1,000 feelings in 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Via on Jun 11, 2011

~ by Sue Jones

Normally I have a problem keeping my posts under 1,000 words.

The main reason is that I have so many feelings to express that truncating my posts seems damn near impossible.

Feelings are my business~my line of work. I work to help women trauma survivors understand that their bodies contain feelings and emotions that their conscious mind may not be aware of. It took two years of research and development to design this program and would take a 10,000+ word article to explain and provide the scientific research to those who are unaware of this idea of “emotional anatomy”. But if you are a skeptic (and even if you aren’t) watch this video now, and notice your body at about the :50 second mark:

Amazing right? What did you feel in your body? Where did you feel it? Those are your feelings or your emotions and they correspond with body sensations. If we want to be a healthy society, we need to learn to recognize this and allow ourselves to feel these sensations. Repressed emotions can lead to a continuous feedback loop of stress in our bodies. This feedback loop can lead to many unhealthy coping mechanisms~not to mention  all kinds of auto-immune diseases!

So go ahead people—watch this clip over and over. When we can recognize how our feelings show up in our bodies, we are on our way to better health.

About Suzanne Jones

Sue Jones, Founder and Executive Director of yogaHope has practiced yoga for over 15 years and is a leading voice in the subject of mind body practices for self regulation and personal empowerment. For the last six years Sue has trained, inspired and lead hundreds of volunteer yoga teachers who have donated their time in substance abuse rehabilitation centers, domestic abuse safe houses and homeless shelters for women. She dedicates much of her time to researching the effects of yoga and mindfulness practices on survivors of trauma and those suffering from traumatic stress response. Sue’s life and work have been profiled in Yoga Journal, The New York Times, Shape Magazine, Body + Soul Magazine, Martha Stewart Whole Living Magazine and on CNN Headline News.

28 Responses to “1,000 feelings in 1 minute and 30 seconds.”

1. Suzanne Jones Sue says:

totally. Bring on the waterworks :)

2. Sandy says:

Sue, i hope you write a book. I would read every one of your 10,000 words!! Thanks for everything you do. I’ve been following your work from afar as it’s running parallel to my own journey of working through intense PTSD from childhood sexual abuse and teenage sex work. Ive been away from that work for 13 years out but 2 years ago began experiencing flashbacks and major suicidal urges. It rocked my world that I thought was so stable and healthy. Out of nowhere. I had NO idea what trauma even was at that time. So it’s been an intense couple of years and I was floored when I recently learned of the Yogahope organiztion because when I began yoga in October it brought me some major breaking points which in conjunction with therapy have become breakthroughs. I experience intense emotions that come up in certain poses and bring me to tears and also orgasms. I’m embracing all of it but it’s been like exploring an island I’ve never been to, the whole healing process, and I appreciate knowing this is all kind of normal. But I’m so thirsty to learn more and your work just seems to hit it right on for me! So yes, please write a book! :)

• Suzanne Jones Sue says:

Hi Sandy,
      Thank you so much for your brave and honest comment. I know first hand how scary it can be to experience emotions and sensations that you can't quite "figure out". It's so crucial to have a safe place (ie. the yoga mat) in which you can allow that to happen, because that is the only path to true healing. Thanks for the encouragement to write a book..maybe I will :)

xo
      s

3. Tanya Lee Markul tanya lee markul says:

I couldn't agree more with this: Repressed emotions can lead to a continuous feedback loop of stress in our bodies. This feedback loop can lead to many unhealthy coping mechanisms~not to mention all kinds of auto-immune diseases!

It is so important for all of us to realise that emotional releases are necessary and they can actually happen in positive forms – yoga, dance, meditation, sports, hugs, you name it.

Thank you so much for this.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Assoc. Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

4. Meg Worden Meg Worden says:

You do incredible, valuable work in this world, Sue. Gorgeous.

5. kathy says:

wow, that was sure to have a physical response. I too have suffered from ptsd low immunity from anxiety and hypervigilance. Yoga saves my life every single day. Thank you Sue.

6. nancy says:

wow. I loved it!

7. Diane says:

Sue, this is simply fantastic and super powerful. The work you're doing around trauma is inspiring so many of us.

8. mindbodyspiritwithpatience says:

Thank you I am a master at repressing my emotions a skill I'd rather not have. I have been working with a guide and my meditation to open my heart to all feelings…The point is thank you for sharing this it sparked something(although uncomfortable) for me.

Your an amazing leader and if you get around to writing a book I will be in line to purchase it.
    _/|\_Namaste

• Suzanne Jones Sue says:

Thank you so much for your supportive comments. I would love to write a book and the encouragement to do so (here on Elephant Journal) is creeping me closer to that :) We're all in this together <3

9. [...] here is how to give a full-body hug to change: Photo: Loving [...]

10. [...] Being Yoga Conference at the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies in Rhinebeck, NY. to discuss her feelings around the importance of delivering yoga to at-risk populations affected by [...]

11. Junius says:

That was pretty awesome video Sue. As others have noted you do great work!

12. [...] Photo Credit – I have to say that I love, love, love this picture! [...]

13. [...] mantra don’t have any true impact on my state of being. But if I dig deeper, I know that the body-mind connection is undeniable. I know from my massage practice as well how connected our emotional and spiritual states are to our [...]

14. bobrannigan says:

Let's not forget men in this conversation. The physics of emotions are universal. Men generally suffer with underdeveloped emotional skills, coming out of cultural training to experience only certain emotions. Your message is extremely valuable for men as well, who suffer and regenerate emotional dysfunction without even knowing. Keep up the good work.

• Suzanne Jones sue says:

I agree! I hope to be piloting a group for men very soon. The men in our Haiti groups were extremely receptive.

15. Natasha says:

Successful ad. I will be wearing my seat belt from now on.

16. October says:

Incredibly good point! Amazing way to illustrate the sensations, and tie it into if we want to be a healthy society! You're 100% right.

17. nerfwarrior says:

I burst into tears, so I can't answer your question, as the answer seems mostly to be "my eyes". Must be that time of the month.

18. ohhooya says:

i am a bottle of emotions that still has the cork in it this vidio along with comments has at least encoraged me to search for a cork screw

19. MJC says:

Sue couldn't agree more. Love your work.

20. Lars says:

Amazing
    At first I thought the picture of the woman being hugged by the "word person" was the video because nothing else was loading. Strange how different levels of intimacy began to emerge in me as I watched and the image began to subtly shift. Really, I'm not on anything except maybe the dmt produced by my pineal gland.

21. Amy Evergreen says:

I couldn't breathe and I started crying…chest pain. WOW! I have PTSD and anxiety. Quite revealing!

22. Beautiful! This really touches me and opens my heart. And yes, tears began to roll at the 0:50 mark… ;)
    Thank you for sharing!

23. Gabe says:

Thank you. My spiritual journey is currently focused on opening up my heart to the pain and suffering I have felt so I can release it. These releases appear to be necessarily physical, somatic, body-bound, as much as they are emotional. Our bodies do hold so much emotional memory for us, and it is so helpful to receive reminders and validation of this. Thank you.