yourself and Aminda) personally: it means a lot.
      I agree wholeheartedly with all that you say, and I also know that you speak from a place of heart and courage. I know that you wouldn't hesitate to call me out on something that you felt was wrong or false. It's good to know that you've 'got my back' in that sense.
      Thank *you* for keeping it real!
      Ben

11. Tracy says:

Ben,
    You are a huge douche, a wanna be guru, trying to capitalize off of others genuine need to feel better about themselves. Good work Tammy Faye. Peace out.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Big contradiction between your first two sentences and your last ;)

• Tracy says:

Yes, thank you for pointing that contradiction out Ben.

From the Ej facebook page:

12. yogainthevalley says:

It is interesting and educational to read all the comments to this article. It always surprises me when people in a forum like EJ spew hate and judgement. Criticism is one thing but name calling, accusation and assumption reflect more on the person saying those things. Ben, after reading your responses to these comments, I will never again miss one of your articles. You handled them with grace, professionalism and humor.

13. TamingAuthor says:

I suppose there is an upside to being "a huge douche" in that one might be able to cleanse the body of the infection that is the mental health profession so that the birth of future generations will not be covered in the slime of false dogma and population control freaks. Maybe "a huge douche" is what is needed to awaken a population all asleep and addled on psychiatric medications.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

It's an ugly word though isn't it?! Douche… and a 'huge douche'. Ouch :)

• Laura says:

Interesting, different perceptions, different languages.. Douche in Dutch means (to) shower :D

• NSiko says:

It is a bit narrowminded to throw aside any particular treatment modality just because you don't understand it. That you label all people on pharmaceuticals as "asleep and addled" shows you have very little understanding of what psych meds do and the benefits and negative effects of their short-term and long-term use.

Ben's methods may be appropriate for some people who have long term issues but does not address people with acute symptoms resulting from living in unbearable situations from which there is no obvious escape or with serious disorders such as bipolar disorder. Or adults with ADHD who spend their lives feeling ineffective and wondering why they can't live up to their potential until they get diagnosed and try med and suddenly feel like a normal person.

I agree that too many people are prescribed meds too easily, but overuse of a tool doesn't invalidate its usefulness. Not all people who take meds are "sheeple" as your words would imply. And, no, I'm not on any medications.

14. Joe Sparks says:

Terms such as "mental health," "mental illness," "normal," or "abnormal," are completely misleading. These terms were attempts to describe either (1) the unwillingness of an individual to submit to, or function according to, an externally imposed standard or model from other people or from a culture or a society, or (2) the effects of distress patterns on an individual's functioning.
    Traditional "therapy" in the oppressive society has as a goal to make or "help" individuals "adjust" to the society as it is. Yoga, meditation, self help groups, taking turns listening to each other has as its goal to empower humans so that they will transform the society that it will fit humans' rational needs.

Hi Joe,
      you raise a very interesting point. Namely, the different intention behind the (so called) traditional medical system's approach to mental health, and the kind of therapy I am involved with.
      I agree wholeheartedly – I believe we are all a little crazy :) To acknowledge this is to find a some freedom. To try to be 'sane' is in fact a rather more frightening prospect!
      I read a wonderful book on raising children before I became a Dad recently, called The Continuum Concept. In it, the author tells of her trips to live with a native tribe in the Amazon. She recalls how one man would climb a hill above the village, and banging his drum, scream at the top of his voice for several hours. No one in the village would bat an eyelid. he came down, and carried on as per usual… to me, that's a healthy behavior, and a healthy society that accepts it.
      I wonder what would happen here…

• TamingAuthor says:

Joe, I believe that is the case. German and Russian psychology, which was shipped wholesale to the U.S. was designed for population control with the goal of creating a submissive sheep-like population. It is amazing how well that has worked. (And we see how those trained in the field consider it "entertaining" when the field is correctly labeled as criminal.)

• Joe Sparks says:

TamingAuthor,
        The "mental health" system is full of good people who have been trying to be useful in the struggles of people mis-defined as " mentally ill." However, this structure generally lacks an understanding of the nature of distress patterns and the discharge of emotions, and has been largely taken over by profit motives. The "mental health" system plays a number of oppressive roles. Importantly, it is use as a threat in the inhibition of discharge of emotions, in the general enforcement of conformity, and in the destructive use of " shock -treatment" as well as dangerous and damaging drugs.
        Change the "mental health" system from a system based on profit and greed to a system based on healing, from a " professional" sytem to a human community.

• Dominique says:

Wow! I love this comment. I am in complete agreement and hope my own work as a yoga teacher and bodyworker are helping toward the two aims by Ben: Satchitananda and by you: transforming society through the empowerment of individuals. I also think we need to reform education more than mental health. If education were truly empowering society would be much more healthy in every way.One person's opinion. Namaste all even the less savory expressions! which are hard to bow to without expecting some sharp response.

15. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

HI Diverticulum,
    If you'd researched a little more deeply you'd have found that RPT was founded (in a way) to redress the problems caused by Theta Healing.
    Simon Rose, founder of RPT was a Theta Healer who became disillusioned with it, and created something much better.
    And actually the RPT website, videos there, etc, are not my cup of tea either! It's an old site, and the new RPT site should be up next month. It'll present an amazing modality in a much better way i think.
    Thanks for the comment.

• diverticulum says:

Any time extraordinary claims are made, like "super-fast and easy healing", I think it's important to do the research. I did mine, thanks. I hope everyone will check out the system and these claims for themselves. We may not draw the same conclusions, but we all need to ask the questions. It's not for nothing that discrimination is so valued by the Buddha and Patanjali…

16. randolphr says:

Ben, I find you well reasoned and well intentioned. Thank you for taking the time & energy to share and respond.

17. TamingAuthor says:

Okay. So when are we all invited to Slovenia for a bar-b-que and party? Seems like time to celebrate.

18. Megajn says:

Ben,
    You are not the target. People that are judging and criticizing you without knowing you are obviously threatened by you in some powerful way. I read your work, but better than that I have had personal contact with you via a healing (skype) and found you to be so open, genuine and sincere. No arrogance in sight.
    I think sometimes people will always challenge things that are new and unfamiliar without experiencing it for themselves. But as a whole, I think humanity is progressing.
    Keep writing and I'll keep reading.
    Love, Megajn.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Thanks Megajn. Yes, it boils down to people feeling threatened. Too bad that they try to throw their fear at this method (and me, although that doesn't bother me so much) rather than facing it and using it to grow. Ironically, then I would be able to help them too :)
      Thanks for the comment.
      Love, Ben

• Suzanne Jones sue says:

As a healers of trauma response and an educators around how the stress response works we are fortunate to know that many, many times people are threatened for reasons that they can not make sense of. As you mention in your article Ben, the root of these responses is a basic survival response that is often not connected with cognition. It's a primitive response that we don't often have control over (to start). So all these people who are somehow feeling threatened and reacting are essentially "fighting for their life". (well their nervous systems are at least). I feel fortunate to know this, teach this and empower people to free themselves from this stuff simply by helping them understand, recognize and then take accountability for their stress response and subsequent reaction to it. In this way I/we can always find compassion for those who strike out against us. Sounds like you already know this, of course..but I thought I'd add my 2¢.

xo
        s

19. Hi, Ben. Interesting discussion.

I don't have the time or interest to search for the answer myself. Hopefully it's clearly answered in the links you provided.

So I'll just ask the general question. Has your method been unequivocally proven with rigorous scientific research? Or is it thought, like many healing methods, to be beyond or incompatible with that?

Second question. In your next blog you provide a rave review by a person who underwent a single session with you and wrote about it just afterwards. Hardly a definitive statement of overall long-term effectiveness.

Have you ever had a letter or e-mail of complaint about your service, and, if so, would be so kind as to share those with us, too, sort of like Trip-Advisor, so we can make a judgment based on the whole picture?

Thanks.

Hi Bob
      I think you are intelligent enough to know that to unequivocally prove, with rigorous scientific research, that a method like this is what it says it is would require vast sums of money, not to mention time. So no, it obviously hasn't, since the people with those vast sums ( http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/03/2-things-w… ) generally don't want to prove it!
      But if they did, I have no doubt that it would be compatible with the research – unlike the many methods you reference.
      Secondly, they didn't write about it just afterwards – they wrote about it 3 days later. While I agree that 3 days is a little soon to tell if the results are lasting (my other testimonials are given at least a week later usually) it is still a powerful result, from someone who suffered from a lifetime of abuse. I have my second session with her coming up.
      Finally, no I have never had a letter or email of complaint. Ever. As i have said before, my succcess rate with clients is over the 90% mark (conservatively). Those who know anything about therapy will realize that that is remarkable.
      I'm not saying that I've never had a dissatisfied client – I know of one. However, I also know the source of that dissatisfaction, and it is a highly unusual case. I follow up most of my sessions with an email or follow up call, so I know very well the results of the work.
      Thanks for your interesting comment Bob. I hope it gives some satisfaction to your skepticism :)
      Ben

• Hi, Ben. Just to be clear. I have no doubt that you are personally helping a great many people and that your clients love what they get from you. I'm sure you are a warm and sympathetic friend and counselor, and that alone will help most people feel better about almost anything.

My concern is more specific. It's the liberal use of scientific language, like "studies" and "research" and "90% success rate" for what is more a spiritual activity than a scientific one.

Spirituality and science are both things I love. And I know they're starting to combined in scientific studies of spirituality. But they are not the same thing and should not be confused with each other.

I asked my question only because you were using scientific, "experimentally-verified" sounding language to describe things that perhaps aren't really that.

It's something else that I'm sure is good and helpful to people, spiritual guidance. But, based on my limited knowledge, your use of scientific language seems inappropriate to me unless the studies and statistics you cite are, well, scientific.

Bob

Hi Bob
          Not sure where I mentioned 'studies' or 'research'. Could you point out that "experimentally verified" language?
          My 90% success rate is entirely scientific: Over 90% of my clients get the results they come to me for. Simple as that. I follow up with each client, so I know very well how my results are, and where I have gone wrong, if I have.
          RPT was *born* out of a desire to give people what they deserve: what they pay for.
          Most alternative healing modalities, and let's be honest, not only alternative healing, are less successful than a placebo. And yes, a vast amount of scientific research has been done into placebo.
          It is not right that people should offer healing or therapy and charge people good money, knowing full well that the client is much more likely to get no value for their money.
          Finally, RPT is based on very sound science (as well as spiritual wisdom). I'm too tired right now to go into it, but it's a very scientific technique, even though it looks on the surface (because it's so fast and easy) that it is not. Simon Rose, the guy who created it, did a huge amount of research to make it as successful as it is, and is continuing to 'tweak' it as new science becomes available.

20. Ema Maček says:

Ben, you're doing a great work. Not just myself, but I know few people who saw you once or twice and are happy now.
    And I know of a woman who you helped very much without charging at all.
    People who call you names and use these words to label you are only showing their own maturity.
    The best things in life are simple, but people always like to complicate and make science of things.
    ps – don't forget, unfortunately they crucified Jesus! He would have done alot more good…

21. Tamara says:

Nicely done Ben. You speak truth And…i'm sure you'll trigger a lot of people. I hope they just realize that if they are feeling that triggered, there is truth being spoken and their defensiveness is just a reaction to that truth…..
    Great article.
    T

22. Deborah says:

Perhaps it was the (necessary) streamlining of the extensive philosophy behind your post that elicited trite + negative responses. For those of us who understand the premise behind the launching point of your words – it not only makes sense – but your lean and strong choice of phrases resounds with a deep and honest understanding.

I would venture to guess that those who need to express doubt (or other negatives) have deep pain of their own – and have had every path they attempted to follow in order to regain peace end in utter disappointment. We have ALL been there.. many of us will return. But therein lies the essence of your message: Once you understand that shedding the mental clothing that our animal center (gut) dons can be as simple as disrobing physical fabric – you will own the beauty of healing yourself.

Be Well Ben Ralston – it is extremely difficult to balance Business with Spirit. Our culture demands that we sustain ourselves by income, and I hear something within you that will find a harmonious stasis as you seek A Living in wholesome Practice. Remain humble and enlightened in your observation of both praise + detraction.

Namaste Dear One.

23. catlyn777 says:

I am looking into it. For myself, building a connection and a trusting relationship does help people, sometimes quite a lot. I am a big believer in all people needed to feel connected, and also know that they are a part of something bigger than themselves, that there is a loving power that wants to help them if they can open themselves up to believing that. I am not a big believer in "techniques". I listen to and trust my gut instinct and my heart. I speak only from my heart, and speak heart to heart. I also know that it would be great if I could find another way to help people even more quickly and faster. The discussion about "people you can't help" is something I would like to discuss further some day. I think sometimes that is assumed too quickly sometimes. I have helped people at times when others have written them off as "chronic" (and impossible to help). Just because they have a thick file does not mean that there is no way to help them. I meet each person with no preconceived notions or beliefs, no matter what is written in their files. I try to keep an open mind and an open heart, always, and you keep on doing the same.

namaste
    Cat

Hi Cat,
      yes, when I said that there are people who can't be helped, I simply meant that they can't be helped in the way I am speaking about in the article. A kind, non-judgemental, open heart can work wonders, and I feel sure that in any situation you would be of service.
      Ben

24. Dear Ben,
    I am slightly hesitant to wake a sleeping dragon here, but I have some things I would like to say re: this discussion. First – I do not personally know the people or the work involved. Thus, I recognize that there is a great degree of speculation required for my opinions to be formed and voiced. So, please feel free to take what I have to say with a grain of salt. Also, if you don't fee like reading any more of this I understand… but my commentary is lengthy… I have decided to chime in because this is a public forum and that’s what we’re all doing here to greater or lesser degrees. But, I don’t consider my position infallible. Second – because I don’t know you, Ben, I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. Therefore, what I have to say will be under the assumption that, a. you are a good guy, and b. you sincerely and heartfully desire to assist people that are suffering.

Okay, that said… I can relate very much to experiencing a passionate yearning to work with the suffering in the world, and trying to actively do what I can to alleviate it. In fact, sometimes I get so exited about the amazing things I have learned in this regard, that I share them with unreserved passion. And, at times this passion errs to the side of intensity and aggression. I, like you here in this discussion, have also been accused of righteousness and arrogance. What I have come to see – which I wish to ask you about today – is that if many different people, in many different environments, in many different situations, have all recognized this tendency of mine then mustn’t it be true to some extent? It doesn’t matter that I have sincere intentions. Everyone who knows me would consider me as sincere as possible. This does not mean that I can’t still be an ass. So, I am curious – have others, in others situations, told you that you are acting arrogantly, self-righteously, etc?

In my case I live in a community where we have a principle of authentic desire to grow. This means, among other things, that we vow to always be open to critical feedback. I recognize that I want to serve people who are suffering, and then further that the only way I can really do that is by living what I would advise and eliminating hypocrisy. I also see that I have a very strong personality. This has its pluses and minuses. On the minus side, it means I have a huge ego that is adept at justifying its views and ways of being. Thus, it is essential that I take reflection from outside sources if I really want to grow and expand as a human being. If I did not pause, reflect, take in, and grow every time someone told me something about myself that I didn’t want to hear then I would remain stuck in my patterns.

Again, I don’t know about the rest of your life – and you owe me no explanation, or “proof” otherwise – but, from what I have seen from my limited view on a computer screen in Bangkok, is that you have had some amazing chances to pause and self-reflect in this discussion and just say… “hmm… maybe there’s something there for me?” Instead, I see comments like, “I am none wiser” for the feedback, and I see you defending your point very strongly – sometimes coming back with even more seemingly arrogant and righteous statements. Again, this is just a perspective from a distant lens. I could be wrong. But, I know that in my life I aim to not only be okay with critical feedback, but to be grateful for it. I really couldn’t grow without it and thus, I would never realize my potential to really be of service to humanity.
    (continued next comment)

25. I know without a doubt that I experience limitations. I also understand, intellectually, that my true nature is limitless. So, that’s all I need to know – there is a gap between my experience and my potential. This means, then, that I must take in feedback if I am authentic in my desire to be who I want to be. This also means I have to not react to this feedback and have the discipline to pull back at first and just take it on the chin for a long while. I have to get used to “wearing egg on my face” and be okay with not defending my view or proving my point. This is very hard for me to do. I don’t always succeed. And, sometimes I consciously choose to answer back because it is important to do so in that situation. But, for the most part, I want to try to hold back, hold black, hold back and reflect… then, I can discover the difference between a natural response and my ego’s reaction.

I don’t know if this experience of mine is anything that you can relate to, or benefit from. I am not accusing you of anything as a matter of fact. But, I am seeing a possibility of a similarity emerging in this discussion you have been the subject of. So, I am bringing it to light for you to take or leave as you wish. I know it can be difficult when you have a lot of people around that think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, as some of your fans clearly do. It’s a very comfortable position for the ego, and it is somewhat inevitable when you are good at what you do – as I imagine you are. This is why it is essential to also surround ourselves, as yogis, with people who rub us the wrong way and who we annoy. It is also an intricate part of the yoga tradition to hang around a LIVE, present guru that will kick your ass from time to time. I am extremely grateful for the mirrors available in my community that remind me how much my shit still stinks.

Again, I don’t know if you do, or don’t, have this in your day-to-day life. But, maybe this forum can add as a complement to your ability to serve people by offering you these mirrors. True growth, as far as I can see, always includes discomfort. It doesn’t feel good to get critical feedback. But, it feels wonderful to take it in, eat it, and gain nourishment from the negative, transforming it into the positive by growing in humility and unconditional love of self and other.

Finally, as a last means of possible reflection for you I want to share with you my opinion that there is a lot of “I” in your promotion of your work. I am certainly aware of the extraordinary possibilities of healing and expansion through yogic wisdom and methodology. And, I am very critical of the current limitations of psychotherapy as it is most widely understood. But, even with the amazing possibilities of approaching healing and trauma with the awesome science of yogic healing my understanding is that it is never “I” who heals anyone, of anything. At best, I can be a conduit of teachings I have received (which I did not invent but was graciously given), that happen to inspire something within another person that is enables them to heal themselves. I don’t know, it just appears to me that you will be an even more effective servant to your clients if you expressed a little more authentic humility about your role in this process.

I sincerely hope you read this commentary in a way that benefits you and the people you serve. This doesn’t mean I hope that you see that I am right and you agree with everything I am saying. Again, I could be wrong from where I am standing. So, either way, whether you take it or leave it… I hope it is a perspective that benefits in one way or another. It is obvious that you are in a position to help a lot of people. That is great. I am happy for that. So, if this comment serves you in any way, then the benefit will be exponential. This is my intention.
    All the best,
    Yogi

Hello Yogi!
      I've been working on my ego since I was about 10 years old :) Wile I am aware that there is still work to do, I believe it's important to discern between genuine opportunities for that work, and people simply venting their stuff on the 'net because they can.
      I also feel that there is a delicate balancing act (called life?!) between Satya and Ahimsa, and if we always try too hard to not hurt anyone's feelings, we will never get anywhere. People will always feel threatened and hurt by change and success. Avoiding threatening and hurting people is not always, in my experience, a good thing. Having said that – I would never intentionally try to make someone feel threatened or hurt… I'm sure you understand.

Secondly, i think there is a very big difference between genuine humility and a kind of politically correct 'niceness'. (Very common in new-age / healing circles). I very much like Don Juan's (Carlos Castaneda's) definition of humility: "I bow my head to no one, but I let none bow his head to me." My focus is more on being real and honest, than on convincing myself and others that I am humble. That said, I believe that I am humble, but sure, I do also have an ego still… so there is always another balancing act to be done, and I do admit that I sometimes (and sometimes more than others!) get it wrong.

Finally – the point about healing: it's a very difficult topic, and too big for this forum… but whether 'I' heal, or the client sources the healing themselves… it's not really important is it? The important thing is the work. If I am able to enable people's healing process – I think it's enough to call myself a healer – especially since there are few other labels that fit. Therapist? Not quite right. Healer? Also, I agree, not quite right. But I have to call myself something (unfortunately!), so there it is…

26. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Reply to Energy of Mind's (Yogi's) comment continued:

27. cowsaregreat says:

Dear Ben,
    I like you and I like what you say. I have read most of the posts but not all and it's just silly. I love the advice of not having to defend your work or your motives. I love the quote: who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear a word you are saying. I have had the whole course of my life changed by ONE look into the eyes of the Divine known as Mother Meera. The vibration at which some beings exist on this planet can alter and heal many things. It's true it's possible. I've lived through it. I've not done any yoga for a few years but did sit at the feet of a fully divine incarnation in India and after that experience was able to go into full headstand without any effort. It was effortless. Without any practice. The lightness of mind the destruction of what is false in us that we identify with can be accomplished on many levels and instantly at the right time and if we are open. Usually those that have never experienced it are not open to it and therefore have to mount accusations against those that even discuss it. I had 5 years of therapy in younger days and that helped me and was essential but the pace of the evolution of the world is accelerated at this time and the mass destruction is here while also the higher spiritual realms and vibrations are here and can transform anything that is open to receiving them. There is no need for these mean spirited accusations on anyone. Why do people's opinions matter so much? Why do we think that we actually know what is "true". I only know one thing, what I've experienced for myself. All judgement directed at anyone is just ego projection. Anyone in a place of peace and resting in knowledge of their true Self, or even having had glimmers of it, could never see anything wrong with anything or anyone. God Bless. And keep up the good work. Let's all humbly withdraw all opinions and judgements of others and focus on our selves. Love all. Serve all. In best way you can. Focus on the big picture. Let's stop small petty arguments. Just because it can be done on the net, it seems to serve as outlet for wasting time and energy in useless discussions. Yours, in Love and Light.

28. Ben Ralston Ben Ralston says:

CowsAREgreat,
    I like you too :)
    And I love what you have to say. I can taste your peace, your light, your love, and it’s as if we’re sat face to face *connected*.
    Keep loving, keep serving, keep working… stay happy.
    Ben

29. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Shannon,
    Please don't feel bad about what you call judgement – I call it discernment.
    Discernment is essential (and well documented as such in almost every spiritual tradition), not only in personal development / evolution, but also just as a tool for survival and success in a material world.
    Being judgmental on the other hand is about having emotional reactions towards people and situations so that you create a negative energy (karma). I don't think you were doing that at all. You were just calling it as you see it, and that's good. That's honest and real.

30. Ellen says:

Full on spiritual bypass.

31. [...] Everyone from born-again Christians, Pagans, those with eclectic spiritual beliefs – whatever good mojo they brought, we would take it. Most of the time, I slept in a chair sitting up next to his bed and [...]

32. [...] inwardly sigh when this question is posed, not because I don’t want to spread the word about this great healing modality, but because—let’s be honest—the answer is, well…out there. Photo: Raine [...]

33. Suzanne Jones Sue says:

I do think this approach is very, very valuable..especially for the populations that I work with (www.yogahope.org). The program that I am currently piloting sounds similar and I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on working with women trauma survivors. The recovering addicts that I work with have so much going on..they are not just in recovery but dealing with intimate partner violence as well as grieving for the loss of their children (many are taken from them). They are also in "talk-based" 12 step programs and in many cases, additional talk based programs. Sharing insights etc…important for women because their sense of self esteem and self worth develops through relationship. Giving them a chance to validate one another and be mutually empathetic is very important. Anyway, I'd be curious what your thoughts are. If you have time you can email me at the address on our website. Many blessings.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Sue, I'll email you certainly. To answer your questions briefly so that others may also see: this therapy is most effective in my opinion in dealing with trauma – it makes healing trauma very fast, and very easy. What is wonderful about it is that the client does not need to talk about the trauma itself. I, as a therapist, do not need to know what happened. So other is none of the 'reliving' the experience which in my mind is harmful.
      As for addiction – that's very complicated. But if a person is ready to really take responsibility for their issues (rare) then I can help them a great deal. To get them to that point other programs (as you mention) are very useful.

34. Steven says:

A lot of times our subconscious associations and beliefs manifest themselves as psychological "energy" or emotions that we experience throughout the day. I do agree, however, that we often need to deal with these problems at a deeper level, not just with our surface feelings of either "good" or "bad," but what are our underlying beliefs and associations are that cause us to experience the world in this way. Sometimes it takes a little digging around in your thoughts – that may evoke dark energy from time to time (things about yourself you weren't previously conscious of can sometimes be alarming), but often it is something that needs to be exercised and dealt with before we can move forward with a clear mind. Good article!

35. TNewYork says:

You have written something that I have always known. In psychotherapy for 15 years, the therapist had to convince me that there was no way out of the pain, when my instincts were telling me that when I identified pains and let them go, I was better. Sure there was/is a lot of shit in there so releasing one issue doesn't finish the whole job but I definitely have a sense that that one issue is healed/over/gone. I know everyone needs something different and different situations warrant different therapies but I agree that traditional psychotherapy can be a pit full of money and endless pain and despair.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Thanks T – interesting perspective. Try out RPT – it's the dog's bollocks (as we say over here). And you may find this comment interesting:

From the Ej facebook page:

36. Kit says:

Loving your work Ben – staying true to your life’s purpose and serving / helping others -we are all the same – born from love, yet so diffrent – diversity is good and life is all about learning – so “different strokes for different folks” – “one mans medicine is anothers mans poison” is what springs to mind….Plus a wise woman once told me that when others criticise an other, they are actually highlighting the negative points about themselves – coz in the bigger picture its never about others, its about thy self. I look foward to reading more of your articles & your amazing soul centred answers to others who challenge you from a place of their ego – Namaste
    Kit

37. Katharina says:

I thought this was a joke until I read the comments. Like ironic-hipster-mocking-snake-oil-therapist-promotion-joke. I was wrong and am most surprised that it still works like a charm. Respect!

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Discussion continued on facebook as follows:
      Ben Ralston: No Katharina, it's real. I'm sincere and honest, and have no interest in ripping people off – quite the opposite. But I know this challenges people's perceptions of what is possible… if you read the comments you'll have seen that some people are pretty enraged by it actually!
      about an hour ago
      And if you read the above comments you'll see that there's a mental health counsellor and a psychotherapist who are both 'get it'. So it's not *that* far out I suppose. ~ Ben Ralston

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply you were after ripping people off. I just feel that most of us go through life either searching for the (easy) way out or thinking that we've found it. Several times I was very convinced that now I had found it and if only everyone would follow the world would be so awesome. But I've become mature enough to recognize that not everyone has the same way, not everyone is at the same point in their lives and each path is different and complicated and there is no easy way out. The way out is to accept, truly and deeply, that this is it.

And I think it's understandable that you're so enthusiastic and want to help people but it's also good to keep in mind that all the other people who promise the same things (neo-evangelists, fitness-gurus, business-coaches, etc.) are equally convinced about their methods and equally truthful.
      33 minutes ago · Like

Katharina Böcker Also I wasn't arguing with the content of what you said. My argument was solely with the promise that this works for pretty much everyone right now. It's the promise of the Western World, the American Dream. "You can all be free right now". And yes of course we can, but so could everone in the history of time at any given moment, but most people decide that they don't want to be, and there are valid reasons for that. I've seen people again and again after intense sessions or groups proclaiming their freedom, but really, it's still one step at a time. Once in a while you leap but after the leap you still have to catch up with the rest of your life.
      28 minutes ago · Like
      Katharina Böcker: What you wrote is very much like advaita and it's true and it works. But there are no promises. Imense willingness, courage, trust, commitment are required. And because so many of us "seekers" have so many issues about trust, commitment, courage and willingness … not everyone is truly ready to jump, no matter how much they wish they were. And maybe traditional therapy (or meditation for that matter) is not the worst idea for them.

Ben Ralston: Katherine – thank you for clarifying. And basically I agree with most of what you say. This is not a (as I said to Sandi above) be-all end-all answer for everything and everyone one. But it does represent a massive leap forward in the evolution of therapy, personal development and healing. The reason for that primarily is that it successfully merges modern science (such as epigenetics) with the ancient spiritual wisdom of consciousness. And I tell you this, in response to your statement: "I've seen people again and again after intense sessions or groups proclaiming their freedom" – so have I. RPT is different. There is no euphoria afterwards; no tears; no fireworks. There is usually a subtle sense of something shifting, a feeling of lightness and joy – and it's permanent. ~ Ben Ralston

38. Tanya Lee Markul tanya lee markul says:

Ben, well-done. This is very interesting and your messages really touch some deep levels. I also appreciate and feel everything that you are saying. I admire your courage to share and offer a method for healing.

I don't understand some of the comments here – it would be a lot different if everyone would take, read, perceive, etc in a positive light and with their heart scale versus being suspicious.

Thanks Tanya
      regarding the comments – it's very challenging for people to accept that it's easy to change. Often we have a lot invested in staying the same. If we change, our relationships; work; family life, all changes too. It's hard for some people to accept…

39. [...] for the past 22 years, I am entitled to a few decades of pampering. I think it could even be a positive emotional development for me to devolve for a while. This personal growth shit is exhausting — and expensive. Let me [...]

40. [...] How healing / therapy / personal development just became super fast and easy! [...]

41. [...] above ‘quotes’ are comments in response to a single article that I originally published on Elephant [...]

42. Tammy says:

I am always interested in new healing modalities but I must say that the video on the link you including felt …fake/rehearsed. Whether it was or not of course I have no idea but it left me with that feeling and that makes me question the integrity of the website. You strike me as an honest man that truly wants to help/heal people as you have been healed. Intention is a big part of any healing method. I think there is so much we don't know about the human mind and body that we should always keep an open mind about such things. My advice to anyone with questions or doubts is to do your research of course and don't "sell the farm" to pay for such things but keep an open mind and in the end trust yourself to make the right decision.

Ps…I like your picture. You look intense but your shaggy hair adds a bit of fun and free spirit. Haha, not that it matters of course but just had to comment on it because of a previous comment.

Thanks Tammy!
      About the video – it's horrible if you ask me. But it's way old, and a new website is in the pipeline, and there'll be much better demos then i hope.
      RPT is truly amazing.
      Beb

43. Cat says:

Hi
    I dont know if this is something similar to what "The Journey" seminars teach but I just attended a 3 day workshop and dug up some pretty boring stuff that has been holding me back all my life!!! I got to experience with my own body what it feels like to be pure consciousness, it kind of feels wide open and sparkling and light WOW! at that moment I realised that "I am That" which means I am all and all is me….and that I dont need to put anything from the outside into myself to be connected- because I always have been and always will be! What a powerful realisation! it's one thing reading these things and then actually experiencing it… and the path of forgiveness is the path back to the light, wow, I am so glad I did that course and the best thing is, its not rocket science! I can do it with anyone and they can lead me through it, so it wont be a costly path…
    I was actually thinking about mentioning this when I read your article about the Thai girl with the black eyes…you can reach forgiveness with and from her on a soul level. Thanks for sharing the Love! x Cat and the Crazies

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Cat, sounds like an amazing journey (pardon pun). I'd be very interested to know if the shift is permanent. Come back in a week or so and let me know?
      Ben

44. Just reposted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Spirituality Homepage, in the hope of firing up some more readers into extreme angst, thereby giving you some customers :)) (just kidding :)

Braja Sorensen
    Lost & Found in India
    Editor, Elephant Spirituality
    Please go and "Like" Elephant Spirituality on Facebook

45. [...] I am not ashamed or embarrassed to share that with you. I want to shout it from the rooftops. Most important I want to share that I wish I had done it sooner. What events led me to therapy? [...]

46. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Absolutely. There are those with serious mental health problems who are probably beyond help. I don't see RPT as something that can help those people – but those people are relatively rare. They are also – in my opinion – very much the product of a society that is neurotic at it's core.
    And the intention behind my work (and RPT as a therapy) is to raise consciousness. So in the long run I do believe that as more and more people heal themselves, those exceptional cases will diminish.
    Thank you for your balanced comment. It's good to see that there are people in your field that put the work first – rather than simply trying to defend a methodology.

47. Monique says:

"Beyond help"?! Unbelievable.

48. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Yes. Of course.
    There are people who the mental health profession restrain (physically) and drug with cocktails of chemicals. You probably think that is helping them. I don't. But certainly my kind of therapy could not help them, and that is the point that I believe Brian (above) was making, and I was agreeing with.

49. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Thank you for the balanced response Cat.
    Look into RPT. I have the feeling you'd make a good Reference Point Therapist yourself.

50. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Beth. Absolutely – taking responsibility is key. Sounds like you've done some great work. Stay out the head, stay grounded, stay happy :)

51. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Laura,
    yes, the more I read this thread the more I too feel the need for therapy!!

52. Laura says:

:D

Great!! You haven't lost your sense of humour!!!

53. kim says:

"There are those with serious mental health problems who are probably beyond help."

I appreciate the "probably" but how, prey tell, would you know? What training or experience or education do you have in working with so called mentally ill populations? Better yet, who licenses you and bounds you to ethical norms and guidelines, teaches you to only offer treatments to people that have more than anecdotal evidence? What happens to people when they are harmed by you? What sort of recourse do they have? Since you claim you have the theory and the cure for everything REALLY FAST! (can you actually think of a more "western" idea than that BTW) what kind of outcome data do you keep on the people you treat and how do you know the people that you "cured" aren't having problems again in the future.

54. kim says:

Or, alternatively you can just label these people as "people RPT can't help" and conjecture about how few of them there must be in the world–in other words call them too sick, too pathological without having any awareness of ways is which you may have made them sicker without realizing it because of your lack of training and your lack of awareness about transferrence, countertransferrence and the more primitive dynamics your "great therapy" may be stimulating. In other words, if the therapy doesn't work, blame the patient.

55. kim says:

I can tell you I have seen the psychic pain that has been caused by people such as yourself and it is vast. Usually it happens when you realize you can't handle what's in front of you, you are in too deep, skyping to someone in Slovenia is not enough and then you reject and abandon the patient to someone, such as myself, who thank god, has the resources and the ability to clean up the mess you have made. Sometimes it happens because someone believes your uninformed crap and fails to get real treatment and thereby gets worse and feels shamed by needing that help because in their fragile suggestible state you have filled their mind with crap. I guess, the question is if you are so concerned with helping someone, why do you care about them believing your theory–which is really mere conjecture.

56. kim says:

You talk crap about medications without knowing anything, yes anything scientific about them, you talk crap about the rest of the profession that is in the trenches and you fragment and fracture fragile psyches in the process. But then why would you care to learn anything about medicine? Organic chemistry? Effort (ooh, bad!) Struggle (ooh bad!). Guess what, dude, skype and the arpa net and all the technology you use with the entitledness and lack of awareness of an infant to espouse your theories was developed by people who had the patience, the ability, the acumen and the stick-to-it-iveness to struggle with such things. And by the way, every conceivable thing on earth is a "chemical," i.e. has a chemical structure and engages in chemical reactions with the world around it.

57. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Kim, when you have had enough of living life 'in the trenches' you may find that there is much joy, love, and beauty to be experienced above ground. When you get to that point, feel free to contact me, because then I might be able to help you :)
    In the meantime, I wish you much luck with your wonderful work 'cleaning up imploded people' !!!
    With LOVE,
    'Stigma in Another Form'!

58. kim says:

Well, I find it interesting that rather than actually address any of the substantive points I raised you choose to talk about me, personally, condescend to me by implying you can "help" me and then answer your post with the "LOVE" (the tone of which your post obviously did not convey)

Are you this much of a stranger to yourself? Notice I did not call you a malignant narcissist bordering on a sociopath. Notice I did not say you bilk people out of money, capitalize on human suffering and stick yourself up on a mountain or whatever where you will never be accountable for the harm you cause. Notice I did not say that you are so infantile that you can't even psychologically imagine a world where you are not right. Thats because although the air certainly stinks of that around you, there's no way I could know that about you without actually knowing you, for some time.

59. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

You really are very aggressive and rude 'Kim'. It's easy to be that way anonymously on the internet isn't it?

60. integralhack says:

Good points. I also worry that RPT for people with real pathologies and chemical imbalances might do more harm than good. Hopefully Ben can recognize these cases and send them for appropriate medical care.

61. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Integral and RRD, thank you for your thoughtful and sincere comments. I'll answer your points –
    Integral,
    I think that chemical imbalances are symptomatic – I know that my chemical balance has changed very much as a result of my own self-development (for example); and I've had several clients whose chronic depression (often blamed on chemical imbalance) has disappeared after just one or a few sessions. I feel the same way about hormonal imbalance: When we change our consciousness, everything else changes with it – because consciousness is the essence or what we are.
    Of course you are right though – it's essential to be able to recognize if you can't help someone, and hopefully be able to send them in the right direction.
    RRD –
    RPT may not be a good fit for some people, but it is certainly not limited only to people who have "good emotional vocabulary and are in touch with their bodies". On the contrary, most of my clients are not that way (most *people* are not that way either). It is easier for me as a practitioner if someone has good emotional awareness; but it's not necessary. We have tools for guiding people to a better emotional awareness in fact, and with such a client that's often how I would begin.
    Also, while I understand your preference for the idea of long-term therapy, I must say that it is often counter-productive. I've seen many people who are in fact addicted to the therapy itself. This is a well known phenomenon.Telling and retelling their story only serves to strengthen it, and their attachment to it. I fear that in many cases people end up digging a kind of emotional 'trench' for themselves – they feel safe in their attachment to their 'story' and their therapy. This clinging to safety is actually the very essence of all our problems, and is what RPT is so perfectly able to remove. So I totally disagree with your last sentence in the first paragraph: we are not our problems. It should therefore be easy – once we are so inclined – to let them go, and become what we truly are – free.
    Finally, i don't mean to put down the mental health field really. I know of course that there are many good practitioners out there doing wonderful things (as is reflected in some of the above comments from mental health professionals and psychologists). I just wanted to specifically highlight the differences between what is possible with RPT and the 'slow-drip' approach you mention.
    Thanks again!
    Ben

62. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Anitra,
    I don't blame you for being skeptical – it's a big claim, and I would be too!
    I'm not sure I agree with your statement that in order for people to shift dramatically they need be supported. They needn't be supported, they simply need:
    a) to take responsibility for themselves, fully
    b) to be courageous enough to change (which essentially means to be prepared to let go of the ego / mind control.
    I agree fully with your final point – that there are many people / systems that are slowly emerging now to (together) push a new paradigm forward. If I tend to write in a bit of a 'partisan' style, it's partly because I need to present a point in a very clear way. You see, I have simply never seen anything as effective as RPT, and it would not be true to say that most other modalities are as good. Some, few, are. But really very few.
    With love, Ben