10 Times not to Text.

Via on Jul 26, 2012
Via Restless Tortuga

“LMK if Dad Makes it, K? THX!”

Texting is great for lots of things.

I actually prefer texting to a phone call, most times.

It’s a quick, convenient way to stay in touch.

Some people, though, seem to have forgotten when texting is appropriate, and when it isn’t—ever.

The idiots’ guide to when not to text:

1. Don’t text during your wedding.

2. Don’t text during a funeral.

3. Don’t text while walking.

4. Don’t text during sex.

5. Don’t text during yoga class (unless you work for Facebook).

6. Don’t text during meals.

Now, some people would argue with that one, but to me, be where you are. Talk with the people you’re with. Unless it’s a quick text to someone on their way to meet you: Put the phone down.

7. Don’t text while driving. Ever. Ever. Please. Never.

8. Don’t text while walking. It bears repeating. You look like a jackass. You are going to trip and break your stupid smartphone.

9. Don’t text in the bathtub or on the toilet. I would hope this goes without saying (but I’m guessing it doesn’t).

and last but not least:

10. Don’t text while you are doing something else.

Just do one thing. Send a text and pay attention to that. Talk to the people who are with you and just do that.

Multitasking makes us stupid.

We all try to do it and end up doing everything mindlessly and without focus.

So if you are eating a peach, close your laptop and let that delicious peach juice drip all over your face and make a wonderful mess without worrying about your keyboard. If you are in the bathtub, just be there and let it be like liquid meditation. If you are making love, you better not be anywhere near that damn iPhone, please, for the love of Cary Grant and all that is sacred—just be present.

And if someone dies, make an actual phone call. Don’t be that guy.

Like The Mindful Life on Facebook.

About Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is the strongest girl in the world. She is the love child of a pirate and a roller derby queen. She hails from the second star to the right. Her love of words is boundless, but she knows that many of life’s best moments are completely untranslatable. When she is not writing, you may find her practicing yoga, devouring a book, playing with her children, planting dandelions, or dancing barefoot with her heart on her sleeve. She is madly in love with life and does not know how this story ends; she’s making it up as she goes. Kate is the owner and editor-in-chief of Be You Media Group. She also writes for The Huffington Post, elephant journal, The Good Men Project, The Green Divas, Yoganonymous, The Body Project, Project Eve, Thought Catalog and Soulseeds. She facilitates writing workshops and retreats throughout North America. Heart Medicine, Kate's book on writing, is now available on Amazon.com You can follow Kate on Facebook and Twitter

51 Responses to “10 Times not to Text.”

1. B says:

You forgot: Don’t text while at the MOVIES!

• T.J. says:

Wehrenberg theaters have a zero tolerance “no mobile devices during the coming attractions and feature presentation” policy. Once those lights go down, that phone better be silenced and stashed, until the credits roll (you can step into the hallway)… otherwise, you are asked to leave without a refund.

2. Lori says:

I find someone's rules on when I can text or not quite unsettling. its texting, which in my opinion is quieter than making a phone call, lets say at a funeral. I just attended a good friend's father's funeral where I received a text & yes I read it & I returned a reply. I felt it more appropriate than making a call to the person, who was by the way coming to the parlor & checking the directions. So, who am I or you to decided when texts are appropriate or not? I find most people who have rules for inappropriate times of texting are those my age and its embarrassing! get with the new way of living! its liberating!

• Hi Lori, you are welcome to text when you like. These are my thoughts on times when I find it inappropriate to text, but to each her own.

That said, I fully plan to haunt anyone who is texting during my funeral.

Yours,
      Kate

• Cathy says:

I agree with you 100%. The people who oppose are entitled to their ignorant opinions. Pay attention people. Especially ms. Pony tail in the big SUV who’s on the damn cell and not paying attention to the road.

• Mike Tragesser says:

Liberating, or just addictive to pointless constant communication? The person who texted you at the funeral knew you were at the funeral. They could have got directions at any number of other sources, or ahead of time. It was unecessary and made you appear rude at a funeral. Think before you text, is this really necessary? might the other party have something better to do? People text on their way to see people. That is ridiculous, as you are going to see them in a few minutes. I'm leaving, I'm coming, I'm almost there, I'm outside…. Jesus! Who cares just get here and we will, you know, talk and look at each other, OK?

• Joby says:

Liberation and freedom does't mean a pass card to be a jackass. It's just common sense and r-e-s-p-e-c-t. Thanks Kate, you are great.

• SoundGuy says:

If you're gonna text at a funeral, at least have the common decency to excuse yourself, step away from the casket and go out to the hallway or foyer. You can be 'liberated' and still show the proper respect such an occasion merits.

3. meg says:

i agree times are changing but too much of a good thing, in this example texting, can become a distraction from being present in the other important moments of our lives, no matter how old you are :)

4. Awesome post. And great to be reminded to do just one thing at a time. I'm unsuccessfully recovering from bad multitasking but never text in the car unless parked somewhere. Guilty of texting and walking. *blush*

5. Ronna Holtz Ronna26 says:

No kidding. I found out my friend died on instagram. Luckily you can book flights for funerals with electronics as well. Ugh.

6. Lori says:

I promise I will respect your wishes at your funeral Kate! If ever I manage to live longer than you, I too text while walking & could easily drop in a hole lol

7. Liz says:

Often we text because we don't really want to have a conversation which would possibly be quite long winded and we can't really or don't really want to invest in the emotional pull that involves!

8. veedub says:

also: don't text during chemotherapy unless you are looking for a ride home (and you should have arranged it earlier, dumbass!)

9. [...] are so wrapped up in emails and texts; it’s a beautiful change of pace. When we write it down on paper, with ink, we take our time a [...]

10. Karma Kittyn says:

Don't text to dump someone.

11. sadpanda says:

No, "don't text while driving" deserves two entries, not "don't text while walking". Texting while driving kills. Texting while walking is more of a "no, please never ever".

12. Tara says:

Why can’t I text while in the bathroom? What’s it to you? Do I really need to be fully “in” that moment? I can’t multitask that one? Please.

• Laura says:

That's what I was thinking. haha

• Katie says:

There was a study about the amount of fecal matter on cell phones, and it was utterly horrifying. You really can't be away from your phone while sitting on the can? Remind the rest of us never, ever, ever to borrow your phone.

13. Darrell says:

I think that people who find others rude for texting should say something to them. Posting a list is a little like being passive aggressive – don’t say stuff to their face but them complain about it after.

I text during many of your listed taboo times. I don’t find it rude if others do. Different values. Perhaps different generations. But I do speak up when someone is doing something that I find rude. I like to let them know they may wish to be more discrete.

14. Cris says:

Also… never text when you have been drinking ! : ) Great post x

15. Mr Tang says:

Love this! X

16. Trevor says:

Don't break up with someone by text. Big rule.

17. sierracallow says:

Great rules for society. But needs a follow up article "What not to text". Eg. break up texts, stupid drunk texts. I found out in a one-sentence message from FB that my best friend had taken his life. People have become seriously deluded as to what appropriate communication is these days. With the kind of power that smart phones bring to change our lives there needs to be guidelines for how we use them (i.e. guidelines for being a socially acceptable and considerate human being!).

18. MeAndYou says:

Text: "I'll pick you up asap" Me: Who is this? text: Mom Me: wrong number. Me: But I was impressed my mother learned to text and drive since I saw her yesterday. Big ha ha ha for us both. My new mom is now my friend (not really but sounds good).

19. Kate says:

I am a 29 year old university student and it boggles my mind how much many of my peers text in class. I see so many of these students glued to their smartphone. I have no qualms turning off my phone while I am at school. But from what I’ve seen you’re right, Kate, it makes people stupid and you know what else it does? It makes people passive learners. I see a lot of my peers have little to no interest in participating in class so it seems that these days unless your information comes on a smartphone it isn’t interesting. I don’t know, maybe I’m just old fashioned.

20. karenkatz says:

well, full disclosure-I don't have a smart phone, don't even text on my old fashioned flip open cell phone-but even if I were to text, I would try to text as little as possible, and definitely mindfully and not while I was doing anything else.
    In 20 years or so, I fully expect many people to have pain and stiffness both in their thumbs and in their necks-I am not kidding about this….God didn't mean for us to always be looking down at something, or using our thumbs that way.

21. Don't text when what you have to say requires courage and willingness to deal face-to-face with the other person's reaction. In other words, don't text when you are BREAKING UP with someone.

22. Allen Howells says:

But eating that peach and letting it run down your face while you’re in the bath tub is OK in my book.

I do agree with your viewpoint on texting.it really has become rampant and far too accepted as a form of communication when a phone call or meeting someone face to face is far more important. I occasionally rent out a spare bedroom or two in my home and advertise this on Craigslist. In the ad I specifically asked people to call me to set up an appointment to meet and greet each other to see if we are compatible. I automatically reject all text messages asking about the room.

Keep up the good manners! :)

23. kat says:

Planting dandelions? They are a weed, fast spreading pest, unless you eat them at the same rate, it’s bad for the flora. Peace now

24. Camille Sheppard Dohrn says:

How about if we all simply decided for ourselves about the appropriateness of our texting unless its going to hurt someone else?… Its against the law to text while driving, but I think that's the only one on this list that poses a safety risk to others. If my daughter is texting while I'm having a conversation with her and she's not paying attention, I ask her to stop for a moment. Why take it personally? If I were getting married and the guy I was marrying pulled out his phone and started texting, I'd be insulted, then I'd probably walk out and be grateful that it happened before the ceremony was over so that five years into it I had to deal with the fact that the marriage wasn't working. If I drop my phone in the toilet while texting, thats my problem. If I trip and fall on my face while walking and texting, I'll have some road rash on my face, but I think that too is my problem. What if we stopped trying to decide what's appropriate and what isn't? Maybe we'd stop judging other people's behavior and start actually being present with them and to ourselves.

25. chris says:

…except…Camille….to "start actually being present with them and to ourselves" (interesting phrase) we would have to not be, um, texting? Right? Less texting, more talking is the message here. Pretty simple. Pretty obvious. Stop whining about your right to text whenever you want and start thinking about what the message is. It's the truth. Over-texting is simply an addiction which has become rampant and it does effect everyone. Get a grip.

26. Tracy says:

Multitasking makes us stupid?