Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead.

Via on Apr 22, 2012
Photo courtesy: Kristin Luce

This video will do in five minutes what takes your meditation two hours.

What separates “boring” from “peaceful”?

Arguably it is the magic and beauty of innocence that emerges when we are truly open. Anyone who has practiced sitting meditation for more than a few minutes knows that you have to sit through a lot of “boring” (and sometimes worse) before the peace and magic begins.

This video of a baby’s first bath, on the other hand, cuts straight to the chase!

YouTube Preview Image
Read more:

15 Special Tips for My Pregnant Friends.

The Pregnant Goddess is an Electrified Being! ~ Carole Westerman

~

Editor: Tanya L. Markul

About Kristin Luce

Kristin Luce is slowly going sane by using her actual life and relationships to wake up. Her quest for truth has led her through a B.A. in Philosophy, an M.A. in Buddhist Psychology, intensive retreat practice, certification as a Meditation Instructor, two life-changing relationships and two life-changing kids. She now provides in-depth coaching for individuals and couples who want profound and dramatic transformation. An avid writer, she has been featured in such publications as Mothering Magazine and The Buddhadharma, and is a regular contributor to elephant journal. Friend her on Facebook, Twitter, her website or contact her at info@kristinluce.com.

234 Responses to “Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead.”

1. OwlJulie says:

Yes, this made me very nervous, and I thought maybe she was training the baby to be one of those babies that swim underwater and hold their breath at an early age. For one moment the open mouth was under water, and only the nostrils were left out of the water. The baby could have choked any instant if it wasn't breathing from its nose.

2. kelly says:

Very soothing and I felt the love there, thanks for sharing

3. Mary says:

Was a little nervous about the water running over the babies face and in her ear. But as it went on it seemed more relaxing for the baby and me

4. Carol says:

yes, what a a perfect transition from the womb into embodiment. if only every baby could begin their life on earth in this way!
    I agree, not a substitute for your morning meditation at all. If meditation is something that is difficult for you, or you find yourself having to "make yourself do it", then may I suggest looking into Transcendental Meditation – TM.org – for an effortless natural technique. I learned TM when I was 13, (36 years ago)

5. Faith says:

I was a little nervous watching this too, but I could see that the baby was loving it and the woman giving the bath was obviously so tuned in and loving. I think those of us who felt nervous likely did not have the most loving upbringings, at least it is true for me. I think watching this video could be healing for us. And as far as water on the face and head, think about taking a nice hot shower, I love feeling water streaming down my head and face! I hope since this video was in France too, that the water isn't super chlorinated like in many American cities, that would sting the eyes! thank you so much everyone for sharing here.

6. [...] – RE BIRTHING BATH -Amazing must watch video [...]

7. Deborah says:

Love this! ..and I love the music. Who are the musicians?

8. sanna says:

As a midwife I found this deeply moving. It makes me wonder how differently we usually do this in our hospital. The uttermost respect towards the new baby was really thought provoking.

9. viishalvarga says:

Beautiful. The ancient ritual bath, or abhishek, is done multiple times a day to the deities at nearly every temple in India, and every time its as magical, as it is the ritual of life itself. That why we go practice in the temples of India. its way different than we think, expect, as in India practice does not usually include asana but other remarkable rituals.

10. sukhpreet kaur says:

its amazing …n unbelievable

11. Zara Murphy says:

Hi I was just wondering if this is a particular method used on babies, I have never seen anything quite like it before. Was she just an amazing nurse or is it some sort of relaxation exercise. Does it have a name? I hope you all know what I am trying to say!

12. Dorothy says:

This was the most beautiful and peaceful experience I have ever witnessed. Oh for all of us to have had a start like this.

13. Rachel says:

Does anyone know the name of this music, just beautiful

14. jonathan says:

i want that bath.

15. Micol says:

AMAZING! Is there someone in the Uk that is trained to do this? thanks!

16. kristy says:

Was nobody else panicking that the baby was going to drown? I know they can breath underwater but i still panicked :/

17. Aea says:

I wish I lived in a society where grandmamas passed this kind of loving, nurturing, and reverence on to their daughter and sons when they had babies

18. reb says:

But it should be the new parents who have the pleasure of giving their new child its first bath!!!!

19. Maggie says:

What is she trying to do? Drown the child?

20. Lisa Dowler says:

My French isn’t perfect but I understand this is a result of many years of observation and reflection, and a technique she has developed. I had a little nervousness around the water on the face, but the babies were so calm and clearly enjoying every moment….I guess it is not long after emerging from a watery environment. I do wish the parents were involved in some way though.

21. sunshine says:

What a wonderful caregiver !! I wish all caregivers could watch the loving gentleness she gave these babies. So thorough, so careful and gentle. We all would want a nurse like that caring for our new borns. Beautiful !!

22. Dave Pimentel says:

Absolutely beautiful. And you're right this video "zonked" me… very relaxing :)

23. Roberto says:

Isn't one of the points of meditation to relax despite distracting or discomfiting stimuli? Watching the video, I found myself fearing for the baby, but I realized the fear was mine, not the baby's, and it was not "caused" by the nurse, or by the video. The nurse seemed to know exactly what she was doing, and was doing it with love and skill. The baby seemed to experience the whole situation in deep peace.

• KristinSLuce says:

This is the clearest response I have read to the several comments about fear for the baby! Beautiful.

24. Ayofemi says:

That was awesome. So gentle and soothing.

25. nicoleannreid says:

This video is wonderful. I have a question though. Is there some special technique she is using to bathe the baby? I have never seen anyone cup a baby's head like that in a bath tub. I realize it is a fairly new infant (hospital bracelet), but it seems like she has some kind of technique that she is doing. I saw the little infant massage at the end when the baby was in the blanket, but the bath itself looked amazing. Would love to know if there is any information out there about what she was doing! Thanks!

26. DeDe says:

A really nice video. I wanted to offer a comment as a long time mother/baby nurse. I just wanted to clarify that this baby is not a brand new newborn. She is probably a few days old as evidenced by the jaundiced tone of her skin and her drying umbilical cord stump.

27. Craig says:

I wish this bath for everyone twice everyday … once as the baby and once as the nurse.

28. Raven says:

Was this really the first bath? The first Childs umbilical cord had fallen off and I remember that happening several days after birth…

29. Amanda says:

Why don't more people know about babies ability to hold their breath? It's a survival instinct when they get water on their face….

30. LILLY says:

FIRST RELAX AND SPA BATH!!! WHAT A PLEASURE FOR THE BABY AND THE DOCTOR!!!!

31. Zoey says:

boring shit

32. Guest says:

Perhaps the suggestion to watch this instead of your regular mediation is a good one. Life circumstances change. How nice to have another experience in finding peace of mind when your regular method is not possible. Easy to be full of mind, peace, and thought when in your routine, but how lovely to get there in another way.

33. Lillian says:

It made me very afraid. I was filled with fear that the water was going to go up the baby's nose. Instead of evoking peace, it made me fearful.

34. [...] depth of our existence and try to venture back in time when life itself was nothing but a speck, when a ‘soul’ was piecing itself together, when the uncomplicated earth was giving way to complicated [...]

35. allison says:

this is the most beautiful thing ive ever seen

36. Joan says:

Me, too, Carol. I have been practicing TM for 30 years and nothing replaces it! It is simple, effortless
    and really works. Try it! You'lllike it! JS

37. Larry Barnes says:

I don't remember ever seeing anything so beautiful in my life. and I am 89 years old.

38. lola says:

There is something quit natural and instinctive in this for someone who is a mother. I remember well giving my child her first bath and it was quite similar. As for watching this replacing meditation, like a sort of meal replacement situation, give me a break. The spiritual materialism just never ends, does it. Making meditation continuously in to an objective to succeed at and to obtain, or as a cure with a goal has become the Western meditation jinx. Seeking for a meditation that ‘works’…is the bane of our current age. The bio of Kristin Luce says she has done 20 years of retreat practice…no she hasn’t…maybe a week here and a week or two there. Enough with the credentials already.

• KristinSLuce says:

You are right, Lola. I don't mean 20 years of solid retreat practice, but rather 20 years of engaging in retreat practice whenever I am able–and in my case that has been more than a week or two here and there. I apoligize if my bio is misleading.

39. Jorge says:

Wondrous footage, but I would have found it more interesting to hear the soundtrack of the woman’s voice (presumably French) as she bathed the infant than the new-age music.

40. neda says:

wonderful

41. Sam McNally says:

I'm a man who's never fathered a child (in this life) and I'm so glad this made me cry. It was achingly, and yet simply, beautiful. The caring, the simple-ness, the utter human-ness, the "this is all that matters" ness of it. The moment. The world can go away. This is real stuff.

42. jessica says:

it made me cry as well! why is everyone so fearful? this baby just came from being in fluid for nine months. it is much more accustomed to that than the cold harsh world. and she is a nurse…who looks quite talented in this regard. i wish this was the reality in the US but i dont think it is. it was beautiful.

• Joe Sparks says:

When I saw this video it reminded me of this pre-birth memory of being in my other's womb, the most amazing feeling of my life! I felt loved and connected with everything and everyone! I did not want to leave the womb. Every since then I have been trying to re-create that experience in my life, as an athlete, dancer, massage therapist, yoga teacher. Then, I figured it out, by allowing myself to go back in time reclaiming that connection with myself and noticing me as that being inside the womb is me! Getting more and more of myself back, as I feel all those feelings of being in love with my existence!

43. Sarah says:

Am i the only one wondering whether this woman is using chlorine-free water and worrying that the babies ears are getting full of water that could lead to an ear infection? Hmm, no wonder I have trouble meditating….

Yes, I see the raw beauty of the child- I have two of my own one of whom was 3 lbs at birth. This really was a sacred and special bath that I was obviously not refined enough as a parent to share with my own kids. There is an artfullness to everyday actions when one has complete awareness of the truth and beauty of the present moment. I forget that most of the time, good reminder.

44. Watch ;Water the Great Mystery. Nearly all water, especially tap water in every country in the world is de-natured and harmful. The sentiment and idea is beautiful, however I have to wonder, andI certainly would not recommend subjecting a new born to standard water. Pure water without chlorine, flouride negative imprinting,that has been re-structured, ionized and negatively charged is the waves of the near future. For your information see http://lightwon.enagicweb.info/.