Bad skin? No make up? Hair a mess? Come here & kiss me, you’re beautiful.

Via on May 7, 2012

“AnnaLynn McCord posted this on Twitter, saying

‘I woke up this morning and decided I’m over Hollywood’s perfection requirement. To all my girls (and boys) who have ever been embarrassed by their skin! I salute you! I’m not perfect – and that’s okay with me!’

Salute to AnnaLynne!”

Image via Imgur, via Twitter. Quotes via Reddit:

“I actually like her natural self a lot more. I think her curly hair is gorgeous and I’m not a fan of the plastic look in general…Real is better than edited.”

“Mad props. Im sure this made tonnes of people out there feel better about themselves.”

“I try my damned hardest to remain “above” damaging media portrayals of women. I don’t let it bother me, and I have pretty decent self esteem as a result. But as someone who has always struggled with acne (my skin looks very similar to hers in the umakeup’d pic), to the point that I have actually cried over it and how worthless and unattractive it makes me feel, this actually makes me feel pretty great.”

For more: More Attractive with less Make Up?

For more on maitri, click here.

About Waylon Lewis

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

29 Responses to “Bad skin? No make up? Hair a mess? Come here & kiss me, you’re beautiful.”

1. jessea24 says:

♥ ♥ ♥

• normal_girl says:

I don't know who this is either but she looks like a normal person you might want to hang out with in the right photo (and amazing hair!) and a plastic multiethnic barbie doll in the left. I know which one I prefer!

2. Paige says:

Uh, wow! She's even more beautiful WITHOUT perfect hair and makeup than with all that fake-up. I can't get over her hair…look at those beautiful curls!

Thanks for posting this, it really made me smile and think of how beautiful the world and its people really are.

3. Guest says:

Who is Annalynn McCord?

4. Ashley says:

Good for her! I love this. Hopefully more women will see this and realize that true beauty lies within.

5. Lalana says:

I am not aware of her work but I have really found a huge LIKE for her with this and I think she looks way better with her natural look. So awesome she did that:) Great thing for a young lady role model type to do in Hollywood! Bravo!

6. Maureen says:

she looks so beautiful without makeup and natural!!!

7. Aella says:

This post just made my day. My ex would always say how pretty I am, and so does my current bf. I never really believed them, but this picture kind of makes me understand now. I think she looks amazing, “bad” skin and all.

8. sethbrigham says:

I think she's beautiful either way, but, is it possible it's not just natural but the effects of a Hollywood lifestyle.

9. sagejessicamurphy says:

Thanks for re-posting Way, and for your thoughts.

But I'm sitting here biting my lip.

Why?

Because nearly every single one of your advertisements, including your own Elephant Journal banner, features what we (the consumer) have come to associate with standard media imagery. The images that you, your writers, editors, and advertisers have chosen to post alongside your content are not unlike the "edited," "barbie" version of AnnaLynn featured in the image above. Each time I choose to click on any link attached to Elephant Journal, I am bombarded with images of women who are thin, half-naked, and by all media standards, the status quo for what is beautiful in our culture.

Right now, on my computer screen as I browse your journal, I see an image of a "yoga goddess" who is dressed like she is about to dance a set at a strip club, an ad for "Live Hot Yoga," a VERY skinny "naked" person/woman, and another image of a scantily clad woman contorted into what must be some type of sexy yoga position.

Shall I go on?

The images that you (yes YOU my friend Waylon) choose to perpetuate are ALSO worthy of some serious deconstruction.

Will yoga make me young, thin and beautiful or do I have to already be young, thin and beautiful in order to do yoga?

Do high heels and back bends go hand in hand in your yoga world, because I can tell you from experience that they sure as HELL don't in the real world.

Are these images of women selling me yoga, or are they women selling me sex? Or is both? I can't tell.

Let's talk about "LIVE HOT YOGA," shall we?

Sure read one way it is a cute and innocuous play on words and a neato way to advertise a yoga school. But if I read it with the alternate meaning in mind, am I to assume that I will be watching women perform LIVE HOT YOGA from behind a plexiglass window while seated on a sticky, stained vinyl couch? Do I pay to watch or can I join in? Does it require lotion or just a lot of one dollar bills? Or maybe I can pay by credit card and watch on my computer. That would be hot.

On many levels Elephant Journal is doing wonderful things, but don't forget to take a look around at the water in this funky fish bowl of ours.

If you are going to talk the talk, you best figure out a way to start walking the walk.

Just keepin' it real.

Your friend and fellow stumbler on the miserable, wondrous, heart breaking, and joyous path of the bodhisattva,

Sage

• Lorre Fleming says:

I have to say, I agree on all points. I love Elephant, love this post. But I see a lot of images of “perfect-looking” women on Elephant and scant few that look like the majority of us do. And that kinda hurts.

• Jenn says:

He's got to pay the bills in order to keep Elephant Journal afloat. Unfortunately, those ads and stories featuring pretty hot young yoginis are what sells (just like in the rest of American media). While I don't like or agree with it, I do want Elephant Journal to survive, so I try to ignore the pics and dive into the content.

Until the whole system changes, I don't think there's another way. Those ads/stories are *still* what most people click on, and clicks are what Waylon needs to pay the bills.

10. Emily C says:

Good on her!! Great post, thanks!!

Its a struggle being a girl in this day and age, but luckily my yoga keep me grounded. More posts like this please!!

11. [...] already know, it wasn’t your thighs or your arm jiggle. That’s just in your pretty little head. It wasn’t that annoying hormonal breakout you had last week.You are the only one who paid that any attention. You’re just human, baby, and us humans we [...]

12. [...] “You stop trying to fix yourself and start being yourself.” ~ Baron [...]

13. Hello there, You have performed an excellent job. I’ll definitely digg it and in my opinion recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

14. j nicole says:

Bigbig smile on my face!!

15. [...] weight will fall off, you’ll sleep better, your digestion & elimination will improve and your skin will [...]

16. Jason Gan says:

I prefer the authentic version to the "perfect", "trophy", airbrushed celebrity personality.

17. Angela Grace says:

Interesting. Lately, the more natural I look, the more compliments I get from men. Definitely receiving this message from the universe. I think the best part about this is the insight that beauty on the inside eclipses the outside. What comes from this is freedom – freedom to go au natural, freedom to do it up.

18. Lorre Fleming says:

I’d never heard of Ms. McCord until I Google searched curly hairstyles prior to a recent trip to the hairstylist’s. Turns out AnnaLynne has hair a lot like mine. I still don’t know why she’s famous, but she gets major points from me for making a gutsy statement (and for sportin’ rad curls).

19. @BradHines says:

Amen! The only beautiful photo of Kim Kardashian I ever saw was when she had no makeup on that she was apparently appalled with. Light makeup to none often looks so much better. Also, when girls raise the bar for themselves by wearing so much each day, when you get used to it they don't look like them when they have it on. Rather, it's better to wear it sometimes and blow the guys socks off when they do.

20. thingsofallure says:

She's gorgeous, makeup or not. But how does this make women feel better about themselves, when she looks a million times better without make up than the average woman even wearing make up?

21. I completely agree. I've always preferred the natural look!

22. Penny says:

As a mother of two teenage girls I am glad you posted this and will share it. I also take note of Sage's comments – she has a good point to make (but do see some attractive unmade up photos of your writers too).

23. jennymahita says:

super fun • beautiful & brave

24. @minusgreen1 says:

"Perfection" is subjective. She's lovely au naturel.

25. adb227 says:

Yes, she looks Hollywood sans the makeup … post a real woman with no makeup before and after and I will be impressed.