Girls Girls Girls. ~ Lindsay Friedman

Via on May 22, 2012

If I had a diary, this show would be the television version of it.

Eccentric women thoroughly enjoying their 20s, with wacky jobs and lively sex-capades. This show will give you every reason to laugh at all your misadventures.

I am into episode six of the HBO’s hottest television show, Girls, written by the 26-year-old comedian and actress, Lena Dunham. In this hilarious depiction of Lena’s life after college, Hannah (Lena’s character) and her NYC friends experience the transition from the comforts of college to being independent women in the real world.

After the first episode, I was hooked. I felt that every experience—awkward, sexual, funny, embarrassing, emotional—was telling the story of me and my friends. My friends and I, some who have graduated and some who have not, are going through this transition from college women with few responsibilities to real women who are going to make a difference in this world. Dunham captures us exquisitely, no matter how weird our private moments may be.

The beauty of this show is how relatable it is. We’ve all experienced that talk of cutting financial ties with our parents or an awkward sexual experience that left you feeling shitty about yourself, but I have never seen a show portray misadventures so well.

This may sound a little crazy, but I have gone through the same thing Marnie in Episode 3: All Adventurous Women Do. I was seeing a guy that was too nice to me and I didn’t like it. I didn’t know what to do about someone who genuinely liked me without playing games. It was as if Marnie and I wanted guys who are a bit of an assh*le yet super sweet. Classic catch-22.

Check out the trailer of Girls:

YouTube Preview Image

A few days ago when I was browsing HBO’s free movies On Demand, I stumbled upon Tiny Furniture, a movie by Dunham, which I believe to be the inspiration for Girls. I was immediately excited and now obsessed.

The characters are slightly different and it begins with Lena moving back home with her mother and sister instead of living on her own in NYC. She is going through a rough college transition and wants the people around her to let her be—let her make mistakes without judgment, drink all of her mother’s alcohol without repercussions and stay out late while she has one night stands in the park. This hilarious movie will make you want more—more of Lena’s hilarious realities.

Here’s the trailer:

YouTube Preview Image

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lindsay Friedman is a senior studying environmental science and sustainable development at the University of Colorado at Boulder. She is an intern at elephant journal and has a part time job at The Fitter. She is a true Chicagoan turned mountain girl. Follow her on twitter: Laine0315.

About elephant journal

11 Responses to “Girls Girls Girls. ~ Lindsay Friedman”

1. Carolyn says:

Lindsay, I am so with you on this one. Girls is magic. Thank you so much for posting this because I had no clue there was a movie. Totally putting it on right now.

2. lindsaylainefriedman says:

Thanks Carolyn! The movie is fabulous.

3. alinamo says:

I'm seriously in love with Lena Dunham, Girls and Tiny Furniture. Such beautiful, stark and true writing and the willingness to show the not-so-great side of herself is really heartening. I'm 37 and feel like she's writing parts of my life. Thanks for spreading the love!

4. lindsaylainefriedman says:

That's awesome that you feel like it reaches to you and not just the 20 somethings. I totally agree with that. All women experience misadventures, at any age.

5. meeshell88 says:

Elephant journal Boulderized. First Bonaroo, now this? With all heartfelt compassion, I don't think I am the only reader that would prefer you keep it on 'the hill' and the Fitter. Try writing something about yourself, open up to your audience, and let go of something that you are holding on to. As a reader, I would rather hear about something in your life that you have buried deep down, some memory or experience that you don't want to face, but need to get it out there to continue to find the peace within yourself, which (I think) is an important part of Elephant Journal. Since you just graduated from college, what are your dreams? What is your purpose for living? You are a beautiful person (I had a class with you last semester) and you have a good heart, but will only continue to fake yourself if you cover up your inner spirit with layers about what television shows you like and don't like.

• elephantjournal says:

Hmmm, anonymous friend…I thought (as editor) that was precisely the point of this fun little article by Lindsay—to share her enthusiasm for these stories with our readers that, for her and many of her friends, help to open up their own real-life crazy difficult wonderful lives.

I thought Lindsay was being wide open, even brave, above—her commentary went well beyond "I like this TV show!" Not sure that's fair criticism.

Am I missing something?

6. Great review, Lindsay.

Bob

7. lindsaylainefriedman says:

Meeshell88––Thank you for your comments. This time I wanted to blog about something fun. I love to write articles about sustainable agriculture, community development, and traveling, but sometimes its nice to write about pop culture. And at least I am not comparing my life to Real Housewives on Bravo, because that would be me faking it. Anyways, it's nice to get any type of feedback from readers so I'll be sure to use your advice for the next article I write.

Cheers,
    Lindsay

• I think it takes more talent to connect with things that are newsworthy and still keep them personal and relatable sometimes than it does to just spout out your own opinions and ramblings. Nice work, Lindsay. I keep reading about the show but haven't seen it yet. I'll have to check it out.

8. Kristina says:

I love the review, Lindsay. I'm also obsessed the Hannah Horvath (and Girls)…she and the show are awesome! I'm 41 and every episode is like traveling in a time capsule back to my 20s.

Thanks for the movie tip, too.

9. [...] At the same time, even if we try and plan everything out all young adults soon learn life has many twists and turns and as those of us who have experienced it know you could very well end up in a place far different than where you envisioned. [...]