Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?

Via Ben Ralston
on Nov 25, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

Editor’s note: given the controversial and personal nature of this post, it seems necessary to remind readers that we do not and can not endorse views or opinions of our many writers as representative of elephant as a whole. Generally, we do not support “advertorial” (which this article has been accused of being—whether or not it is in in the eye of each reader)—but in any case given the valuable discussion below, that has managed to be mostly respectful and helpful, I thank Ben for putting himself out there. Comments that are critical or positive are equally welcome; personal or disrespectful comments will be deleted. ~ Waylon Lewis, ed.

Profound healing.

Last night I gave a presentation near Ljubljana.

Nataša came.

I barely recognized her, but as soon as she said her name I knew which Nataša it was.

I’d met her 18 months ago, just the once. She came to me for a single healing session. The email she sent me afterwards has been on my website as a testimonial ever since.

She’d been suffering from depression and (to put it mildly) ‘dark thoughts’ for most of her life.

Despite seeking help from multiple doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, and healers, nothing and no one had been able to help her.

When she came to me she had also been having serious problems with her thyroid and was due surgery to have it removed. That was actually the catalyst that led her to me.

The result of that single session:

total transformation

No more depression, and no need for surgery – normal thyroid function.

The email she sent me after the session said this:

“My son never wanted to cuddle me before… now he’s constantly cuddling up next to me, and the light in his eyes when he looks at me says it all.

Thank you.”

18 months later her thyroid is still fine, and she is still free of depression.

One. Single. Session.

I get that, really I do. Everywhere we look people are trying to sell us something.

And as the son of an advertising executive I’m particularly sensitive to it – the very, very last thing I want to do is come across like that, believe me!

But the thing is, it’s just not about me.

It’s about this wonderful, miraculous therapy: profound healing that actually works (on the causal level), permanently.

Your essence is pure, perfect consciousness. As such you are divine. Yoga calls this Satchitananda (pure being, consciousness, and bliss).

This is why it is easy and fast to heal almost anything. We are meant to be healthy and happy. It is our birthright. And whatever is blocking our experience of that perfection is easy to let go of, because it’s not really who we are.

In love,

Ben

For another (short video) demonstration of what is possible in just one session, see my blog Grounded Spirituality, here.

Please share this information as widely as you can. Help to change the world outside, one person at a time,  from within.

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston is a therapist, healer, advanced Sivananda Yoga teacher, and writer. His writings have been read by millions of people and can be found on Elephant Journal, Rebelle Society, and various other portals online. He has been teaching Yoga for 16 years in hotels, ashrams, beaches, gyms and rooftops worldwide. And he runs a busy international therapeutic practice from his home in rural Croatia. Offering sessions in person or via Skype, his therapeutic work is based on healing trauma, and the tools he uses for this are varied – mainly RPT, Shamanism, and energy work. He has also developed some of his own methods, particularly in the area of abuse trauma; ‘resource state’ awareness; and boundary reconstruction. He regularly runs retreats combining Yoga and other energetic exercises with his therapy. He would love nothing more than to see you on one of these retreats, since he believes that this approach to personal development is really the only effective way of bringing love and peace to global human society. Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his new website with integrated blog! Yes, he's excited about that :)

Comments

125 Responses to “Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?”

1. Jeanette Dunphy says:

Have just had my thyroid removed because of nodules presenting with possible cancer. I find this story very alarming!!!
    Fully trained medical professionals are the only people you should allow to treat you if you present with a serious medical condition.
    If I'd let it go, trying alternative healing, who knows where I would be in 6 months time. Dead or dying.

• Ben_Ralston says:

I replied to you already on FB Jeanette, but I'll just re-iterate here for anyone else reading:
      The client in the above article has had regular medical check-ups, and to this day she has a healthy thyroid function.

• yogijulian says:

you have absolutely no basis for asserting a causal connection. anecdotal evidence is very weak. you are on shaky ground. be careful not to start claiming you can cure cancer – you may end up (rightly so) in the slammer.

• Ben_Ralston says:

Julian, my basis for asserting a causal connection is that this lady had 20 yrs worth of clinical depression that was not helped by many, many people. She felt a shift in the session I did with her, and she has not looked back.
          She knows that it was my work that helped her, so does her husband, and so do I.

You display great arrogance and disrespect to continually and repetitively comment in this negative way on my posts, encouraging people on your Facebook page to do so too. Really, you should look to yourself why it is that you feel the need to do so!

• While I have never had treatments with Ben, I have been treating my Hashimoto's Thyroid (with nodules) with a combination of western (synthroid replacement) and holistic treatments: acupuncture, Reiki, nutritional therapy. I can tell you that while the synthroid has kept the thyroid at an even, balanced level (versus the hypo state I was in before), I've seen even more dramatic improvement since having alternative healing and changing my diet (cutting out gluten completely). I also know of several women who have completely turned around their thyroid dysfunction (nodules and all) by 100% holistic methods (predominantly diet). The thyroid dysfunction (and nodules) come as a result of our bodies being out of balance. With alternative healing therapies we can often put our bodies back into balance. Of course some therapies work better for some than others, which is why we all have to find the right balance for ourselves. As I've said I'm using a combination of western medicine and alternative healing, but my goal is to get my thyroid fully back into balance holistically so that I can wean myself off of the synthroid- as many of my friends have done, I can do this with the oversight of my western doctor who will test my blood and thyroid levels all along the way. The proof is in the pudding.

2. __MikeG__ says:

I agree with Jeanette, this is the kind of post that potentially can get people killed. There is a reason why people who sell this kind of magical thinking rely on personal testimony. Personal testimony is not proof. I have seen people who personally testified that they have been abducted by aliens and anally probed.

These kinds of claims always fall down when subjected to rigorous study. If Jeanette's precancerous thyroid modules really could have been healed by one session of talking then those kind of results can reliably be reproduced in a scientific study. As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". You only have half of that equation covered.

• yogijulian says:

exactly mike. i am in the mind/body healing world too – have been for almost 20 years, and if i had a dime for evey person claiming miraculous healing based on one anecdote i could buy a wheatgrass farm!

making a causal connection between your anecdotal/testimonial claim and the remission of some kind of documented disease would be a massive big deal, being able to repeat it and demonstrate the efficacy of an alternative approach would be game changing on a global level.

too many in our field want to make grandiose claims of new paradigm, quantum, causal total transformation etc…. the thing is mind/body, alternative therapies do work much of the time, especially for conditions that are stress related, biomechanical, psychosomatic etc….and they are also very, very enriching on the level of well being, personal integration, healing trauma etc… there is enough goodness going on without making outlandish and self-aggrandizing claims based on insufficient evidence. this just make you, ben – and indeed all of us look like we're selling snake oil.

also my friend – this will bite you in the ass, because this piece will most likely get you a bunch of desperate clients with intractable conditions and your actual success rate with them will be predictably quite low, which will humble you – just please, please don't blame it on their lack of desire to heal or some such.

all the best – i am sure you are doing good work, just don't let it go to your head – and don't overstep your bounds into medical territory without really solid methods, repeatable evidence and good sense of humility in the face of serious diseases.

• Joe says:

I really like this eloquent and reasoned response. It would be wrong to think that all of us who are skeptical are totally dismissive of mind/body healing, so thank you for bringing those elements into it.

3. yogijulian says:

this is very irresponsible.

4. yogijulian says:

what happened to my two comments?!

Don't worry, all 3 of your comments are here 🙂
      Nothing you said 'bites me in the ass'. I hear you.
      I also cringe at most of the healers and healing methods out there professing 'miracles' with very dubious evidence. They almost always work only on the level of symptoms, and often do more harm than good.
      There's a great deal of bullshit. But just because I'm also reporting amazing results, doesn't mean I'm also bullshitting.
      You assume that (like them) my success rate is also low. It's close to 100% Julian! I'll tell you how this is possible:

We know everything we need to know to heal:

1. The cause of all our problems is trauma.
      2. How to find that trauma.
      3. And how to heal it.
      The only other key to genuine, profound healing is that the client takes full responsibility for their problems (this is the biggest and hardest part, and we know how to bring the client to take greater responsibility when necessary, by using our technique to work on secondary gain.)
      Our focus on Secondary gain, epigenetics, and the biological development as opposed to 'past lives' are what makes the therapy that I practice unique and practicable, and highly, highly effective.

With love.

• yogijulian says:

ben i have worked with trauma in myself and others for the last 15 – 20 years in various ways. i agree with you that doing the trauma work is key – and am sure you have learned great tools for doing so – i applaud you!

what i said would bite you in the ass was that a self-promoting post like this will draw people desperate for total transformation and to find the secret key you promise – but i predict you will not have a high success rate with serious disease.

claims about accessing quantum healing or epigenetics or the nonsensical theta healing which claims "to go in and alter your brain" by getting you into a theta state usually smack of pseudoscience charlatanism – which is a shame because you may be onto something substantive and effective here – i know at the very least you are sincere…

the problem with making claims of being able to cure diseases that where medical science has failed is a) you need a more scientific basis for this claim to be valid and b) you are setting up unrealistic expectations in a desperate sector of the population – this is something that could be seen as a highly unethical opportunism viz profiting on the sick.

• Ben_Ralston says:

Sorry! I totally misread your 'bite in the ass' paragraph.

I see where you are coming from with that now, and I understand your perspective. But I don't really see a difference between diseases – serious and not. What is serious? What is 'not serious'?

That is a perspective of fear, and I'm afraid I don't really share it. All diseases are just things that we can learn from in my opinion. And I don't believe that all can be healed, or that all are meant to be – but that doesn't make me feel that they are serious. If anything, the opposite, no? If something is unchangeable (like death) then we should really not take it too seriously at all!

You are right – I am onto something, and I am sincere. So why not listen instead of immediately making assumptions about 'pseudoscience charlatanism'. Perhaps my sincerity and 'onto-something-ness' are enough. Perhaps you, despite your great experience, could learn something?

As for your last paragraph – i don't worry about appearances anymore. I am unafraid of your, or anyone else's, judgement. What you 'see' in my writing, or my work generally, is up to you. I would hope that you have enough discernment to see past your prejudices, but if not, then it doesn't affect me in the slightest.

One more thing: I don't work with 'desperate' people. If someone does not take responsibility for their situation (I assume that's what you mean by desperation) then I can't help them. But that doesn't happen often, because I can usually get them to take responsibility (by working on the secondary gain of not taking responsibility), and then I am able to help them. In the rare cases where I get someone clearly unwilling to do so, I don't work with them. 80€ for mission impossible is not my idea fun.

• yogijulian says:

you should take the counsel of another ben – a countryman of yours:

• yogijulian says:

this is not about judgment appearances or open mindedness ben, it's about grounding and ethics and knowing that it is a massive step into very loaded territory to claim to be able to heal serious chronic disease.

your comments about "seriousness" are sophomoric and immature – as are your statements about healing etc…

you have a long way to go, sir.

• Ben_Ralston says:

Perhaps Julian, or perhaps the ways we are both going are just very different.
            I wish you peace, love, and simplicity – wherever and however you are going.

• Becky says:

Ben's comments about seriousness are rather philosophic and make perfect sense to me (and a lot of other people). What is serious and what is 'not serious' makes perfect sense to be a matter of perspective, fear-based perspective vs. love-based perspective.

Thanks Becky 🙂

• yogijulian says:

nonsense.

5. Louise Brooks says:

Beware anecdotal stories of successful miraculous healing. Anecdotes are not science.

• Ben_Ralston says:

And science is forever proving it's own past mistakes. Right?

• yogijulian says:

ben i implore you to take in the very well stated, neutral and grounded feedback you are getting about what constitues responsible statements about the ability to heal/cure/transform intractable medical conditions. don't go down some relativist road of invalidating science as away to rationalize a simple mistake you are making here.

Julian,
          You are making assumptions about me here that are simply inaccurate. You need not 'implore' me or worry about my 'mistakes'. It's all under control!
          With love,
          Ben

• yogijulian says:

just take note for later of who is trying to talk sense to you and who is supporting you on this one ben…

6. yogijulian says:

ben i wouldn't have commented here unless i liked you and respected your other posts – i think yo will find that chelsea, jeannette and mike feel the same.

we have all been very clear about what is alarming and potentially damaging and unethical about this – you have not taken it seriously.

at a certain point i started reflecting back that this was the typical hubris of someone fairly new to an alternative healing practice – i stand by this, and in time i think you may agree.

your statements about science, healing and whether or not certain diseases are serious are very cavalier and ungrounded.

no offense, i wish you only the best.

No offense taken Julian.
      I have been thinking, and I want to suggest something to you: a conversation! I would like to talk to you (via Skype or similar) and explain how what I do works. The reason: I believe that I could change your perception of what I'm doing. Either way, I believe we would both learn something.
      We could even record the conversation (I have the software for that) and it might be very interesting viewing for readers of EJ and our blogs. What do you say?

• yogijulian says:

as of right now this just looks like more of your snake oil self-promoting strategy to reach more people and make more money.

also: having looked into "reference point therapy" i now feel that claiming to work with trauma is an irresponsible act on your part too. this approach is nice enough and probably has some benefit, but it is a cheesy new agey marketing scheme set up by a young fresh faced aussie who claims to be able to teach you to master miracles.

give me a break.

Julian.

I have really had enough now of your nonsense.

You already told me this yesterday (that you refuse my offer of a respectful dialogue). So clearly your comment above: "i would rather not expose you to my readership, email list and FB contacts in the early stages of you irresponsibly building your practice through unethical claims.
          demonstrate that you have understood the cautions and eloquent criticisms offered by many here and i would consider it."…
          is intended for my readers. This betrays your insincerity.

You judge RPT on it's founders fresh faced looks. And the fact that he's Australian. Wow. Congratulations, I hope you have much success in life with that attitude.

And now please, if you don't like my posts, no problem. Don't read them, don't comment on them, and don't encourage your Facebook 'friends' to do so either. I will pay you the same respect.

• yogijulian says:

fair enough.

the deeper i have looked into what you are claiming and where it is coming from the more i find that mine and other's concerns about this post are actually dead on – your lack of willingness/ability to take in the feedback and consider what was very kindly and clearly pointed out make it even more clear.

you are on a path of claiming to be able to perform miracles – and anyone in our field should speak up about the problems with this….

my advice: listen carefully to the criticism (if not mine then others here) and consider that this may be a wake up call to fine tune a little here – move away from claiming the miraculous (which appears to be the rule rather than the exception in this RPT zeitgeist) move away from pretending that you have found a trauma treatment that can do in 30 seconds what poor psychotherapists might take 5 years to do, and just stake out some good territory for being a sincere healer who holds space for others and is sometimes able to be a catalyst for good results.

i don't mean to take it into personally insulting territory, my apologies.

you are right i have a stake in all this – i am part of the alternative healing community and i feel that "techniques" like RPT that make outrageous claims and purport to teach miracles give the rest of us a bad name and perpetuate scams and charlatanism that in the end rip people off by giving false hope and preying on desperation.

this is not about you or the founder of RPT personally, it is about the ethics of our community.

when you publish a piece like this you open yourself up to criticism and scrutiny – my only hope is that a crack will appear in your grandiosity and you will take to heart some of the sincere concerns expressed here.

if/when you are ready to move into more substantive territory – there are wonderful alternative healing methods that don't veer into such territory, like somatic experiencing, EMDR, and others…

that's it – i am done. (except to say for the record that i never told anyone on FB to come and comment on your post!)

peace to you ben.

7. Tanya Lee Markul says:

Hi Ben. I'd really like to hear more about your technique and how it was that you were able to heal this woman – it would have been interesting to know where you are coming from.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

8. elephantjournal says:

Ben, I've edited the title to sound less "advertorial"—which we just can't do on this site. It now reads: "Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?"

I thank you and Julian, Chelsea or having a strong yet respectful debate. Let's just make sure our motives are clear—to communicate and be of benefit (and if clients are magnetized to such, great) not to sell, first.

~ Waylon

Absolutely Way.
      My entire motivation for writing this was to promote an amazing modality – I am surprised to meet such a strong feeling in so many people thinking that I am actually doing the thing I wanted least to do!
      But I have re-read the article, and I don't find anything in it that is advertorial, so I stand by it entirely.
      I personally think it would be more 'unethical' to *not* tell people about this incredible tool that helps us heal trauma rapidly and permanently – especially in the light of recent scientific research that suggests that trauma is the cause of ALL our problems.
      This work is helping to shift global consciousness. That's how strongly and passionately I feel about it, and so I won't stop shouting it out there – regardless of how some people take it.
      Thanks for your unbiased support Way, I appreciate it.
      Ben

• elephantjournal says:

Well, the title was advertorial. But titles often are "sexy" and draw readers into serious articles that otherwise would magnetize little worthy attention.

The use of superlatives as adjectives is dangerous: healing in one session, rapidly, permanently, amazing…the use of ALL CAPS. The writing is personal and passionate, and that's great. ~ Waylon

9. __MikeG__ says:

Ben- The very definition of magical thinking is believing in magic. You are playing irresponsible games with peoples lives when you make them believe your medicine man theatrics have healed a real malady.

Once again I challenge you and the others who posted to submit claims of magical healing to submit those claims to critical scrutiny. No more unsubstantiated 2nd and third party anecdotes. No more raising straw man arguments when people challenge your magic. If your claims are true then this "technique" will prove itself to be verifiable, quantifiable and repeatable.

And to repeat:

Your claim is that one session of talking will heal physical conditions. Talking. Just talking. No advanced techniques such as throwing bones or howling at the moon are required. Just talking.

But let's be honest, this post was a thinly disguised marketing ploy to sell magical healing. Science is not an enemy of truth, but science is an enemy of ignorance and charlatans.

• Ben_Ralston says:

Mike – You think that talking cannot heal the body, because you don't understand that the body is a physical, material expression of consciousness.
      Furthermore, you are afraid of the possibility that everything you have been led to believe (all your social conditioning) is wrong.
      And rather than have the courage to investigate that possibility, you simply lash out and brand any suggestion of it as 'magical thinking'.
      I am also opposed to 'magical thinking', though I know you will find that hard to believe. I don't like people to give their power to people who 'read' their cards, or tell them about their 'past lives', or try to 'give' them more 'bio-energy'. I am opposed to any kind of healing that is not firmly rooted in a grounded and deep understanding of what it is to be human.

But magical thinking, and magic, are not the same. When you start believing again in magic, then we can talk. Until then, really there is nothing I can say to you except – open your eyes and see through your fear. There is a beautiful, magical, wonderful world around you (starting with your body) that cannot be understood only through logic and reason.

You are consciousness expressing itself in many ways – physical, emotional, energetic, mental… but you are not those expressions. You are what is being expressed.

By talking we are able to tap into the source, but it's not the only way.

Anyway, I wish you luck and love!

Ben

• yogijulian says:

blogger please!

• __MikeG__ says:

You do not know me and you have no clue as to my "fear" or how my consciousness is expressing itself. Stop pretending you have any idea what I think and what I fear. Those kind of comments are desperate and completely transparent.

The reason I lashed out and branded your ridiculous posts as magic thinking is that your posts are ridiculous and are magical thinking.

The only apology I have to make you is referring to you as a clown. For that I do apologize. I am personally chagrined because I make it a point of pride to refrain from ad hominem attacks.

But every other word I wrote I stand behind 100%.

AND AGAIN:

I challenge you to back up your words with proof. Stop with the straw man and unsubstantiated claims. If you can heal disease by talking then it should be extremely easy to prove. And such proof would be the greatest medical break through EVER. Good luck with that.

Here is my fear. At worst you are going to get someone killed. At best, you are beliefs are nothing more than ungrounded superstition. We as a species will never reach our potential until we sweep away delusion, ignorance, bigotry and greed (and ad hominem attacks).

• Ben_Ralston says:

Mike, you're obviously a nice guy with good intentions.

It's a nice idea to 'back up claims with proof', but how? Give some thought to that, and if you can come up with a time / cost effective way of actually doing it, I'll have a go! I'm not a research academy! I'm one guy, working alone. The kind of research you suggest takes time and money. And even then, skeptics would find ways to pick holes in it!

Let's just agree to disagree, because you know, you don't like my work, and that's fine. You'd probably feel better just not coming back and reading it anymore, and I know I can't convince you that I'm not whatever it is you think I am, so…

Oh, and make sure you read the comment below this one (Becky). It's got your name on it.

• __MikeG__ says:

Peace offering accepted. But Ben, I will always challenge ideas I find to be dangerous or illogical. But I can guarantee to you that I will never, under any circumstances, resort to name calling again. I thank you for that lesson.

• Becky says:

I didn't see the article as advertorial at all. Rather, Ben sharing a truth, a modality that genuinely helps heal people. A modality that is so simple, direct, and effective, that it still blows my mind in a very beautiful way. To not share this information would be sad, or as Ben puts it, unethical.

One session of talking can heal physical, mental or emotional conditions. It may take a second session. It varies with each person. I struggled with anger, anxiety, and suspicion for years. I mean years. I'm laughing about this now, because through one session with Ben, it went away. I tried years of talking to psychologists and reiki healers, and even two years on an anxiety medication from a psychiatrist, and none of it permanently healed my 'stuff'. One session with Ben did. I'm thankful Ben talks about his modality in his articles. It's how I found him. It's how I was able to heal.

As a result of this healing, I also share in Ben's enthusiasm about sharing RPT. It would be unethical not to. I plan on studying RPT in the future with a goal to also share to others about this truthful modality. I hope Ben never stops talking about it in his writings. I hope Ben keeps reporting his results.

Mike, aren't you curious? Do you have the courage to investigate, to challenge yourself to explore RPT first rather than denigrate that which is unknown to you (which, by the way, is a fear-based motivation.) You might be surprised.

• Ben_Ralston says:

Thank you Becky, that means a lot to me. What you wrote is actually very beautiful to me. Thank you.
        And anyone doubting this can see Becky speaking to me in a video on my blog recorded last week.
        Much love.

• Becky says:

Much, much gratitude to you Ben, for you and your work. These debates are certainly fun reads. Peace, love, and blessings to all participating.

10. dave says:

Waylon, perhaps rather than censor or edit testimonial based healing stories , Elephant can publish a sidebar accompaniment which gives bullet point guidelines for assessing therapies and techniques based on multiple criteria such as transparency, reproducability, etc., so as to give readers more tools for evaluating information.

11. Jerry says:

Steve Jobs tried alternative medicine for his cancer and some claim it killed him by not getting early medical treatment. Not sure why Elephant allows this thinly disguised ad for his services. Can't find anything on the author's website that leads me to believe that this is some huckster trying to drum up business.

12. yogijulian says:

here's the source of all this. he gives me the creeps:

• Ben_Ralston says:

It would be more accurate to say that you have the creeps, and something is triggering them in you!
      Obviously, something here is triggering a LOT in you Julian, judging by your incessant, negative, bitter comments. 20 or so of them!

• __MikeG__ says:

I'm with you Julian. Ben and Becky, instead of actually backing up their posts, are reduced to attacking your "agenda" and labeling your comments as "negative and bitter". These are the exact same kind of responses I see from others who want to hold on to laughable belief systems. So, to hold on to laughable belief systems they make laughable arguments.

• Becky says:

Mike, the truth was all I had to give as a backup. 🙂 What else can be given other than the truth. Peace and blessings to you.

13. yogijulian says:

i am done – you haven't heard a word.

14. Ben_Ralston says:

A comment from Facebook:

Still Ninetyninepercent Vince:
    I'm baffled at how outraged or annoyed people are at this possiblity of healing??? If it works on people, great, let's celebrate that. Why would anyone have a method that works on a majority of clients yet keep it to themselves, just to make sure they don't 'annoy' the masses who can't seem to think beyond western answers? Acupuncture and massage have been around for thousands of years. Qigong and energy work, even longer. India has been using Tantric work, Prana breathing and releasing of the Kundalini for thousands of years that has worked on millions of people, yet it is 'irresponsible' to bring it up? I feel that a country that relies on remedies for illnesses based on PROFIT margin is much more offensive to bring up in mixed company.
    Healing oneself through means other than taking another cortizone shot or popping another antidepressant is a lot like gay marriage…if you don't like it, don't do it, but why tell everyone else how wrong they are as well?

I have a doctor in town who insists on meeting me, because I've kept over ten of his patients from having to get surgery. He doesn't want to meet me because he's outraged or annoyed, he wants to meet me because his role as a healer is to help others any way possible, and if seeing me means their not having to go through surgery and physical therapy, he's more than happy to embrace whatever is possible. This is where the bridges are gong to be made, when those who believe in only one way, are willing to embrace they may not be the ONLY way, and perhaps face whatever fear they have. Something tells me a lot of people in this world are 'outraged' and 'annoyed' that an entire civilization is willing to pop a pill or take a shot, rather than find the TRUE reason for the illness and take care of the ACTUAL problem. If you really think about how we handle medical issues in this country, is fairly baffling…and pretty ridiculous.

elephantjournal.com Yes Vince, this is it. Fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of change, fear of taking responsibility for their own power, fear of finding out that their social conditioning may just have been all wrong, and now they have to rethink. Or just think! ~ Ben Ralston

15. Valerie Carruthers says:

It's not like you're out there alone, Ben, even if you're being singled out for your views. The capacity and potential for dramatic healing within the bodymind complex have been documented and discussed by such leaders in holistic health as Carolynn Myss and Dr. Andrew Weil. Without the work of Ms. Myss and her former partner Dr. Norm Shealy, the formalized practice of medical intuition would not have come into being. Dr. Weil has written of dramatic transformations in his bestselling book "Spontaneous Healing," which is based on the concept of the body's innate healing abilities that can work, in his view, regardless of whether there is an outside stimulus. He also discusses how because of the ways that allopathic medicine is taught and practiced that the "healing model" vs the "treatment model" faces so many challenges in our society. That's why, in a nutshell, your claims about RPT are regarded as too good to be true.

Whether RPT is the healing powerhouse you purport only time will tell.

16. Sarah says:

"Sometimes people accuse me of narcissistic self-promotion, self-aggrandizement, and writing that reads like advertising." Your BS is so busted

17. Jade Doherty says:

Oh my! I’ve rewritten this comment so many times trying to properly articulate everything.

Ben, I do think it sounds a bit advert-y and that using words like ‘miraculous’ is a bit emotive, but at the same time, so what? If what you’re talking about works and has a transformative impact on people’s lives clearing issues that they hadn’t been able to clear, then I don’t see what the problem is.

This is kind of difficult because the argument doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. On the one hand there are people who are sceptical of what you’ve written and (as far as I can tell; correct me if I’m wrong) haven’t worked with this modality before, and someone who teaches it, is very involved in it and thinks it’s the best thing since sliced bread, meaning that the argument is just going round in a ‘yes-no-yes-no’ circle.

And whilst I totally believe that what you’re saying is possible and have experienced huge shifts of awareness and changes from working with healers I'm most definitely a believer , having not worked with you I’m not in a position to make an educated and informed comment or criticisms of what you’re saying you can do, but equally feel like I just have to take your word for it as I have no way of knowing if it’s true, though I could book a session to satisfy my curiosity. This makes it difficult for an informed debate to occur as neither side can get through to the other.

What you write, for me, comes across as being a bit self promotional when you say things like ‘it’s about this wonderful, miraculous therapy that actually works’. The ‘actually’ makes it sound like ‘all others don’t work, but this one actually does’, but equally your use of words doesn’t negate what you do and it would be unfair to judge a healing modality on how you write about it.

Also, it would be great if other people shared their experiences of healing, as practitioners or clients, as healing is, in my opinion, an under represented topic on EJ.

Hi Jade,
      Agreed on many counts. One thing – you read the 'actually' right. Because many, many other healing techniques don't get to the bottom of things. Sorry, but it's true.
      Recommend you read Becky's comment above (buried in amongst the mire I'm afraid, but you'll find it).
      Love

ps – I'll save you some digging:

Becky · 3 hours ago

18. samian says:

It’s a shame that Elephant lacks standards to allow garbage like this to be posted. It really taints the other posts and writers. Seems like the editors fell asleep on this one.

• I am a write for Elephant and I do not feel like it taints other writers. Everything is here for us to learn from. These replies are an opportunity for people to learn from – how we interact with one another, what we say/write. How we express ourselves when we agree/disagree.

• *meant to say – I write for Elephant or I am a writer…

• elephantjournal says:

Samian, you seem to think we're doing journalism here at elephant. I wish.

Journalism requires editors, which we don't have. We do have wonderful volunteer editors, but their purview does not include established columnists such as Ben. That is my responsibility and I accept any blame for this article/advertorial–but as I said in a prior comment I think the comments, with a few exceptions, have added so much to this that the Web 2.0 nature of the internet has made this situation into an opportunity for learning and dialogue.

You're talking about journalism, where there's articles and editors and writers (who get paid) and an office…we have none of that. We are you. You are elephant. Journalism requires subscriptions and advertising and newsstand sales or the online equivalent. Instead of theistic criticism of an grassroots (ie, by us for us) organization, contribute! It's more fun that complaining, and more effective.

• Philly says:

I'm glad you explained all that because I always thought EJ has some of the worse writing out there. Glad you are not deluded that this is journalism.

19. Petra says:

Wooow Ben, great job! I see and feel that you have triggered a lot of negative emotions in people. It makes me a bit sad, that people don't see that you are just a mirror for their own frustrations, fears, doubts maybe jealousy or envy??…
    I KNOW that you do a great job and I'm HAPPY that you spread the word of your work and RPT. The world needs it more than ever…

Someone wise once said:
    “if you are really effective at what you do, 95% of the things said about you will be negative. Keep your head on straight, don’t get emotional, take the heat, and just make sure your clients are smiling.”
    And another wise man, Einstein said:
    ""The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

love Petra

• Perfect, Petra. I agree with that re: Ben being a mirror for others…. and I love your Einstein post and plan to use it on my FB page today. Thank you.

• Becky says:

Me too, re: Ben as a mirror (well said) and really like Petra's quotes (going to add to my fb quote list 🙂 especially the 95% one because Ben the simple fact is you're VERY good at what you do. You master it. The results of your work will speak for itself. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK BEN!!! This debate has been fabulous and electric and inspiring and lol, what a great start to the week! Wooo hooo!

20. lovepaintingrainbows says:

This is only dangerous if you are living in fear. I have personally witnessed several people be cured of serious illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, and colon disease. I agree that there is a time and place for doctors, surgery, and medicine. However, so many of us (especially in the Western World) have forgotten, like he said, who we really are. Deep down beyond the soul lives The Spirit. We can access that Spirit and do miraculous things, which in reality shouldn't be that miraculous. Jesus came to teach that, as did many other prophets. When fear is driving anyone, Love cannot do it's job. Release the fear and you will experience Love like you never have before. It is hard sometimes, but just try to find the divinity in every single person you come across. Even the ones who make you so mad or hurt or sad. That is real Love. And it will set you free.

21. Jeff Krouk says:

"A third function of Iodine in the human body relates to clear thinking. The mind simply works better when the body is supplied the iodine it needs."
    The Usefulness of Iodine by Dr. D. C. Jarvis http://www.lugols.com

22. Priscilla Wood says:

So much fear in these comments. When it comes to energy I try to keep an open mind and let it to its job. It may not be the conventional way we do things but it could be the gateway to find real healing from the inside. I think most diseases/disorders are symptoms of deeper issues, they only happen to manifest in our physical body so why so judgmental?

23. Judy says:

Where's Bob?

• Hi, Judy. I'm here reading along with everyone else.

I have strong personal views on this, but in this case I prefer to let the debate play out without trying to influence it.

Thanks for asking about me, though!

Bob

24. Ben_Ralston says:

Nice comment Alli, but actually I do have a choice. I don't have to defend myself, as you'll see from many of the most negative and reactionary comments above – I choose just to ignore them, because they're not worthy of my time.

I chose to enter into a debate with Julian, and to an extent Mike, but when it became clear that they were only interested in branding everything I said as 'magical thinking', (whilst simultaneously accusing me of not listening to them!!) then I also chose to opt out of that one too. And I let them have the last word, which seemed to be important to them.

There is so much ego at play here. And often the people who call themselves 'yogis', and who work in the world of healing, are the most egotistical. It's a dangerous trap – you stand in front of people and are immediately in a position of power. Dangerous because, it's not your power. It's the power of the person standing in front of you, and you are stealing it from them.

My work is about the opposite though: empowering others. I don't see other people as vulnerable, I see them as pure potential. And I see my work as simply allowing that potential to burst forth, by releasing the subconscious blockages caused by trauma. It's a very beautiful, fulfilling, and enlightening work, and that's my only motivation really. And that's part of what's alive inside of me.

Thanks for asking interesting questions 😉

25. Peter says:

Fake therapies like RPT crop up every couple of years until they are closed down by lack of business when people realize what a bunch of BS is involved or forced to by authorities. What is bad is that it preys on people who are in danger and distracts them from getting proven treatment. I wonder how long before we get a Scientologist infomercial such as this

26. yogijulian says:

the next level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSOoqP6zCYI stop and think.

No, you stop and think:

that video has nothing whatsoever to do with what I do. Nothing. RPT has and requires no religious affiliation, it is not spiritual healing, it is not energy healing, it has nothing to do with belief work, or Theta brainwaves, or past lives.

By leaving that video on my post, and insinuating that there IS a connection, you are hoping to achieve what exactly Julian?

You say above that my work is irresponsible and 'unethical'. I am not the one spreading false propaganda about a method I know nothing about whilst simultaneously attempting to sabotage another fellow writers work!

Really, I am shocked and saddened by your behavior in this. You call yourself a Yogi and a Yoga teacher, but clearly you do not embody even the first 2 precepts Satya and Ahimsa. I could tell you a thing or two about responsibility, and ethics, and lineage, and respect, but I won't waste my time (and unlike you, when I say it, I mean it).

• Sarah Oakley says:

Friend Julian, a few words for you to consider from a fellow yogi. "Love thy neighbour as thyself".
      Consider that you may have created "your story" about Ben, and that this "story", this projection has frightened you and has seperated you from him. We are one and if we lack kindness to others we are hurting ourselves.
      Namaste.

27. […] ago I and several other EJ contributors were concerned about an article in which it seemed like Ben Ralston was claiming to be able to cure serious medical conditions (in this case a severe long term thyroid imbalance and depression) with a therapy he has learned […]

28. Yogatchr says:

Claims of emotional healing are one thing. You crossed the line when you got to the thyroid part though. This is dangerous and possibly even fraudulent. http:[email protected]

I am not trying to say you are not a nice guy with lots of enthusiasm, I am saying there is a tremendous responsibility for burden of proof when it comes to healing claims and you really should proceed with the utmost caution for your own good and those you want to serve.

• Mavin says:

That's exactly what I was thinking. If his thinking wasn't so twisted, defensive and evasive, I would at least grant him the placebo effect as this is well-documented in the literature. After reading his comments, I have to doubt the truth of his claims.

29. michelle says:

Wow, Ben. I just watched your video interview about RPT. I find you refreshing because you are matter of fact and straightforward about who you are; you don't try to come across as some spectacular person with special powers and for the cool price of this many Euros you can acheive enlightenment. You are approachable and respectful; you come from a place on the same level as all of us as spiritual beings contributing to the same consciousness. Your healing is simply a sharing to help those actualize what we are all deserving of. I feel sorry for those who feel the need to attack you based on your enthusiasm for seeing someone experience healing because it seems to me they are experiencing some self limiting thinking. You haven't taken credit for curing someone of their thyroid disease; you are merely pointing out that miraculously enough this person did experience a complete turn around in their health. I believe in miracles and if others would be open to this possibility they might see some miracles too. I would love to meet you and your wife one day, I hope to attend one of your retreats in the future! Cheers, M