Real Christians.

Via on Mar 6, 2012

“Our Culture has accepted two huge lies.”

This goes beyond the immediate topic. I see elephant readers hate on one another in comments just about every day…arguing over yoga, we make enemies. Arguing about peace, we make war. ~ ed.

For more on what God and Jesus say, watch the best West Wing scene on the subject ever.

Bonus:

About Waylon Lewis

12 Responses to “Real Christians.”

1. oz_ says:

Along these same lines, this article is well worth reading:

Discusses the overwhelming preponderance of "liberal" values in the Bible, and questions whether today's 'vociferous' Christians have read it.

2. dan tanzo says:

I post the west wing video often

3. yogasamurai says:

You're confusing "hating' – a very overused word these days – with deep disagreement, and even spiritual warfare. There's a lot of BS at the core of the yoga world that still needs to be rooted out, my friend. And it starts with a lot of coming to Jesus discussions. Luke re-embraced his father – but only after he beat Darth Vader in battle – and his father, at last, "took off his mask." Capice?

• Joe Sparks says:

What is hateful is the hurt and not the human. Feelings are not a guide for intelligent humans.

4. Suri says:

Taking other peoples comments too personally doesnt help and then some people are just rude and disrespectful because they want to or because they have some kind of immunity ( a couple of EJ writers and eds) ….sorry i had to say it. Ive seen non-members getting kicked out for much less rudeness than that expressed by some members.

Anyways a healthy , respectful , balanced debate is always more desirable than the nasty , run while you can discussions that are so common lately.

• elephantjournal says:

We don't kick anyone out. We do block folks who use personal insults, but always let them back in if they ask. We have a simple comment policy, much less strict that treehugger.com or huffingtonpost.com…you'll see plenty of criticism on any of our blogs.

BTW, because you referred to eds, you're now banned from commenting for life.

• Suri says:

I can point you to the direction of one very vicious , nasty comment made by one of your writers if you want …i am not trying to harm anyone , and this is true …this particular comment was a reply to one of your other writers and it was long , personal an very offending it really stood out .
        This is not a defamatory comment , and it is certainly not the first time this person shows a disrespectful attitude …. Waylon there is no reson to react like this when what im saying is true …i will not mention her name here but if you want to know the whole story just give me a contact address ….my intention is to point out to your attention that your people should set the example ofpoliteness instead of being the fight starters. Thankyou …..Suri

5. joer says:

Got to be honest. Not a fan of Rick Warren. His quote is fine above, but he does not practice what he preaches.

6. Mark Ledbetter says:

As a fairly recent fan of ele I have to say, the level of civil debate and respect for opposing views here is higher than anything I’ve seen just about anywhere on the internet. Of course, I’m not reading ele articles but that’s how it looks to me.

Btw, two great quotes to start this thread! The second, the “bonus” quote, has no attribution. Was it really by the guy who’s picture is next to it? That’s a courageous thing for a national politician to say.

7. Mark Ledbetter says:

Whoops! Important edit! I AM reading articles. I left out a critical word. I'm not reading ALL articles, just some, so I might have missed invective somewhere, but generally I see very little of it at Ele.

BTW, that leads to my only complaint. You can't edit posts after sending. I sure would like to be able to do that.

8. [...] since I used to teach yoga in a Christian church, was raised Presbyterian and my father is a born-again Christian and deacon. Perhaps I was causing [...]

9. Lorre Fleming says:

I have to give Rick Warren credit. Reading his book, The Purpose Driven Life, was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back for me. I knew, after reading it, that though I’d been raised in a family that identified as Christian, I could no longer try to fit myself into that faith. Recognizing this allowed me to trust in the wisdom of my own heart, and I quickly found my way to the tradition that rings true in my mind and heart. So, many thanks to Rick Warren for that.

And if the above quote really did come from him, he gets a bow from me. Many of his views are anathema to mine, but I’m grateful to see basic goodness manifest in those words.