Enjoy yourself. It’s later than you think.
~ Chinese Proverb
According to NASA and other scientists, the chances of an asteroid hitting the earth are very remote… though possible. In fact, it might happen by 2040.
This reminds me of other remote events: like you and me and everyone we love being born; like the perfect equilibrium of nature around and within us—without which, no one survives; like our fragile place in a life we borrow for 90 years or less…
Like every unexpected joy and sadness that shape this dear, finger-painted world; like the chances of me writing this paragraph and you reading it, and though we don’t know each other and we’ll most likely never meet, we share this minute now, against all odds, across space and time, walking on this bridge of words we’re somehow (remotely) building together.
I clicked on this video expecting a taste of the apocalypse in my nightmares. Instead, it redirected me to me. The end of the world has this way of turning you into a baby by stripping your mind naked and taking you back to where you first started…
And if this should happen tomorrow, in 2040 or in 2155, I want you to know five things:
1. I have no idea what love is, but I know it’s the beginning, the middle and the end of everything and I think I love you.
2. I’m sorry about all the pain I’ve added to your story. Other than love, it’s what I do for a living. I never meant for any of it and if I could find a pain-killer asteroid that could burn your pain to ashes, I’d send it to earth right now.
3. I see you. And you matter to me. And I care. I’m just not skilled at showing you how much. Sometimes I wish my mind was more like an open field than a troubled labyrinth and then I wouldn’t get so lost and, maybe then, you’d understand.
4. Thanks for all the greatness, but even more so, thank you for the little things, those you think no one notices or no one thanks you for but you do anyway. And thank you for the hard things, the ones that tear you apart and break your heart open, but you do anyway. And thanks for not being realistic, for not giving up, and for believing, anyway.
5. Don’t be scared. Everything is illuminated. Darkness is just another reason to reinvent the light.
All lovers, it’s time… fasten your seatbelts…
“We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.”
~ T.S. Eliot
~ Like elephant culture on Facebook. ~
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 631 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 4 shares Dear Pretty Young Woman Flirting with my Husband. 3,283 shares The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 1,102 share Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 1,022 share Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 8,439 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,392 share If you Want Him, you must Claim Him. 781 shares