Via on May 9, 2012

She’s a very cool lady.

Something so poignant occurred—she thanked me. This light filled 93-year-old, beautiful, intelligent, sharp, woman, thanked me (three times) for being patient with her while she got into her poses and we made art together.

Where do I have to be? What do I have to do? Who am I not to be patient?

Master Tao Porchon Lynch, a 93-year-old yoga master, ballroom dancer, oenophile (lover of wine) and former actress and model will be inducted into the Guinness Book of World Records for being the oldest living yoga teacher—this Sunday, May 13, Mother’s Day. Inspiration beyond comprehension.

Patience—the gift that gives so much back.

“And still, after all this time, the Sun has never said to the Earth,
‘You owe me.’
Look what happens with love like that.
It lights up the sky.”
~ Hafiz

Have a sweet Mother’s Day.

~ You can learn a lot more about Master Tao here ~

~ Follow Sturman’s Art journey here ~

~ For more of Robert Sturman’s photo series of various wonderful yoga teachers (plus, a few videos in the mix).

93 and lookin' good

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

~

Editor: Kate Bartolotta

About elephant journal

136 Responses to “A Meeting In Central Park With The Oldest Living Yoga Teacher In The World. ~ Photographed by Robert Sturman”

1. ManifestYogaJen says:

This brought tears to my eyes…… She is a goddess.
    I bow to you Sturman again and again. wow wow wow
    love jen

2. Robert, you and your work are a national treasure.

Incredible work.

3. MamasteNJ says:

Unbelievable Robert. You capture everything that Master Tao Porchon Lynch & Central Park has to offer. I am honored to know you.
    ~Mamaste

4. James Vincent Knowles jamesvincentknowles says:

awesome, Robert~!

5. I LOVE the red dress…the third photo down is stunning!!

6. Tyroanee says:

BeAutiful JoB Robert!… what a treat for sure.

7. Just posted to "Featured Today" on elephant yoga homepage, to elephant yoga on facebook,
    and @elephantyoga on Twitter.

Bob W. Associate Publisher
    facebook, twitter, linkedIn
    Yoga Demystified, Gita in a Nutshell

8. Anouscka says:

This better not be photoshopped Robert! I love your work and what an amazing yogini! Thank you for sharing this it inspires to keep on practicing every day.

9. Rogelio says:

She is wonderful and full of life.
    But i still question the acuracy of the oldest living yoga teacher in the WORLD????? I think a few INdian fellows would argue with this….

10. Sky Bridges says:

I am a 56 yr old woman who has been practicing yoga for a little over a year. What a wonderful journey it has been! I wish I had begun practicing much earlier in life.

Thanks very much for taking and sharing the photos of Tao Porchon-Lynch, Robert. They are incredibly beautiful and very inspiring. I love the contrast/play between the red of her clothing and the green leaves. I also really love the photo of her in peacock. It speaks to me not only of the balance we need to maintain in our physical lives, but also the balance that must be maintained between man (buildings in the background) and nature (trees and grass).

I wish you continued success as a photographer.

11. Tammy says:

Her smile radiates happiness and love. Truly beautiful lady and truly beautiful shots. I loved everything about this!

12. Colette White says:

You are a sweet heart Robert. This woman is beautiful in many ways.

Even though she is 93, your photos capture such innocence.

• Valerie Carruthers ValCarruthers says:

I suspect that innocence you perceive is revealed because Robert has photographed a true master. Masters such as Tao see every moment with the pure wonder of beginner's mind.

13. Mari Jo says:

Fantastic Tao and Robert!! These are lovely, Robert, thank you for always sharing your work.

14. Saundra says:

The photos are fabulous in themselves and that Tao is 93 is added magic to them! What an inspiration she is! Thank you both for sharing your art!

15. joanne says:

what beauty……grace…..effortless grace…..she is stunning and inspiring ! thank you for giving your nyc trip some REAL ness….little tired of the elena brower photo

16. Kristine Stanski says:

SO beautiful and inspiring thank you. But please know beloved master B.K.S Iyengar is also 93.

17. Lindsay says:

The last photo of her is my favorite. Look at her face…not a care in the world. Thank you for the inspiration Robert.

18. liliana says:

I think, not sure, that the oldest yoga guru is BKS IYENGAR.
    May be the two of them are the oldest … I do not know
    Anyway, Master Tao Porchon Lynch is a wonderful yoga teacher who is aging gracefully because of her daily yoga practice, I believe

• It would be possibly one of the most obvious facts for the Guiness Book of World Records people to check, since Mr. Iyengar is world-famous. He is indeed the same age, 93, their birth years the same, 1918. However, since Mr. Iyengar's birthday is December 14 — literally 2 weeks before the end of the year — I've no doubt that Miss Lynch's birth date makes her older, even if only by some weeks or months (although it doesn't mention anywhere what her birth date is). She has also studied with Mr. Iyengar, so I've no doubt she's well aware of who is older.

Regardless, while I find her mood and character a wonderful subject of a shoot (and well done again, Robert! love your work…), it is a little amusing for those of us in India who know people older than Ms Lynch and still teaching yoga, as you point out. While I wouldn't want to detract from her day of glory, I guess to the Guiness people, "the world" doesn't include India? Interesting….albeit incredibly short-sighted and narrow-minded…..

• Steven says:

I agree that it may be very possible that there are older Yoga teachers, in fact very likely. Please if you know of one post their information.

19. Jamie says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. Inspiration doesn't even begin to cover it. Simply beautiful.

20. Love the red dress! She's so vibrant, so full of vitality. Lovely!

21. Simply breathtaking from start to finish. That dress is off the chain. Robert, were you responsible for that too?! I applaud your humility and her audacity, resulting in both of you shining so super bright. No apologies, however sweet, are necessary on anyone’s behalf here. Inspiration all around.

22. Carol Horton carolhortonbooks says:

93? Wow. It that's not inspiring, I don't know what is. Thanks!

23. Mary Freels Church says:

My first impression was amazement at the things Master Tao could do with her body. However, when I really looked at the photographs, I was deeply moved by the pure joy that you captured so well in her eyes.

Thank you for sharing these photographs with the world. By doing so, you have transported some of that joy to a stranger far from you.

24. teejat says:

Great article, beautiful and inspiring. Though, recently I too a trip to India and met a 103 year old yoga teacher. So, "Oldest Yoga Teacher in the World," isn't quite accurate.

• emilie carron says:

i work very much myself lada 80 years old, to reach her level i need more than 20 years, master tao torchen she is marvelous.

25. Jenn says:

So inspiring and gorgeous photography!

26. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Simply beautiful, Robert! What lovely photos! You can really feel the positive energy and beauty emanating from these photos!! xoxoxoxo

27. I love this SO much. I feel inspired and excited for my future :-) Thank you for these beautiful photos, Robert!

28. [...] A Meeting In Central Park With The Oldest Living Yoga Teacher In The World. ~ Photographed by Robert…. [...]

29. Janardana says:

maybe the oldest in America, I know few older (met in person) living in India…. anyway, she must be a nice lady to meet :)

30. [...] A Meeting In Central Park With The Oldest Living Yoga Teacher In The World. ~ Photographed by Robert…. [...]

31. [...] A Meeting In Central Park With The Oldest Living Yoga Teacher In The World. ~ Photographed by Robert…. [...]

32. Micheline Berry says:

tears… thank you.

33. Beverly says:

Beautiful work. I am a very proud mom.
    Love you, Robert.

34. Lana says:

She's amazing. Great arms!
    I aspire to be like her.

35. Sat Nishan Singh says:

Not sure if she is the oldest – I was at the Parmeth Niketan Ashram in Rishikesh Several years back and this guy (on the right) was 99 then and teaching and doing incredible posture (both legs behing his head.

36. molly says:

Agreed about the inaccuracy of the "oldest yoga teacher in the world" title.

37. yvonne says:

Beautiful! Inspiring. THank you

38. Sober says:

This woman is vain indeed.
    She is not the world’s oldest teacher of yoga, and her skill is not formidable. Just because she has 93 years doesn’t mean she has to be so athropied.

39. [...] A Meeting In Central Park With The Oldest Living Yoga Teacher In The World. ~ Photographed by Robert… [...]

40. Oliver says:

All I can say is BKS Iyengar. As well as who-knows-how many-other-Indian-yogis. Change the title please.

41. The distinction of "oldest living yoga teacher" is being made by Guinness. Maybe their criteria is that the person still be actively teaching an asana practice? Yes, Iyengar is around the same age (I believe also 93), but he has been retired from teaching officially for many years, though he still writes and travels to lecture/teach.

In any case, I find this to be a huge inspiration! I think it will be awhile before I complain that I'm getting "too old" to do anything! Beautiful work, Robert.

42. [...] posted a lovely article from Elephant Journal about the oldest yoga teacher in the world – 93-year-old Tao Porchon Lynch. The photos of this yoga master, ballroom dancer, wine lover, actress, and model are beautiful. [...]

43. OMG! I loooove this!

44. mahnaz says:

where and what time in Central park this sunday?

45. Aigul says:

Tao Porchon Lynch (what an incredible name) reminded me about another old yoga instructor,
    Bette Calman from Australia, who is now 85-86 years old.
    These amazing ladies who are so life loving and bright are really inspiring!

46. [...] http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/05/a-meeting-in-central-park-with-the-oldest-living-yoga-teacher… Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. from → Uncategorized ← What is Hygge? No comments yet [...]