Sick of the Yoga Girl Video? Give me Thumbs Up for Rock and Roll instead.

Via on Dec 9, 2011
yoga girl spandex'd & posing photo by J Plessner

Am I the only one who absolutely hated this video of The Yoga Girl video posted by Waylon Lewis?

Hate is a strong word for me. I seldom use it because it evokes judgment. I even teach my young kids that saying you hate someone or something is as bad as using profanity. Was I the only one who didn’t think the video was funny? Every time I turned around this week it was reposted on Facebook or emailed or tweeted by a friend, yoga teacher or studio owner. Viral but more like a virus.

A good friend told me to just “get over myself”. Alright, I know I should be able to just laugh at this but really? Why should we laugh at guys getting off on women who do yoga? Yes, we’re strong. Yes, we’re sexy. Yes, we usually have our shit together. But, why should this be funny?

I tell my students when I teach not to take their practice so seriously. It’s just yoga after all. We should be able to laugh and most importantly be able to laugh at ourselves. I want to be able to take my own life and practice lightly. As Elizabeth Lessor says, we’re all just “bozos on the bus”, each of us having frailty and failures, but we choose to wear a mask instead so we can try and hide who we are when actually, if we just realize everyone is just like us we’d lighten up. However, when a man is ogling at a girls in class, it takes a sacred tradition and morphs it into spandex and smarmy guys hitting on beautiful women. Are yoga studios the replacement for bars to pick up women? (I get the other side of this…Women (and men) who are just into their outfit, how they look in a pose, and getting a date out of it…but that’s not my point entirely.)

So now I’m revealing my True self. I’m way too serious most of the time. I should just “get over myself” as my level headed friend says and have a good laugh. But, I just can’t. Does anyone relate to this video being sadly pathetic? I’m not so sure because, I have yet to see one comment other than “hillarious, you have to see this!” Come on now Waylon, is everything all about sex, after all?

Here’s what I’d rather see go viral. Something that inspires, encourages and makes me “feel happy of myself”.  I’m tad polly-anna cheerful and proud of it.

YouTube Preview Image

About Melissa Smith

Melissa is a freelance writer, zealous traveler, momma, and AcroThaiTherapeuticsYogaLifeStudentOccasionalTeacher. She leads advanced teacher trainings for Leeann Carey Yaapana Yoga, specializing Therapeutic Partner Practice and hosts retreats in Texas, Thailand & New Orleans for Grace Yoga Retreats. Connect with her on Facebook, her Grace Yoga Blog, and Twitter. or read other Elephant Journal articles.

23 Responses to “Sick of the Yoga Girl Video? Give me Thumbs Up for Rock and Roll instead.”

1. chrys Kub says:

So, YogaGirl is a wake up call actually, to see past the commercialization, realize what it may have become and get back to what it's about….rock and roll!! thanks for the insight Melissa.

2. yoga girl says:

Did you know that there is another song called Yoga Girl that was released on SoundCloud and iTunes 6 months ago? To listen go to http://sou­ndcloud.co­m/metapunk­/yoga-girl or http://itu­nes.apple.­com/us/alb­um/yoga-gi­rl-single/­id44691861­6

3. yoga girl says:

4. Dax says:

Yes you're the only one that hates it.
    Yes, guys find women that have great, flexible bodies attractive, get over that.
    And yes, you need to get over yourself as evidenced by your title: "Melissa Smith, traveler, momma, AcroThaiYoga-fairy and 500 RYT 200 RYT Inspyrayoga… blah blah blah"
    Yes, you need to get over taking everything so seriously.

• melissa says:

dax.. so true…I tend to take it too seriously… but at least I can admit that I do. life is work in progress for sure.
      thanks for the comments.

• Vision_Quest2 says:

You don't have all that far to go, IMHO …
        For an acroyogi not to be into the exhibitionism part …
        That made my day, my week, and my year …

5. DeAnna says:

I found the video to be funny, as it's pretty easy to make me laugh, however it did bring up my strong feelings about yoga and it's massive commercialism and the fact that it secludes people of all shapes, sizes, colors, and ages. *sigh*

6. zenrin says:

i hadn't seen the video till i read Melissa Smith 's article. I completely agree with your "Polyana-ish preference" of what i like to see. Melissa, please do keep sharing your insights and also whee there is humor keep it. My hope is that whoever made or posted the video was laughing at themselves. "when we lose our sense of humor we have truly lost our way"–it is certainly an interesting question of who goes to yoga and why. personally, i am focusing so hard on what i am trying to be present with in my own practice thats all i care about on the mat.

• melissa says:

Zen! :) thanks for the comments.. humor… I'll work on that.
      love that apply your practice of being present- that's so hard- for everyone- certainly.

7. elephantjournal says:

Wow, just saw this.

Would have appreciated it if you had taken a moment to email your blog to me, since you're criticizing me for sharing a video that many, including myself, found to be a send-up of the very culture we regard as fluff and superfluous.

1. Remember I'm human, and posts implying that I think everything is about sex hurt me, if only a little. I don't think you know me. Perhaps you could read this, and get to know me (I just wrote it an hour ago, it's still warm): http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/12/i-havent-g

A few (and only a few) of the comments that result from your framing a serious question in a personal manner—hurt. Perhaps I should be more thick-skinned, but as a Buddhist that's not my practice–rather it's to stay open and raw, and in so doing live and learn.

2. Hope you appreciate the open forum we've provided you, and our readers. I believe in self-criticism, and laughing at ourselves. I ask because while I saw criticism for myself, I didn't see any appreciation for our hosting such a forum, which is rare among media. I don't see YJ hosting self-criticism on their site, for example.

3. One commenter called me a "frat boy." I'd ask folks to level criticism after having the respect to get to know who you're criticizing, first. Click on my author name. Look at my past 100 blogs. You'll find maybe 10 that are in any way related to sex, which is something I celebrate, or that are a commentary on sex and culture. You'll find few that objectify anyone—except perhaps for this one: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/02/rockstar-y… …

4. part of my job is to pass along relevant videos, issues…please don't shoot the messenger. I may pass along a video, but that doesn't mean we agree on everything about that video. The videos I pass along aren't generally by me, despite the directly-responsible language you use to describe my role in passing it along. Rather, again, I see it as part of my job to pass along everthing relevant to "the mindful life," with or without commentary. There are many things—Kim Kardashian doing naked yoga, or the naked yoga video trending internationally last month—that I choose not to cover, because they're just too dumb or I feel that I have no worthy commentary to offer. I bring that up because folks often charge me with blogging about things just to get traffic. Yoga Journal blogged about the Kardashian episode–elephant didn't.

Yours,

Waylon

• melissa says:

wow! well, first off, thanks for replying… :)

noted. yes, will email, spam, whatever you want to get your attention next time, got it!! :)

I thought about responding point by point, like you did. But I don't think I need to. I don't believe what I wrote was NOT about you or EJ directly- at all. It was about the video and how it made me, personally feel. The fact that you (via EJ) posted it and that we CAN post things like this to create humor, discussion, and transformation, just makes me all the more grateful. (see my reply above to "jennifer"'s frat house comment in your defense.)

I'm grateful, beyond grateful to be a part of this community. And, if you'll see by my most resent post… UNITY is my heart. http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/12/acro-yoga-

I love that it got you a tad riled up… shows me that you're human! :) (you know, like when I see someone else can't find where they put their car keys or when they say something totally ridiculous or unintentionally put their foot in their mouth. I think: thank god! I'm not the only one!! There are others just like me! more "bozos on the bus!!" not that you've done either of those things, but you get the idea. human. we're all human.)

I don't know how you do it all! Fielding all the comments/critiques on a daily basis. I imagine it would take some crazy thick skin… but regardless, My skin right now feels so thin, that if you touch me, I might crumble. So, if I offended, I apologize. Certainly, though, you have to agree… it takes provocative titles perhaps with a mention of sex here and there… to get the most "hits". But, I don't want to be that writer. It's just not me.

Thanks Waylon, your input / feedback is valued- as are you posts.

in joy, M

8. elephantjournal says:

PS: Ironically, I posted the video of that boy and his bike some months ago. http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/06/video-our-

Didn't see a similar blog offering kudos for doing such. I'll look for it…wish me luck! ~ Waylon

• melissa says:

oh, gosh I hope so! had quite a few friends re-post the video on facebook– saying let's spread the joy of this kid- but you know good stuff just isn't as viral as the controversial stuff.

9. elephantjournal says:

PS: another one you may enjoy: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/10/girls-vs-b

10. melissa says:

love this. love. this.

11. melissa says:

well said… it's about the bike. : )

12. melissa says:

thanks Kent for your honesty.
    your comments are certainly a reflection of Waylon's latest post, men and women can't be friends… hum.

13. melissa says:

thank you, Jennifer.

14. melissa says:

My pleasure! It's so worth it! this video makes me smile… for anyone who needs to be inspired… this kid's got it right! Thanks for posting.

15. melissa says:

i don't know about that. there's some amazing content here that often gets overlooked… or missed because it may not have a catchy enough tile or photo… take some time – the more I dig into it… the more i find some really unfrat-like stuff. Real. and genuine. :) thanks for posting.

16. melissa says:

thanks Tami! I hear ya! I'm cool with being the unpopular opinion!… :)
    Let the bike boy be heard!!!! :)