As we settle into autumn and the impending winter months, I consider how to bring more warmth into my home and for my children. We are often indoors for longer stretches of time, settle into our warm beds earlier in the evening and just like being extra cozy when we are indoors!
Here are a few ways to keep your children and yourself warm and cozy this dark season.
1. Layer Clothing – In the morning, dress your children in wool or silk undergarments. This extra layer will regulate body temperature and keep them comfortable throughout the day. If their little bodies don’t have to expend so much energy to keep warm, they will have more energy for their daily tasks. Wool socks and wool vests are great too!
2. Warm Breakfast – Prepare the night before and wake a few minutes early to cook a warm breakfast for your family. Sausage links, potato casserole, oatmeal, eggs, muffins, or french toast will give your little one a good start to her day.
3. Warm Lunch – Pack a thermos lunch with soup, warm root vegetables or warm tea with honey as an addition to other items. Add a little love note to your child.
4. Dinner by Candlelight – Lighting a candle is a fun as well as useful addition to the dinner table. Children can sing a simple verse as the candle is lit. When the candle is snuffed, this is the signal that she may leave the table.
Fire sprite, fire sprite
Share with us your golden light.
5. Bedtime Ritual – Simple evening rituals will help your child settle in to sleep. Play soothing music as teeth are brushed, give a foot or hand rub with soothing lotion or oil, light a candle during the evening story, end with a simple prayer of thanks for the day. And of course give them a hot water bottle!
How do you bring warmth to your family? Please share!
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 526 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 9 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 28 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,543 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 6,321 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 699 shares How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,504 share These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,152 share For the Women who are Trying to Do & Be Everything to Everyone. 3,031 shares