Get out of the book and into YOUR life.

Via on May 31, 2011
"Spiritual Rules" via Sergeev Pavel

“I am now receptive to the idea that a spiritual path is a heart-centered path that cannot be found in a book.”

Advice from…a book. Iyanla Vanzant‘s mantra in her May 27th entry from Until Today! Daily Devotions for Spiritual Growth and Peace of Mind challenges us to seek our own experience.

Intellectual spirituality will not save you. People often turn to the spiritual path in an attempt to find the deeper meaning of life. People usually look to things spiritual in order to gain a better understanding of things physical. The search may begin with a book or a seminar or a profound personal experience that leads to the reading of a book or attending some sort of gathering where things of a spiritual nature are discussed and explored. Usually what is read or what is heard strikes a chord somewhere deep in the inner self, and the person knows they are on to something. This on-to-something feeling usually results in the reading of more books, the attending of more seminars and a broadening of the search to discover more materials that will deepen the feeling of being on the spiritual path. It’s nice, and it may be fulfilling for a while, but ultimately it can become and intellectual, rather than spiritual experience.” –Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today! Daily Devotions for Spiritual Growth and Peace of MindYouTube Preview ImageDOING leads to the spiritual experience, the spiritual LIFE.  How do you DO?

About Clare Polencheck

Clare L. Polencheck is a yoga instructor and portrait photographer in Minnesota. With an open mind and eager heart, she strives to live and write from a Christian-Yogic spiritual perspective, and is humbled to share tidbits of her lessons as a teacher of asana, a student of her students, and a pupil of Universe. Learning to go with God’s flow is her goal and mantra.

353 views

7 Responses to “Get out of the book and into YOUR life.”

1. bethmorey says:

I can only "do" my Book if I spend time with other people. I don't think I (or anyone else) can be spiritual in a vacuum.

• yogiclarebear says:

Yes, but could my spiritual experience be found while vacuuming? I say YES! :)

• bethmorey says:

Haha I think so. Have you read The Practice of the Presence of God? It's by a monk who talks about how he experienced deep relationship with God during his day to day job of washing dishes for his brotherhood. One of my favorite books! :)

2. Eric says:

BETH! wonderful insight! there truly is no joy, pain, or growth in a vacuum.
    'the spiritual life is not a theory, it must be lived.' (~Bill W., from the Big Book of AA)
    blessings, E.

3. Abby says:

I agree on the vacuuming, as I think that spiritual enlightenment can only come when you're ready to be at peace in a certain situation and open to that freedom. For me, I might get a spark by reading something spectacular or insightful, but until I am open to receiving it and letting down my own walls I've created, it tends to simply float on the surface instead of soaking in.

I love that great writing and speaking and reading can motivate me to think in new ways. I just wish I could plan when my busy head would allow those bits and pieces from different things to create a sense of inner peace at a snap of my fingers. Only by getting out of the lives of others and into my own can I start and continue to work on this. Great post (as always) Clare!

4. www.aksescepat.com says: