As we settle into autumn and the impending winter months, I consider how to bring more warmth into my home and for my children. We are often indoors for longer stretches of time, settle into our warm beds earlier in the evening and just like being extra cozy when we are indoors!
Here are a few ways to keep your children and yourself warm and cozy this dark season.
1. Layer Clothing – In the morning, dress your children in wool or silk undergarments. This extra layer will regulate body temperature and keep them comfortable throughout the day. If their little bodies don’t have to expend so much energy to keep warm, they will have more energy for their daily tasks. Wool socks and wool vests are great too!
2. Warm Breakfast – Prepare the night before and wake a few minutes early to cook a warm breakfast for your family. Sausage links, potato casserole, oatmeal, eggs, muffins, or french toast will give your little one a good start to her day.
3. Warm Lunch – Pack a thermos lunch with soup, warm root vegetables or warm tea with honey as an addition to other items. Add a little love note to your child.
4. Dinner by Candlelight – Lighting a candle is a fun as well as useful addition to the dinner table. Children can sing a simple verse as the candle is lit. When the candle is snuffed, this is the signal that she may leave the table.
Fire sprite, fire sprite
Share with us your golden light.
5. Bedtime Ritual – Simple evening rituals will help your child settle in to sleep. Play soothing music as teeth are brushed, give a foot or hand rub with soothing lotion or oil, light a candle during the evening story, end with a simple prayer of thanks for the day. And of course give them a hot water bottle!
How do you bring warmth to your family? Please share!
hot on elephant
The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. A Letter to my Children: You do not come from a Broken Home. These People are Rare Gems—Keep Them, Fight for Them, don’t Give Up on Them. Mom, can I Call her Mom, Too? Jon Stewart makes first appearance since retiring—”it’s not your country.” Waylon shares 10 transformingly beautiful Quotes about Love. My Marriage had to End—for my Life to Begin. Why your Yoga Goals are (Probably) Irrelevant, if not Downright Dangerous. The Day I Stopped Running. Dear Woman in the White Car at Margaritas Mexican Grill in West Memphis, Arkansas on July 15th, 2012.